Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Guards are over performing

Nutrone
Nutrone
✭✭
With the crazy increase to overall damage across the board this patch, and a severe reduction to a lot of resistances, guards are over performing in PVP. Like honestly, guard debuffs need to be adjusted so that it's more reflective of the high damage game play in Cyrodiil right now. Way too often am I finding myself struggling fighting players at a resource because of guard debuffs and damage. And don't even get me started on the million negates that get dropped. Like seriously how is a DK guard dropping a negate?

*EDIT: This post isn't about the difficulty of claiming resources, thats fairly simple. The post is about fighting players at a resource or any place with guards, the advantage the guards give the players is way too significant.
Edited by Nutrone on April 13, 2021 11:21PM
  • xNepo
    xNepo
    ✭✭
    As intended. It has been like that for quite a while. Priotitize menders>mage
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you playing in a no CP campaign?

Because i soloed several resources in Gray Host just fine and didn't notice any more difficulty than before.
    idea.gif

• Nutrone
    Nutrone
    ✭✭
    No its not an issue of clearing the guards themselves, but dealing with players who camp guards. It's an even bigger issue in this current patch as the 30% damage taken increase debuff makes you super squishy while fighting these players.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t know why guards CC its actually beyond infuriating getting CCd almost on cooldown by guards when most people don’t even do it. Fracture, silence and particularly the templar bubble are annoying and should all be stopped.
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nutrone wrote: »
    No its not an issue of clearing the guards themselves, but dealing with players who camp guards. It's an even bigger issue in this current patch as the 30% damage taken increase debuff makes you super squishy while fighting these players.

Yeah, even base guards are dangerous this way.

That's like getting hit by a pre-patch Necro Colossus.

I ate a 19k incap with that debuff on me. :neutral:
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They aren't strong on their own, but they can make some decent allies when you're outnumbered. I like them being strong enough to help in a fight, they could even be a bit stronger, otherwise they're just taking up space in Cyrodiil.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not that difficult even in no cp to solo an uncontested resource. A little harder if you’re magicka.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • deleted210809-001958
    imo those guards are one of the sources of cyrodil lags.there are some things, that i experience every time when cleaning resources:
    - heavy/light attacks doesn't hit them most of the time
    - when they stun me with bubble and i press W (forward) stun just disappear but i also don't get cc immunity buff. and that can repeat every second.
    - when i catch crystal fragment (from the mage on the tower) into block, i get damage from it and stun after putting block off. when i kill that mage, crystal fragment can shoot from his/her corpse 2-3 seconds later
    - when they pull me with chains and i do a break free, my character continue to slowly move into guard's direction without ability to do anything but getting hits into the face from other guardians
    - sometimes i cast a skill, Action Duration Reminder shows me duration, but nothing happes. for example: i cast sorcerers storm form, addon shows me duration of it, but my character doesn't get visual effect and there is no major resolve in buffs list.
    - "hit and reset" mechanic. not a bug, but annoying
    - "heal me/i need aid/i'm hurt"; sound from templar's black sphere. also not bugs, but every time i hear it i just want to throw my headphones into the window
    Edited by deleted210809-001958 on March 31, 2021 4:21PM
  • UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guards should be strong. We already have the sheeps to kill fast and easy.
  • PirateShaped
    Those upstairs Bleakers guards show up for their shift when they damn well feel like it, am I right?
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would be ok with shortening the tethers they have. Sometimes it's just zig zagging guards with them returning to post after one hit. I am jealous of the frags they have lol.

I wonder if fewer, but more tough/difficult guards would help lag.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So now nerf guards? LOL.

Maybe if ZOS wasn't convinced to over-nerf our abilities and classes, then the guards wouldn't seem to be "over-performing"
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So now nerf guards? LOL.

Maybe if ZOS wasn't convinced to over-nerf our abilities and classes, then the guards wouldn't seem to be "over-performing"

Yep, they nerf players' ability to deal with guard stacks by disabling offensive and defensive proc sets, but wonder why players are huddling together in keeps more waiting for the action to come to them?

This gear confiscation for balancing purposes is a joke. I have never really played a sorcerer in this game, but I made one just to be top dog in this no proc mess. I was capturing keeps last night in a PUG of 8 sorcs and 1 warden tank. And no, I'm not kidding. It's the new meta.

Edited by Jaraal on March 31, 2021 7:31PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I never played no-CP Cyrodiil. I'm fine to solo rss in CP Cyrodiil.

I want PvP instead of PvE in PvP zones.

Stop making overly PvE oriented mechanics in PvP zones!
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed I have to really give it my all while taking on resources this patch as the guards deal a TON of damage! Tempted at times to slot the Vampire stun on my magDK when going to resources solo since knocking a large group of them out increases survivability by a lot. I typically found having a long heal over time like Radiating Regeneration helps as well when taking on the guards since it helps fight all the negative effects they place on you, which is where most of their damage is. Guess a purge could work to, but I don't have one.... a cheap one anyway.
    Edited by Vevvev on April 1, 2021 5:04PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently I've begun to suspect that NPCs are the cause of Cyrodiil's lag.
    In retrospect, it was a place with a large number of NPCs nearby whenever there was a terrible lag or the line was disconnected.

I often see Guards NPCs confused back and forth.
    In other words, the server is looping through that process.
    The old Cyrodiil had a lot of animal and enemy NPCs, but it was removed to reduce the load on the server.
    From this it is clear that NPCs put a load on the server.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently I've begun to suspect that NPCs are the cause of Cyrodiil's lag.
    In retrospect, it was a place with a large number of NPCs nearby whenever there was a terrible lag or the line was disconnected.

