The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Bastian's Appearance Changed?

tomofhyrule
tomofhyrule
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I was just poking around on PTS and I noticed they gave Basti a shave?
e9aod43cscir.png
Left image is on Live, Right is on PTS.

The Houseguest version of Bastian is still scruffy, but the Companion must have found a razor somewhere.

Please revert this if it was intended. I'm used to Basti with the stubble, and I think him with a bit of scruff looks a lot better than the smooth-faced version. Or is this opening up to allow hats/adornments on Companions? (in which case, I'd love to keep the old version)

While I'm at it, is there any chance that Basti's hairstyle (Short Mussed Wave) will ever be released?
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh great. Now I want to punch him even more than before.
    PC NA
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the bread better.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, ZOS is usually pretty good about not changing cosmetics after they've been released unless there's a bug. Bastian's appearance needs to stay the same as on Live.

Nice catch!
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not care for clean shaven Bastian.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like human Shrek…
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish they would change Shegorath's eyes to yellow pupils and hair to look more like oblivion , because shego looks to much like skyrims shego who isn't the shego from eso era.

Oh also bastian looks so much better, amazing job zenimax, I might actualy start using bastion , he looks so fresh!
    Edited by francesinhalover on July 13, 2021 1:25AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am okay with this.

x214a56izs0s.png
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am okay with this.

You might be, but others (including myself) prefer Bastian's old appearance. If ZOS wants to stick with the shaved look, they'll need to allow us to use facial hair customization on male companions.

Or at the very least give us a choice between several head options for companions.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Lugaldu
      Lugaldu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Oh no, hopefully this is just a bug, makes Bastian really looking worse!
    • Grandchamp1989
      Grandchamp1989
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      He looks like a shaved garden gnome now.

Edited by Grandchamp1989 on July 13, 2021 10:59AM
    • Idinuse
      Idinuse
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Dear I ask....any changes to Mirri? :o
      Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
    • UntilValhalla13
      UntilValhalla13
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      What's next, remove his tattoos...?

Naw. Pass.

He just looks derpy now.
    • Grandchamp1989
      Grandchamp1989
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      It doesn't just look like they changed his beard.

Looks like they raised his eyebrows, made him smile, made his nose bigger and possibly adjusted the space between his eyes.

It is a full on face lift.

But I dare say not for the better.
      Edited by Grandchamp1989 on July 13, 2021 11:04AM
    • paulsimonps
      paulsimonps
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Pass, keep him as he is please.
    • DarcyMardin
      DarcyMardin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Ugh. Is this for real? He looks much better with the scruffy beard!
    • Jaimeh
      Jaimeh
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It falls in line with the old addage: "beards hide a weak chin" :lol:

Seriously though, what did Bastian do to them to receive that treatment...
    • Lugaldu
      Lugaldu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

Looks like they raised his eyebrows, made him smile, made his nose bigger and possibly adjusted the space between his eyes.

Yes, very precisely analysed and described.
    • VoodooPlatypus
      VoodooPlatypus
      ✭✭✭✭

Does it look like the CHEERFUL personality was somehow applied to him rather than his previous (firewalker?) one?
    • tsaescishoeshiner
      tsaescishoeshiner
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Idinuse wrote: »
      Dear I ask....any changes to Mirri? :o
      Companions
      • Fixed a bug where Bastian frequently appeared to have a beard when summoned. The beard should now always appear in its correct location, on Mirri's face.
      PC-NA
      in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
    • colossalvoids
      colossalvoids
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Looks like he actually started drinking.
    • tomofhyrule
      tomofhyrule
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

Looking back again, I think it's just a matter of the pictures.

I have pretty high rapport with Basti here, but he does do that smile on live as well. I will note that on PTS he goes from his default Firewalker personality to the smile almost instantly when I open dialogue, whereas on live he keeps the stoic face a bit longer before he cracks a smile, and not as consistently.

Gotta agree that I prefer the stoic face a bit more as well, if they also did something to make him react more to the player rapport.

Hoping that this change is just a fluke (since there wasn't anything about Bastian shaving in the patch notes) and they revert it before this hits live. Especially since Houseguest Basti on PTS still keeps the stubble as well — what, he can't find his razor when he's hanging out at Gar's longhouse, but has no problem whipping it out when he's taking on Harrowstorms in the Reach?

EDIT: Also just checked on a different character — pre-recruitment quest Bastian also still has the face fuzz. It's just the Companion version that is babyfaced.
      Edited by tomofhyrule on July 14, 2021 3:23AM
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Can we get a confirmation whether this a bug or an intended change, @ZOS_GinaBruno ?
        PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • Tyreal1974
        Tyreal1974
        ✭✭✭✭
        Perhaps we will get the option to allow our companions to wear helmets now. If our player characters have that option our companions should as well.
      • ZOS_GinaBruno
        ZOS_GinaBruno
        Community Manager
        Kendaric wrote: »
        Can we get a confirmation whether this a bug or an intended change, @ZOS_GinaBruno ?

Not intentional. We'll get a fix pushed out soon (we like him scruffy too!)
        Gina Bruno
        Senior Community Manager
        Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
        Staff Post
      • Kendaric
        Kendaric
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Thanks for the quick reply :)
        • BlissfulDeluge
          BlissfulDeluge
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          I am okay with this.

You might be, but others (including myself) prefer Bastian's old appearance. If ZOS wants to stick with the shaved look, they'll need to allow us to use facial hair customization on male companions.

Or at the very least give us a choice between several head options for companions.

That is how opinions work, yes. :) Some people like some things some ways, and others like them another.
          Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
        • VaranisArano
          VaranisArano
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          Marcus Titus Alessian lowers his copy of the Black Horse Courier, carefully studying his companion's face. "I still can't believe you let Quistley persuade you to shave off the stubble. Of course," he adds, stroking his own goatee, "I'm biased in favor of facial hair."

Bastian nervously rubs his clean-shaven chin. "What did the Devs say?"

"They like you scruffy. So you can quit wearing out my razor."

As Bastian sighs with relief, Marcus continues, "Also, tide-glass beads can be found in any alchemy node in Shadowfen now."

"Thank the Divines. I still hear nirnroot singing in my sleep!"
        • Tyreal1974
          Tyreal1974
          ✭✭✭✭

Anything in the works creating a toggle to allow companions to display helmets or other facial adornments/tattoos?
        • coop500
          coop500
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭

OMG THANK GOD I WAS ABOUT TO LOSE MY HEAD LOL

I love my Bastian just the way he is on Live and if they shaved him it'd be CURSED. He looks sooo weird OMG
          Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
        • coop500
          coop500
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭
          Marcus Titus Alessian lowers his copy of the Black Horse Courier, carefully studying his companion's face. "I still can't believe you let Quistley persuade you to shave off the stubble. Of course," he adds, stroking his own goatee, "I'm biased in favor of facial hair."

Bastian nervously rubs his clean-shaven chin. "What did the Devs say?"

"They like you scruffy. So you can quit wearing out my razor."

As Bastian sighs with relief, Marcus continues, "Also, tide-glass beads can be found in any alchemy node in Shadowfen now."

"Thank the Divines. I still hear nirnroot singing in my sleep!"

LOL love these little snippets
          Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?