The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Dark Convergence and other AOE set&skill mechanics have finally leveled the playing field!

• Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The imbalanced strength of ball groups should have been addressed by addressing HoT stacking and purge spamming, not with sets. You could argue that Plaguebreak addresses purge spamming, but I still think a set is a lazy way to address problematic mechanics.

Addressing problematic mechanics removes the ability to exploit those mechanics, when you do this with a set, the set becomes ubiquitous.
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    The imbalanced strength of ball groups should have been addressed by addressing HoT stacking and purge spamming, not with sets. You could argue that Plaguebreak addresses purge spamming, but I still think a set is a lazy way to address problematic mechanics.

Addressing problematic mechanics removes the ability to exploit those mechanics, when you do this with a set, the set becomes ubiquitous.

Yes this is my main problem with these sets. Ball groups, tanky trolls, etc are balance issues that should be solved with changes to mechanics, not by adding more broken things to fix the old broken things.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Playnice wrote: »
    Stx wrote: »
    Never in any game have I seen this wierd entitled mindset that solo or smaller groups of players should be able to combat or defeat larger organized groups of players. It's very bizarre.

Also, these sets won't change anything. The larger groups can use these sets too, and they are so overtuned right now that they are just as effective at killing small groups of players.

What is bizarre to me is the mindset that group size should be the only factor in success.

Umm, that is the case in real life, not just video games. :)

More almost always beats less. In eso each addition player is a 100% "buff", unless ZOS arbitrarily adds functions to off set the advantage, things whose damage scales with the number of targets.

Not when you use skills that execute based on the lowest health person, heal based on # of targets, gain resources based on attacks, get healed on attacks (living dark can heal more than ball group players push out causing you to never die), etc.

I am surprised no one has made a templar cheese build yet. It's certainly possible and would take 5 seconds to put together one to best exploit these sets.

This would be an interesting idea. Something like Magplar with Convergence and Hrothgar. Toppling Charge into a group, proc hrothgar, drop channeled focus, proc Convergence, jabs jabs jabs jabs.
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry replied to wrong post
    Edited by relentless_turnip on August 30, 2021 3:11PM
    Options
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here's my thing: I already fight against ballgroups while solo or duo or smallgroup or whatever. If they are clearly not super-organized and skilled then I take my chances and see what I can get away with. And if they aren't a rabbble? Well, I don't expect to win against a well organized, coordinated group that is gunning straight for me in those cases. It's always a case of 'I wonder how long I can make this last?' That's my goal. Distract them. Keep them busy until others arrive. Or just challenge myself to see what I can do. And I could already do this with the sets in the game. But right now I feel significantly less powerful now that others are using these new sets and I'm not.

No you might say, 'So? Just use the sets then!'. And I will... once I get them. But that's my biggest issue yet. Now I feel like I *have* to use them just to keep up. Just to have a chance to do what I did before now I feel like I'm going to have to drop everything I had before and just go with this one thing everyone else does. And until I actually get my hands on a complete set of these items, I guess I'll just have to get jerked around in Cyrodiil, generally not enjoying myself.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if ballgroups are too strong, adding a few specific sets is not the right way to deal with it. Mechanic changes (like we've mentioned dozens of times for actual years now - similar heals stacking!) are the way I would prefer these 'problems' to be addressed. Not by shoehorning a lot of folks into using the same gear.
    Options
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, this set has really enabled players to not just mindlessly win with numbers. It isn't that effective on anyone that actually plays the mechanics, so even a large group will still dominate if they actually pay attention. Only the groups that mindlessly stack and expect everything they do to outheal any problems and never expect to react are the ones that get eaten alive by it and that's how it should be. Players should be rewarded for playing well and punished for playing mindlessly.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
    Options
  • TPishek
    TPishek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easy fix would be to just remove cyrodiil from the game.
    Options
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    Yea, this set has really enabled players to not just mindlessly win with numbers. It isn't that effective on anyone that actually plays the mechanics, so even a large group will still dominate if they actually pay attention. Only the groups that mindlessly stack and expect everything they do to outheal any problems and never expect to react are the ones that get eaten alive by it and that's how it should be. Players should be rewarded for playing well and punished for playing mindlessly.

