Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tutorial Portal - Game Lore breaking Loop - Main story/Alliance story spoilers inside

Serenez
Serenez
✭✭✭
@ZOS_Kevin Please ensure this gets to the right place to address as for some reason it was overlooked on the original post pre-tutorial launch. It is pretty lore breaking for the new player and will lead to confusion.

I made a new thread specifically on this topic as the old one is too old and most likely will be closed. I will however provide a link to the previous thread for information purposes. In this thread I had a suspicion that a lore breaking loop might occur when visiting the starter zone alliance portals in the new tutorial. I have since tested this out on the live server and can absolutely validate that if a new player were to go through the starter portals in it's given state, they will end up in total confusion. I will copy my original post on the pre-tutorial launch thread and will follow up with my most recent experience.

My question from the original pre new tutorial launch
Now my question is this .. what happens when you go through the starter island portal for lets say Bleakrock Isles and you complete that, head to Bal Foyen and then off to Davon's Watch where you are greeted with the 'hooded figure' quest. Would you then complete freeing the prophet then get dumped out at the exact same spot in the starter island to start the Bleakrock quest that you really just completed as you went through the 'new portal' from the tutorial. This is one gigantic loop unless this has already been figured out and it has been accounted for. I mean being dumped in the same spot twice to start a quest that you just completed is redundant, so I am hoping this is corrected or this issue has been thought of (I have not played through the entire loop of this journey on the PTS. so if someone that has can confirm what actually happens that would be great !)

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7222696#Comment_7222696

Update:
On live server I went through the Stros M'Kai portal - went through the zone story line - Ended up at Beknik - did the storyline there. One of the side quests in Betknik alluded to me 'losing my soul' which had not happened yet. This is very confusing to a new player. This quest presumes that they have done the quest Soul Shriven in Coldharbour,. In this current format this does not occur in this order. Once finished in Betnik it takes me to Glenumbra where you are faced with the hooded figure. This then starts Soul Shriven in Coldharbour. You then go through this quest and at the very end of this you take the portal the Prophet gives you and you end up in Stros M'Kai. Yep back where you started. The new player is going to wonder what the heck is going on. Why are they back here all over again. This is one continuous loop.

Resolution:
Since the Main Story and the Alliance Zone story are very closely tied together, I propose the following:

1. Change these starter portal to be labelled to the Alliances - DC, EP and AD (full names to be added with associated colours and images) and the end destination to speaking with the Hooded Figure in Glenumbra, Auridon and Stonefalls respectively. This will then jump start the Main Questline which in turn will at the end of Soul Shriven in Coldharbour - teleport the new player to their associated Alliance starter zone automatically. This will repair any lore breaking dialogue in each of the associated zones where discussions take place on 'losing your soul'. However note that if a player chooses a different portal other then the starter portal, for instance a Chapter storyline, that a player may still end up being confused with references to losing their soul if they have not yet started the main questline. This resolution does however fix it for those that jump through the updated portals for the starter alliance locations.

2. Update the dialogue with the NPC Tutorial quest giver to align with the changes to the Starter Portals. Remind the new player what alliance they are as many will not remember or know.
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to add that when you are dumped out on the boat in Stros M'Kai for the second time .. there is no quest markers, no direction given to the new player. In this scenario they have already completed this and ended up in Glenumbra only to be back in the same original starting location without any reason why or what to do.

As an experienced player, I of course would run to the wayshrine and port out back to Glenumbra to resume storyline. If a new player uses the boat steering wheel they will end up in Betnik yet again. They would be required to instinctively know to return to Glenumbra via the wayshrine, to continue Alliance storyline. I try to look at this through the lens of a new player starting this game for the first time and they are going to be lost and confused.

Veterans can choose not to speak to the hooded figure in my proposed resolution if they have no desire to start the main quest line on an alt. They also have the choice to 'skip' the tutorial, plus they also have the knowledge on how to travel to zones and start storylines for the most part. The first priority of a tutorial is to the new player and then only secondly to the veteran player for alt/lore purposes.

I ask if someone at ZOS could play through this scenario in it's given state by choosing the starter location, go through the questline and then when they get to either Glenumbra/Stonefalls/Auridon speak to the hooded figure and play through that. You may need to experience this entire loop to see how urgent this is for the new player experience.

