Crown Crates, Do You Boycott or Gamble?

  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the gamblers anon meeting? 😐
    Options
  • udaba
    udaba
    ✭✭✭
    Sitting here working for 3euro/hour crying in 0 crates .
    PC/EU 1600 CP+
    Options
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought the game, and bought crowns but I don't buy crown crates. I don't gamble in real life but I don't buy crown crates because I'm frugal with my money, not because its gambling. I don't subscribe because the game is fine without a subscription (except for inventory problems).
    Options
  • Marillea
    Marillea
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just buy crates with gold when there is something I like, which is usually only items for my characters such as costumes, hairstyles and so on. If anything else drops, cool.

    Thing is, as long there are players buying 100-500 euros worth of crates, no company has a single reason to take em away. Seeing some older forum threads, there are players investing a month's worth of rent into crown crates just to then blame ZOS that they didn't drop, of course, the item with the lowest drop chance. Again, no reason to take them away. Too many people buy them, and too many people spend a fortune on them.

    Options
  • winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO
    For the time i seriously wish that crown crates weren't gambling. The bandari mounts are the only thing ive seriously wanted.. out of the store.. in a long time.

    I've got 7k crowns, was even thinking about how to come up with 5k for some crates, but then realised i wouldn't even get what i wanted via gems anyway, by a long shot, hell no. If you seriously wanted a mount you it would probably cost you around $200-250 REAL WORLD MONEY in gems.. what the hell.

    That's for endeavours i think, and if they never come back who cares and so be it.

    Wow, if you actually went for the apex plus rewards, i personally would feel really preyed upon after the fact. Its not even close that's firmly in the territory of gambling.. nothing in real life would match such cost for such nothing in return.

    EDIT: Insurace does as well, good point.
    Edited by winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO on July 24, 2021 12:42AM
    Options
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve never bought crown crates to get an item. There have been items in the crates I’ve wanted, but I buy them for the gems, then get what I want if I have enough.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    I do not boycott crates. I just choose not to outright buy them. There is a difference as I have received and opened crown crates Zenimax provided through other means.

    Twitch Streams, and they yiedl 99% of the time....

    Heal pots....I've gotten 100+ pots so far...

    1 Exp Scroll

    Ton's of "POISON" pots.....

    Never anything of value....

    @Ken_Koerperich The crates that drop from Twitch streams are not crown crates which is the focus of this thread. The crates you are speaking of are not intended to drop the nicer items.
    Options
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    ... but then realised i wouldn't even get what i wanted via gems anyway, by a long shot, hell no. If you seriously wanted a mount you it would probably cost you around $200-250 REAL WORLD MONEY in gems.. what the hell.

    Exactly. If you get a duplicate (non-consumable) reward--you don't even get the exact number of gems that the store says they are worth! You get like 5 gems. Such a rip off. When I saw this happen a couple times, I stopped touching crates entirely. Even the free ones! They're pure evil.
    Options
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I occasionally buy crates because I want to get gems to buy something from the gem store. I never have any expectation of getting what I want directly from the crates.
    Options
  • winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO
    I occasionally buy crates because I want to get gems to buy something from the gem store. I never have any expectation of getting what I want directly from the crates.

    Well personally, ive had a go. I think overall ive bought 3x the 4 crates, and 1 15 crates. After doing the 15 crates, i was horrified at the experience. Just listen to the cat. Its such a large wart on the game its enough to make you single focus on how evil they are and completely forget anything to do with the story or gamplay, its a huge impending warning of bad things.

    So i put them aside and moved on.

    The urge to "have a little gamble" doesn't exist.

    Its only the items that i care about then. The real equation turns out to be its a $200 macro transaction where you gamble on the cost being less or greatly more than said $200.

    Ps. When you've experienced then made your conclusion then moved on, in hindsight they are so blatantly gambling. Thats all they literally are.
    Options
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I occasionally buy crates because I want to get gems to buy something from the gem store. I never have any expectation of getting what I want directly from the crates.