So that's you solution to 'mindless play'? One set? Maybe two or three?
    Options
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Playnice wrote: »
    Stx wrote: »
    Never in any game have I seen this wierd entitled mindset that solo or smaller groups of players should be able to combat or defeat larger organized groups of players. It's very bizarre.

Also, these sets won't change anything. The larger groups can use these sets too, and they are so overtuned right now that they are just as effective at killing small groups of players.

What is bizarre to me is the mindset that group size should be the only factor in success.

Umm, that is the case in real life, not just video games. :)

More almost always beats less. In eso each addition player is a 100% "buff", unless ZOS arbitrarily adds functions to off set the advantage, things whose damage scales with the number of targets.

That statement is pretty much 100% false. Skilled always beats unskilled, trained always beats untrained, or tactics always beat uncoordinated mobs would make more sense. If greater numbers almost always won, there would be no point to pretty much every government in the world training and employing special forces, who almost always face vastly outnumbered odds... and win way more than they lose. So no, even in real life, mobs don't carry the day against anyone, other than possibly a smaller mob.

This also holds true for pretty much everything in life, not just fighting. Like a small team of scientists are 99.99% more likely to invent something before a thousand untrained high school dropouts could.
    Options
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »
    So here's my thing: I already fight against ballgroups while solo or duo or smallgroup or whatever. If they are clearly not super-organized and skilled then I take my chances and see what I can get away with. And if they aren't a rabbble? Well, I don't expect to win against a well organized, coordinated group that is gunning straight for me in those cases. It's always a case of 'I wonder how long I can make this last?' That's my goal. Distract them. Keep them busy until others arrive. Or just challenge myself to see what I can do. And I could already do this with the sets in the game. But right now I feel significantly less powerful now that others are using these new sets and I'm not.

No you might say, 'So? Just use the sets then!'. And I will... once I get them. But that's my biggest issue yet. Now I feel like I *have* to use them just to keep up. Just to have a chance to do what I did before now I feel like I'm going to have to drop everything I had before and just go with this one thing everyone else does. And until I actually get my hands on a complete set of these items, I guess I'll just have to get jerked around in Cyrodiil, generally not enjoying myself.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if ballgroups are too strong, adding a few specific sets is not the right way to deal with it. Mechanic changes (like we've mentioned dozens of times for actual years now - similar heals stacking!) are the way I would prefer these 'problems' to be addressed. Not by shoehorning a lot of folks into using the same gear.

Sounds a lot like what I do when playing solo instead of grouped. My build/skills are 100% aimed at disrupting or killing groups, both coordinated or uncoordinated, and are pretty much useless in a 1v1. And there is nothing special about my build, although I am testing out DC at the moment, I can generally be found simply wearing Crafty, Spinners or similar no-proc type sets and it works out pretty well for me. More times than not, I can break up a group enough so our zerg or smaller groups can move in and take them down. The really good groups though, which are very few and far between, they pretty much roll over me if I am dumb enough to stay in their path, and I avoid their AP farming shenanigans like the plague, so it generally isn't a problem. I am a big believer in if you ignore them, they will go away and try something elsewhere.
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of weird arguments being made here...

When you break it down this entire issue is about the system favoring large groups to the point where they are undefeatable for solo players and smaller groups, even if the players are actually good. A good player will avoid a ballgroup, because they already know they don't stand a chance unless they have at least a similarly strong group on their side. Since ballgroups are so oppressive to solo players, letting them go unchecked means letting them drive out the solo players until ONLY ballgroups remain.

So in order to accommodate for solo/smallscale players and to break the dominance of performance reducing ballgroups, they are adding new tools to combat the ballgroups. That is a good thing. We can debate on whether these sets achieve that in a healthy way or not all day, but you can't deny that these sets do what they are supposed to do - provide a counter to large groups.