Edit: I can't even use the boat to travel to Betnik and Captain Kaleen won't speak to me when I click talk. I destroyed the relic in a side quest so not sure if this is why as I made her angry, or if this is bugged. It has the interaction for 'talk' but nothing happens. I don't typically go through DC storyline as much as I do EP so I am not as familiar. So the new player would either need to run to the wayshrine (if they remember how), or use the Boatswains, if they even have been taught what these are. Plus opening up the journal it says No quests. That is a first that I have seen in all the times I have made alts over the years. This test is on an alt account I have and it is the only character on this account so this is a first time run through test. This basically mimics what a brand new player would see. Empty journal with no prompts or directions anywhere.
    Edited by Serenez on August 21, 2021 9:59AM
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    in1smg9zuet0.png
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot story continuity issues, this one isnt as bad as killing Lyris in the msq and having her turn up in Solitude like nothing happened. or Sai in Elswyre.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are a lot story continuity issues, this one isnt as bad as killing Lyris in the msq and having her turn up in Solitude like nothing happened. or Sai in Elswyre.

That's a continuity error for a portion of players who have done a lot of the game already.

While potentially confusing, it's obvious the game developers intentionally put those characters there -- they have recorded dialog, the whole story revolves around them.

This weird time loop is not only confusing to new players, it makes the game look sloppy and the developers careless.
    PC NA
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭

Yes there are some issues with lore in the game, although I am not much of a lore person. This thread specifically is about the repetitive quest loop leaving the player stranded without any guidance on why they got dumped there twice and how to proceed in their journey as a new player.
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You get to talk about that with Sai when you meet him again if you picked him in the main quest.
    I assume it's the same with Lyris.
    PS | EU
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »

That's a continuity error for a portion of players who have done a lot of the game already.

While potentially confusing, it's obvious the game developers intentionally put those characters there -- they have recorded dialog, the whole story revolves around them.

This weird time loop is not only confusing to new players, it makes the game look sloppy and the developers careless.

Goundhog day in Eso :) lol
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    Since the patch dropped yesterday has anyone made a new character with the updated changes to the Tutorial Starter Portals with the new introductory cinematic? I have not had a chance to check this out on the most recent PTS or the Live server since the Aug 23 patch dropped. My testing was done on the PTS initially back in April and then again when I made a new character a week or so ago on the live server.

I am hoping with all the hard work that went into these new changes to the cinematic that the quest loop was also addressed. With the sales on the base game and most recent marketing to draw players to the game, it is a most crucial time for that first impression to the new player. I just want to ensure this doesn't get buried in the myriad of issues and overlooked. When I get a chance I will try to play through this again on the live server.

To recap the issue, if you have created a new character and played through the Alliance questline/Main questline via the Tutorial since Aug 23/21 patch update can you please confirm if the following quest time loop still occurs.
    1. Enter starter portal - arrive at starter island example EP (Bleakrock) and complete zone quest
    2. Arrive at 2nd zone example (Bal Foyen) and complete quest
    3. Arrive at 3rd location where Harborage is located in each of the Alliances respectively example (Stonefalls) - greeted with Hooded Figure and start Soul Shriven in Coldharbour quest and complete by rescuing the Prophet
    4. Arrive back at original starting location for your starter zone example (Bleakrock) without quest markers/direction explaining why you are there or how to continue the Alliance storyline.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Serenez wrote: »
    Since the patch dropped yesterday has anyone made a new character with the updated changes to the Tutorial Starter Portals with the new introductory cinematic? I have not had a chance to check this out on the most recent PTS or the Live server since the Aug 23 patch dropped. My testing was done on the PTS initially back in April and then again when I made a new character a week or so ago on the live server.

I am hoping with all the hard work that went into these new changes to the cinematic that the quest loop was also addressed. With the sales on the base game and most recent marketing to draw players to the game, it is a most crucial time for that first impression to the new player. I just want to ensure this doesn't get buried in the myriad of issues and overlooked. When I get a chance I will try to play through this again on the live server.

To recap the issue, if you have created a new character and played through the Alliance questline/Main questline via the Tutorial since Aug 23/21 patch update can you please confirm if the following quest time loop still occurs.
    1. Enter starter portal - arrive at starter island example EP (Bleakrock) and complete zone quest
    3. Arrive at 3rd location where Harborage is located in each of the Alliances respectively example (Stonefalls) - greeted with Hooded Figure and start Soul Shriven in Coldharbour quest and complete by rescuing the Prophet
    4. Arrive back at original starting location for your starter zone example (Bleakrock) without quest markers/direction explaining why you are there or how to continue the Alliance storyline.

