The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Blood Mist Vampire Skill for Tanking?

Darkstorne
Darkstorne
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Just wondering if a magicka vampire tank focused on Blood Mist for damage mitigation rather than blocking would be viable? I'm interested in vet dungeons, but not trials, and I quite like playing around with non-meta builds and playstyles.
  • Blood Mist reduces damage taken by 75% while channeling.
  • Light of Cyrodiil 5-piece bonus: While you are casting or channeling an ability, your damage taken is reduced by 15%. When you are interrupted, your next Magicka Ability will cost no Magicka.
  • Mother Ciannait monster set: While in combat, casting an ability with a cast time or channeling an ability grants you a damage shield that absorbs 5000 damage for 6 seconds. If the damage shield is broken, you restore 822 Magicka. This effect can occur once every 6 seconds.
  • Altmer racial passive reduces damage taken by 5% while channeling.
  • Jewellery traits infused with reduced spell cost enchantment to make Blood Mist super cheap.
  • Final 5-piece set would need to be health-focused, and I'm leaning towards Brands of Imperium since it's a group set that also allows me to get good use out of the damage shield CP boost (with Mother Ciannait): When you take damage, you grant you and your group members within 8 meters a damage shield that absorbs 11260 damage for 6 seconds. This effect can occur once every 12 seconds.
  • Ults could either be Warhorn (because it's always Warhorn, isn't it..?), or Replenishing Barrier for more group damage shields and a little bit more magicka regen for me when they expire, or Temporal Guard for Minor Protection as another 5% damage reduction, but I'm not sure how valuable minor protection would be over the other ult options. Especially when I don't think I'd get much use out of the active time warp part of the ult.

So cheap Blood Mist, with lots of damage shields for me and the group (that can restore magicka if broken for more Blood Misting!), and masses of damage mitigation while in Blood Mist.

But please, if Blood Mist being used this way is an awful idea then let me know before I start trying to build this in-game :lol:
  • theCampeR_
    theCampeR_
    ✭✭✭
    except that you have 0 recoveries while in mist form and can't be healed. You will be in mist form for about 10 secs before running out of resources, having a little bit of HP left. As soon as you come out of the mist form due to having no magicka, you will die to next hit of whatever boss you are facing since you have no resources to block.
    Additionally some content requires you to block or dodge roll in order to avoid one hit mechanics. Mist form will not save you from these.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    theCampeR_ wrote: »
    except that you have 0 recoveries while in mist form and can't be healed. You will be in mist form for about 10 secs before running out of resources, having a little bit of HP left. As soon as you come out of the mist form due to having no magicka, you will die to next hit of whatever boss you are facing since you have no resources to block.
    Additionally some content requires you to block or dodge roll in order to avoid one hit mechanics. Mist form will not save you from these.
    Yeah this is partly what I was wondering about. But with UESP's build editor I can get 42k health and 32k magicka quite reliably, with Mist Form costing only 285 magicka per second. So even if I'm at half magicka when I start channeling, that's almost a solid 60 seconds of Mist Form!

I would need to drop out every now and again to dodge (and can hopefully use that opportunity to throw in a heavy attack or two before jumping back into Mist Form, and drink a potion if I need a bigger magicka boost), but I'm wondering if I can legit use Mist Form instead of blocking to just... soak up the big hits? Doing so would no doubt knock me out of Mist Form, but that would trigger a free magicka cast thanks to Light of Cyrodiil's set piece bonus, and if Mother Ciannait is up then it also restores magicka.

So I think the upkeep isn't really the issue I'd be facing here, but whether all that damage mitigation from Mist Form, the set piece bonuses, the racial passive, and maybe the Psijic ult's passive would be enough to nullify one-hit mechanics the same way blocking does? Or if it might even be more effective? All those percentages add up to a lot, but I know ESO can be weird at times where things look good on paper but just don't work out that way in practice.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, I use it even as a DPS to replace block and have relatively been fine when we've 4DD'ed some of the vet DLC dungeons and I was face tanking some of those bosses just fine. It's doable, but I'm not sure in terms of efficiency which would be better as an actual tank if that's what you mean as viable.

I will say things that give a flat value of magicka is always good. I don't have access to Ciannait, so my choice was Hollowfang. The main problem I see is how fast your damage shield might go down in order for that to get procced, but it being at 822 every six seconds or near it, you should be able to extend things out a bit.

In regards of one-hit mechanics, it's hit and miss with what actually goes through mist form and what doesn't. Some things are glitched, which means consistency isn't to be expected.

After that, taking into account of class passives, might help things extend further.