Ballgroups will adapt. They always do. But they won't stack up into unkillable balls of death anymore, who run around inside a hostile keep that isn't even flagged as under attack, killing respawning players and generating huge offensive ticks in the process. That was the entire problem to begin with. Whether these new sets are healthy or not, this unhealthy play pattern is what needed to be addressed.

It doesn't matter if it takes skill to be a ballgroup or not. If something can be so dramatically out of control that it is ruining the fun of anyone who isn't following the same strategy, then something is very wrong with the game.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
    Options
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    An actual ballgroup doesn't go after solo players, so a solo player generally has to be doing something to get their attention and warrant being run down, to even have interactions with them generally. Which was a personal choice the solo player made, like taking a pot shot or two as they were running/riding past.
    Options
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also I think it was last night (maybe 2 nights ago) in front of Faregyl, as a solo player I showed up to help the Daggerfall zerg try to take it, which ultimately failed due to no one working together and AD having 3 semi-coordinated groups running around. But in the 20 minutes I was there, I got about 50 kills, 20 killing blows and disrupted them quite a lot. So a solo player can actually make an impact, but whether it helps or not, strictly depends on the entire faction.

Quite honestly, I was satisfied overall with the encounter, even though we lost due to being vastly outnumbered and uncoordinated.
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    Also I think it was last night (maybe 2 nights ago) in front of Faregyl, as a solo player I showed up to help the Daggerfall zerg try to take it, which ultimately failed due to no one working together and AD having 3 semi-coordinated groups running around. But in the 20 minutes I was there, I got about 50 kills, 20 killing blows and disrupted them quite a lot. So a solo player can actually make an impact, but whether it helps or not, strictly depends on the entire faction.

Quite honestly, I was satisfied overall with the encounter, even though we lost due to being vastly outnumbered and uncoordinated.

Was that last night in Raven? Was leading one of the groups in that zerg (well, zerg of guild groups). We really didn't expect to win that but were just trying to stir up a big fight because the map was so empty. And we got one. And it was fun :)
    Options
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

When you break it down this entire issue is about the system favoring large groups to the point where they are undefeatable for solo players and smaller groups, even if the players are actually good. A good player will avoid a ballgroup, because they already know they don't stand a chance unless they have at least a similarly strong group on their side. Since ballgroups are so oppressive to solo players, letting them go unchecked means letting them drive out the solo players until ONLY ballgroups remain.

So in order to accommodate for solo/smallscale players and to break the dominance of performance reducing ballgroups, they are adding new tools to combat the ballgroups. That is a good thing. We can debate on whether these sets achieve that in a healthy way or not all day, but you can't deny that these sets do what they are supposed to do - provide a counter to large groups.

Ballgroups will adapt. They always do. But they won't stack up into unkillable balls of death anymore, who run around inside a hostile keep that isn't even flagged as under attack, killing respawning players and generating huge offensive ticks in the process. That was the entire problem to begin with. Whether these new sets are healthy or not, this unhealthy play pattern is what needed to be addressed.

It doesn't matter if it takes skill to be a ballgroup or not. If something can be so dramatically out of control that it is ruining the fun of anyone who isn't following the same strategy, then something is very wrong with the game.

This 100%!
    Options
  • MadeInVN
    MadeInVN
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I understand your point here. You're arguing that just because a solo player or a small group is good, they somehow should be able to stand a chance against larger groups?

When I 1vX or smallscale I fully expect myself to get overwhelmed and die even if the larger group I'm fighting is less experienced than me or my group. Numbers don't always win, but it's a massive advantage. All it takes is one person fossilizing you at the right time or one person in full damage hitting you with unblockable/undodgable damage and you die. There's nothing wrong with bigger groups killing smaller groups. What's wrong is sets that introduce imbalance to the game.