Nope, it's still the same.

Portal takes you to the starter island, and from there you have to go to the 1st zone to meet the Hooded Figure, and then you get sent right back to the starter island. All three also give you the 'planemeld' intro video regardless of which portal you take.

Also you still have zone plot points (notably Betnikh) continually referencing you having no soul despite not losing it yet.

Easiest way to fix this would be to redirect the Balfiera portals to Davon's Watch/Daggerfall/Vulkhel Guard instead of Bleakrock/Stros/Khenarthi. That way you'd meet the Hooded Figure right away and then go through the starter zones as intended. But they would need to rerecord Norianwe's dialogue for that...
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    Serenez wrote: »

Nope, it's still the same.

Portal takes you to the starter island, and from there you have to go to the 1st zone to meet the Hooded Figure, and then you get sent right back to the starter island. All three also give you the 'planemeld' intro video regardless of which portal you take.

Also you still have zone plot points (notably Betnikh) continually referencing you having no soul despite not losing it yet.

Easiest way to fix this would be to redirect the Balfiera portals to Davon's Watch/Daggerfall/Vulkhel Guard instead of Bleakrock/Stros/Khenarthi. That way you'd meet the Hooded Figure right away and then go through the starter zones as intended. But they would need to rerecord Norianwe's dialogue for that...

Yes this was in my original post above to my suggested resolution as well. Thank you for clarifying. I will try to go through the updated portals myself as well, since the patch to see exactly what has changed with regards to the cinematic etc. and try to speed run a character through the quests.
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    I have now run through a new DC character on the live server since the patch update 31 on Aug 23. This character is on an account that is base game only with no Eso Plus, no Champion Points, and played with only the items collected questing. This would simulate the same experience a brand new player that just bought base game would have playing, trying to decide whether or not to subscribe to ESO Plus and or purchase more Chapters etc. No mount until lvl 10 level up rewards.

One quick note before discussing the portal. I tend to loot urns etc. as I play and at the very end of the Tutorial I did notice the NPC ran ahead quite a bit into portal area while I was still looting the urns by the doorway at the stairs. She was talking but it was very faint. Is it possible if a new player is looting that she is programmed to stay by your side so a player can hear the dialogue more clearly?

Portal findings: (I did enjoy the new cinematic and would blend in nicely if the portals directed you to the Hooded Figure as discussed above in previous posts, to continue this momentum as it naturally would lead back to start the Alliance storyline regardless)
    1. I took the portal to Stros M'Kai and did all the quests on the island then proceeded to Betnik via Captain Kaleen on the boat.
    2. I arrived in Betnik and did all the quests on the Island. The quest that references losing your soul that has not yet happened yet is Carzog's Demise. In this quest I chose to destroy this relic.
    3. I angered the DC NPCs, however got the Orcs to join DC so Captain Kaleen was ordered to take me to Glenumbra regardless.
    4. On arrival in Glenumbra I had a quest prompt to speak with Sir Lanis Shaldon about the Orcs joining DC. As I approached this NPC my quest journal populated with Soul Shriven in Coldharbour Quest. The DC NPC and the Hooded Figure were extremely close together.
    5. I turned in the quest to Sir Lanis Shaldon and he only told me to enjoy my time in Daggerfall with no direction to the next quest in the DC storyline.
    6. I then talked to the Hooded Figure and completed the Soul Shriven in Coldharbour quest.
    7. On freeing the Prophet I was then taken back to Stros M'Kai on the very same boat I left Stros M'Kai on during step 2.
    8. Once again I arrive with an empty journal with no quest markers/no direction on what to do to continue this storyline. I am well aware what to do . take wayshrine to Glenumbra, open zone guide and continue storyline. Will a new player instinctively know that? LIkely not.
    9. Since the latest patch, Captain Kaleen's prompt to talk to her is removed (it was bugged on my earlier pre Aug 23 patch update) and you can only interact with some of the other crewmates. She isn't too happy with me so this suits me just fine lol :)

The following is cropped to remove zone chat. These two are pretty close. Is there something we should know about these two ? lol :)
    ja7iljcoyedf.png

On arrival back the second time to Stros M'Kai after completing Soul Shriven in Coldharbour.
    a3tqamzpg60u.png

This really is not good for a new player's experience as the storyline comes to a complete halt in this scenario. Veterans can figure it out, but this will be very confusing to someone new to ESO. I hope this does get looked at and corrected soon.