    Well personally, ive had a go. I think overall ive bought 3x the 4 crates, and 1 15 crates. After doing the 15 crates, i was horrified at the experience. Just listen to the cat. Its such a large wart on the game its enough to make you single focus on how evil they are and completely forget anything to do with the story or gamplay, its a huge impending warning of bad things.

    So i put them aside and moved on.

    The urge to "have a little gamble" doesn't exist.

    Its only the items that i care about then. The real equation turns out to be its a $200 macro transaction where you gamble on the cost being less or greatly more than said $200.

    Ps. When you've experienced then made your conclusion then moved on, in hindsight they are so blatantly gambling. Thats all they literally are.

    Not sure if this is actually directed at me, or just a general comment, but I am under no illusions about Crown Crates being gambling and as I said I do not buy them in the hope of "getting lucky". I occasionally buy crates because:
    • I sometimes want gems to buy something which costs gems
    • There honestly isn't a lot else to spend my ESO+ crowns on most of the time

    I am largely uninterested in the Apex Mounts and prefer to go after the lesser rewards in the gem store. Recently for example I bought a stack of crates and earned enough gems from duplicate items and exchanging the trash potions and such to buy the Knight-Aspirant Style which I think looks great on my humble hero paladin character. Yes I'd much prefer it if this was available for direct purchase (in fact maybe it has been and I missed it, I don't know, yay time limited offers) but I needed gems so I bought crates.
    Options
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't normally gamble, BUT if I have a crown balance of 400, I end up wasting that on a crate, if I don't have anything in my sights to buy. All I ever get are potions, but who knows someday...
    Options
  • Xaramasa
    Xaramasa
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes buy crown crates with the crowns eso plus provides me, but I don't gamble for apex mounts. I'm not really a fan of the radiant apex/apex mounts since there are no guars :D

    I'm more into the "normal" mounts or just the nifty emotes/mementos/costumes.
    Options
  • Kadraeus
    Kadraeus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy them at all. I just use whatever crates I get from Twitch streams and turn everything in them into gems I can then spend on the items I really want. It sucks when it's stuff that's over 16 gems, but I just live with it. I got lucky and was able to get 2 of the crown store items I wanted from the Elsweyr event (32 gems altogether). I'm tempted to buy crates because there's other stuff I'd like to have, but I don't really like the idea of crown crates. I think they're scummy. I'm fine with buying things outright from the store, but I hate the practice of "Spend money on fake currency to buy something you don't want, which you then turn into another fake currency so you can buy the things you actually want."
    Options
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »
    Yeah, probably just like others before it, but I want to see some changes on this subject.

    My opinions that no one asked for, but Zenimax should know:
    * I don't subscribe anymore because I am tired of getting crowns and having nothing but crates to spend them on.
    * I would purchase crown-items and purchase additional crowns if items were NOT in crates more frequently.
    * I don't gamble, and I never will so Zenimax is losing money from me now.
    * The more I see items hidden behind a 3-tier ($ --> Crowns --> Crown Gems) currency pay-wall the more I dislike the game overall, like some elitist "Whales only" club.
    * Keep your radiant mounts hidden behind crates, fine.
    * But maybe allow for 100 gem and lower items to be purchased both/either directly from crowns or found in crates. How? Sell those items for "original prices" if they're subscribers, and 50% more crowns cost for non-subscribers so you make more money?

    If you disagree, give a valid reason not: "I don't like seeing others wearing the same thing I am!" Because there are so many aesthetics now in ESO it's going to be so rare to come across more than 3 players wearing/looking the same in a single instance, other than when it just first comes out.

    Polling is anonymous.

    lol what a skwed poll

    I buy crowns I sub, I don't view it as gambling and neither does anyone in the three guilds I belong to.

    Gambling is going to Vegas/Reno/Monte Carlo and playing Blackjack/Craps/Poker. Opening up a MTG booster or buying Crown Crates isn't gambling in my opinion.

    [snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 1, 2021 6:20PM
    Options
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Klad wrote: »
    lol what a skwed poll

    I buy crowns I sub, I don't view it as gambling and neither does anyone in the three guilds I belong to.

    Gambling is going to Vegas/Reno/Monte Carlo and playing Blackjack/Craps/Poker. Opening up a MTG booster or buying Crown Crates isn't gambling in my opinion.

