The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are PC users going to use the armory system?

• Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will use the 2 slots, but keep dressing room. Changing morphs is primary benefit I see. I have no interest in vampire/werewolf, but see that as a benefit to those that do play those.

I will not buy additional slots due to being character specific. Same as with outfit slots, if it was buying a slot that got applied to all characters I could see it as an option, but not a value option without that. I expect the cost to be similar to $15/slot for outfits.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't. I don't do anything that requires swapping out builds. I don't use the addon either for that reason.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they actually say that you must buy additional slots per character? Or did they mean that when you buy an additional slot it becomes available per character? I'm curious to check that out on the PTS on Monday-- although I doubt I'll be buying more slots, anyway, since I've never even bought any additional character slots-- yet, anyway. ;)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I will. I don't want addons cluttering my game. I think it will be most useful for the vampires/werewolves that I don't always want that way and for the Khajiit, Argonian and Dark Elf to switch between magicka and stamina. Although the latter would take a load of inventory space, so I might have to learn how to stop hoarding. Oh to have single player game style storage.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Did they actually say that you must buy additional slots per character? Or did they mean that when you buy an additional slot it becomes available per character? I'm curious to check that out on the PTS on Monday-- although I doubt I'll be buying more slots, anyway, since I've never even bought any additional character slots-- yet, anyway. ;)

You have to buy them per character. So if you have 10 character, you'd need to buy 80 slots (2 per character already unlocked) to unlock them all.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it's mostly useless because I want to be able to switch gear on the job. Sneak stacked gear to the middle of the sewers, vicious death when I'm waiting for someone to bomb 8)

Same with dungeons according to the dungeon and pug group, and likewise for battlegrounds to flip skills/gear by game and map (eg some maps you want to knock people over edges, other maps you want to be fast)
    Too many toons not enough time
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will. Particularly if I want to level Undaunted for my DPS characters. I can fully set them up as tank with the right attributes/morphs, rather than just slapping tank gear on them and hoping for the best.
    The Moot Councillor
  • codierussell
    codierussell
    ✭✭✭✭
    gronoxvx wrote: »
    Wouldn’t be surprised if the game was patched to prevent Dressing Room/Alpha Gear from working. Esp if it presents a conflict with an in-game official system.

Id be curious to see this happen, but i think it would cause even more of the raiding community to go to other mmo's.

But in all honesty, nothing surprises me with zos anymore, so theyd probably derp and end up doing it.

Pretty sure ZOS has had it with catering to the smaller raiding community at the cost of gaining new players or keeping the large existing main body of players. This is arguably reflected in the continued push for hybridization, companions, set collections, etc.

You’re not running a good service if it can be held hostage by the petty wants of a select few. That’s poor management of your property. And I’m also sure that the overall transactions of the non-whales has eclipsed that of the whales with the changes to the crown store.

I'm interested how add ons used by end game raiders prevent new players to start the game?
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    I won't. I don't do anything that requires swapping out builds. I don't use the addon either for that reason.

Same here.
    PCNA
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait until we see what it's like I suppose.
    Addons can make the game a bit clunky (too many), so I'm all for in game solutions as long as they do the same or better, of course.
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    richo262 wrote: »
    I can see it being popular among console users, but PC addons, from what I've read seem to be superior.

It will go towards a hybrid model. Current addons are great for swapping between skillsets, gear sets and active CP. You can even switch between roles as long as they are compatible in terms of morphs and attributes. The armory system will open up the path of generally switching between all roles. For example PvP <-> PvE where you might need slightly different attributes or different morphs or Mag <-> Stam where you need different morphs and attributes.

