The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Elemental catalyst, a necro only set?

• B11zzard1991
    B11zzard1991
    ✭✭
    Wow, I really like Pa+mk build for healer. A lot of needed stamina from rings/neck and set bonuses. Easy to maintain, just use vigor and move in/out 10m to proc on whole group, huge buff.

Probably going to stick with that, and other healer will run sps(olo)/hollow.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]
    • Which of these ideas have or haven't seemed to hold up?
    • Is Catalyst proccing from proc damage?
    • Is anybody using Catalyst/brittle builds?

[edited for thread bumping]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 30, 2022 7:07PM
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, it works very well for necros, better than other classes.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »
    Well, it works very well for necros, better than other classes.

i should test how it works with vateshran destro staff. but for that i need to farm/reconstruct elemental catalyst :sigh:
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

i should test how it works with vateshran destro staff. but for that i need to farm/reconstruct elemental catalyst :sigh:

Isn't that what the pts is for?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karm1cOne wrote: »

or random guildies. hehe. probably blackrose staff instead though
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Karm1cOne wrote: »

or random guildies. hehe. probably blackrose staff instead though

If Catalyst really procs from a proc, the BRP staff sure seems like an appealing try.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not really any different from Zen’s being a “DK only set”. Sure other classes can use these, but it’s so much easier on one.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To answer two common questions:

Blastbones and the Skeletal Mage DO NOT proc Catalyst.

However, elemental proc set damage DOES proc Catalyst.

BRP staff is not ideal to use here because you only get one damage tick per element per cast and over-casting it simply re-sets the scripted pseudo-DOT.
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get very high uptime with minor brittle & elemental catalyst with my magden. Double ice staves with shock enchant back bar and fire enchant front bar. I get like 90%+ on brittle and the ice debuff and about 75-85% on the shock and fire debuff.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get very high uptime with minor brittle & elemental catalyst with my magden. Double ice staves with shock enchant back bar and fire enchant front bar. I get like 90%+ on brittle and the ice debuff and about 75-85% on the shock and fire debuff.

I can see that giving good uptimes, but you’re losing almost 600 Spell Damage by having the Shock enchant instead of Berserker. It’s just difficult to get Shock Damage on a Warden build without sacrificing something significant.

The exception here is for an AoE/trash build. The best setup in that case is Inferno Staff back bar with Unstable Wall of Flames. Front bar is a Lightning Staff with Shock Ring or Shock Clench, and Winter’s Revenge covers the Frost debuff. I’ve had great results with this in trials, but obviously it’s not a build for bosses so Catalyst typically goes to a Necro at that point (they were using Architect + Dead-Water’s Guile on trash so no room for EC).
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭

I can see that giving good uptimes, but you’re losing almost 600 Spell Damage by having the Shock enchant instead of Berserker. It’s just difficult to get Shock Damage on a Warden build without sacrificing something significant.

The exception here is for an AoE/trash build. The best setup in that case is Inferno Staff back bar with Unstable Wall of Flames. Front bar is a Lightning Staff with Shock Ring or Shock Clench, and Winter’s Revenge covers the Frost debuff. I’ve had great results with this in trials, but obviously it’s not a build for bosses so Catalyst typically goes to a Necro at that point (they were using Architect + Dead-Water’s Guile on trash so no room for EC).

The dps loss is noticable but it isn't that much, it's mainly a support dps build so i expect lower dps especially with frost staves. I still hit like 80k dps I just like providing minor brittle and Catalyst on one character opens up options for the other dds and is especially useful for pugs. The same build on my necro works too, the minor brittle uptime is considerably lower but fire / shock debuff is a bit higher.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    By the Divines...
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

What traits on the staffs?
  • Josira
    Josira
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]
    • Which of these ideas have or haven't seemed to hold up?
    • Is Catalyst proccing from proc damage?
    • Is anybody using Catalyst/brittle builds?

REANIMATE!

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 30, 2022 7:07PM
    "BlooD FReNZy TicKS aLL thE BoXes of WhaT iT mEanS tO bE a VaMpiRe"
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭

What traits on the staffs?

Infused backbar, charged front bar
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    By the Divines...
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice staff frontbar charged with frost enchantment is enough for brittle. You can run inferno on the backbar for more damage, if you're not using catalyst..
    Edited by Stahlor on January 19, 2021 1:00PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Stahlor wrote: »
    Ice staff frontbar charged with frost enchantment is enough for brittle. You can run inferno on the backbar for more damage, if you're not using catalyst..

84% chance each time the enchantment procs, correct?

And Brittle's duration is ... 4 seconds?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stahlor wrote: »

84% chance each time the enchantment procs, correct?

And Brittle's duration is ... 4 seconds?

64% nvm I can't count, 84%, 20% base, 320% increase from passives.
    Edited by zvavi on January 24, 2021 1:28AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slight digression, but relevant to the same builds:

If one's going to have a Charged destro staff anyway, then one's spammable should be a Force Shock morph, right?

Note: Even when I heal a dungeon PUG, I almost always equip a spammable. Crushing Shock is the usual choice, except on a Warden, or perhaps if I'm struggling to find room for something other than Frags on a Sorcerer.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To answer two common questions:

Blastbones and the Skeletal Mage DO NOT proc Catalyst.

However, elemental proc set damage DOES proc Catalyst.

BRP staff is not ideal to use here because you only get one damage tick per element per cast and over-casting it simply re-sets the scripted pseudo-DOT.

[snip]

There's also a new set that amplifies weapon traits, but if you use that plus Catalyst you aren't using much else.

[edited for thread bumping]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 30, 2022 7:08PM