Other than that, I can say that Blood Mist is fun in PvE. Sure, you don't get healed, but generally speaking I'm the one that's usually keeping myself healed anyways in a lot of those scenarios I've used it so it didn't matter anyway. But then again — this is a group I've been running with for a little over four years now.
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    So far, I think it is viable. Mine can solo any world boss and seems like he can tank vet dlcs like Frostvault. I say 'seems like' because my lame friends can't get their act together so I have not yet gone in very far (first boss on dlc dungeons, final boss on non-dlc dungeons). His dps is low so it's a slow go when solo. I won't go into the details of the equipment I use or the class, lest it be copied too much and ultimately get nerfed (I know, dream big). But the bottom line, it looks real promising from my experience.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not strictly on topic, but there is another option in the new patch. Psijic channels now bring 30% dmg reduction, you DO self-heal all resources during meditation, quite a lot in fact, but it can be interrupted... but it only takes a few seconds. So take the 10% major protection from having flare on the bar, 5 minor protection from psijic ult, 5% from elf racial passive, and whatever other sources and you are getting reasonably close to mist numbers while regenning ALL resources. Add Companion and channel within its 20/40% dmg reduction rune with the easy to see white aura, run almalexia set and winter's respite, bogdan and sit in your templar rune in light armor that allows decent dps, taunt with inner beast, maybe add in Gaze of Sithis?... LOL.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is very viable as it does one thing blocking does not, it actually has damage mitigation against ground DoTs. Only way I surpassed Mistform's damage mitigation was on a Dragonknight with Sword and Shield and with the Bracing Anchor CP passive. Gave me 80% blocking mitigation which is 5% over Mistform, but doesn't have the damage over time mitigation with it.

Also Blood Mist is slow but as a tank that isn't a big deal, especially since Blood Mist heals you for the damage it does. Just make sure you have the Magicka to fuel it as it's more expensive to maintain than Elusive Mist.
    Edited by Vevvev on August 31, 2021 3:43PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    Not strictly on topic, but there is another option in the new patch. Psijic channels now bring 30% dmg reduction, you DO self-heal all resources during meditation, quite a lot in fact, but it can be interrupted... but it only takes a few seconds. So take the 10% major protection from having flare on the bar, 5 minor protection from psijic ult, 5% from elf racial passive, and whatever other sources and you are getting reasonably close to mist numbers while regenning ALL resources. Add Companion and channel within its 20/40% dmg reduction rune with the easy to see white aura, run almalexia set and winter's respite, bogdan and sit in your templar rune in light armor that allows decent dps, taunt with inner beast, maybe add in Gaze of Sithis?... LOL.
    Oh, DAMN. Yeah, great ideas! Just hard finding enough bar space for all these options :lol:

So I want to be trying this build as a Nightblade tank, just because I've always wanted a NB tank and the class pairs nicely with vampire for overland fun. I've got my front bar set up for boss encounters, and back bar for trash encounters. And I think I can axe my trash bar DPS skill for Deep Thoughts (the Psijic resource restore) and swap to this bar in boss fights when I need that regen emergency button. Because yeah, 30% damage reduction, plus 15% from my 5 piece set, plus 5% from being an Altmer, plus the Ciannait damage shield, that's pretty nice! And gets me back to a decent magicka pool pretty quickly. If I then use the Psijic ult on my boss bar I get that minor protection for the boss fights, and can benefit from the free Psijic damage shield if I do need to block something every now and then.

Don't think I can quite justify slotting flare since it would need to fit on my boss bar, but it would have been nice to get that 10% major protection. I need debilitate for the magicksteal (would make Blood Mist essentially cost a tiny 117/sec if I can stay in range), but also because of the NB passive that boosts magicka by 8% by having it slotted. I need a shadow ability to keep casting every 16 seconds for the major resolve passive (going for the shade summon since it inflicts minor maim reducing boss damage). I need a taunt on this bar, I need blood mist for the build, and that only leaves one more slot which at the moment is Lotus Fan, partly for the gap closer but also because it causes the boss to take 5% more damage from the whole party. I think Lotus Fan probably ends up winning out over Flare.

Gaze of Sithis - I got really excited about this mythic when thinking about the build :smiley: I don't plan on blocking much if I can get away with it, so that's great, but the health recovery portion of this mythic is useless to me as a vampire trying to stay in Blood Mist, even if I'm only at stage 1. So it's all about the health and armour, which would both be nice, but I'd be losing Mother Ciannait in the process, which is a damage shield with potential magicka regen that I'd be triggering a hell of a lot. And ultimately that shield probably ends up being more useful than the mythic's health and armour.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL.