The use case i see is that you use the armory to switch your general role between Tank, StamDD, MagDD, Healer and their PvP counterparts to have specific CP trees (for low CP players), Moprhs and Attributes and then use the current addons to fine tune gear, skill sets and active CP to your needs.
  • Jamdarius
    Jamdarius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I do not go to do Trials because the rewards seem really bad for the effort to me (ugly skins seriously) the only choice left for me is PvP and Overland/vet or normal Dungeon PvE. I go to No CP PvP anyways so this doesn't seem that good for what Dressing Room does right now, and I can use Dressing Room even inside PvP zone... Oh wow now that I think about it, doesn't look like I will even use the feature doesn't it ? I will wait for the final verdict because:
    1. We still do not know how it will fully look.
    2. We do not know the changes to DK and it is my main, would be fun to change into PvP Healer instead of DPS Overland /PvP all time.
    3. I still can say it is good feature for console players but it MUST work in trials/dungeons.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't be using it, not because of addons as although on PC I don't use them, but rather because I don't have any reason to swap builds.
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will buy the armory npc, and I don’t think zos is being greedy. The company has to make money off the game somehow, and I think this is the best way to monetize: Give EVERYONE something really cool, for free. Then allow people to pay for something a little bit cooler (the npc and extra slots). Greedy would be been if the basic armory system was not free to everyone. That was a huge gift to the community.
  • NoxiousBlight
    NoxiousBlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, absolutely I will be using it. It will in no way replace Dressing Room, but it will serve one important purpose: swapping seamlessly from mag to stam.

I PvE as a mag, and PvP as stam. I have to swap almost daily based on my mood. So with the armory I can have my stam PvP setup ready to go, click it, and bam. No cost, no time remorphing skills or reallocating skill points. Then when done with PvP just pop back to the mag setup.

It will be very useful. Even more so if you use vamp or WW for one setup but not the other.
  • Ronin37
    Ronin37
    ✭✭✭
    Be happy Zeni is putting tools in game. I have never seen people complain about stuff like this. You could be poor Elite Dangerous players and have to go through the FDev madness of either getting extremely poor in game tools to no tools where you have to use outside tools meaning outside sites or external apps. And if any of you are Elite players you know what I speak of. There are many ESO hills to die on and this is not it. Also if you like the addons more just use those and ignore the new system. Or complain about how we only get two gear slots to start with the rest locked in the crown store like some mobile game. That is a hill to die on.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of two things need to happen for this feature to be any good.
    • Either increase the number of free slots
    OR
    • Make the assistant free and allow it to be used in trials

If we go with option A, players will use it to switch between healer, tank, stam DD, magDD and PvP setups. Two slots just isn't enough. That's just enough for the PvP/PvE switch OR if you are roleplaying a vamp but also want to be viable in content you use it to switch that off. 3 minimum, but 4 is still very reasonable.

If we go with option B, players, especially console players, will use the free assistant to switch between trash setups and boss setups in trials, thus allowing consoleplayers to use this feature as their dressing room substitute, even if that means they'll have to adjust their loadouts depending on the trial they are heading into. The reason ZOS disabled this assistant during leaderboard content is so that this assistant cannot be used to gain a tangible advantage over others, which would be an actual case of Pay2Win. But this restriction also makes this feature so much less useful and still fixes nothing about the quality of life on consoles.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do I think that ZOS would specifically kill functionality of add-on systems similar to The Armory? Specifically because the assistant works in normal trials and arenas meaning the functionality is there.

It was stated during the stream that allowing the Armory into competitive play, whether it be PVP or PVE, wasn’t balanced and thus against the developer’s intentions. It’s not a far step to see that the current implementation of Dressing Room and other add-ons allowing gear switching in trials has proved problematic. Between higher scores and exploits of set switching ZOS clearly wants to put an end to that.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if ZOS put in code to either remove you from PVP if an add-on was detected or end vet score trial instances to remain fair. High End players aren’t the bottom line.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it works the way I have seen and believe it to work, then yes, I'll use the new system. I main a tank, so having a means by which to turn that into a better DD spec than I do with addons means I'll be using both under their given scenarios. Overland content, I can turn my tank into a DD much more easily than just sets (e.g. setting attributes with the new system), but in trials I'll be still be using addons to quickly switch gear setups.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fhritz wrote: »
    You forgot that armory can change and respec FOR FREE ! and yes, it can change morph if you save one build with, for example stampede and another with crit rush