    [snip]

    Just because you don't view it as gambling doesn't mean it isn't gambling. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

    Nothing is skewed about the poll, you just simply don't like the tag "gambling" added to your mini-game.

    [edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 1, 2021 6:20PM
    Options
  • BloodWolfe
    BloodWolfe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I subscribe but I will NEVER purchase a crown crate! The only crates I've ever gotten are with the C.E. chapters that gave and then the daily login rewards that rarely give one, otherwise I don't touch the crates because I absolutely abhor them!
    Options
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not buy crown crates. Although that may change if I run out of other things to buy with subscription crowns. I watch ESO streams and streamers when my work/family schedule allows, and get gems from those. Got a Senche of Scarlet Regret once from a stream Ouroboros Crate, which several of my alts ride.
    Options
  • Vonkarolinas
    Vonkarolinas
    ✭✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »
    coop500 wrote: »
    Poll options are biased.

    I still sub and I do occasionally buy crown crates, but only when I like almost EVERYTHING in them so it's not gambling to me, cause I am almost always getting something I wanted/liked.

    If I only like a few things, I may buy just enough crates with gold to my trusted crown traders to get the gems to buy what I wanted, or just go without.

    How are they biased? Please explain.

    If you like everything in them, that's YOU. But it doesn't change the fact that it's gambling.

    It is not a fact that it is gambling. It is not gambling, that is the fact. If you buy a crate you are guaranteed at least 4 items, a fifth at times. The value of the items varies, but that is not enough of a qualifier to to make it gambling. For it to be gambling there has to be a chance of loss and there is none with crown crates.

    That being said I agree with coop500, you poll is biased. You have 3 options for "I boycott crowns" which validate your point. And you only have 2 options for "I purchase", one of which says "I don't agree with them, but", putting a 4th result validating your point. As for the last option, it still flat out calls the crates gambling. You give no neutral option for people who don't share your view at all, in that they buy crates and do not consider it gambling. Because, well, it just isn't.

    Also, some things you said either I misunderstood, or you are incorrect about. You mentioned how much you dislike the concept because you have to buy the crates and hope it gives you the item you want, that you want them to implement a method to direct purchase crown crate items. You already can direct purchase.

    Everything in crown crates can be bought with crown gems. You don't have the gems you need, buy some crates with just the expectation of turning it all in for gems, and hey, you never know, you might get what you were after in the crate. You would be surprised how many gems you can get this way without spending that much money. I have seen the threads out there, where people have their "formulas" on how much it costs to buy the number of crates you need to achieve a certain number of gems, but that is flawed. There is no set number of gem value per crate, that was just that individual's experience.

    Options
  • LeoXearo
    LeoXearo
    ✭✭
    My only problem with crates is the price, I think 5 for $10 would be better pricing.
    Leo Xearo, / CP 1160+ / Magplar
    Options
  • Kalik_Gold
    Kalik_Gold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only crates I open are Ouroboros. Everything I buy what I want straight up, Gems from Ouroboros (twitch crates) Gold for crowns, and now Endeavors.
    Main: (PvP & PvE)
    Ras Kalik a Redguard Templar, the Vestige

    PvP:
    Aurik Siet'ka a Redguard Necromancer
    Cacique the Sage of Ius a Redguard Warden
    Jux Blackheart a Redguard Nightblade
    Goliath of Hammerfell a Redguard Dragonknight
    Kaotik Von Dae'mon a Redguard* Sorcerer

    PvP: (Specialty)
    Tyrus Septim an Imperial Lycan Sorcerer
    Tsar af-Bomba a Redguard Vampiric Nightblade
    Movárth Piquine a Nord Vampiric Necromancer
    Uri Ice-Heart the Twin a Nord Vampiric Warden

    PvE:
    Cinan Tharn an Imperial Dragonknight
    Bates Vesuius of Dawnstar an Imperial Dragonknight
    Herzog Zwei the Genesis an Akavari* Templar
    Tav'i at-Shinji a Redguard** Warden
    Lucky Hunch the Gambler - a Redguard Nightblade

