The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

SAUCY JACK'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUITIES: HOW TO SCRY AND EXCAVATE

• KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KMarble wrote: »
    As far as the scrying mini-game goes, I'm not sure if you can play it again without acquiring the leads again - NOTE: the one I tried was one of the scryable ones atop the list. I suspect that if you do scry again (the mini-game) you might be given another area of the map to search.

The Augurist's Patience passive (fully unlocked) allows up to three (3) tries to scry the same lead, @KMarble.

The location of the artifact won't change ... but those failed tries will just result in additional area maps for as many uncovered focus points on the augur.

I haven't failed more than three times yet, but will see what happens tonite when I'm on PTS when I try to fail that many times.

Here's what a Legendary scry looks like. I had to do this for one of the pieces of the Dwarven Ebon Wolf mount. ;)

KMHwsLw.png

Thank you!

I've only tried it once (I don't want to do content on PTS, I rather wait for when it goes live so I did as little as I could) on a copied char, so my skills were minimum.

The one antiquity I found was done with no leads (I chose one from the top of the list) and I had no problems with the scrying mini-game. Like I said, I failed at the dig, used the eye again (to summon the "comet") and found another mound to dig. The area remained blue through all of this, which leads me to believe that if you fail the dig the game generate other mounds in the same area.
    Olauron wrote: »
    That is some bug then and I don't know what caused it. I used the eye on both copied (with tutorial quest done) and template (without tutorial quest) and an arrow always appeared. Sometimes it was not clear enough what of the two ways should I choose but at least an arrow and excavation mound always existed.

I had to summon the "comet" a few times before I found the first mound to dig. At least one time no "comet" appeared, and when it did it was a blob at worse and an almond shape at best, which left me not knowing which way to go.

I gave up on trying to follow the comet and just moved around the blue area. No mound appeared, but since I was close to one of the elevators to Blackreach, I went down thinking it might be there. When I got to the bottom the area wasn't blue anymore, so I went back up and finally stumbled upon the mound in place that I'm almost positive I'd gone through before.

After failing the first dig, I summoned the "comet" again, and this time I was lucky with the direction I chose. This one "comet" had two tails that were basically the same size. I found the second mound fast.
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if it was already asked about (didn't see it anywhere). How many skill points will be needed to level both skills?
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if it was already asked about (didn't see it anywhere). How many skill points will be needed to level both skills?

14 for excavation, 16 for scrying.
    Edited by Saucy_Jack on April 24, 2020 9:01PM
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another observation after doing more excavations on different characters (copied with low skills and template with max skills). Seems like not only lead is account-wide. Scrying is account-wide too. It is possible to scry on one character and excavate on another.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another observation after doing more excavations on different characters (copied with low skills and template with max skills). Seems like not only lead is account-wide. Scrying is account-wide too. It is possible to scry on one character and excavate on another.

But are scrying/excavation skill line experience and levels account-wide too? Would seem weird to scry an advanced item just to have someone try to dig it up with a level 1 excavation toon.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »

14 for excavation, 16 for scrying.

Wow 30 skill points is a lot of points. Definitely only doing this on my main character for all excavation and scrying.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Your explanation is a whole lot clearer than the actual tutorial.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But are scrying/excavation skill line experience and levels account-wide too? Would seem weird to scry an advanced item just to have someone try to dig it up with a level 1 excavation toon.

No, skill line experience is separate. I have copied character with low experience in scrying and excavation (I have skill points and can't invest more into passives as they are locked) and a template character with full experience and all passives taken. I haven't tried excavating advanced excavation on a low-level character.
    I scried on my copied character for a first green item in a zone, then began riding to the excavation site. Halfway I have found a psijic portal with a golden lead and logged off. On the template character I scried legendary item and then noticed that I have two blue zones on the map, for green item and for legendary item, with status 'In progress'. The difficulty for green is Master.

Theoretically it may be helpful for those without a lot of skill points.

P.S. Another observation. It is possible to find Dig Site without using an Eye at all. Go to the blue zone, ride around and if you are lucky or it is small enough, you will see the mound without using a tool.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like these minigames alot and like how they look like. :)
    Although those glowing ayleidic ornaments on the sides of the scrying eye could be higher resolution.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Theanah
    Theanah
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you very much for the guide! Very helpful!
  • SeattleReign
    SeattleReign
    Soul Shriven
    Ugh...I wish I would have found this on release day! I thought I found the dig site by wandering into the map area and then using the eye, saw the orb. Then I couldn't interact with the orb and thought it was a bug. I was so frustrated...LOL! A friendly player had already figured it out and then explained what to do. You might also consider adding that the orange square means you're 4 squares away, yellow square means 2 squares away, etc. I couldn't figure out what the white outline meant and eventually came to that conclusion. Thanks for putting this together...extremely helpful!
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    why are some zone starting leads, like in auridon token of defiance, not available to scry? Working with SJ I have our answer: the lead is intermediate and I am only level 2
    Edited by StabbityDoom on May 30, 2020 12:12AM
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Cronopoly
    Cronopoly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much,
    :(
    In my rush to get started, I had missed quickslotting the Blue Orb to find where the dig site is...I was running all over getting frustrated for half hour at a time...

