The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Ballgroups cheating ?, a view from inside

Einstein_
Einstein_
✭✭✭
Hallo, I am a current officer in the ballgroup guild Project Nova (PC/EU). I am reading a lot forum post about how OP and broken ballgroups are, and yes thats kinda true.
But I want to show here that this is deserved and what we are investing to get to a point where we are. Maybe some pll will understand better after reading this, even tho i am sure there will be still a lot of ball hater comments aswell. Nevertheless I want to show you a few points.

Optimization: We have a specific setup with 12 roles, where every role is excatly defined. We take hours every patch to greate a setup which is as much optimized as possible, and this ofc changes if meta changes or we disscover new stuff. Every role is optimized and defined in Skills/glyphs/traits/staats/munuds...., even more strict than most trial groups on a GS lvl.

The raid leader exactly knows that on role X is a certaint skill, and the person playing role X knows in which situations he needs to use that skill to help the whole group.
No random or even guild member will join our group on some random solo setup which does not fit into the group. This helps us to have all the important buffs/sets in our group which makes us strong (PA, minor/major courage, minor/major sorcery, ect), pretty similar to trial groups. This leads to stats which no solo build can ever achive (for example on a DD: 10k WD/110% crit muliplier/Acuity/15k Pen/40k HP/enugh rec).

Training: We play frequently together and know the behaviour of others and the raid leader. Everybody knows whats important for the group to function and how the mechanics work, it took us months to get to this point. Alot ppl say every ballgroup player is a noob solo, thats acually not true alot of our members are pretty good duelists and solo players. If you dont belive me, I encurage anybody to come to Alikre and fight some of us. I am there pretty often (not saying I'll win vs everyone :> ).

ESO-LOGS: we logg and make videos of every raid and analyse them afterwards, so we can see exactly where we need to improve. For example if our DK only achived 60% uptime on the minor brutality buff we can see that and improve, or if somebody was in general just not doing what we expect from that role we can see that and improve.
In videos we can see our behaviour in certain situations and improve on positioning and strategy for example.

Regading new sets: The new anti purge set took us 1 raid to understand and to counter. So thats not a big proplem for us, even tho we for sure took a nerf from it (since we cant purge anymore).
Hrothgars chill does nothing to us, since we anyway get stuned on CD if you fight huge numbers.
Dark Convergenz is just anoying. And ofc optimized groups can use this any set more optimal then the average player in zerg.
Are this sets killing us ? Not really..

can you kill us ?: YES, but not with some uncordinated pew pew.I am sure with a group of 3+ ppl on a good setup you can kill us. But you need to understand when the right moment is and your dmg needs to be cordinated.

Résumé : An optimized group with a lot training will always beat the double or tripple amount of enemys, and in my opinion it should be like this. A good solo player can win a 1v3 against not experianced players, why shouldnt a group be able to win 12v36 ? In general this game is designed to be a group content, you also cant go with 12 craglorn randoms in vSS and expect GS.

If you have further questions feel free to ask.

BTW: we also looking for new experianced and deticated players, you can contanct me ig.
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good description of an hardcore ballgroup, it takes lots of time and experience to get to that point. It also implies that procsets, is an important part in the equation. Still an optimized group will be good in any environment.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
    Options
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds pretty much like the best ball groups on the PC NA server (eg Dracarys). It takes a lot of work and effort and it isn't easy to run in those groups. The leader has to be incredibly knowledgeable and make quick judgements.

I agree that such a group should easily be able to beat 3x as many pugs. On my faction, several of (the only ) groups that run are just composed of random pugs. There is no designation of role, no build requirements, no instructions , no training. Even worse, most players dont group and are solo.

My question is, doesn't it get old? You are expected to beat pugs. I see ball groups running around inside keeps for 30 minutes, they farm the pugs one by one, focusing their huge 12 man power on 2-4 pugs at a time and wiping them out, then running around some more.

I don't see the point. Why don't ball groups fight other ball groups? Is it really that fun to slaughter random solo pugs who, by your admission, have 10x less stats, healing, etc?

It is not at all like 1v3-- the solo player has only his own buffs and abilities. The ball groups have 10 radiating regens on them, etc etc.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Tribune
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Tribune
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
    Options
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    This sounds pretty much like the best ball groups on the PC NA server (eg Dracarys). It takes a lot of work and effort and it isn't easy to run in those groups. The leader has to be incredibly knowledgeable and make quick judgements.

I agree that such a group should easily be able to beat 3x as many pugs. On my faction, several of (the only ) groups that run are just composed of random pugs. There is no designation of role, no build requirements, no instructions , no training. Even worse, most players dont group and are solo.

My question is, doesn't it get old? You are expected to beat pugs. I see ball groups running around inside keeps for 30 minutes, they farm the pugs one by one, focusing their huge 12 man power on 2-4 pugs at a time and wiping them out, then running around some more.