Not really because what you can use, ball groups can also use, and they do it better. Your 4 man group runs 3 convergence? Well that 12 man ball group over there runs 11 convergence and they will literally layer the entire ground where you stand with this proc and eliminate you from the start. Your group runs plaguebreak? They can too, and they have twice or 3 times the healing power that your 4 man group has. What are you going to do when 6 people spams plaguebreak at you and out-damage all your heals?

Introducing sets to counter a mechanic is never a good thing and usually ends up being counterproductive. We've learned this from previous patches when sets that applied major defile were supposed to counter players with high heals, but ended up hurting the ones with less heals the most.

Wait so what's wrong with running around a keep farming players? Whether you like it or not, they are PvPing and not breaking any rules. In fact, they are indirectly helping their faction by holding off players of your faction at one place so their faction doesn't have to worry about extra enemies to fight. Yea they aren't flagging the keep, but they're farming 20 ADs, and those 20 ADs will call for more ADs to come, and that gives the ballgroup's faction free keeps to capture.

My group isn't a ball group, but we're still farming players. Yea we can't farm 30 random pugs, but we can definitely take on 12 pugs with our 4 man. I can also take on 5 pugs by myself. When I run with my small scale group, I go to remote places and flag keeps. I do exactly what those ballgroups do, but on a smaller scale. I'll get enough attention, and my group starts farming players. I'm not forced to follow the same strat, I don't have dedicated purge bots. In fact, we don't even stick together like ballgroups because we are all 1vXers who are capable of surviving by ourselves. But as long as the game doesn't lag we'll have fun farming pugs.

What I'm saying is you don't have to fight those ball groups. Cyrodiil is so large you can get fights literally anywhere as long as the campaign isn't dead.
    Edited by MadeInVN on August 31, 2021 4:06AM
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MadeInVN wrote: »

I'm not sure I understand your point here. You're arguing that just because a solo player or a small group is good, they somehow should be able to stand a chance against larger groups?

When I 1vX or smallscale I fully expect myself to get overwhelmed and die even if the larger group I'm fighting is less experienced than me or my group. Numbers don't always win, but it's a massive advantage. All it takes is one person fossilizing you at the right time or one person in full damage hitting you with unblockable/undodgable damage and you die. There's nothing wrong with bigger groups killing smaller groups. What's wrong is sets that introduce imbalance to the game.

Not really because what you can use, ball groups can also use, and they do it better. Your 4 man group runs 3 convergence? Well that 12 man ball group over there runs 11 convergence and they will literally layer the entire ground where you stand with this proc and eliminate you from the start. Your group runs plaguebreak? They can too, and they have twice or 3 times the healing power that your 4 man group has. What are you going to do when 6 people spams plaguebreak at you and out-damage all your heals?

Introducing sets to counter a mechanic is never a good thing and usually ends up being counterproductive. We've learned this from previous patches when sets that applied major defile were supposed to counter players with high heals, but ended up hurting the ones with less heals the most.

Wait so what's wrong with running around a keep farming players? Whether you like it or not, they are PvPing and not breaking any rules. In fact, they are indirectly helping their faction by holding off players of your faction at one place so their faction doesn't have to worry about extra enemies to fight. Yea they aren't flagging the keep, but they're farming 20 ADs, and those 20 ADs will call for more ADs to come, and that gives the ballgroup's faction free keeps to capture.

My group isn't a ball group, but we're still farming players. Yea we can't farm 30 random pugs, but we can definitely take on 12 pugs with our 4 man. I can also take on 5 pugs by myself. When I run with my small scale group, I go to remote places and flag keeps. I do exactly what those ballgroups do, but on a smaller scale. I'll get enough attention, and my group starts farming players. I'm not forced to follow the same strat, I don't have dedicated purge bots. In fact, we don't even stick together like ballgroups because we are all 1vXers who are capable of surviving by ourselves. But as long as the game doesn't lag we'll have fun farming pugs.

What I'm saying is you don't have to fight those ball groups. Cyrodiil is so large you can get fights literally anywhere as long as the campaign isn't dead.

This is pretty much spot on. I especially want to emphasize that your point about Ball groups farming keeps. When I've run groups I've deliberately used this as a tactic to draw as many enemy players as possible away from vital objectives, so my allies can take it. Enemy ball groups can't resist the fight. If you pick a good enough spot enemy zerglings can't resist showing up. So by turtling up inside a keep as long as possible you can actually help your faction.

It's no different a tactic than small scale groups going and capping an enemy's back keeps to draw them away from scrolls or emp keeps.

In contrast I absolutely despise farming your faction's scroll unless the campaign's conclusion is foregone. Because that is actively hurting your faction to get yourself a good fight.

I've often thought it might be a good idea for ZOS to increase the importance of resources on the map. Giving small scale groups more stuff to do while the larger groups handle the larger objectives.
    Options
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am watching ballgroup streamers decimate people with these sets, so good job!

Meanwhile, my small scale group gets chased down by zerglings with 15 sets of Dark Convergence and gets desynced to h@ll. Absolutely no skill involved whatsoever.
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

Options
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sieging keeps is now real pain in bottom! Defenders just keep spamming Dark Conv to all breaches making nearly impossible to push in.

Other than than i see nothing super OP in this set. Old school bombers with Acuity + VD will kill you faster than you can say "Oh [snip]!".

[Edited for Censor Bypass]
    Edited by Psiion on September 6, 2021 12:25AM
    Options
  • Saepio
    Saepio
    ✭✭✭
    By all the qq coming from the usual ball group muppets these sets are awesome, don't change a thing!
    Options
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark convergence radius could be reduced a bit so that a roll dodge pulls you out. Needing 2 rolls is a bit unfair on mag classes who have less stamina.

Hrothgar means high resist people need to stay away from squishy glass cannons, so no hiding next to a tank anymore seems fair.

Plague is just a poison dot if it is not purged, plenty of those around.

Its the new meta, people will adapt, sieging will change, but it keeps things interesting. Personally I have already dumped these sets as I get a better KDR with me existing setup

Ball groups get an advantage by staying in range to get buffs, now they have to run a risk to get that reward, no big deal.
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So instead of the ballgroups being dramatically out of control, we have gear that's dramatically out of control. How is that OK? It's isn't. It's not even a step sideways. It's a step backwards. When the ballgroups run around on the third floor of Faregyl, I can leave the area and not have to deal with them. With these sets in the game, no matter where I go or who I fight, they are there and used.

It's ridiculous that in an effort to provide a "tool" to counter the ability to cleanse, a set gets introduced that can blow up for 35K+. What if I'm a Warden who wants to slot my major sorcery skill or a Templar who is in the mood to use the one aspect of their class that it supposed to give them identity? Boom! Well, don;t stack with pugs you say? OK, I'll just parkour my way inside chalman keep and find that one little sweetspot above the door where you can stand suspended in-between the two floors and just swing my swords in the air to defend the keep that's under attack by the DC faction stack. This doesn't get to the very real problems of these tools aren't even available on some campaigns and thus we're in a situation with multiple rule-sets going on which will make it that much harder to even attempt to balance things.

Whenever ZOS brings up something to counter the ball groups, it is so disruptive and destructive it winds up oppressing everyone, because it has to be so disruptive and destructive to impact a group of 12 good players who are in coordination. If the purge skill is so cost-efficient to necessitate a nuclear option, why not address the root cause instead of making it so anyone who ever uses anything that does cleanse goes boom? It makes no sense.
    Options
  • MadeInVN
    MadeInVN
    ✭✭✭✭
    . Balance in a game doesn't come from the fact that every style of gameplay is equal to all others. A solo player shouldn't be balanced against a group of people who coordinate their gear, abilities, and use comms for fights. Similarly, an uncoordinated zerg of light attacking potatoes has no inherent right to kill a coordinated group just because they outnumber them. If you want to kill a coordinated group, bring a coordinated group. Those *were* balanced against each other just fine.

Skill > sets. People that whine for more and more sets to help them but refuse to actually get good at the game or work with a group will lose every time.

Also balance should not came from some broken machanics, we all know ball groups have an easy life because they prey on those mechanic like purge spam and overstacking of heals.
    I would agree to remove these new sets if also those mechanics would be adjusted.

How is purge spam and overstacking of heals "broken mechanics"?

You have access to purge spam. All you need to do is make a dedicated purge bot build and voila, you can now use that "broken mechanic" to aid your faction. Same with healing.

Ball groups' biggest strength is division of labor. They have specific people doing specific roles. It's how they synergize and make sure everyone is on the same boat. It's not an easy job lol. I played in a ball group for a day as a guest and I got to know how they function, and you would be surprised at the amount of dedication they put into the game to make their group good. It's no different than a PvE group min maxing to attempt a Godslayer run.

Just to give you a little insight into how they function, here's what the group I ran with did:

1) Nobody talks except for the leader making calls and healers saying their X ability is up.

2) Had 3-4 healers each wearing specific sets and using specific abilities. Healers had to call out when X ability is up. When 1 healer was in trouble, the other healer had to cover that player while also doing their own part.

3) DPS is the least stressful role. All they had to do was wear X gear, pop X ability, and cleave.

4) Leader is by far the most stressful role. They have to read the fight and get their group to move as one. They make decisions on the fly and the group literally depends on their call. If their group dies it's on them. There were many fights where the leader of the group I was with made a bad call and had the entire group wiped, like pushing into the inner keep when oils weren't finished dumping, etc.

Edited by MadeInVN on August 31, 2021 2:18PM
    Options
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    . Balance in a game doesn't come from the fact that every style of gameplay is equal to all others. A solo player shouldn't be balanced against a group of people who coordinate their gear, abilities, and use comms for fights. Similarly, an uncoordinated zerg of light attacking potatoes has no inherent right to kill a coordinated group just because they outnumber them. If you want to kill a coordinated group, bring a coordinated group. Those *were* balanced against each other just fine.

Skill > sets. People that whine for more and more sets to help them but refuse to actually get good at the game or work with a group will lose every time.

Also balance should not came from some broken machanics, we all know ball groups have an easy life because they prey on those mechanic like purge spam and overstacking of heals.
    I would agree to remove these new sets if also those mechanics would be adjusted.

You have access to purge spam. All you need to do is make a dedicated purge bot build and voila, you can now use that "broken mechanic" to aid your faction. Same with healing.

Ball groups' biggest strength is division of labor. They have specific people doing specific roles. It's how they synergize and make sure everyone is on the same boat. It's not an easy job lol. I played in a ball group for a day as a guest and I got to know how they function, and you would be surprised at the amount of dedication they put into the game to make their group good. It's no different than a PvE group min maxing to attempt a Godslayer run.

Just to give you a little insight into how they function, here's what the group I ran with did:

1) Nobody talks except for the leader making calls and healers saying their X ability is up.

2) Had 3-4 healers each wearing specific sets and using specific abilities. Healers had to call out when X ability is up. When 1 healer was in trouble, the other healer had to cover that player while also doing their own part.

3) DPS is the least stressful role. All they had to do was wear X gear, pop X ability, and cleave.

4) Leader is by far the most stressful role. They have to read the fight and get their group to move as one. They make decisions on the fly and the group literally depends on their call. If their group dies it's on them. There were many fights where the leader of the group I was with made a bad call and had the entire group wiped, like pushing into the inner keep when oils weren't finished dumping, etc.

The fact that they spend months/years practicing, coordinate gear/skills/composition and have tight communications is inconsequential! I should be able to slap on a proc set and run into them on my noob character and have a better than average chance of killing them all! Also, all godslayer runs should have to be run naked, to make it fair for everyone!

