Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Console Enhanced FAQ

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
With the launch of Console Enhanced tomorrow, ESO will run natively on the Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5, harnessing the horsepower of new-generation console tech to dramatically improve the game’s visual fidelity and performance on those machines. All new ESO players will be able to access Console Enhanced immediately upon purchasing, and it will be available as a free upgrade for existing players or Xbox Game Pass subscribers.

Below are some of the noteworthy changes with Console Enhanced that you’ll enjoy:
  • 60 Frames Per Second
    • For the first time, you can experience the game running at 60FPS when Performance Mode is activated. Previously capped at 30FPS, you can now enjoy a crisp 60FPS throughout your adventures.
  • Performance and Fidelity Modes
    • Console Enhanced comes two modes to choose from: Performance and Fidelity Modes. When running in Fidelity Mode, you will enjoy native 4k for the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, and 1440p for the Xbox Series S; the only difference between the Xbox Series S versus the Series X and PS5 is the resolution. When running in Performance Mode on the Xbox Series S, some additional visual settings are lowered to ensure a seamless experience at 60 FPS and 1080p. You can learn more about these modes and the key differences in this website article.
  • Improved Draw Distance
    • The draw distance has almost been doubled for your new console, allowing you to see more than ever before.
  • Unlocked Textures
    • We’ve also unlocked the ability for new-gen consoles to use high resolution textures so that they look even better on larger screens.
  • Updated Antialiasing
    • Improved antialiasing is also in place to help smooth out any jagged edges of foliage, grass, and structures in-game while also sharpening these elements when viewed up close.
  • Improved Reflections
    • We’ve improved the visuals with the addition of planar reflections, providing a massive boost to the game’s level of detail and realism. This is most noticeable in areas with water (such as Vivec City or Summerset). Note that when in Performance Mode, the boost to reflections might vary in water-heavy zones (such as Murkmire) or in areas where performance is most valued (such as in Cyrodiil or Trials).
  • Improved Ambient Occlusion with Screen Space Global Illumination
    • Upgrades to the game’s ambient occlusion with SSGI creates more realistic and natural indirect lighting and broadly boosts the level of detail in the game’s shadows.
  • Improved Shadows
    • Shadow resolution has been doubled and set to the PC equivalent of “Ultra”—the best possible setting for shadows in any version of ESO. This includes improvements to shadow distance.
  • Improved Depth of Field
    • This upgrade enables circular depth of field (the highest possible setting), creating smoother and more realistic background views, particularly when interacting with NPCs.
  • Improved Loading Times
    • Loading times have been tuned to be much faster than previous generation consoles, with loading times being nearly cut in half on average.

Additionally, we wanted to take this time to answer some questions you may have about how the Console Enhanced update will work tomorrow.

Q: What is the download size for Console Enhanced?
A: The approximate download size is 89GB for Console Enhanced.

Q: When can I begin downloading Console Enhanced?
A: The download for Console Enhanced will begin at 7am EDT on June 15.

Q: Will there be any maintenance or downtime?
A: There will be no planned maintenance or downtime for the launch of Console Enhanced.

Q: How do I download Console Enhanced?
A: On the Xbox Series X|S, Console Enhanced utilizes Smart Delivery to download and install the best version of game for you. If you have instant-on power mode and auto-update games enabled, Smart Delivery will upgrade you to Console Enhanced in the background automatically. Otherwise, a prompt will appear when playing or launching the game to initiate the update. For more on Smart Delivery, see this FAQ.

On the PlayStation 5 when launching the game, your console will ask you to confirm your game version and whether you wish to upgrade to the PS5 version (Console Enhanced). You can then switch to the PS5 version of the game and it will take you to ESO’s product page to begin downloading and installing it. You can always navigate directly to the ESO product page in the PlayStation 5 store to begin the download yourself. For more on upgrading to the PS5 version, see this FAQ

Q: Is extra space needed outside of the download size?
A: There may be a small amount of additional space needed for language files, depending on your language of choice.

Q: Can I still play the original version of ESO while Console Enhanced is downloading?
A: Xbox players will not be able to play the game until it has been upgraded to Console Enhanced. Once updated, you will only be able to play the next gen version of the game. PS5 players will still be able to play the PS4 version of the game while the PS5 version is downloading.

Q: Can I switch between the original version of ESO and Console Enhanced?
A: Xbox Smart Delivery will choose the best version of the game for you. If you’re using an Xbox Series X|S console and want to play the Xbox One version of the game, you’ll need to play on that hardware.

PlayStation 5 players will be able to install and play both versions of the game on their console. The PS4 version of the game will be playable on external storage, but console storage must be used to play the PS5 Console Enhanced version.

Q: How can I tell if I’m playing Console Enhanced?
A: To tell if the Console Enhanced version is installed on Xbox, open “My Games & Apps” and select “See All”. In Games, select the filter and under “All Console Types” select “Optimized for Xbox Series X|S games”. If the game is listed, your game has successfully been upgraded.

If your game has not been upgraded yet, check My Games & Apps > See all > Manage > Updates – it may be waiting as an available update, which can happen if you don’t have the auto-update games setting enabled.

To tell if the Console Enhanced version is installed on PlayStation, visit “Game Library” > “Installed” > “Console storage.” If the PS5 version is installed, the “PS4” tag will not be present on the game icon. Additionally, you can also filter your Game Library by choosing the filter icon > Platform > PS5.

Q: Are previous console generations affected by the launch of Console Enhanced?
A: No, players on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will not be affected by the launch of Console Enhanced and will not be required to download anything additional on June 15.

Q: Will platform achievements carry over to the new platforms?
A: Previously earned platform achievements will be accessible on next generation consoles. Xbox platform achievements will be grouped together, regardless of what hardware was used to earn them. PlayStation 4 Trophies will still be visible on PlayStation 5, but new trophies earned on that console will count towards a separate Trophy set that is specific to PS5 gameplay.
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on June 14, 2021 8:20PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Antony S
    Antony S
    Evening Gina Bruno!

Could you be so king to answer on next question:
    If i would like to play on both my playstations PS4 and PS5 my game progress will count separate or be the same ?
    Edited by Antony S on June 14, 2021 9:07PM
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Antony S wrote: »
    Evening Gina Bruno!

Could you be so king to answer on next question:
    If i would like to play on both my playstations PS4 and PS5 my game progress will count separate or be the same ?

Same because ESO saves are server side. What is saved on your console is your settings data not your actual account data.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno most important issue that I don’t see notes for from an issue created from adding HDR.

Did you all at least offer the option to disable HDR on this game to allow the console to do so for Xbox series x on its own.

Your HDR has been highly oversaturated unlike any other game. If not this did your in-house team redo HDR so it doesn’t have these poor effects?

Edited: Nothing was done so all this update does is make the over-saturation more apparent. PLEASE HAVE THE TEAM ADD IN GAME SETTINGS TO TURN OFF HDR. The logic here is to have the ability to allow the console to do the work for us that this game would shine in ways it should. Turning off HDR on the console does not resolve this.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on June 15, 2021 12:47PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Q: Will platform achievements carry over to the new platforms?
    A: Previously earned platform achievements will be accessible on next generation consoles. Xbox platform achievements will be grouped together, regardless of what hardware was used to earn them. PlayStation 4 Trophies will still be visible on PlayStation 5, but new trophies earned on that console will count towards a separate Trophy set that is specific to PS5 gameplay.

Does this mean that our trophies are already unlocked by means of seeing our achievements or will I have to torture myself for fishing every zone and ascending to Emperor again to re-earn those?

I ask because those last two are not pleasant for those of us who don’t have weeks and 24 hour days to grind like others.
  • winner_wd
    winner_wd
    Soul Shriven
    A dumb question:Can I use the ds4 controller on the console enhanced ESO?
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    winner_wd wrote: »
    A dumb question:Can I use the ds4 controller on the console enhanced ESO?

Not dumb at all considering the number of complaints
    about controller drift with DualSense controllers.
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Fidelity mode be capped at 30FPS?
    PS | EU
  • EpicHero
    EpicHero
    ✭✭✭✭
    But also, it's a PS5 game, and the answer to can I use a DS4 controller with a PS5 game can easily be answered by a quick google.
  • Avoranti
    Avoranti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own and play using the PS4 disc. Will the PS5 enhanced version require me to still use the disc or is it a digital replacement?
  • B11zzard1991
    B11zzard1991
    ✭✭
    I can't update to ps5 version, because i need disk? What?
  • RobDaCool
    RobDaCool
    ✭✭✭
    It says Disk required, but I've never had the disk version.
    PS4 NA -RobdacoolV2
  • Avoranti
    Avoranti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't update to ps5 version, because i need disk? What?
    RobDaCool wrote: »

I suppose this answers my question.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    RobDaCool wrote: »

FYI: We're looking into this now and should have an answer soon.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It says two things:
    1. Disk is required
    2. It is not possible to buy this product at this moment (when we want to know more about the PS5 version)

May be not related, but:
    Is Blackwood a requirement for the PS5 version ?
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here, oh come on…
  • msetten
    msetten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Same issue here.
  • dainiaxeb17_ESO
    dainiaxeb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Same here Disk required on PS5. I do have Tamriel Unlimited edition. Also see option to buy Elder Scrolls Online.
    Edited by dainiaxeb17_ESO on June 15, 2021 11:35AM
  • Jarrods32
    Jarrods32
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on xbox and my upgrade wont prompt for download
  • lynx20036a
    This is a crock all I want to to download PS5 version with out having to buy a disk come on fix this
  • Norgh
    Norgh
    ✭✭✭
    Jarrods32 wrote: »

I had to restart to get the download working.
    Xbox EU-UK Xbox Series X
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Norgh wrote: »
    Jarrods32 wrote: »

I had to restart to get the download working.
    Did not work on my PS5 ;)

• kmcaj
    kmcaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by kmcaj on June 15, 2021 11:47AM
  • kmcaj
    kmcaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So no PS5 upgrade for digital owners of the game? Would have been nice to mention that in the FAQ.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    kmcaj wrote: »
    So no PS5 upgrade for digital owners of the game? Would have been nice to mention that in the FAQ.

That is not intentional and as mentioned above, we are investigating why that's currently occurring.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • googy303
    googy303
    Soul Shriven
    can‘t download upgrade :smiley:
  • ebanvolio
    ebanvolio
    Soul Shriven
    i have ESO via a digital upgrade where i no longer need the disk. It now says that a disk is required to upgrade to the PS5 edition. I have the digital PS5. How do i get the upgrade without having to buy the base game all over again.
  • ParsFellas
    i have every upgrade including black wood and using digital version cant get ps5 updatee asking disk
  • johnjmcmullenb14a_ESO
    Really ****** right now for waking up at 4AM to download this to my PS 5. Only to find its not working.
  • ParsFellas
    It says two things:
    1. Disk is required
    2. It is not possible to buy this product at this moment (when we want to know more about the PS5 version)

May be not related, but:
    Is Blackwood a requirement for the PS5 version ?

i hAve black wood and having same issue.
  • MaKTaiL
    MaKTaiL
    ✭✭✭✭
    What happened to Kraken compression? PS4 version is 85gb and PS5 version is 89gb. What gives?