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few solutions I can think of here, depending on what makes the most sense overall:
    1. Change the portal destination to be Glenumbra/Stonefalls/Auridon rather than Stros/Bleakrock/Khenarthi's (as you say). This would put you right in-line with the Hooded Figure and would probably most closely match the intention of the portals which doesn't need to put any emphasis on the starter island specifically, but would require the existing portals to be revoiced.
    2. Change the landing destination after you escape Coldharbour to be Glenumbra/Stonefalls/Auridon rather than Stros/Bleakrock/Khenarthi's (as was the case between launch and Update 10). This makes the most sense in aligning with the individual Alliance storylines, and is probably easiest to implement. but doesn't fix the continuity issues of any quests on those islands that reference a missing soul.
    3. Remove the three individual Alliance storyline portals completely, and replace them with a single Base Game / Main Quest / Planemeld portal which skips the Hooded Figure completely and goes straight to the Wailing Prison cutscene. This makes the most sense with there only being a single portal video for all Base Game content, as that has a heavy weight on Main Quest content.
      • (This option could work as an additional portal as well, but in that case the Alliance portals would still need fixing per solution 1.)
    Edited by Enodoc on August 25, 2021 10:04PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    There are a few solutions I can think of here, depending on what makes the most sense overall:
    1. Change the portal destination to be Glenumbra/Stonefalls/Auridon rather than Stros/Bleakrock/Khenarthi's (as you say). This would put you right in-line with the Hooded Figure and would probably most closely match the intention of the portals which doesn't need to put any emphasis on the starter island specifically, but would require the existing portals to be revoiced.
    2. Change the landing destination after you escape Coldharbour to be Glenumbra/Stonefalls/Auridon rather than Stros/Bleakrock/Khenarthi's (as was the case between launch and Update 10). This makes the most sense in aligning with the individual Alliance storylines, and is probably easiest to implement. but doesn't fix the continuity issues of any quests on those islands that reference a missing soul.
    3. Remove the three individual Alliance storyline portals completely, and replace them with a single Base Game / Main Quest / Planemeld portal which skips the Hooded Figure completely and goes straight to the Wailing Prison cutscene. This makes the most sense with there only being a single portal video for all Base Game content, as that has a heavy weight on Main Quest content.
      • (This option could work as an additional portal as well, but in that case the Alliance portals would still need fixing per solution 1.)

I completely agree with skipping the three alliance starter zones and have a main base game portal as this would automatically lead into the alliance quest line, Then the player would have opportunity to complete the remaining alliance storylines through Cadwell's Silver and Cadwell's Gold respectively.

This is my quote from my April 21 post:
    I am confused why the starter islands are there for the new player to choose from as to be honest the majority of new players (brand new) really don't remember what their Alliance is so for them to 'choose' the one specific to them would be a hit and a miss. If these portals remain I would have the quest giver remind the player which Alliance they are and 'which portal' is specific to them.

Some Veteran players had requested previously they wanted to 'choose' where to start their journey when creating new characters. The Devs have complied with that wish and created portals for the other Chapters and they can decide where to begin.

In it's current state the Alliances should not be split up into separate options as choices for the new player, as it can cause much confusion if lets say a DC player decides to start the AD storyline for instance. They may not even understand/remember what Alliance they are when they created their first character and by leading them down a path of a storyline that makes no sense whatsoever to their own Alliance. Besides the Harborage is locked in the opposite Alliances to you, so this will set them on a path of mass confusion when the Hooded Figure eventually would show up. When faced with creating a balance between appeasing the Veterans and creating a clear concise learning journey for the new player, in my opinion the new player's journey should always take priority. This is a Tutorial - which is for teaching new players how to play a game. In no other game, have I known a Tutorial to be replayed over and over for lore purposes. Veterans are given Chapter portals for their new alts, they have a choice to 'skip' the tutorial altogether, they also have knowledge and experience that they can find their way to the other starter zones and start the journey from the map zone guide if they are not doing Cadwell's Silver or Cadwell's Gold.

Removing any thought of Veteran players and strictly from a first impression stand point of a new player, having them go through the portal directly to the Wailing Prison is by far the most immersive and best first impression you could give, combined with being the most logical from a storyline perspective. When you add the new cinematic and lead them to the Wailing Prison it will really be a 'wow' moment for them.

I am not sure if we are wasting our time troubleshooting something that is may not even be addressed. It has been since April these issues were presented, but I am not clear the full ramifications are being realized. In case it isn't clear I will point them out:

1. This is the first impression of a brand new player either signing up for a free ESO play trial, buying the base game and hopefully full Chapters or ESO Plus from a business perspective.
    2. If this is just a free trial and or a base game purchase this is a pivotal marketing point where the player decides if they like the game, if they are going to spend their valuable time and money investing in it.
    3. In it's current state there is a 50/50 chance with a base game purchase, a new player will end up in one of these broken starter portal sequences. The story just comes to a complete halt in this scenario and gives the impression that was all there was to the entire Alliance storyline. I got 'enjoy your stay in Daggerfall' from the Glenumbra NPC and then going through this sequence as it stands after talking to the hooded figure, completing this quest, the player is just stranded on a boat with hopes they will have the initiative to make their way to the wayshrine or ask for help in zone chat.
    4.The saving grace would be if they walked through the Morrowind portal as that is an option to them. All other portals are chained up.
    5. From a marketing sales perspective this is absolutely catastrophic and every day this goes unacknowledged as an issue, profits vanish into the abyss while new players are confused, possibly just leave the game on to something else.

Some people see this as just a quest/lore mishap, I see this as a total domino avalanche that affects the enjoyment of the new player, in addition to millions in lost sales revenue opportunity. I really would hate to see this issue be buried in the myriad of other concerns. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Kevin
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They really need to fix this. But they won’t. One Tamriel (when these problems started) was released 5 years ago.
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    If it is the intention to 'retain' new players and incentivize them to buy further Chapters or Eso plus then it must be fixed as soon as possible. Looking at this simply from a marketing stand point, it is a total loss of resources and revenue when focused on attracting new players. I see this from the perspective not only as a gamer, but also as a sales perspective as that is my background. I see things through multiple lenses for the most efficient and effective outcome. This entire issue is making my sales heart cry out, in addition to being empathetic to giving the new player the best first impression of the game.

It upsets me only because I do love this game and want it to succeed. I am critical of the game in many of my posts, but only because I want to see it be the best it can be. Not from a negative perspective. My frustrations and concern only come from a place because I care and am passionate about things I care about.
  • Trixterion
    Trixterion
    ✭✭
    Let me share my wisdom: what if we were dropped at Adamantine Tower right after we have completed the whole thing revolving around us becoming the Vestige?
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can claim Dragonbreak, then all the continuity issues wouldn't matter. Problem solved.
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most veteran players who argued for a choice were really thinking about the lore experience for new players. We wanted a more cohesive experience for new players - to provide the option to experience the main story first, which seems more logical to veteran players.

And, frankly, what I expected them to do was to have the chapter portals and then a main story portal, which would take you directly to the Wailing Prison. I think it was a bad decision on their part to have portals to the three alliances which dumps them in the starter zone, and ultimately creates the issue you've described.

Most veterans didn't advocate the starter choice for their own benefit/freedom, but rather to give the option to new players to start from the beginning. They could do that before, but they had to know that they should immediately go to their alliance's first main zone and encounter the hooded figure. But they wouldn't know to do that. So, we thought it would be great to offer them the choice to start the main story, which to us meant going to the Wailing Prison, not the starter islands.
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    I am completely disheartened that this was not included in the PTS patch notes and 'appears' to be completely forgotten and overlooked. This may not be the reality, however on the receiving end of zero acknowledgment that this issue will be addressed soon, and the absence of any mention in the pts patch notes leaves me to wonder if this will just get buried once again in the PTS posts once the server goes live.

As a reminder this was addressed in the Blackwood Chapter PTS forum long before it went live. To sum up the issue with these portals in this scenario, the new player not only will have out of order lore, but the most serious and utterly game breaking is that they are left stranded for a second time on the starter island with no quest markers, an empty journal and no clue as to how to leave the island, unless they have friends or zone chat to advise them. Eventually they may discover the wayshrine, however what a bad impression to a new player that you are hoping will upgrade and buy ESO plus.

The test character I used is really just a placeholder for a storage guild but I did log on a few times in the same location seeing players of the same level as me, wandering about the ship appearing lost and confused. I mean the zone is complete in this scenario so absolutely no quest markers appear or direction as to what to do.

I do understand that everything has it's priority as to when it gets addressed and fixed. I also understand not every issue posted on the forums gets a response. This however has gone through an entire Chapter release with this problem and would absolutely hate if it falls under the radar for the new player experience. I would at least feel reassured if I knew it even had a place in the 'to do list'. Once again I am persistent on this issue only because I care. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Kevin