I often see Guards NPCs confused back and forth.
    In other words, the server is looping through that process.
    The old Cyrodiil had a lot of animal and enemy NPCs, but it was removed to reduce the load on the server.
    From this it is clear that NPCs put a load on the server.

You can add pets to that list, watching sorc pets doing laps to and from the sorc and the target wouldn’t be helping, blastbones are another big factor, in the heavy lag they are summoned and often run around aimlessly before just disintegrating and never hitting the target. I think it would help if pets had their mechanics changed in PvP completely.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing op hasn't been pvping for very long, because I felt the same way when I first stepped into Cyro lmao
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few issues with guards and all of them are due to the fact that they are deadlier than most players.

Their ability to pull people out if stealth shouldn't be better than a player.

The base damage of their attacks shouldn't be more than the same attack performed by a player.

Their CCs are a little ridiculous. I don't mind the negates but those bubbles from the mage guards are obscene.

But my biggest issue is their auto healing. As someone who plays ranged most of the time it's basically impossible or highly time consumig to attack a resource myself because just a few hits from the mage guards can wipe me. So why can't I attack them from afar with focussed aim or siege?

Run to the top of the tower. Kill the mage guard. Plop down a lancer and fire in the flag. Great damage but then every single one of them just waves their arms and heals to 100 UNLESS someone else is down there attacking them. This is stupid.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Vetixio
    Vetixio
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 2 worst things about guards is their negate spam (not a problem for Elder Stamina Online) and their 3 mile detection range. Although this all could have changed as I have not logged in for like 3 months.
    Pìerre - Breton Vampire Templar, Grand Overlord. Erádàn - Bosmer Templar, Warlord. Vyríc - Imperial Vampire Necromancer, Centurion. Sybìl - Breton Sorcerer, Centurion. Erìch - Nord Vampire Nightblade, Corporal. Njàll - Nord Templar, Lieutenant. Elánnà - Bosmer Warden, Veteran. Laquì - Redguard Vampire Nightblade, Corporal. Noveni Dres - Dunmer Sorcerer, Lieutenant. Marìnus - Imperial Warden, Veteran. Arvyn Indoril - Dunmer Templar, Sergeant. Rósalyn - Breton Sorcerer, Corporal. Emelîn - Bosmer Dragonknight, Corporal. Astaroth Indoril - Dunmer Sorcerer.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vetixio wrote: »
    The 2 worst things about guards is their negate spam (not a problem for Elder Stamina Online) and their 3 mile detection range. Although this all could have changed as I have not logged in for like 3 months.

And what's ironic is that even the dragonknight tank guards can cast the sorcerer's Negate.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guards definitely overperform when there is desync or lag.

Don't forget they also have old eclipse still and can still disorient you.
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone wrote about lag being caused by npcs. I have noticed this too while taking resources alone. It can be extremely laggy with no other players around and not in prime time. Imho, the idea is worth investigation.

I have no problem with the resource guards, other than the lag. But just yesterday i thought someone was sniping me while taking keep flags, so i run upstairs all imma kill the sniper and it was the two archer npcs on the inner wall lol. They did hit quite hard with their bow skills. I have never noticed that before.
  • wazzz56
    wazzz56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buff guards and nerf the PVdoorers at the same time :)
    GM Tig Ole Critties ps5 NA small scale PvP guild

"After a hard week of farming, or a long night of being nagged by your wife, there is nothing better than going out for a bit of a fish."
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the guards did not have a certain strength, there would be no defender advantage at resources
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luede wrote: »
    if the guards did not have a certain strength, there would be no defender advantage at resources

I think the resource guards are mostly okay. It's the million guards inside keeps.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could go for just toning down their CC and negate spam. CC spam basically hurts friendly.players who need to time it, and negate is just so lopsided against mag to have guards spamming it. Other than those annoyances; they're fine.
    Edited by techyeshic on May 18, 2021 10:18AM
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    techyeshic wrote: »
    I could go for just toning down their CC and negate spam. CC spam basically hurts friendly.players who need to time it, and negate is just so lopsided against mag to have guards spamming it. Other than those annoyances; they're fine.

This. Guards that take a while to kill or have varying mechanics that need dealt with or approached with strategy(eg. what order you kill certain types of guards), are fine, welcome even. But when every guard has some form of CC and they all are spamming them so you end up stun-locked without stamina in a negate bubble on a mag toon, then they're just plain frustrating. Limit which guards have CC and what type of CC those guards have, and make it so they aren't casted as often, and things would be fine. If need be, compensate by buffing their health a bit.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, can we talk about how stupid it is that mage guards spam silver shards?

I think guards inside keeps could use a little nerf and in response buff siege being used to defend. Actual players should have a better chance at defending than currently exists.
  • Ahk1lleez
    Ahk1lleez
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand the thought of nerfing guards because Cyrodiil is meant to be pvp...but to me this would lead to more harm than good for all of the servers. As it stands now, the guards hardly even slow down these certain factions that tend to zerg down the lowest populated faction in the off hours. I am of the belief that the number of guards in a keep and their strength should be directly tied to the population count of a faction at any given time. If this were to happen I'd be open to getting rid of the low population bonus scoring altogether. And to add to this...in order to make zerging down the lowest populated faction more difficult...have guards that actively come out of the keep and search for siege when a keep flags which spawn on a timed interval. The lower the population count of the faction whose keep is being attacked the number and strength of the guards coming out goes up.

Now resource guards are another story altogether. If we would see a significant positive change in server performance I would welcome getting rid of them altogether. It seems rather pointless to have resources guarded at all times. Especially when a keep goes under attack. They're just gonna sit on a resource and watch the keep flip? I mean come on now...it makes no sense at all.
    Edited by Ahk1lleez on May 20, 2021 4:10PM