Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Crown Crates, Do You Boycott or Gamble?

• Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Aelsioln wrote: »
    Haven't read every response so might be repeating something already said here.

Should add another option to the poll of "I buy crates sometimes and don't consider them to be gambling".

To me gambling would imply a risk of losing money and gaining nothing in return. With crates sure I might get 4 items I didn't want or that I just exchange for gems but I am still getting something for the money spent.

Would I rather just pay directly for specific items? Yeah, but I still want them so if I have some crowns I go ahead and try for it. Worst case scenario I gradually save up the gems/seals for it and get it in the future.

If I could change one thing, and one thing only, about crates I'd make it so you can exchange anything and everything for gems. I've got a few mounts and cosmetics that I know I'll never use so it would be nice to be able to instead get gems to put towards the stuff I do want.

So I've mentioned it before, but just because you don't mind spending money and getting random things in return, doesn't mean it isn't gambling.

Globally/Universally (Outside of preference and opinions) = Crates are gambling.

One person may be buying crates with hopes to win a Skin. If they get a hat they didn't want/need, it doesn't change that they gambled for the item they did want.

But on your other point, I do agree. If you can exchange all crate items for their store value--just once even, meaning you can't exchange an exchange--then I wouldn't be as against crates.
  • Aelsioln
    Aelsioln
    ✭✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »

So I've mentioned it before, but just because you don't mind spending money and getting random things in return, doesn't mean it isn't gambling.

Globally/Universally (Outside of preference and opinions) = Crates are gambling.

One person may be buying crates with hopes to win a Skin. If they get a hat they didn't want/need, it doesn't change that they gambled for the item they did want.

I said things like "to me" and "I ... don't consider" to imply that while this is how I feel I know that it isn't how everyone thinks or how the law looks at it.

I completely understand why people hate crates and loot boxes. The first time I encountered loot boxes I did struggle with spending more money than I should have on them trying to get specific items. They remind me of the rigged games at fairs and carnivals where you end up spending more money than the prize was actually worth.

Like I said I'd rather just buy the items I want directly with crowns instead of having to deal with chance/gambling but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.
  • udaba
    udaba
    ✭✭✭
    I have opened over 5 last days and the only things that opens are Scrolls and Potions . Not worth it .
    I miss that days when crates would drop you cosmetics .
    PC/EU 1600 CP+
  • PvXGamer
    PvXGamer
    ✭✭✭
    With the introduction of Radiant Apex mounts added to the list of items you can purchase for gems, coupled with the addition of the endeavor system, zos has cleverly sidestepped the whole 'gambling quandary' when it comes to crown crates. Their gem system ensures that you are guaranteed, at least eventually, to acquire the item or items you want in case RNGezus does not smile upon you. With endeavors, you can spend money to get it now, or wait and stockpile endeavor tokens for the piece or pieces you want. Yes, it will take a while but you can buy any item in the crown store now with an in-game currency. In my opinion, the current endeavor costs should be cut by 1/4 to 1/3 what they are now. It is no longer gambling as it is now a question of time vs money spent.
  • Alendrin
    Alendrin
    ✭✭✭
    boycott
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mostly I ignore them, if they sold something I wanted to buy then maybe I would take more interest but it’s just an endless parade of silly looking mounts and equally silly looking skins. If they did something such as sell a nice tropical tan, the middle of the road sort of thing, darker than a Nord is capable of being, then I will take an interest, they don’t so neither do I. They are a busy bunch, they will figure out the gap in the market eventually, it’s just might take them awhile
  • Grayfax
    Grayfax
    ✭✭✭
    I'll buy a 4-pack every now and then. I'm not collecting mounts, but I have picked up a few good ones over time. And every now and then you get an exceptional hand.

yyUATS1l.png

I can certainly see someone abusing it, but I'm more likely to do that on Housing and Furnishing than random chance items.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I neither boycott nor gamble. If I have extra gold I buy crates with it, but I know what I'm going to get and I'm okay with that because I will not spend extra money trying to get something impossible. I am satisfied with one or two pets or cosmetics. While it annoys me that the mounts are in crates, I had just written them off as something I couldn't ever get, so now with Endeavors I am working on that in-game. I subscribe but I don't buy Crowns, I just save my stipend and spend it on store mounts, costumes or housing stuff.
  • GuildedLilly
    GuildedLilly
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't an option for me. I subscribe to ESO+ (or used to, since update 31 literally broke the game for me in a way that's causing constant launcher errors & game crashes). I already cancelled my ESO+ sub on XB1, and I need to contact customer service about PC, but I used my personal crowns for other things: DLCs, Skyshards, occasionally housing.

I go to crown sellers for crates. Making gold in game wasn't a problem for me when it worked since I have a master crafter army of alts turning in daily writs.
    Grandmaster crafter, alt-o-holic, PC NA/EU, and XB1 NA/EU
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither. I only buy when it’s worth it to me, which means I have to really like most of what’s in the crates and be in a position to buy a lot of them. I don’t feel this way about most crate seasons, but the Ayleid and Wild Hunt crates were exceptions for me so I went to town and I have no regrets! :)

Illogically, a large deterrent for me has been the idea of getting an apex item that I don’t like. As if that would somehow be wasting my luck or RNG — not rational, I know, but there it is. And yet somehow vindicated as in my first set of Ayleid crates, I got the horse which I LOVE the look and animations of!