I don't see the point. Why don't ball groups fight other ball groups? Is it really that fun to slaughter random solo pugs who, by your admission, have 10x less stats, healing, etc?

It is not at all like 1v3-- the solo player has only his own buffs and abilities. The ball groups have 10 radiating regens on them, etc etc.

Ballgroups do fight other Ballgroups but will often do it away from everyone else to avoid interference.
    Options
  • Einstein_
    Einstein_
    ✭✭✭

we had planty of GvGs vs other good ballgroups in the past. But often do them away from the zerg so we dont have other players interfere. GvGs is a thing for its own, you need completly new tactics and a other playstyle.

also atm there is sadly no other ballgroup worth fighting in a 12v12, i hope that will change again in the future.
    Edited by Einstein_ on September 4, 2021 7:14PM
    Options
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Organisation is good. Group optimisation is good. Coordination via teamspeak or discord is good.

Busting into a keep and doing laps of the top floor is not good. Telling players on your own faction to go away because you're a ball group and they are not part of your group is not good. Picking scrolls and using them to farm instead of returning them to temples is not good. Dumping said scrolls in the fishes once you're done farming so they Respawn with enemy is not good.

Ballgrouping by itself is not a negative. The selfish choices of individual ballgroups is why everyone else wants them to go. If your group does not do these things, you are in the tiny minority.
    Edited by rbfrgsp on September 4, 2021 7:26PM
    Options
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But I want to show here that this is deserved and what we are investing to get to a point where we are
    I'm not a hater or anything like this but I don't feel to much love for ballgroups for one reason. I understand all the hard work and training, but I don't admire it. Why? Just imagine basketball court in residental area of any city. Local kids love to play there basketball for fun, relax after school. And then some group organise, train hard, take lessons from NBA players, etc to achieve impossible levels compared to casual, amateur fun. And what they do next? Do they play only with other professionals? No, they randomly show up, take the ball and trash local kids for 30 minutes without break and then leave. Well done, you trashed casuals who just wanted to play in "normal circumstances" just for own satisfactions and don't give any [snip] about other people enjoyment.

You even almost admited it in your post. You just don't organize to hangout with some friends and casualy play. You sacrafice so much time with every detail, every little trait to be perfect in trashing PUGs, when you perfectly know that they just don't have a chance with so high level of preparation. For me so much of devotion to play 90% against non-organised pugs is just sad and now when I know how much it costs you to be there - I have even less respect for you than before :D I pro players who train hard to be pros in pros leagues against other pros.
    I am reading a lot forum post about how OP and broken ballgroups are, and yes thats kinda true
    [snip]

[edited for baiting & profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 5, 2021 5:36PM
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
    Options
  • Einstein_
    Einstein_
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a hater or anything like this but I don't feel to much love for ballgroups for one reason. I understand all the hard work and training, but I don't admire it. Why? Just imagine basketball court in residental area of any city. Local kids love to play there basketball for fun, relax after school. And then some group organise, train hard, take lessons from NBA players, etc to achieve impossible levels compared to casual, amateur fun. And what they do next? Do they play only with other professionals? No, they randomly show up, take the ball and trash local kids for 30 minutes without break and then leave. Well done, you trashed casuals who just wanted to play in "normal circumstances" just for own satisfactions and don't give any f's about other people enjoyment.

You even almost admited it in your post. You just don't organize to hangout with some friends and casualy play. You sacrafice so much time with every detail, every little trait to be perfect in trashing PUGs, when you perfectly know that they just don't have a chance with so high level of preparation. For me so much of devotion to play 90% against non-organised pugs is just sad and now when I know how much it costs you to be there - I have even less respect for you than before :D I pro players who train hard to be pros in pros leagues against other pros.

1. we do GvGs vs other groups on a similar lvl.
    2. there is no other Cyro with only "pros"
    3. so if a group reaches a certaint lvl they need to leave cyro because its unfair to play against others ?

its mean ofc some weekend chill players will loose vs ppl who have detication and put ours of training in the game. thats the case for everything and everywhere even rl.
    Organisation is good. Group optimisation is good. Coordination via teamspeak or discord is good.
    Busting into a keep and doing laps of the top floor is not good. Telling players on your own faction to go away because you're a ball group and they are not part of your group is not good. Picking scrolls and using them to farm instead of returning them to temples is not good. Dumping said scrolls in the fishes once you're done farming so they Respawn with enemy is not good.

Ballgrouping by itself is not a negative. The selfish choices of individual ballgroups is why everyone else wants them to go. If your group does not do these things, you are in the tiny minority.