    Leveling...
    Zenovia at-Tura a Redguard** Sorcerer
    Yesi af-Kalik a Redguard Templar
    Voa a Priest of Sep a Redguard* Necromancer
    ======
    Passives of another race used. (RP)
    *Breton
    **Imperial




    __________________________Backstories:_________________________

    Ras Kalik the Vestige, a renown Redguard warrior; He has been blessed to save Tamriel from Molag Bal’s destructive Planemeld while reuniting the Five Companions. His further accomplishments after defeating Molag Bal, has been to stop the destruction of Morrowind, the Clockwork City, return order to the isle of Summerset and create a new king in Wrothgar and a queen in Elsywer. These events have made him a living legend and continue to lead him into new adventures throughout Tamriel, as well as into the hearts of many ladies including the Elf Queen, Aryenn. Over many years of adventurous travels, Ras Kalik had become a loner, until he re-visited his homeland of Alik'r.

    Alik'r and it's cities were overrun by the undead Ra-Netu and therefore he made an allegiance with Alik'r's own Ash'abah tribe. These Ash'abah with his help, cleansed the city of Sentinel in Alik'r desert and it's surrounding areas of the undead brought to life by the Withered Hand. After rescuing Sentinel from the undead zombies, King Fahara’jad’s personal bodyguard the Goliath of Hammerfell, who was given this name by Imperials in the region; was asked to assist the tribe after learning of the defeat of the Withered Hand to the Ash'abah. Kalik promised Goliath he would task him with fighting living enemies on the battlefield if he so desired. Goliath being a Yokudan warrior wields a massive sword in respect to the Ansei, a gift given by the Imperial, Cinan Tharn. Not many soldiers are able to wield double two handed weapons, but Goliath loves to get up and personal in a fight, so he also carries a giant maul, both weapons laced with magical flames.

    Jux Blackheart is a master thief that masquerades as a Bard at the Sisters of the Sands inn, with his younger sidekick Lucky Hunch for pilfering and gambling during this time. Jux was known to infiltrate any towns bank vault he came across and even delved into Ayelid ruins without detection. Kalik can vividly recall the night he met the famed thief. Jux found himself rummaging thru a slightly inebriated Kalik’s pocket for too long, on a full-mooned night and because of his greed and the glimmer of his golden armor in the moonlight. He lost his left pinky fingertip as a lesson! But in return, he gained a new friend, as it was his first time since a child being caught red-handed...

    Upon arrival back in the Alik'r after many moons of adventuring, Ras Kalik ventures to Bergama. Visiting The Winking Jackal, he runs into Jux Blackheart, who introduces him to the coin game Crowns vs Forebearers (Heads vs Tails) and Golden Dwemer (RBG).... Jux constantly takes gold from the unfortunate thru theft or gambling, his biggest gambling victim is actually his partner in crime known as Lucky Hunch the Gambler. Lucky doesn't mind losing any gold coins to Jux... as Jux saved him from Altmer slavers in Summerset, by stealing a key and sending him on a boat to the mainland years prior. Lucky spent years in slavery with Khajiits in Summerset and picked up the art of subterfuge, using illusion magic disguises and stealing there.

    Kaotik Von’Daemon an outcast, and a half-caste between a Breton mother and a Redguard father. Kaotik become a pariah due to his conjuration of Daedra pets. He was taught healing magic during his childhood years by his Breton mother. His father due to Redguard customs exiled him from the desert, sending him by wagon caravan to be a soldier in the war in Cyrodiil. He happened to meet Kalik while traveling from Alik'r, during this long caravan ride the caravan he was in was ambushed in Bangkorai by a group of bandits. Kalik by chance was also traveling thru this area on his Auridon Warhorse (which was bestowed to him by his friend, Darien Gautier). During this ambush, Kalik was able to rescue five hostages from the bandits. Kaotik was the first rescued, and Ras Kalik also recruited him to be in the Ash'abah tribe. These core Ash'abah tribesmen may never be seen together in travel as they partake in their own adventures but they always know what each other is doing; as they frequent a hideout in northern Bankorai. Their hideout an old Orc castle ruin, is kept watch by Nuzhimeh and she passes messages written between them, and frequently they also enjoy her company and her bed.