Yes, and also WW/Vamp, which I think is awesome, and especially helpful for pvp<->pve swaps.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will use it, just for the positive side of one less add on slowing down my client.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will say this. It will be nice for my main, a warden healer, to have a DSP build. Thinking an Ice Mage kind of spec. Could be fun in PvP.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I will be using the Armory for most of my characters. I am on PC but I play with a controller (thus gamepad UI) for accessibility reasons. Using addons with gamepad UI is a PAIN. Keyboard shortcuts? I have to put the controller down. Some addons are not compatible with the gamepad CP screen. I get even more failed gear swaps than keyboard users.

For characters that only need to switch occasionally between say farming and fishing CP/gear, it makes much more sense for me to use the Armory and assistant, rather than have to put down my controller and deal with addons not being compatible.

Now for my vet trials supports (tanks and healers) that's a much more complicated question. For a while I had AlphaGear set up with almost 40 different combinations of tank gear/skills (every trial had setups for 3 different raid teams) When switching to AlphaGear3 I lost ALL of that, and haven't put it back. As long as I don't have to swap trash/boss setups, I don't need to carry more than 4 tanking sets or 2 healing sets.Honestly though, I'll likely set up the armory for my main (tank) for tanking/questing, then use AlphaGear to swap out sets when necessary in content.

I'm still of the opinion it would be better for ZOS to limit addons being able to swap gear inside trials at all, but that's just me.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on September 18, 2021 10:41PM
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's more reliable.

There are problems with Dressing Room - I suspect it's not due to the addon itself but the game engine: Equipping a mythic item on different body part needs to be done twice, and sometimes back-bar remains unchanged without error and re-equipping does nothing.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn’t be surprised if the game was patched to prevent Dressing Room/Alpha Gear from working. Esp if it presents a conflict with an in-game official system.

You may be correct, however, I hazard a guess we will still have use of the addons. Zenimax added the buff tracker and we still have addons for that. There should not be a conflict unless we choose to use both system and that is the player asking for trouble.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because it will allow me experiment more with new builds, but if something will go wrong, I will have a "backup" build, with 0 gold cost involved in restoring it.

In other words, I will have my regular solo PvE build, but if I will feel like I want to do some group dungeons, I can just switch to my PvE Tank build (again, 0 gold cost involved). Same if I want to do some PvP in Cyro - I can have a build for that content, so I just push a button and I am ready to go. All nicely optimised with Attributes & CP.

The most important part is the gold cost. It is a preset, so it costs nothing. As far as I can tell, addon can not do that (switch atribute points, skill morphs with 0 gold cost).
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on September 18, 2021 11:29PM
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

You may be correct, however, I hazard a guess we will still have use of the addons. Zenimax added the buff tracker and we still have addons for that. There should not be a conflict unless we choose to use both system and that is the player asking for trouble.

I could the dressing room may need an upgrade. I find with a spec I can get a few different play styles. We may need a dressing room for each preset in the Armory.
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the very least I'll be using the armoury system for storing vampirism. But I think I'll be very useful, especially to switch between pvp and pve.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I won't be using it, not because of addons as although on PC I don't use them, but rather because I don't have any reason to swap builds.

I didn't expect to use it, for the same reason-- but I'll probably end up using it so I can try out alternate builds while still being able to revert to my current builds. However, I find it difficult to envision that I personally would ever need to buy more slots.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will probably make limited use of it, to swap some of my tanks back and forth to their former dps build setups, to make things a bit easier. PVE vs PVP builds would also be something I could think about, but I PVP relatively rarely these days, and there aren't that many of my PVP builds that I need to swap morphs for. It doesnt look like it will have the utility to replace my skill and gear setups via addon.