The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO PVP vs other games

• spekdah
    spekdah
    ✭✭✭
    Search up New World PvP on you Tube, for a gazzilion videos of combat, or 50vs 50 fort wars with siege.
    No tab targeting, action combat, dodge, block, each weapon has 6 unique skills ( with unique animations) of which you can choose 3.
    Found performance better than Cyrodil.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    gamma71 wrote: »
    Daoc and eso probably the most similar since devs like matt frior from daoc came over from daoc to develop eso. In daoc you had darkness falls Wich you gained access by controlling a number of keeps here we have imperial city instead. This going back a long ways but it was fun getting access to DF and cleaning out all the enemies players out of it.

I didn't know someone from the DAoC team works on ESO. That makes me happy.
    PC NA
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our entire community has decamped for 10 days to try New World.
    The conclusion is that ESO pvp would be the best of any MMO -if it worked.
    And that's the catch 22.

It has resulted in some pretty funny conversations in NW zone that kinda go:
    "Who came from ESO"?
    "I did" x10
    "Is it lagging now there's less people?"
    "Maybe a little bit"
    "..."

ESO pvprs want ESO pvp. NW pvp is like the flavor icecream that's left when yours is gone.
    Do you buy it?
    Well, how bad is the ESO lag?
    "..."
    Edited by merevie on July 27, 2021 11:20AM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spekdah wrote: »

That's a low bar.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search up New World PvP on you Tube, for a gazzilion videos of combat, or 50vs 50 fort wars with siege.
    No tab targeting, action combat, dodge, block, each weapon has 6 unique skills ( with unique animations) of which you can choose 3.

50 vs 50 is still an arena - style game with fixed scenarios. That's why this game's no ESO killer. Without the sandbox element, without the chaos, those games tend to become stale and boring within weeks.
    Edited by Thraben on July 27, 2021 12:00PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have been playing new world I am currently enjoying it a lot more than ESO. As most people said though mainly because of performance and partly because it's... New😂. I am becoming a refuge for the foreseeable future 👍😁

Outside of PvP I like that the world feels dangerous and general existence in the world is a battle. In ESO I can lag my ass off trying to play the content I enjoy or go play the content ESO actually makes well and one shot every threat or pull an entire dungeon to grind xp....

I hope they fix the game, but I plan to get the most out of new world in the meantime.
  • spekdah
    spekdah
    ✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

That's a low bar.

Yeah, a beta product with optimisation yet to come with better performance than a retail product that's been out for 6 years and even had the "year of performance".
  • spekdah
    spekdah
    ✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »

50 vs 50 is still an arena - style game with fixed scenarios. That's why this game's no ESO killer. Without the sandbox element, without the chaos, those games tend to become stale and boring within weeks.

You can flag for open pvp and roam with friends or your whole company for bigger numbers anywhere on the map.

You could argue cyrodil is one fixed scenario that has not changed since release.... except lancers.

Having fun playing something fresh. I was trying to find that video of that group of 7? Orso players that went prone and hid behind some bushes and ambushed the 50+ players heading down the road and wiped them but can't find it 🙁
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    merevie wrote: »
    Our entire community has decamped for 10 days to try New World.
    The conclusion is that ESO pvp would be the best of any MMO -if it worked.
    And that's the catch 22.

It has resulted in some pretty funny conversations in NW zone that kinda go:
    "Who came from ESO"?
    "I did" x10
    "Is it lagging now there's less people?"
    "Maybe a little bit"
    "..."

ESO pvprs want ESO pvp. NW pvp is like the flavor icecream that's left when yours is gone.
    Do you buy it?
    Well, how bad is the ESO lag?
    "..."

This made me laugh and cry at the same time. :lol::cry:

PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm still deciding whether to try New World or not. As an Oceanic player, pvp in ESO is almost dead during the time zone except for weekends. So there is some incentive to try another game during the weekdays.

That said, I have watched multiple streams and videos of pvp in New World and I am not impressed. Some seem to experience little lag, but when there are many players on the screen, some players are lagging out. It also seems to be much more of a zergfest than anything I've seen in ESO at present. Just one or two big ball groups going head on head. There doesn't seem to be much organization or strategy, though maybe that's just because it's new.

You know, everyone jumped to Classic Wow when it was remastered. But how long did that last?

As many have mentioned, ESO has to be one of the best pvp experiences of all. It just needs better performance and more resources allocated to it.
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Some YouTubers describe ESO combat as "floaty". This has puzzled me for a while. Does anyone know what they mean? I have not played other MMOs and I haven't the foggiest what they mean or why that would be a bad thing. I do not associate that term with anything. I have some notion it has to do with the animations or with animation cancelling. Sometimes they talk about skills feeling weightless or not impactful. This seems very superficial to me. I have the impression they must not have learnt to PvP in ESO to any level of proficiency and they don't, perhaps, appreciate why animation-cancelling exists. IMO it exists to facilitate fast and responsive combat. That is not something I would trade away. I have a suspicion these reviewers do not appreciate the excitement, the adrenaline rush ESO can generate when the combat is working properly, the sheer speed of it. Am I wrong?

I've seen people describe Skyrim combat in a similar way and what they meant in that case is that the melee combat especially sometimes feels like swinging your sword/mace/axe into thin air and having it hit the enemy. Like the weapon does not connect to the enemy with a clear 'oomph' but rather you're just flinging it in their general direction, hence 'floaty'. I reckon the same could be said of most ESO combat specs, at least the melee ones.

I personally don't mind it at all as I feel it comes with the fast-paced, mobile nature of the combat, but I can see why it would turn off players who are used to... idk, For Honor or something.
    PC/EU altaholic | Smallscale & ballgroup healer | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantasy Earth Zero was a great 50 vs 50 PvP.
    But it was destroyed because the developer was stupid.
    I pray that ESO will not.
  • Eviction
    Eviction
    I really think they should expand on the pvp, maybe put a system in that is like the War Mode in WoW, add new maps/game modes in BGs, add more objectives/mechanics to Cyrodiil. Above all they need to fix the performance issues in Cyrodiil.
    PC-NA
    CP: 1750
    Grand Overlord Grade 2
    Former Emperor
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eviction wrote: »
    I really think they should expand on the pvp, maybe put a system in that is like the War Mode in WoW, add new maps/game modes in BGs, add more objectives/mechanics to Cyrodiil. Above all they need to fix the performance issues in Cyrodiil.

Very much so.

About to take a massive hit on PC pvp base at month end.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'd prefer ESO pvp over NW...if it worked. NW make combat a little better, and sieges more often; then it beats ESO hands down.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a good game dunno why it failed.

They released the game without a fast travel "shrine" or other system, then took way too long to implement one. One of the greatest MMO design blunders I've ever seen in 20 years of playing em. Imagine ESO with no wayshrines...

Also, the PvP was very exploitable with cheats, exploits, imbalance and hacks everywhere, and IIRC most of that was client side... lol. Great potential though, many hours of time in it both pve and pvp once they finally put in fast travel. An MMO with actual aim and driving cars is a niche that should be

To the topic, many PvP games under the belt from AO in 2000 on. ESO's combat system is not to my liking for PvP or end game PvE with all the scripts/"mechanics", but it's a great world to fart around in and play dress up dolly.

The best PvP games I ever played were Shadowbane and GW1. After the hard core of Shadowbane, hard to get excited for PvP in an MMO.