So, yes, you can use Blood Mist for tanking.

And right now, if you are doing Rockgrove Hard Mode, the use of Blood Mist is required in order to survive the hilarously unbalanced levels of incoming damage on Bahsei HM.

That having been said, ZOS doesn't like that tanks are using Blood Mist. One dev had characterized its use as "abusing Mist Form", and another dev said that this is something that will be addressed in the future. So, while you can use Blood Mist now, but just be aware that it may not remain viable for that much longer.

Also, you can't use Blood Mist in The Dread Cellar (new dungeon) because the Scorions in that dungeon are programmed to shed taunt if the tank uses mist.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    LOL.

And right now, if you are doing Rockgrove Hard Mode, the use of Blood Mist is required in order to survive the hilarously unbalanced levels of incoming damage on Bahsei HM.

That having been said, ZOS doesn't like that tanks are using Blood Mist. One dev had characterized its use as "abusing Mist Form", and another dev said that this is something that will be addressed in the future. So, while you can use Blood Mist now, but just be aware that it may not remain viable for that much longer.

Also, you can't use Blood Mist in The Dread Cellar (new dungeon) because the Scorions in that dungeon are programmed to shed taunt if the tank uses mist.

Arrghh, why is there always a no fun allowed policy at ZOS? Play your way! Unless it's not the one way we expect you to play!

Hopefully the nerf hammer doesn't come down too hard, because it sounds like a fun way to tank :smile:
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    LOL.

That's pretty pathetic if so. It's things like this that will cause me to pass on any future projects they are associated with.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    LOL.

Arrghh, why is there always a no fun allowed policy at ZOS? Play your way! Unless it's not the one way we expect you to play!

Hopefully the nerf hammer doesn't come down too hard, because it sounds like a fun way to tank :smile:

No, it's a pretty miserable way to tank. Most tanks have zero desire to use this clunky, cheesy skill, but we're forced to by the poor balancing in Rockgrove. I and many others say good riddance and look forward to the day when this finicky, buggy skill is no longer a requirement for the latest trial HM.

ZOS is completely right to clamp down on mist-tanking, and their biggest mistake is that they ignored the overwhelming feedback about this during the Update 30 PTS--this was something that should've been nipped in the bud months ago, but here we are.
    Edited by code65536 on August 31, 2021 6:48PM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's a pretty miserable way to tank. Most tanks have zero desire to use this clunky, cheesy skill, but we're forced to by the poor balancing in Rockgrove. I and many others say good riddance and look forward to the day when this finicky, buggy skill is no longer a requirement for the latest trial HM..

Sounds like a problem with Rockgrove, not with mist form.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vms11934 wrote: »
    No, it's a pretty miserable way to tank. Most tanks have zero desire to use this clunky, cheesy skill, but we're forced to by the poor balancing in Rockgrove. I and many others say good riddance and look forward to the day when this finicky, buggy skill is no longer a requirement for the latest trial HM..

It's a problem with both. The main issue is Rockgrove, and it exposed how broken Mist Form is.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭

It's a problem with both. The main issue is Rockgrove, and it exposed how broken Mist Form is.

How is Mist Form broken?
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Broken how? Just because it's a viable alternative to blocking for damage mitigation? Isn't that the main point of the skill, to be used as damage mitigation with heavy caveats (no resource regen, no healing from any other sources, constant magicka drain)? If you nerf it to make it no longer viable for damage mitigation then... what is the point of the skill now?
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Broken how? Just because it's a viable alternative to blocking for damage mitigation? Isn't that the main point of the skill, to be used as damage mitigation with heavy caveats (no resource regen, no healing from any other sources, constant magicka drain)? If you nerf it to make it no longer viable for damage mitigation then... what is the point of the skill now?

My guess is an alternative to DD's shield? If they nerf it though, there's pretty much only Swarming Scion left and most in the vampiric community still hate it.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sephyr wrote: »

My guess is an alternative to DD's shield? If they nerf it though, there's pretty much only Swarming Scion left and most in the vampiric community still hate it.

Love what it does, but hate how it works and looks. Swarming Scion in a nutshell.

But yeah, if they cut Mistform that seriously cuts the vampire skill line down to just be passives, an ultimate, and some niche things for only particular builds. I did use Drain last night in vDSA and it worked okay for the most part, but when things got out of hand I was forced into Bloodmist to stay alive on the vampire level because the insane amount of CC meant Drain was on cooldown for most of the time. Not fun in the slightest.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK