The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Your ideas how to improve the companions

• Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MajThorax wrote: »
    1. Remove them from the game
    2. See above

What you have against them? I mean if you don't like them you don't have to use them.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Able to change their hair style.

Official list of rapport and disapprovals.

Able to repair your gear (as a perk).
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the option to replace them with one (or several) of the following
    • magicka melee weapon
    • stamina healing weapon
    • hand magic
    • spell crafting
    • class change tokens
    • martial skill line (unarmed)
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they can't ever be useful in hard content and are not needed in easy content, at least make them tell you intersting stuff about the striking locations you are visiting. Give me a reason to have them with me. Think of the Augur of the Obscure but this time through the eyes of your average person and not some cosmic entity. Right now companions are focused too much on the mechanics when the mechanics do not actually matter.

Also I know companions are laying the foundation for future romance and reputation systems, but you better make the characters more fleshed out if you want anyone to take those romance options seriously. Something on the level of a Razum-dar, a Darien, pre-Morrowind Naryu, the Vanos siblings etc. Do not give us a character that we ought to like. Give us a character we like for who they are and not someone we are supposed to like. In the past, characters we were supposed to like have often failed at being likeable (Khamira, Morrowind Naryu, Svana, Tharayya).
    One approach for this, that would also work for making regular companions likeable, is to have a fairly large amount of options to choose from and letting people pick who they like rather than trying to try to make a character try to appeal to as many people at the same time as possible. It's important that the quality of writing doesn't suffer from the quantity being presented. That might not be easy, but that's the only way to ensure the success of such a feature.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would eliminate them from the Known Universe.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing what irritates me the most about them is that they are standing in the way whenever I want to loot something,go out of a door or even use a wayshrine.
    This is something I would want to see changed in the future so they are walking a bit more far away from the player itself.

What would you like to see changed about the companions in the future?

Right now I would say the most pressing issue is their poor AI. Until they are programmed to either move out of deadly ground AoE, or given some kind of passive resistance against it, they are going to remain more trouble than they are worth to keep alive on those kind of fights.
    Edited by Jeremy on June 12, 2021 10:54PM
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Replace them all (companions) with Stibbonses.

I abandoned that quest because Stibbons is the most obnoxious thing in this game. I will never do that quest line.

Think Jar-Jar Binx.

• six2fall
    six2fall
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not really in any particular order what I'd love to see changed

1 they need their own storage for loot
    2 we need to be able to cover their heads
    3 companions should always stay a distance away from us but give us a way to send or call them to a spot to interact with
    4 need to better prioritize targets, dont think the l3+r3+r2 thing works at all as numerous times seen bastion pull of my target (boss) to go provoke some random trash
    5 there is no need for me to see other player companions ever just set them so only player or group can see them
    6 groups need to be able to summon companions up to the new horrible 12 person limit. It is beyond asinine if I'm in a group of 3 only 1 person can have a companion out. Also in a group of 6 outside of a trial we couldnt summon any so wtf it messes up any guild events using companions
    7 gear needs to be easier to get
    8 add companions from the guild skill lines like psijic dark brotherhood thieves etc.
    9 let us send them off to collect materials or treasures on a timer when not using them. Something like a 4 hr 8 hr or 12 hr excursion. (Like hirelings but for those that dont craft)
    10 give them an ability to combo with our ultimate. Like a skill they automatically use any time we use our ultimate that makes our ultimate more effective or improves it in some way
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to be able to change their hairstyles and head decorations, I want Mirri with the red lipstick and a tiara and Bastian with long hair. That is my only wish at the moment.
  • madarame_77
    madarame_77
    ✭✭✭
    Allow to wear headgear.
  • Togal
    Togal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Git rid of companions their useless
  • Marillea
    Marillea
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to add one change I also would like to see:
    - Hide everyone elses companion & show only the ones of players we are in a group with OR allow for further customisation with helmets.
    I do not really care for immersion, but plenty of others do, and I have to admit it will stop being fun soon enough seeing the same exact two companions EVERYWHERE. It will get better as more are released, but I still wouldn't be sad about not seeing @username companion, as we already have sorc pets/bears/non-combat pets.
    It would be fine if this would even just be in cities, where small spaces such as the bank get overcrowded fast.
    Edited by Marillea on June 13, 2021 8:22AM
  • electriczzz
    electriczzz
    ✭✭✭
    -Interaction with them on X (the synergy button) instead of the standard E due to they constantly get in my way when looting. PROBLEM,SERA?
    -More AoE Resistance/ more frequent roll dodges out of Aoes
    -Sending companions on expeditions where they will gather loot or exp or something in the time while I am busy with stuff where I simply cannot bring them, trials and some vet DLC dungeons come to mind and also random normals due to the queue
  • HoneyBunBadgers
    MY thoughts of what I would like:
    1. Let us be able to take companions everywhere and let us have the opportunity to have them be active at all times, including: Cyrodiil, Battlegrounds, dungeons...etc. (I'd rather have my companion who I get to know and care about by my side then a random player). I don't like that my companion gets unsummoned if you have a certain amount of people in your group. Therefore I'd rather not be in a group anymore so my companion can be with me. I find it discouraging to group now if it will take my companion away.
    2. Companions should have a small inventory of their own. Carrying their gear takes up even more space in your inventory/bank even if I am maxed out inventory/bank space, there is still not enough room for all the gear plus my stuff and I am constantly having to juggle my bank/inventory.
    3. Let characters romance/get married to the companions. The majority of RPG's have this and it is something that feels missing to me. Once romanced, there should be some extra dialogue from the companions related to being in love and maybe receive random items as gifts from them once a day or after you feel your "lovers embrace" when the screen fades to black kinda like Fallout 4 companion romances. (Fallout 4 is a good example of how companions should be like).
    4. More dialogue options with different branches of dialogue. Right now, dialogue seems limited when talking to companions, it doesn't feel like a conversation with other npc's, it's more like a "your thoughts?' and then 1 sentence, then the conversation is over. Also, the companions need even more lines and comments for engaging in overland content. For example, entering a city, looting a chest, starting a battle...etc. Right now I've had Mirri as my main companion for a couple of days and I'm already getting used to hearing the same lines over and over. Companions need more variation in dialogue so it doesn't get stale real fast.
    5. More customization options for companions would go along way. The ability to put hats or helmets, body/face markings, different personalities, adornments...etc. The ability to customize them fully would make companions more unique and everyone would be able to make them exactly how they want them.
    6. Companions should have an option to send them on "Quests" for example, there are 2 companions right now and you can only have 1 active at a time so the inactive one would be free to be "sent" out to collect resources, learn a crafting skill, search for rare treasure or something while not in the company of the player. There can be a menu and you can choose what "quest" to send your companion on for a couple of hours while you are away and an example would be like "send companions to search for alchemy ingredients - 2 hours" during those 2 hours the companion would be unavailable but there's an option to cancel quest if you change your mind. If the companion "quest" is completed, you will be mailed some crafting materials (kinda like the crafting perks that send you materials once a day).
    7. Companion gear should be able to be craftable, transmuteable, and upgradeable by the player. This would give the crafting skill lines much more substance and stuff to do.
    8. Companions should get more skills to use. The companions don't have all the skills in each class skill line that players have so it feels limited. Also too, maybe it's because the 2 companions we have are a dragonknight and a nightblade, but it feels as if there are some types of skills missing in each of the skill lines, etc. warden, sorcerer, templar, necromancer skills are not available for them for obvious reasons but there needs to be more skills in each class, weapon skill line, and guild skill lines. Right now, our companions can't use all the skills available to the players which makes them feel more limited in combat customization. Another thing is that companions can join the mages guild, fighters guild, and undaunted with some of their skill lines, but can't join the psijic order or use it's skill line.
    9. More Companions are needed for every race and for both genders for each race. For roleplay reasons, If I am playing an Ebonheart pact character, I would want mirri since she is dunmer from morrowind which is part of the Ebonheart pact lands. If I am playing a Daggerfall Covenant character I would want Bastian, Bastian grew up in daggerfall so he would kinda be covenant but they leave his allegiance open ended with his family and past. But if I am playing an Aldmeri Dominion Character, I would want neither since the dominion would view both as enemies. The Imperial Bastian would be looked down upon as a lesser race and the Dunmer Mirri would be looked down upon aswell since the chimer left to worship the daedra and became the dunmer which is an offense to the altmer, let alone both companions come from enemy lands to the dominion.