And it was not Intuitive to select "Scryable" at the top of the screen to get the action available to SCRY an item...

I felt like an idiot when i saw I was selecting the ZONE (which I thought was important) and getting frustrated because the Item was right there in the Zone I was in, but I could not SCRY - Aaaahhhh 🤬 . For some players this will be the first aggravation of the day.
    Edited by Cronopoly on May 30, 2020 1:28PM
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for this guide. I just got the chapter yesterday and have just started learning about the antiquities system.

Anyway, once I find the excavation site and I start using the Auger, there are large areas of the site outlined in white. What do these white lines signify?
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smitch_59 wrote: »
    Thank you for this guide. I just got the chapter yesterday and have just started learning about the antiquities system.

Anyway, once I find the excavation site and I start using the Auger, there are large areas of the site outlined in white. What do these white lines signify?

Ok, so when you use the augur, you'll find either a red square (very far away from the artifact position), orange (fairly far away), yellow (within 2 squares away), and green (the artifact itself).

When you mouseover a RED square, a white border will pop up around it. For a red square, it means NO PART of the artifact is INSIDE that border.

The orange border shows a two-square "ring border" around it; it means at least one square of the artifact is located in that border.

The two-square boundary around a yellow square means at least one square of the artifact is within that border.

By seeing the various borders shown by mousing over the various squares, you can more or less pinpoint the area where the artifact is.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of things that I haven't seen here, along with trying to answer some questions.

1. When you go to use the eye but you don't see the little "comet" thing pointing toward the dig site, first check to verify in your quick slot that it actually went off. If it did, it will have a little line passing through the box to tell you you're in the cool down period. If there's no line, try to use it again.

2. If the quick slot shows that it did go off but you don't see it, check where you are standing. Are you in a crevice, next to a tree, or a big rock? My little comet is notorious for hiding inside any large objects I may be standing too close to. It will hide in the trunk of a tree or inside a hill/rock and you won't be able to see it. Try moving to an open area, wait for the cool down to end, and try again.

3. There are more than three "bonus" items available in every dig site. However, you are limited to being able to pick up only three while you excavate.

4. The reason I say there are more than three available is that I recently changed techniques. After digging up my item I was limiting myself to looking for bonus items in the squares immediately around the item I dug up. Sometimes I would find 3, more often not. I started setting off the fissures instead. Without a picture I'll try to explain. The fissures are the smoking squares in the dig site. If you level all the dirt between the fissures to the same level and then use the augur (shovel that you have to "charge" that can dig down a single square up to four levels) to blow up one fissure, it will explode all of the fissures down to the bottom with a line between them. You're digging up a lot of ground in one explosion. Once I swear I saw four bonus items while the dirt "line" was in the process of exploding, but I was only given three of those bonus items. (upper echelon mediocrity has a YouTube video that explains the fissures and how to set them all off at once on Xbox). I think there are bonus items scattered all over the dig site but the game will only give you the first 3 you dig up. If you happen to blow up more than 3, you still only get 3.

5. You can pick up more than one of each antiquity with a few exceptions. The exceptions are the purple "freebie" in each zone and the auri-el coin that you can sell to your merchant for 100k gold. That's because the game will only give you one lead for these items, period. For all other antiquities, you are only limited to how many leads you pick up for the item. You cannot have more than one lead at the same time for any one item. I have not tried to earn more than one of any of the multiple-piece mythics, but the fact that there is space in the codex for three of each mythic leads me to believe that you can get more than one. Also, I have gotten additional leads for pieces of mythic items that I already had. There's really no reason to try to get multiples of any mythic unless you want to fill the three codex entries. You can't wear more than one of the same apparel item, carry more than one of the same weapon, or have more than one version of any mount or pet in your collection.

6. All leads now have expiration dates! Ever since update 31, even the blue and purple leads that you pick up now expire in 30 days from the day you pick up the lead.

I hope this info helps.
    Edited by LadySinflower on September 16, 2021 1:42AM
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Oh I was definitely in. I was right in the center of the blue search area, according to the mini map. Logged in and did a full quit, 5-6 times. No “comet” each time.

It took some finagling for my comet to eventually appear as well. Try quitting; try reloading UI; try abandoning that scry and try again - throw spaghetti at the wall until it sticks. It wasn't working at all when I first started out, but once I got it working via the spaghetti method, it's been fine ever since.

Did you guys notice where you were standing when your comet didn't seem to appear? I've had lots of occasions where I hit the button but it didn't seem to start, but yet I could still hear the faint sound it made when active. Looking around, I once noticed the "tail" of the comet sticking out of a nearby hill. It had spawned mostly inside the hill with only a tiny part sticking out.

It doesn't seem to recognize when you're standing next to an obstacle and might spawn inside a tree, rock, wall, house, hill, or whatever you're standing by. Move to an open area to see if you have better luck. Give it nothing to spawn inside of to block your view.

Also, mine tends to spawn behind my character a lot. Make sure you turn around to see if it's behind you.