    The other men rescued were a Dunmer banker, an Imperial mercenary and two other soldiers, an Imperial and a Breton Knight, stating proudly he was an Akavir descendent. One of the Imperials, Cinan, claimed to be related to Abnur Tharn the Battlemage of the Imperial Elder Council (One of Ras Kalik's mentors in the Five Companions). Cinan Tharn was really Abnur's drunkard treasure hunting illegitimate son. He was caught smuggling artifacts out of the Ayleid ruins in Cyrodiil and the elder of the two Imperials was Tyrus Septim a retired Imperial navy battle-mage (now a Lycan mercenary living in the city of Rimmen) and guard to the Tharn family. As much as Abnur Tharn hated his half-sister Euraxia, he dislikes his bas†ard son Cinan more. Tyrus now a ruffian and privateer had been paid by Abnur Tharn to watch over Cinan as much as possible. Cinan Tharn a drunkard, loves to drink at least a quarter barrel of Nord mead before he raids various delves and dungeons for relics to sell on the black market. Cinan also plans to one day, run an illegal gambling ring... which he thinks will net him more gold for his wares.

    The Dunmer captive shackled to the Imperials looked familiar to Kalik from his time in Morrowind.... and he recognized him as Tythis Andromo a House Telvanni slave-owner and banker from Vvardenfell. During a rough interrogation to Tythis, Ras Kalik learnt why the bandits accosted him. The racist Dunmer was providing slaves as soldiers for the Three Banner War. The bandits were trying to negotiate a lucrative ransom for Andromo and the Imperials.... Kalik did not need any of this gold and he could never set Tythis free as he did with the two Imperial soldiers. His past involvement with slavery and war crimes, made Kalik's blood boil. He chose not to execute Tythis, as he figured the worse punishment for this former rich and opulent slave owner, is to now be an imprisoned servant for Ras Kalik and the tribe.

    Herzog Zwei the Genesis a reknown Imperial/Akavirri battle-mage. His roots going back to Akavir through his mother’s bloodline. (His mother is descended from the Akaviri, through Versidue-Shae, and his Imperial father met her in Hakoshae, while traveling) Herzog earned the nickname "the Genesis" from his father as a child, as he was his mother's first born child, and last, as she tragically died in child-birth.

    Herzog was seeking to purchase an artifact from Cinan Tharn, before their capture and was meeting Tyrus while in Rimmen, who introduced him to Cinan. This artifact being the Ayelid artifact; the sword Sinweaver. After their rescue and the exchange of gold to Cinan for the sword he decided to slip away before Ras Kalik could question who he was, and why the Akavir descendant really wanted that sword. Herzog was headed to Nagastani — An Ayleid ruin in eastern Cyrodiil. He had read in scrolls that the Sword would give him magical powers to meet his mothers spirit, if he performed an Ayleid ritual at an old shrine hidden there. Equipped with the artifact sword, he was off to start his own adventure but Ras Kalik, did indeed notice the sword however and instead sent a letter to Jux Blackheart (whom also was interested in Ayleid treasures), to attempt to find Herzog and acquire the sword. (*Azani Blackheart in Elder Scroll's Oblivion is Jux's descendant some 747 years later)

    And so the Redguard, Imperial and Akaviri men parted ways ... While Ras Kalik went off to Elsweyr to encounter the latest threat to Tamriel, with Abnur Tharn and Sai Sahan - - DRAGONS!! Little did Ras Kalik know a few people were awaiting him in Senchal besides Sai. A necromancer survived his attack on the Withered Hand, while in Alik'r. The necromancer known as Auriek Siet'ka is also following him to the land of the Khajiits and Cacique the Sage of Ius a Shaman mystic who has become attuned spiritually with Tu'whacca (a Redguard God) and Ius (the Animal God), after being burned severely by the escaped dragons in Elsywer, is awaiting his arrival also. Aurik is a soldier of the Daggerfall Covenant that was introduced to necromancy while in the military, even though this magicka art is not spoken of openly by most of the Military leaders. He came to Alik'r and worked with the Withered Hand before Ras Kalik intervened on their plans. After the defeat of the Withered Hand, he aligned with the Worm Cult, and is constantly adapting and perfecting his necromantic arts.