These are my main issues with companions at the moment. I do love to use them, but these are simply ideas to improve upon the current and future ones to make them even better! :)
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rapport is my biggest gripe. I could deal with it being account wide.
    Doing mages guild quests on my maxed out main (who needs the companion most, for achievements and what not), when I've got 8 other toons who need the levelling is such a waste.
  • VilniusNastavnik
    VilniusNastavnik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allow us to change their houseguest outfit

much higher drop rate for companion gear

Because they have their own houseguest outfit, unless you like it, there is no reason to use them as an end game player.
    Having someone in my house that's outfit suited my style was the whole point of me grinding them out for use as furniture.

What they are:
    unknown.png

What I wanted..
    unknown.png
    Active Toons:
    NA - VilniusNastavnik - Magsorc DPS - Altmer
    NA - Ko'h Nehko'h - Stamblade Archer - Khajit
    NA - Arwyn Winterlight - MagPlar Healer - Breton
    NA - Urog Blackfang - DK Tank - Orc
    NA - Elen Windsong - Stamsorc DPS - Bosmer
    NA - Eats-Strange-Fungus - Magden HealzTank- Argonian
    NA - Harwyn Northwind - MagWarden DPS - High Elf
    NA - Raises-Many-Families - Necro HealzTank - Argonian

Picture of my Active Toons.

Obligatory ESO Fashion website plug: Vil's Portfolio
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delete Bastion from the game and replace him with Lyranth

unknown.png
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wow wrote: »

unknown.png

I like Bastian and your screenshot is obviously a bug, same did happen to me but with Mirri till I finally got her rapport high enough to take the quest and the markers did disappear.
    It's not a Bastian problem.

I see more Mirris than Bastians,seeing so many in one spot is unusual at least wherever I go.
    Edited by Lady_Galadhiel on June 13, 2021 12:39PM
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Assign a different Talk button with them separate from the Interact button.
    2. Assign a separate Use Ultimate button from Command Pet Action.
    3. Choose which direction they Dodge Roll. Forward, Sideways, Backwards or Towards me dammit!
    4. Control Combat Personality Behavior: Aggressive, Protective, Cautious, Cowardly, Pacifist.

Aggressive = Current Behavior.
    Protective = Only when I'm directly attacked by something do they attack it.
    Cautious = Only attack what I have attacked, ignore everything else in combat.
    Cowardly = Cast abilities only, when everything is on cooldown no auto attack whatsoever.
    Pacifist = Stand there, follow me, do nothing.

After reading most of the comments here, I think that this one ^ (4.) needs to be implemented sooner, like next patch or two. It gets annoying while exploring Blackwood, I turn and find my companion is no longer with me. Instead they're fighting a dire wolf and a couple of mudcrabs behind me, a half a mile down the road. Most mmo games that have companions have at least a passive/aggressive setting.
    So far I like the companion system but I'm hoping ESO devs continues to improve on the quality of life issues with companions.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Orion_89
    Orion_89
    ✭✭✭✭
    babykubrow wrote: »
    - Multiple loadouts to switch between, so I do not have to bank and take out every time on every character gear I'd like my companion to wear. This is made 1000 times worse from my lack of a banker, so I actually need to stop what I'm doing, go to a city ecc...
    - Companion backpack. Even a small one, with 10 or so slots.
    - Outfits being different on every character, if you so desire.
    - A fix to any sort of aggro issue companions are affected by. It's annoying having to run after Mirri because she light attacked 1 enemy and kept on dodging away, going for a walk with whoever I am fighting. I would even be fine with them not being capable of getting aggro, unless they are built for it.
    - Being able to tell them to move the heck away as I spend half the time quitting the companion menu because Mirri won't stop invading my screen. She can't be next to me, she can't be behind me, she has to be right in front of me every time I am questing or trying to loot.
    1. Assign a different Talk button with them separate from the Interact button.
    2. Assign a separate Use Ultimate button from Command Pet Action.
    3. Choose which direction they Dodge Roll. Forward, Sideways, Backwards or Towards me dammit!
    4. Control Combat Personality Behavior: Aggressive, Protective, Cautious, Cowardly, Pacifist.

Aggressive = Current Behavior.
    Protective = Only when I'm directly attacked by something do they attack it.
    Cautious = Only attack what I have attacked, ignore everything else in combat.
    Cowardly = Cast abilities only, when everything is on cooldown no auto attack whatsoever.
    Pacifist = Stand there, follow me, do nothing.