Not everybody needs to play the map only for points, in a war where at the end nobody cares. and yes we are farming with scrolls BUT after some time we also try to bring them back. Otherwise the enemy faction will loose interest in us since they would know that the scroll will come back anyway.

also ballgroups can be used by the faction as bait, since they attract a lot enemys so the map is free te be conquered.

idk what i am doing here, i said to myself that i will not argue with haters and just answer questions.
    Options
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »

This 100%. That's all you see ballgroups do now in Cyrodiil. Xbox NA. They don't care about the objectives anymore! Well they do have one objective, make every other player that care quit! For this reason, I support the new sets 100%. I will get kill by them and that is ok. But players now have a tool to deal with all this troll groups! I would say make the aoe damage of the new sets even stronger. We have new tools to deal with trolls, and I am grateful. Thank you ZOS.
    Options
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now you want applause for your hard work? Hard work in breaking game balance even more and frustrating casuals who don't want or have possibility to professionaly organise? Frustrating people who want just relax after work and not be trashed for 30 minutes in one keep with some 20 pet sorcs group or other broken options?

But the same could be said for PvP specific builds. Even BG for instance has become very frustrating for some players, despite with fast respawn and clear direction, and most of time there aren't pro premade groups.

What could possibly serve as equalizer? Limit group heals and disable voice communication...?
    Options
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Snip]

What count as unhealthy advantage?

For example I use crafted food, potions, poisons and proc sets. I have no skill whatsoever but against anyone who don't have a PvP build I'm very likely to win. Without those, I don't stand a chance against real PvP players.

Does that suck out enjoyment from very casual players? Judging from some of 0-N scores in BG I'd say it should, not that anyone complained about me but others complained about hopeless situations, and I know they feel that way because the disparity is so huge that often you could tell if it's impossible to win a few minutes into the game.

So now we have players with right gears
    and players with right gears and right skills
    and players with right gears and right skills and work as a real group
    and all those plus professionally trained groups

It's basically a food chain... We could of course complain about the one at the very top, but removing them wouldn't make it any easier for those below.

[Edit to remove quoted content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on September 6, 2021 10:00PM
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I greatly enjoy cooperative gameplay with a large guild group because it's playing with my friends. I found it far more cohesive and effective to play with and train with a team than it ever was PUGing it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed PUGing with randoms too. But when I want to capture keeps and fight for EP, there's nothing quite like rolling with my guild raid.

When we fought PUGs and zergs over keeps, we had the advantage in leadership, voice comms, and dedicated roles. I like playing healer in guild and as a PUG and I can't overstate the effectiveness of simply knowing when your group is going to push or retreat. Being in voice comms makes a world of difference in a fight, and most PUGs aren't even that coordinated. Most of my healer sets are useless in a PUG because my groupmates are scattered across the whole front of a keep when we siege. Compare that to the discipline of a guild raid! When we fight other guilds in big keep battles, the difference is night and day.

Don't make it sound like "discipline" is a bad thing. If you want to play casual with half the group splitting off to take the lumber mill while the other half starts sieging the door until you alert the enemy and get wiped in detail, go for it. But that's not how we wanted to play. Basic discipline like "stay on Crown" and "bring siege" and "push now" make our PVP experience much more fun than playing loosy-goosy.

That's not to say you can't have fun playing loosy-goosy. You can! But it's not how we wanted to play. It was far more fun putting in the effort to work together properly than it was to play loose and see where we lost battles because of it.

We fight for EP. We're a loyalist guild who plays for the faction score and capturing important keeps, not farming PUGs in back keeps unless it was a necessary distraction. And we take heat for it in zone chat. We took heat for PvDoor - nevermind that by PvDooring a keep we opened a window for our alliance to better attack or defend a more important location. We took heat for fighting at big battles versus other Guilds and enemy zergs because now we were "zerging". We took heat for scroll pushes when other people on the alliance wanted to do something else.

To this day, it absolutely befuddles me how many Zone Generals feel entitled to tell guilds what to do. And that goes for Forum Generals too, who want to tell guilds that 8 to 24 players in voice comms, dedicated roles, and working together is somehow not within the intended gameplay for Cyrodiil. It is, and even though ZOS tried to blame organized guild raids with their dedicated roles and ability to "spam" skills for the performance issues, weeks of Live testing showed that not to be the case. I would absolutely argue that dropping the raid size to 12 in pursuit of reducing server communication between group members did more to harm PUGs, PUG guilds, and less organized guilds than it did to harm the ball groups who were already running with close to 12 people.

You may not like the gameplay of organized guild raids - I don't expect to convince anyone to like it if they don't. But for all this talk of "morality" and "taking unhealthy advantage of ESO's freedom", claiming that Cyrodiil isn't balanced for it (like ZOS didn't just release sets intended to balance certain aspects of group play), or painting guilds as try-hards ruining the neighborhood pick-up game as though Cyrodiil is exclusively for casuals and PUGs...

Those criticisms might well be made of scorepushing Vet Trials groups. Nobody doubts that those guilds work together, communicate, theorycraft their builds to a "T", and train together to perform at the best of their ability. Nobody doubts that they push the ceiling higher, leading ZOS to make gameplay changes in response.

And no one doubts that they have fun doing it. I love running with my guildmates, fighting for EP, because win or lose we are having fun.

