The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I think we are missing the point of ESO with combat balancing?

Lord_Imrhial
Lord_Imrhial
✭✭✭
ESO states itself as "Go anywhere, do anything, and play your way in The Elder Scrolls Online, the award-winning online RPG set in the Elder Scrolls universe".

While I believe balance is a nice thing, at the end of the day ESO is meant to be a fun adventure game - not a try-hard competitive tournament game, right? I feel like lately ESO has been so focused on combat, balance, and PvP and we are forgetting the main aspect of ESO and that is in trying to have fun and finding adventure in the Elder Scrolls universe.

I want to try and test out so many fun sets, but lately (and with future changes) I probably won't as it will end up just getting me killed by random mobs. By being so focused on nerfing and balancing out stuff we are missing out on lots of fun styles and ways to play and I just wanted to stick out a reminder that we don't forget what ESO is and was meant to be. There are so many cool sets out there that I am sure many people at ZoS worked on and they end up getting tossed to the way-side due to "balance issues".

I understand PvP has some things to work out, but at the same time, ESO PvP isn't having tournaments and prize pools and while I understand that PvP-mains want a balanced/fair setup I also feel like we are being so focused on it that we are forgetting the rest of the game's combat (PvE) at the same time. So what if some sets are little strong in a PvE-setting - I want to have fun and try new stuff and just wish we could separate PvE from PvP so we could do that more.

At the end of the day, I just want to have fun and actually adventure with all sorts of random sets and want to remind everyone that while combat (and PvP balancing) is cool and needs some balances, I ultimately care more about the adventure-portion of ESO.
  • Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now i will step on thin ice, so i will make it clear from the beginning: Im not defending ZOS' decision to butcher CP values, im not defending the new procc set requirements, and i dont speak from a PVP perspective and im not saying companions are awesome.

but

the thing you describe, i.E. going out and adventure, finding new places, going into a delve and what not, you still can do it. its not that overland mobs pose a threat to anyone, no matter the gear. This changes are going to shake up the Meta (as in THE most optimal setup for a class in the most perfect circumstances) but they wont change the overland-adventure-playstyle. It will be a little more difficult, since proccsets aren't as powerfull as before, but they will by far suffice for what you intend.

if not, there will be companions, you can chose and costumize to follow you on your adventures.

what i want to say really is: dont fear, your fun and adventures will still be possible, even with some random sets you want to combine.
  • Lord_Imrhial
    Lord_Imrhial
    ✭✭✭
    Xuhora wrote: »
    Now i will step on thin ice, so i will make it clear from the beginning: Im not defending ZOS' decision to butcher CP values, im not defending the new procc set requirements, and i dont speak from a PVP perspective and im not saying companions are awesome.

but

the thing you describe, i.E. going out and adventure, finding new places, going into a delve and what not, you still can do it. its not that overland mobs pose a threat to anyone, no matter the gear. This changes are going to shake up the Meta (as in THE most optimal setup for a class in the most perfect circumstances) but they wont change the overland-adventure-playstyle. It will be a little more difficult, since proccsets aren't as powerfull as before, but they will by far suffice for what you intend.

if not, there will be companions, you can chose and costumize to follow you on your adventures.

what i want to say really is: dont fear, your fun and adventures will still be possible, even with some random sets you want to combine.

No worries about thin ice - I could just be wallowing in my own sadness and welcome any and all counter view-points :)

I did forget about companions as well for a second there - that is a great point!

And this is true, perhaps things will shake out okay - I just am getting pretty angsty how hard everything seems to be getting hit in PTS and in my ability to mostly "enjoy" the challenges of ESO versus dreading them as a solo tank :joy:
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick reminder that PvP players don't want to ruin PvE, they want to tone down most oppressive things that unbalance PvP. Most of the playerbase wants them to use battle spirit more aggressively, or even have straight out separate effects for PvE and PvP on the sets.
  • Lord_Imrhial
    Lord_Imrhial
    ✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    Just a quick reminder that PvP players don't want to ruin PvE, they want to tone down most oppressive things that unbalance PvP. Most of the playerbase wants them to use battle spirit more aggressively, or even have straight out separate effects for PvE and PvP on the sets.

Oh for sure! This isn't meant to be bash or blame-game at all.

Everyone loves different stuff and I am glad ESO can cater to many types of gameplay - Its just an unfortunate side effect right now I think that the PvP-targeted changes are effecting PvE heavily too.
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    On magica for damage procset it is now something like +10k damage for 10 sec or in other words +1000 damage per second for 10 seconds with a chance(!) to repeat instantly. After new patch for most people that 10k tooltip will go around 5k or +500 damage per second. Or in overland instead of killing mods with procs and 1 skill it will be procs and 2 skills.
    Stamina for overland is in the same boat - slightly better as weapon damage and may be only here that higher penetration magica has, may make them equal. As for gear it is still advisable purple with golden weapons and weapon or spell damage enchantments on jewelry depending on what is build focused on. Also damage proc sets procs from weapon or spell damage - which is higher - in other words for someone who wants to experiment with sets in overland - toys have become even more.

With that said I'm not happy either but it is what it is...
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello friend! unfurtunaly since ever scrolls was made , pve balancing was never the main focus, Pvp balance seems more important because in the end of the day, endgame pve players can adapt :)

I like many others wish pvp and pve was separate, just imagine all the nice skills stam classes could have on pve or how amazing pve would feel for healers and tanks!

All this years many bad balance choices have happened that made a good ammount of players leave.

Either because tanks became worse , People grinding gear sets and used transmute geodes just for the balance team to do a 360 on the balance some weeks after , or because people grinded vma weapons and now perfect versions of them exist forcing people without orsinium to buy the dlc just to have those said weapons.

In the end of the day every decision that's made either keeps people playing or makes them leave the game.
    but i do hope people understand eso is a huge game with lots of amazing storys to explore, and people shouldnt go all hardcore on it :)
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At the end of the day, I just want to have fun and actually adventure with all sorts of random sets and want to remind everyone that while combat (and PvP balancing) is cool and needs some balances, I ultimately care more about the adventure-portion of ESO.
    The sad part is, competitive balance is still bad. It makes you wonder why they even bother. The appeal comes from open-ended gameplay more than competitive balance anyway (much like Skyrim), all they need to do for PvP and vet PvE is to kill the outliers that oppress the meta, but they never do, it's always some massive rework they never finish.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps