The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

"Companions can now Roll Dodge up to 2 times per fight..."

• phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even Delve bosses have the common sense to just walk out of a player's ultimate AOE circle.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So did a bit more testing. Again, from extreme range (50 - 70 meters), I told Bastian (flame staff) to attack a daedroth. He attacked the daedroth who moved into range and launched a fireball. It hit Bastian knocking him back, but as soon as he got up, he moved into the ring of stupid and started to burn. A bit later, the daedroth sent another fireball, Bastian gets up and walks back into the ring of stupid and starts burning. This time it took him below 50%, so he dodge-rolled backwards, a few seconds later he walks back into the ring of stupid and starts burning again.

It befuddled me how the Devs were originally like "Companions will benefit players who don't want to group up to try out group content" when Companions can't even manage one of the first skills that most players learn in group content: don't stand in stupid.

It's like ZOS literally designed that one damage dealer who insists that it would hurt their DPS if they move out of the fire and whines at the healer when they die.

I love this! 🤣
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So true, capping it seems like the worst bandaid job ever. I actually miss pets taking damage, clanfear could tank a little back then. They would run after my twilight too. Guess they knew that the twilight is a healer?

Having better enemy ai would make combat more fun. Not sure if possible due to not being able to see their code though.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is probably one of the worst updates in the entire history of the game lol.
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ringod123 wrote: »
    Another great example of ZOS horrible coding practices. Companions should obviously have stam/mag to draw from, allow them to dodge roll big attacks as long as they have the stam to do so.

No that means more lag because more loop checks in the code for hitboxes, regeneration timers, etc. The roll dodge should just be on a cooldown.
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that the Companions will become a romance toys and an another theme for comely near-erotic Twitter fan-arts after all, not an useful talking pets.
    Even Delve bosses have the common sense to just walk out of a player's ultimate AOE circle.
    Yes, I've noticed this for quite some time, but some people didn't believe me. Those damned mobs run away from my AoEs making them less useful.
    Edited by Ekzorka on May 18, 2021 4:25AM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is probably one of the worst updates in the entire history of the game lol.

The trial is pretty good, and the zone seems cool. I’m just pretending companions don’t exist at this point :D
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that would be great when you fight a worldboss for 10 min :pensive:
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just... Just code it so enemies avoid the avoidable ring-based AOEs. The number of unavoidable radial damage is so few that they could specifically code those instances into the AI of the NPCs. They could make these NPCs a teaching moment for newer players by having them do the basics of combat; avoid AOEs. Block or bash charged attacks and follow up with a heavy attack to knock them down. As they are now, they will only confuse new players and make players with any amount of experience laugh as they die quickly.
    Edited by merpins on May 18, 2021 8:13AM
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Fuxo wrote: »
    I am afraid ZOS will never implement companion positioning and movement correctly.
    I would so love to be able to position my companion.

I have posted about this elsewhere on here, but a previous MMO-RPG had various mechanics that allowed positioning to be tactical. In that one, I would work to position my pet behind the mobs, moving as necessary to keep it there. I could also use their positioning system to split groups of mobs, tank adds until I was ready to handle it, etc.

Based on various mobs in ESO, I suspect they have a similar positioning system. I say this due to the way ESO implemented the rings of stupid and directional damage. Because of that, having the ability to position our companions could actually make them useful for more than taking dirt naps.

• Tyreal1974
    Tyreal1974
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why should we be surprised that they put a band-aid on a coding issue. Don't forget light attack weaving went from an unintended "bug" to an "exciting" gameplay feature when coders could not figure out a fix.
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stefj68 wrote: »
    that would be great when you fight a worldboss for 10 min :pensive:

Well if you can figure out how to kill the WB in only 10 minutes while having to res your companion after every red circle, then you are a better player than I. B)
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So assuming they havent solved the original problem;

Companions will now burn both their rolls right at the opening of a fight, then not be able to roll anymore.

... Why not just remove companions ability to roll then?
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Companions will now burn both their rolls right at the opening of a fight, then not be able to roll anymore.
    Not based on my testing. Please note that I was not doing intense fights, but it seemed like the roll-dodge was on a cool-down.

• Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The trial is pretty good, and the zone seems cool. I’m just pretending companions don’t exist at this point :D

I mean, if it wasn't a full on chapter for the price of a full game i would be indifferent but to pay for only a trial and small zone with a "feature" so useless you would've thought it would've been added as standard to the base game like 7 years ago it seems like a total waste.
    Edited by Extinct_Solo_Player on May 18, 2021 5:43PM