Blood for the Pact!
    Options
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭

moo_2021 wrote: »
    It's basically a food chain... We could of course complain about the one at the very top, but removing them wouldn't make it any easier for those below.

This is true since the game was released long ago. Over the time though a few things have changed to make the gap bigger.
    1. Procsets give organized goups an advantage over the rest, in the begining there were none. I think that the Ravenwatch is a test by ZOS to see if they should abondon the procset approach for a better balance.
    2. In the begining, when the game was new, it was fun to win campaigns for all players but it soon became stale when people realized that one win a campaign when the camapaign is empty and that the reward is crap. Ouite a number of people incuding me have asked ZOS to make the campaigns more rewarding but to no avail.

I am not surpriced that some then focus on farming ap and optimizing. It surprices me though that an excelent group like Nova prefers the easier playingground were they that the largest advantage.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
    Options
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ball groups are broken yeah. But pick a small bunch of players from any ball group and they are pretty much 1vX material.

I disagree with anyone who thinks they are individually good solo players or duelists.

Why ?

You can't be good at something which you never really did lol.

Besides the only reason why ball groups do manage to kill other players is because of lag
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on September 5, 2021 2:22AM
    Options
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind ball groups until the lag kicks in. I'm just looking for interesting fights, win or lose. But when you have a slide show fight with 100 effects going off and people crashing it gets old.
    PvP needs more love.
    Options
  • CharlieFreak
    CharlieFreak
    ✭✭✭
    No one wants to hear this, but this is the worst thing that can happen to PvP in this game - but you guys will never see it. And that is the reason why you play with the same 100 people day in and day out. You complain all day about how PvP is dying or dead because ZoS doesn't support it. Nope that's not why. It's you and your elite groups, and the over-the-top damage in this game.

Most people who play games cannot commit to this level of dedication, and they're being tossed into battle with people who live and breath this game. They just wanna come in and have some fun. Similar to what they'd do in Counter-Strike or something. Get a few kills. Accept that they suck, but those few successes inspire them to try harder, improve their gear, etc.

I love pvp and have played pvp-centric MMOs for over 20 years (started with Ultima Online). I try so hard to get my friends in this game to pvp more (or at all) and they try it for a few days and never come back. Why? Because they go out there, maybe THINK about casting a spell or something. Get in range, instantly stunned and dead before they come unstunned. Over and over and over. "Charlie this is stupid! Who would want to play this garbage" And they go back to doing easy mode vet Trials so they can actually maybe use a couple skills before they are vaporized.

This is the first MMO I've ever played where a normal casual player will, as a rule, be stunned for 3-4 full seconds at the start of an encounter and die before he ever used a single ability. Magicka toons in heavy armor and sword/board. Every melee class with a gap closer they can spam. Kiting impossible unless you are a sorc. It's all so ridiculous to people from other MMOs. (not sure about WoW. Never played it.)

The pvp in this game will ONLY ever appeal to hardcore pvpers. Think about the millions of subs this game boasts, and how few of those people PvP. It's an awful experience for all but the most hardcore.

Personally I have learned to adapt. I play mostly solo/duo and do my own thing - as do many of you reading this, but in 20 years of MMOs I have never seen anything like this... and it's extremely off-turning to casual players.

It's never fun to be absolutely steamrolled over and over for 100% of your game time. But this is what cheese-ball groups offer for the casual player in Cyro.
    Options
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with anyone who thinks they are individually good solo players or duelists.

Some of them are. Some of them aren't. What does it matter?
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
    Options
  • Arbiter7070
    Arbiter7070
    ✭✭✭
    No one wants to hear this, but this is the worst thing that can happen to PvP in this game - but you guys will never see it. And that is the reason why you play with the same 100 people day in and day out. You complain all day about how PvP is dying or dead because ZoS doesn't support it. Nope that's not why. It's you and your elite groups, and the over-the-top damage in this game.

Most people who play games cannot commit to this level of dedication, and they're being tossed into battle with people who live and breath this game. They just wanna come in and have some fun. Similar to what they'd do in Counter-Strike or something. Get a few kills. Accept that they suck, but those few successes inspire them to try harder, improve their gear, etc.

I love pvp and have played pvp-centric MMOs for over 20 years (started with Ultima Online). I try so hard to get my friends in this game to pvp more (or at all) and they try it for a few days and never come back. Why? Because they go out there, maybe THINK about casting a spell or something. Get in range, instantly stunned and dead before they come unstunned. Over and over and over. "Charlie this is stupid! Who would want to play this garbage" And they go back to doing easy mode vet Trials so they can actually maybe use a couple skills before they are vaporized.

This is the first MMO I've ever played where a normal casual player will, as a rule, be stunned for 3-4 full seconds at the start of an encounter and die before he ever used a single ability. Magicka toons in heavy armor and sword/board. Every melee class with a gap closer they can spam. Kiting impossible unless you are a sorc. It's all so ridiculous to people from other MMOs. (not sure about WoW. Never played it.)