    After his journey to Rimmen, Kalik heads south to Senchal, in the southern regions of Elyswer. This new adventure will also put him on a path to meet a strange Redguard man. The stranger which was infected with an untreated Peyrite disease and also was the exiled from the Order of the New Moon cult, due to his sickness. He originally joined the cult to worship Laatvulon, the green dragon, mistakenly thinking it was the Daedric prince Peyrite. This confused and suffering cultist is known as Tsar al-Bomba and he is on a path to spread the disease. He was originally infected in Orccrest while recruiting members there. Can Ras Kalik and the shaman Cacique cure this poor soul, only time will tell. Little does Tsar al-Bomba know, that his infection is tied to Vampirism, and eventually the desire for blood will take over his mind. Senchal also offers Kalik his latest love interest... Aeliah. Whom he fondly led thru battles with the Dragonguard.

    After the trek thru the heat, tropical and desert climate of Northern and Southern Elyswer, Ras Kalik heads north to the cold mountain range of Skyrim. His companion friend Lyris beckons for him with a letter sent by crow...

    Movárth Piquine - a former vampire hunter (now infected), within the Fighter's Guild (and a secretive necromancer) was in Skyrim working with the Morthaal Guard. On a patrol mission he was caught in Frewien's ice curse outside of Morthaal with the frozen undead. Movárth's vampiric infection kept him from becoming an undead minion to the curse. He was able to use necromantic ice-magic to encase himself safely until he was freed with Freiwen, when the Vestige Ras Kalik broke the curse.

    Uri Ice-Heart - brother of Urfon Ice-Heart. The twin sons of Atli and Oljourn Ice-Heart. The Ice-Heart family are originally from Markarth but now reside on the Jerall Mountain range near Cyrodiil, with their younger sister Araki. The twins had joined the Winterborn Reachmen while living in Markarth. Urfon pushed west to Orsinium with the Winterborn Clan, leaving his family behind. Uri stayed behind with his parents and sister to live in the family cabin for safety, avoiding the Vampire plague infiltrating the Reach. After news reaches him and he hears of Urfon's death... Uri leaves and heads home and is seeking vengeance. Meanwhile, his sister has also moved on to Windhelm to join the Fighter's guild. He will visit his sister, once before going to seek vengeance and she will craft him armor mixed with ice, called Stalhrim armor. Uri fearing death, after his brother's passing, falls victim to the convincing talk of Movárth at a Nordic tavern, and will also becomes a vampire.

    {time moves forward through the hour-glass}
    PS5/NA - Ras Kalik a Redguard Templar - Daggerfall Covenant • 1550+ Champion

    Options
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other games have a no duplicates mechanic, ie if you buy 30 Crates you get one of each item. Can get behind this in a big way.

    Gamble Crates don't bother me in principal, I just feel that direct purchase forces better quality standards on designers. If an item is aesthetically pleasing and well animated or designed it will sell, if it's pants it won't.

    The problem with current Crates is only about 10% of the content would sell if placed on crown store individually.

    Chasing a specific drop while wading through poorly designed detrites is not a customer friendly or quality led strategy for micro-transanctions.
    Edited by Thannazzar on August 4, 2021 10:45PM
    Options
  • eyeseezombiesub17_ESO
    I purchase crates. I also have ESO+. I play this game a lot. I have absolutely no problem supporting a game I enjoy this much. The ride may be my favorite part. Will I get the mount I want? No? That's cool, I have the gems to just buy it then
    Options
  • Tranquilizer
    Tranquilizer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, not directly boycott, I just ignore crates. Seems to be the same, but imo boycott implies I'm somewhat upset about it, but I'm not.

    When people think it's a good idea to spend real money for the chance of getting a needful item more power to them, but I'm only buying stuff without gambling.

    Options
  • netch_a_sketch
    netch_a_sketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think crown crates are ethical at all. Like, I think there needs to be laws to ban them outright. It's disgusting. They take advantage of vulnerable people especially those who are prone to addiction.