Agree with most of this ideas.

One small addition would be nice to see: gift exchange system. There is a category of items called "treasures". Let us give it to our companions and receive something in exchange (with an option to tell companions what we like: resources, consumables, leads, motifs etc.)
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More aesthetic options would be nice, like being able to use helmets or change their hairstyle or give them adornments. I wouldn't ask for the ability to change their look completely because I'm okay with the fact that they're NPCs and not extensions of myself, but that leads me to the next point...

...which is, since they are supposed to be their own developed individuals, I would like to see more responsiveness and reactions to events going on around them, more dialogue options, and more ways to raise rapport. Mirri seems much more developed than Bastian in this regard. She comments on the Vvardenfell scale model being complete or incomplete, the Vault of Moawita being complete or incomplete, and someone said she even gives approval for you speaking to Sotha Sil during the Summerset main quest. Meanwhile, Bastian has given me no reaction whatsoever to any of those places, doesn't care about me joining the Psijic Order, and had nothing to say when I met the Ritemaster. He should absolutely have had reactions and approval in those instances.

Being able to set their distance from you in combat would be great, as well as a separate keybind for them vs your combat pets, and a separate keybind for their ult.
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if information about certain regions and locations could be obtained from the companions.
  • aurorable
    aurorable
    ✭✭✭
    More customization: adornments, hair styles, skins, polymorphs, helms, etc would be nice. Changing them up so there is less exacts clones running around.

Companion bag would be nice and if we can't have a gear bag, then give us something like a 3 x loadouts. It would be a drop down menu (like the outfit tab) but for gear loadouts. Having at least 3 would be nice, so I could set up a tank/healer/dps with ease on each companion. This way I'm not stressing about remembering to put gear back into my bank.

Rapport account wide (I know not everyone would be a fan of it, simply adding an option to disable would fix the problem).

Edit: Also more skill lines, like let us turn our companions into WWs or Vamps

Edited by aurorable on June 13, 2021 5:18PM
    Crazy Cat Lady
    PC/NA CP2600+
    Stamsorc DPS (Master Crafter)
    DK Tank (Crafter)
    Templar Healer (Crafter)
    Templar Healer (Crafter)
    Necro Healer (Crafter)
    Warden Healer (Crafter)
    Sorc Healer (Crafter)
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    Crafter
    And last.. but not least another crafter!
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their dislikes interfering with harvesting, which is kind of a core game component...

That needs a serious rethink.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow wrote: »

unknown.png

Mirri says hi. hi. hi. hi. hi. hi.

zpsoTAo.png
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give all companion 2 dailies to increase rapport. Bastion only having one sucks for the people that like him and makes me even less likely to use him. Also his perk needs to be redone completely. It's useless.
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything everyone else has suggested

and

Helmets and Body marking/ facial hair/ adornment etc customization would be nice. They can still be themselves without me having to look at their ugly mugs! lol
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MY thoughts of what I would like:
    3. Let characters romance/get married to the companions. The majority of RPG's have this and it is something that feels missing to me. Once romanced, there should be some extra dialogue from the companions related to being in love and maybe receive random items as gifts from them once a day or after you feel your "lovers embrace" when the screen fades to black kinda like Fallout 4 companion romances. (Fallout 4 is a good example of how companions should be like).

These are my main issues with companions at the moment. I do love to use them, but these are simply ideas to improve upon the current and future ones to make them even better! :)

All the other suggestions good except this one with the Dragon Age romance suggestion.

Horrific image of fade out scene with Bastian shouting, “THE DAY IS OURS!” And then very shortly, “HUZZAH!”

:D
    Edited by SammyKhajit on June 17, 2021 2:19AM
  • blkjag
    blkjag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of them
  • jenwa72ab14_ESO
    Stronger, their #'s barely make any dent. Skill cooldown halved. IMO 5K DPS absolute min, more like 7.5K min at 20.

Trait %'s are laughably trivial on most traits.

Yes to no interaction with them via dialog while in battle.

Possibly auto-hide when in major town hubs.

Sure to their own inventory, then loadouts to change on demand.

If removed, want refund, just make them worthy of a player slot please.

Do all of that and then I'll anxiously await more companions added later.