The pvp in this game will ONLY ever appeal to hardcore pvpers. Think about the millions of subs this game boasts, and how few of those people PvP. It's an awful experience for all but the most hardcore.

Personally I have learned to adapt. I play mostly solo/duo and do my own thing - as do many of you reading this, but in 20 years of MMOs I have never seen anything like this... and it's extremely off-turning to casual players.

It's never fun to be absolutely steamrolled over and over for 100% of your game time. But this is what cheese-ball groups offer for the casual player in Cyro.

I agree with much of what you have said. This is coming from someone that absolutely loves the PVP aspect of this game and plays solo or small group every single day but your reasons for the PVP in this game being inaccessible are spot on. I have many friends that won't step foot into PVP for the same problems which you listed. It feels almost impossible for them to learn the game. I can duel and teach them the mechanics but fighting and trying to kite these uber sweat groups is almost impossible for the average player. I can tell them they need triple swift, major expedition, snare removal and good positioning but there are certain things that just require possibly hundreds of hours of practice to do. Now I am not saying to dumb this game down or make it easier. But nerfing some of the mechanics that makes ball groups so strong (like regen stacking) would be VERY healthy for this game. Damage is also insanely over the top compared to other MMO's and by the time you can break free because of the lag, you're most likely already dead against these ball groups. The new sets they added were supposed to level the playing field against these groups but in fact, they're just being abused by the ball groups for even easier kills (who would've saw that one coming xD).

ESO PVP is for better or worse catered to the hardcore, admittedly I am one of those people but I do my best to try and help and ease other players that are interested get into it. I am not sure what exactly the solution is to pull more casual players into it because like I said, I'm not about dumbing the game down, but nerfing some of the borderline toxic and broken mechanics that ball groups can harness to become virtually unkillable. Ball groups get a bad rep and some with good reason. Running around a keep for 30 minutes wiping PUG's with a scroll and dumping it in the water is insanely toxic and the antithesis of what Cyrodiil is about. I don't want organized group play dismantled. An organized group SHOULD be able to wipe PUG's all day. But somehow, someway, something needs to change for the longevity and health of this games PVP scene. What we lack is the ability to get players to stick with PVP.
    Edited by Arbiter7070 on September 5, 2021 8:18AM
    Options
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Essentially how a good and non-toxic end-game pve group runs then. Thank you for the insight. I do pvp, but strictly solo as I don’t like the pressure of a group in pvp alone. So I never really understood how pvp groups would run outside of pugging. Hoping yall have less toxicity than pve groups and guilds do though. Not sure why pve tends to bring the nasty and backstabby sides of people out.

Edit because I know someone will most likely point out pvp is toxic af. Not to the extent pvers can be in my opinion. I’ve never seen pvpers completely boot you from a close-knit group because of severe lack of communication. Or the ego-rubbing some pvers do. There's reasons why the end-game pve scene is small.
    Edited by WuffyCerulei on September 5, 2021 8:26AM
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
    Options
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Einstein_ wrote: »
    Not everybody needs to play the map only for points, in a war where at the end nobody cares. and yes we are farming with scrolls BUT after some time we also try to bring them back. Otherwise the enemy faction will loose interest in us since they would know that the scroll will come back anyway.

You're EP GH? I think I recognise your name. Your group does run back scrolls eventually, but you are in the minority of one with that. And players in your group do use zone chat to tell other faction members to go away, which is totally unacceptable from a sportsmanship point of view.

And I think a lot of organised groups overstate the sandboxiness of Cyrodiil. The objectives and scoring are clearly laid out. Yes, you can run around ignoring objectives, but you're not really playing the game mode you have entered.

It is like those players who hit 1.7mn damage in BG and are proud of themselves but you're left standing there in third place because they were deathmatching while the other 11 players were playing Crazy King. But because campaigns are 30 days instead of 15 minutes, it is harder for you to see your own flawed strategy because the outcome is not immediate.

And here's why it annoys people: there is a sense that ballgroups want to feel elite, without actually being elite.

An elite ball can obtain six scrolls and sit on them with the defenders powerless to stop them. But when you see a ball doing laps of the top deck of a castle while all their scrolls are in opponents' hands, you tend to assume they are arsing about because they're not good enough to get the paper back.
    Options
  • Zabagad
    Zabagad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Einstein_ wrote: »
    and yes we are farming with scrolls BUT after some time we also try to bring them back. Otherwise the enemy faction will loose interest in us since they would know that the scroll will come back anyway.
    I don't say you are a liar and your argument makes sence BUT I can't remember any scroll which brought home by an AD ballgroup since one year or so.
    Maybe I was just unlucky to see that, or maybe I shouldn't lockout if the lag is to bad?