/sarcasm off
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is really important to note as well. Mechanical skill is not the only type of skill in the game (as ball group opponents claim). Being able to make good builds is a skill. Designing builds that synergize is a skill. Leading is a skill. And it's all very hard work. In the same way that one practices mechanical skill by working on their rotation, resource management etc, ball group designers can go through several different comps until they find one they like (and fits their groups ability and playstyle), leaders must practice giving commands, learning tactics etc. We even host training sessions.

Claiming mechanical skill is the only skill that matters is like claiming a martial artist is superior to a rocket scientist because the martial artist can beat the scientist in a one-on-one fight. Well yeah, but the rocket scientist can design a missile that kills the martial artist before he gets close. Which one is more "skilled" is based on the type of skill you're looking at.

Now, of course this is a game so we can't let the scientist design nukes, otherwise it wouldn't be any fun. But completely dismissing the scientist's skill and not allowing him to play isn't much fun either.

What ZOS has done with these sets is essentially handed everyone a nuke and said "go have fun!"
    Options
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is really important to note as well. Mechanical skill is not the only type of skill in the game (as ball group opponents claim). Being able to make good builds is a skill. Designing builds that synergize is a skill. Leading is a skill. And it's all very hard work. In the same way that one practices mechanical skill by working on their rotation, resource management etc, ball group designers can go through several different comps until they find one they like (and fits their groups ability and playstyle), leaders must practice giving commands, learning tactics etc. We even host training sessions.

Claiming mechanical skill is the only skill that matters is like claiming a martial artist is superior to a rocket scientist because the martial artist can beat the scientist in a one-on-one fight. Well yeah, but the rocket scientist can design a missile that kills the martial artist before he gets close. Which one is more "skilled" is based on the type of skill you're looking at.

Now, of course this is a game so we can't let the scientist design nukes, otherwise it wouldn't be any fun. But completely dismissing the scientist's skill and not allowing him to play isn't much fun either.

What ZOS has done with these sets is essentially handed everyone a nuke and said "go have fun!"

It should be noted as well, that every patch changes everything, pretty much every time, and they have to start over redesigning it all again. I play in a coordinated group as well as solo, and our leaders work very hard and spend days experimenting & testing builds, rotations, etc... As a member, I feel if I don't run 10+ chars to tier 1 a month and open a ROTW daily, on top of doing crafting dailies with each of those chars... I will almost never have enough transmutes or crafting materials to keep up, so even as a DPS who simply needs to follow orders, I have to make a pretty huge commitment in time, effort, gold and materials to remain effective in said group for a couple days a week of play. This current patch cost me about a half million gold, 500+ transmutes and a bunch of really expensive mats out of the gate, just to see what works now.

Options
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Putting on a set that does mass damage in an aoe, gap closes, stuns and snares is not skill. Everything in terms of doing attacking combat is done FOR you. You don't even need to do a rotation. Its pathetic. A unskilled player who can't do anything in terms of a rotation can cast 1 ability and kill multiple people who are miles and miles ahead in terms of quality because of 1 set. Thats not skill. Equipping an item is not skill. Stop trying to justify these sets. They are a plague upon PvP. Mechanical changes are the ONLY way to balance PvP. But Zenimax are way to incompetent to do such as task clearly. Thats not me hating thats literally just factual. Just stating the obvious.
    Edited by AdamLAD on September 2, 2021 6:34AM
    Options
  • Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When someone can stand still in an oil shower, hit by several coldfire ballista and several players at same time and have his heal not go below 90% that means there is a broken mechanic in the game.
    The fact that everyone has access to it mean nothing.

Options
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a simpel solution play ESO PVP classic on Ravenwatch. :) No procsets, what counts is skill and teamwork.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
    Options
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LarsS wrote: »
    There is a simpel solution play ESO PVP classic on Ravenwatch. :) No procsets, what counts is skill and teamwork.

Ang ignore some class, because without proc you just can't play some class (that's how ESO is balanced XD)
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
    Options