    I don't blame or dislike or shame anyone who buys them. You're basically coaxed into it. And if you get items you like like, that's great.

    I'll get crowns if they're on sale and I have some extra cash in my bank account that I'd probably spend on a game anyway, but I haven't touched a crown crate since the wild hunt first time round.

    Im not fond of microtransactions themselves and I hate the artificial scarcity that the subscription creates. I subscribe for the craft bag and free DLC.

    Zenimax would still profit just from sales of the base game and DLC without any other paid content. [snip]

    That being said, I'd actually spend more crowns if everything was just in the store and not crates. Even a rotating stock. I just wish they'd take the gambling out.

    [edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 14, 2021 10:23AM
    Options
  • FaylenSol
    FaylenSol
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jazzius wrote: »
    I don't think crown crates are ethical at all. Like, I think there needs to be laws to ban them outright. It's disgusting. They take advantage of vulnerable people especially those who are prone to addiction.

    I have a problem with this particular take.

    Vulnerable people who have problems with addiction should seek help and help should be provided for them. But simply banning one avenue that they might abuse isn't going to stop them. They will feed their addiction somewhere else. Banning it just removes access from people without those vulnerabilities to enjoy.

    My immediate family has addiction problems bad. It was of the prescription variety but doctors cracked down and their supply was cut off. Did they just stop their substance abuse problems? Nope. They moved to something else that was readily available to them.

    Banning things doesn't help people with addictions. It just shoves them to something else that is potentially even more destructive. Banning things just prevents people without addictions from being able to use it legitimately without abuse. Players who spend in-game gold on crates are not suffering because of crates. They didn't spend any cash on it and are at no risk of hurting themselves financially over it.

    Granted I live in a state that has casinos so my opinion may be skewed since I've grown up around gambling my entire life and don't view it as all that bad.
    Edited by FaylenSol on August 19, 2021 7:01PM
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not interested in spending money on cosmetics. If I was, zero chance I get cosmetics through RNG.
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I SEMI-boycott the crates. I hate the upper tier mounts but I'll buy a crate or two if there is a cosmetic or housing item I want that I know I can scrape enough gems together for if I don't get lucky. That said, I DEEPLY resent the gamble boxes and I REALLY HATE that virtually every "promise" that was made when they came out and ZOS found out how horribly unpopular this move was has been flagrantly broken.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

    Options
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Thannazzar wrote: »
    Other games have a no duplicates mechanic, ie if you buy 30 Crates you get one of each item. Can get behind this in a big way.

    Gamble Crates don't bother me in principal, I just feel that direct purchase forces better quality standards on designers. If an item is aesthetically pleasing and well animated or designed it will sell, if it's pants it won't.

    The problem with current Crates is only about 10% of the content would sell if placed on crown store individually.

    Chasing a specific drop while wading through poorly designed detrites is not a customer friendly or quality led strategy for micro-transanctions.

    Came back to respond to this amazing comment:

    I would not hate crates if they didn't have trash items, gem currency (from said trash items), and no duplicates.

    Instead of getting 4-5 cards, just give us one item that isn't a consumable/trash item, and never duplicates. Problem solved. It's still gambling but at least EVERYONE is a winner then.
    Edited by Syrpynt on September 3, 2021 5:52AM
    Options
  • Aelsioln
    Aelsioln
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't read every response so might be repeating something already said here.

    Should add another option to the poll of "I buy crates sometimes and don't consider them to be gambling".

    To me gambling would imply a risk of losing money and gaining nothing in return. With crates sure I might get 4 items I didn't want or that I just exchange for gems but I am still getting something for the money spent.

    Would I rather just pay directly for specific items? Yeah, but I still want them so if I have some crowns I go ahead and try for it. Worst case scenario I gradually save up the gems/seals for it and get it in the future.

    If I could change one thing, and one thing only, about crates I'd make it so you can exchange anything and everything for gems. I've got a few mounts and cosmetics that I know I'll never use so it would be nice to be able to instead get gems to put towards the stuff I do want.
    Options
Sign In or Register to comment.