Besides the lag problem (which most balls deny and should be a different topic) I try to explain you the other side of the story:

I can remember you because I had some really nice fights with you.
    These fights were maybe 1 year ago and I still can remember your name and the fights.
    Why?
    Because you are a good player and these fights were really nice, because they were somehow open in the result.
    We were maybe 8-10 ppl and you were duo and sometimes solo (maybe the other guy was dead? :) )
    So you were better players but we had the numbers to even that out.
    I can remember 2 killingblows on you and I died sometimes - your duo lost some fights - we lost some fights.
    That was thrilling and I guess both sides had their fun.

Why I write all this? Because I miss that and the differnce to the present is huge.

Whenever I see your name now - or I see that it's a ballgroup in general - I leave.
    There is nothing for me to win - nothing. I can only lose a lot of time without any fun. Even when I don't die at all and if the ball dies after 30 minutes - in 90% of the time they already had a camp, or the last player was successful jumping down and hidden ran away and make a new camp.
    Then the same bad story repeats.
    So - in these fights only one side has fun.

My worsed situation appears when I realize to late that it's a ball and I'm already in combat. Because until the ball dies (or I die) I'm stuck in combat for the next 30 minutes :(

TL;DR I like open fights where both sides have a chance - even if some are better then others and win the majority of the fights.
    And that's why I don't like to fight ballgroups.
    PC EU (noCP AD) Grey/Grau AD
    Options
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abyssmol wrote: »
    rbfrgsp wrote: »

This 100%. That's all you see ballgroups do now in Cyrodiil. Xbox NA. They don't care about the objectives anymore! Well they do have one objective, make every other player that care quit! For this reason, I support the new sets 100%. I will get kill by them and that is ok. But players now have a tool to deal with all this troll groups! I would say make the aoe damage of the new sets even stronger. We have new tools to deal with trolls, and I am grateful. Thank you ZOS.

Why on earth would anyone care about objective. Seriously. You get measly rewards in PvP. Especially at the end oh wow a few gold or purple pieces and 40k gold. The rewards for PvP in every aspect is pathetic. There should be great incentives for going into PvP like top tier weapons, armour which can only get through PvP. I remember when you could get master weapons. Now you can't. There's no incentive for good players to play objective hence why they find alternatives to make it more rewarding themselves. By farming people with scrolls, ball grouping up and trolling. If zenimax give PvP a great reward system. Maybe these ball groups wouldn't care about farming and would want to play objective. Maybe I who is primarily a 1vXer on Xbox EU would actually helps towards the objective. But right now I do nothing besides kill people. I never siege. I let people die on my alliance because I want to get 1vXs. Selfish. But its necessary to make PvP more rewarding.
    Options
  • NotTaylorSwift
    NotTaylorSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of people saying we just troll randoms and hinder our own alliance. We play EP and it happens quite frequently that we will be fighting in fare or roe or bb/bm and our alliance manages to push to those keeps in the end because they have no resistance in other keeps. I don’t see how this hinders our alliance. And also we have started, since a few months now, giving scrolls to other EP members to return to temples after we are done with them or don’t want them anymore.

And also “trashing pugs must get old/be boring”. No it’s fun :lol: Whats not fun is the lag that we also get and sometimes die because of.
    Options
  • NotTaylorSwift
    NotTaylorSwift
    ✭✭✭✭

But nerfing some of the mechanics that makes ball groups so strong (like regen stacking) would be VERY healthy for this game.

Nerfing hot stacking would be the death of pugs. Same kind of thing as when healing was group only.

Gl sieging vs a big defense with 1 or 2 hots on you. It’s easy to overlook or not even notice zerg healers in a siege but the hots are the reason most pugs do not die in about 3 seconds.

It’s statements like this that bring bad changes into the game because zos actually listens to them sometimes…

Think of the bigger picture and not just how to kill ballgroups before writing stuff on a forum that the devs, for whatever reason, use to make changes to the game.
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of comments about the selfishness of ball group play, which isn’t entirely undeserved. It’s also ignoring that they are creating opportunity for their faction, and sadly most of the time their alliance doesn’t take advantage of it.

I do wish there were even the tiniest measure of communication with the other guild leaders on the server, or that they could be directed to where map strategists would get the most benefit (“hey this would be a great time for you guys to go farm Farra or Arruis and get red off our arse”), when they are active they are neutralizing a big chunk of your enemy population, creating opportunity for you to push. They are creating strife and infighting in enemy zone chat, as puglets argue, ask for help, ignore advice to ignore the ball, and blame their guilds and groups for not helping.

These situations could be a huge benefit to map and scoreboard players, and it’s seldom acted on effectively.

To OP and other ball group leaders, I suggest that goodwill may be gained with a simple line in chat once or twice a night “we’re holed up at ____ location for while, if you guys want to take advantage of that”.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    There are a lot of comments about the selfishness of ball group play, which isn’t entirely undeserved. It’s also ignoring that they are creating opportunity for their faction, and sadly most of the time their alliance doesn’t take advantage of it.

I do wish there were even the tiniest measure of communication with the other guild leaders on the server, or that they could be directed to where map strategists would get the most benefit (“hey this would be a great time for you guys to go farm Farra or Arruis and get red off our arse”), when they are active they are neutralizing a big chunk of your enemy population, creating opportunity for you to push. They are creating strife and infighting in enemy zone chat, as puglets argue, ask for help, ignore advice to ignore the ball, and blame their guilds and groups for not helping.

These situations could be a huge benefit to map and scoreboard players, and it’s seldom acted on effectively.

To OP and other ball group leaders, I suggest that goodwill may be gained with a simple line in chat once or twice a night “we’re holed up at ____ location for while, if you guys want to take advantage of that”.

Some guilds communicate in zone. Some guilds communicate with other guilds. It depends. Not everyone has the talent or inclination to be a Zone General, and sometimes telling Zone what you are doing is detrimental to the guild's tactics. It's all very situational.

And as you say, sometimes your faction doesn't pay attention. There were times my guild would start out cooperating, but if the faction wasn't following through, we'd do our own thing.

One of the big things ZOS did that I feel hurt Cyrodiil was to kill off the big PUG guilds. However much enemy players complained about the guilds who'd pick up two to three raids of PUGS and then "zerg" the map, at least they were battling at objectives and were largely welcoming places for new players to get their feet wet in PVP.

The big PUG raids also had players who were willing to Zone General. They were willing to say in zone chat "We're going to Chalman" knowing that the enemy might find out, but counting on the fact that random players and zergsurfers would follow them to Chalman and give them the edge in numbers. Meanwhile, a PVP guild might see it and decide "Hmm, we can ambush a different objective so if they win Chalman, we're in a better position!"

Sure, as a PVP guild who fought for objectives, we fought those PUG raid guilds a lot. We won a lot. But they weren't helpless and completely disorganized because they did have leadership and it made for really fun fights - not least because when the enemy's PUG raids and their ball groups teamed up to push for emperorship or defend a keep, things got really challenging!

The Live Testing and then permanently dropping to 12 man groups did a lot of damage to that playstyle. It's harder for 12-man groups to coordinate and survive with newer or less experienced players, which made up the bulk of PUGs before. It's harder for a good Zone General or PUG leader to collect players for a fight - and while that may delight small scalers, it's actually a bad thing if you want to beat ball groups who've infested your keep.

When you've got a PVP guild or a ball group, it's a lot easier to mow through 4 piecemeal 12-man PUGgroups who aren't following a leader than it is to fight two 24-man raids of PUGS following a guild leader in voice comms.

But ZOS thinks that 4 piecemeal groups of 12 is better for server communication, and then wonders why ball groups are stronger than ever...
    Options
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thanks :) as you mentioned us i'll reply to these points from my PoV.

doesn't it get old? - For us yes, that's why we do things like dropping our numbers further, trying to challenge ourselves to achieve certain goals. For example, not just 'top floor farm' but actually take the keep etc and look for other groups to fight we change our nights quite regularly to achieve this recently as it tended to be that we were seeing less groups playing on the nights we ran regularly.

Why don't ball groups fight other ball groups? - For a basic answer, most groups in general (ballgroup or not) don't like to fight other groups. You see this when organising and attending events. For example last EU event only 2 'ball' groups showed up (RPC and Fist). Last NA event no AD groups showed up (despite there being 3-4 of them running at the time) (note: Xans, Tyr, IL, CBB, Yellow Fever and Queens Brigade all showed up in the past).
    The reason for this is that in a pure equal numbers GVG unless the groups are very evenly matched the outcome will never change. Whoever is going to 'win' on that day based on what they brought / how they are playing is who's going to win in general for the rest of the night. So often a lot of groups don't like to lose and thus avoid situations if they can't win. Additionally many groups find it hard to learn and improve from group vs group encounters because they don't know what they are doing wrong and so will go for easier fights / frontline stuff etc.

Your final statement of 'it's not like 1v3' etc. Honestly this is just perspective, firstly you are incorrect about the 10 regens. If you look at our recent footage you will see that we rarely have more than 2-4 on us. Additionally yes you don't just have your own buffs but you have your 'group' the challenge is to see how the group as a whole can perform in situations where you are outnumbered as a whole or as a group vs another group etc.
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on September 5, 2021 3:07PM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the flags of a keep are flipped, and all breaches are closed, start a 2-minute timer. After 2-minute timer ends, a keep-wide pulse of damage kills all enemy players inside.

Ball groups can still roll into opened keeps and capture quickly. They can roll into their own open keeps under attack and wipe attackers quickly. Ball groups can still run in circles around rocks on the paths between keeps, drawing in noobs and pugs. Or they can steamroll people at choke points like mile gates. Or they can see an enemy group with siege setup and roll in to kill all the enemies and burn their siege. Lots of opportunities for balls group to do ball group things.

All of the items I listed above feel like playing the game objective. Average players expect that enemy groups, some of them quite good, will try to stop you from capturing keeps. Or will try to take keeps. Or will engage at choke points to block you from getting into their territory. It stinks to lose, but it makes sense in the larger context of game.

But no more running in circles for 30 minutes inside closed enemy keeps. This above all else seems to be what infuriates average PvP players. It doesn't feel like expected gameplay. It feels like trolling.
    Options
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to add the following to the discussion.
    This analogy will appear weird at first but will make sense later.

Social deprivation and play in rats
    There have been numerous studies into play behaviour in rats. Rats engage in wrestling to establish a dominance-hierarchy. Rats play until one of the rats is pinned down on the ground. In other words, the winner of the play is the rat pinning the other rat down. While the loser of the game is the rat that is being pinned to the ground by the other rat. Researchers* found something interesting in this play behaviour for dominance. The interesting find was that if the weaker rat didn't win at least 30% of the time, the weaker rat quit playing. Even when the dominant rat tried to tease the weaker rat to engage in play, the weaker rat refused to play.

*Panksepp & Beatty, 1980

What does this imply for Cyrodiil and ball groups?
    In Cyrodiil, we (players) are - similar to the rats - in a play of dominance. We engage in wrestling around objectives such as resources, structures and scrolls. The dominant players kill the weaker players and win the play. As you pointed out yourself, ball groups tend to win the majority of fights because they are "OP and broken" - partially due to time invested and partially due to game mechanics. The problem is that ball groups seem to win more than 70% of the fights (I believe it is safe to assume this statistic). Simultaneously, this means that the weaker player(s) win less than 30% of the time when they face a ball group. As a consequence, people tend to leave Cyrodiil when they can't win against ball groups and - instead - complain about ball groups on the forums, and partially rightfully so.

Social and fun factor
    As already pointed out by some in this discussion, Cyrodiil is about socializing and having fun. When the sole purpose of Cyrodiil is to prove (to yourself or others) that you are the best by winning >70% of the time, it comes at the cost of the social and fun factor that attracts players to Cyrodiil. By which I am not implying that running in a ball group is not fun. The point is, however, that ball groups are a minority in Cyrodiil. As such, the fun experience of the minority is at the expense of the fun that the majority (weaker players) experiences. When the dominant rats in Cyrodiil are too strong and the weaker rats don't win >30% of the time, the weaker rats will eventually refuse to play because it is no longer fun. As a consequence, it seems likely that eventually, the only thing left in Cyrodiil will be fighting with or against ball groups because all other weaker players have left.

In practice
    When a ball group intervenes in the battles that occur between the weaker players, the weaker players simply start refusing to play, especially when the ball group appears to be unkillable after multiple attempts. This refusal to play is shown in two types of behaviour: (1) ignoring the ball group and going to another location on the Cyrodiil map, or (2) leaving Cyrodiil to play PvE or do something else instead. In my view, this is an undesirable outcome that appears to be highly correlated to the OP'ness of ball groups.

Footnote:
    You could argue that the weaker players simply have to get good. The problem is, however, that most weaker players don't have the time to invest in group-building and min-maxing like some ball group players appear to have. Some people have full-time jobs and very busy lives and simply play in Cyrodiil to have some PvP fun.

Edited by DTStormfox on September 5, 2021 4:27PM
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

Options
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »

Some of them are. Some of them aren't. What does it matter?

The fact is none of them are
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    If the flags of a keep are flipped, and all breaches are closed, start a 2-minute timer. After 2-minute timer ends, a keep-wide pulse of damage kills all enemy players inside.

Ball groups can still roll into opened keeps and capture quickly. They can roll into their own open keeps under attack and wipe attackers quickly. Ball groups can still run in circles around rocks on the paths between keeps, drawing in noobs and pugs. Or they can steamroll people at choke points like mile gates. Or they can see an enemy group with siege setup and roll in to kill all the enemies and burn their siege. Lots of opportunities for balls group to do ball group things.

All of the items I listed above feel like playing the game objective. Average players expect that enemy groups, some of them quite good, will try to stop you from capturing keeps. Or will try to take keeps. Or will engage at choke points to block you from getting into their territory. It stinks to lose, but it makes sense in the larger context of game.

But no more running in circles for 30 minutes inside closed enemy keeps. This above all else seems to be what infuriates average PvP players. It doesn't feel like expected gameplay. It feels like trolling.

So you've never had a long keep battle where the enemy captures the flags, but your alliance pushes back in before they can button up front door and then has to siege down the inner door and push the flags?

Those fights are fun!

You've never held fought in an inner keep to delay the enemy, watched them capture the flags, then see your alliance's reinforcements arrive right afterwards and fight to recapture the keep?

How is this two-minute timer going to handle that?

If the goal is to stop ball groups from farming without impacting normal, expected gameplay, then let's just cut to the case:

ZOS needs to have a Live moderator watching who can port in, see that a Ball group is farming, and zap them all.
    Options