Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rapport - Mirri and Bastian - what increases it and decreases it - list here

• Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a Bastian Increase the first time I visited Arteum with him (had to walk a few feet away from the wayshrine). (subsequent visits did nothing)

I got a Bastian Increase when I came across the "random encounter" of two bandits fighting a Mercenary protecting a Trader and her horse. Once I killed the two bandits I got the increase. I've done this multiple times. (I'll attach a screen cap in case my description is bad).

I got a Mirri Decrease the first time I visited the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary with her. I summoned her after I did a Black Sacrament and like 10 seconds later I got the Decrease message. (I haven't tried a second visit)

Screen Cap of random overland encounter that increased Bastian's Rapport
    ul8jv7ligec0.png

Lots of new stuff to contribute. Thanks for this!
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I got a decrease from Mirri and a comment about her dislike of boats from porting to the exterior of Snugpod. I was very puzzled. (Snugpod, seriously? That's totally landbound.)
    Ha, getting Snugpod as well for her boat issues. Added.

• Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    Really insightful stuff, thanks! :smile:

I think the issue with the Rapport system is that it has internal cooldowns and secret counters or some such. :confused: Too much randomness. It's a totally confusing system (as we can see from your failed attempts to recreate rapport gains and losses - it's just unpredictable and arbitrary).

I had to read 20 books for the rapport to trigger for example. But the first time I walk to the Docks, Mirri hated it. Another time she didn't even comment or dislike the boats. This is nonsense. If a friend of mine hates snakes, she'll like it the first time I kill a snake for her. And if I dedicate a week of my life to decorating the world with slain snake guts as a tribute to her, she'll like me exponentially lot lot lot more. Not like, okay we did something fun once, but if you want to do fun stuff with me again I suddenly don't care anymore.

I hope they just change the whole system to be more like SWTOR where companion likes/dislikes are distinct and consistent.
    Hmm, I find everything fairly consistent myself. All the rapport increases seem to have a five minute cooldown, whereas most of the rapport decreases do not have a cooldown at all except for bug catching on Mirri, which seems to be a 5 minute cooldown. Then there are outliers like going to particular places for their first time, which only seems to give the rapport increase/decrease once and is not repeatable. To me, Mirri's boat issues seem to be an obvious bug, but we'll see.

I can see why the rapport increases have a short cooldown. If they didn't people would just spam that activity and be at full rapport in no time.

Edited by Cireous on May 5, 2021 2:46AM
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    bluebird wrote: »
    Really insightful stuff, thanks! :smile:

I think the issue with the Rapport system is that it has internal cooldowns and secret counters or some such. :confused: Too much randomness. It's a totally confusing system (as we can see from your failed attempts to recreate rapport gains and losses - it's just unpredictable and arbitrary).

I had to read 20 books for the rapport to trigger for example. But the first time I walk to the Docks, Mirri hated it. Another time she didn't even comment or dislike the boats. This is nonsense. If a friend of mine hates snakes, she'll like it the first time I kill a snake for her. And if I dedicate a week of my life to decorating the world with slain snake guts as a tribute to her, she'll like me exponentially lot lot lot more. Not like, okay we did something fun once, but if you want to do fun stuff with me again I suddenly don't care anymore.

I hope they just change the whole system to be more like SWTOR where companion likes/dislikes are distinct and consistent.
    Hmm, I find everything fairly consistent myself. All the rapport increases seem to have a five minute cooldown, whereas most of the rapport decreases do not have a cooldown at all except for bug catching on Mirri, which seems to be a 5 minute cooldown. Then there are outliers like going to particular places for their first time, which only seems to give the rapport increase/decrease once and is not repeatable. To me, Mirri's boat issues seem to be an obvious bug, but we'll see.
    I mean, what you describe is basically the definition of inconsistent (though perhaps because I played games with much better companion approval systems that's why this seems like a disappointing mess to me). If there is a cooldown for rapport gains, there should be an equal cooldown for rapport losses too. And what you consider bugs, to me seem oversight/inconsistencies - but we'll see. I don't want to be right and actually hope they are not intended, and will be fixed.
  • Jaddman
    Jaddman
    ✭✭✭
    Mirri likes when you kill Goblins and Giant Snakes.

I've consistently got rapport increase when killing goblins in Blackwood, but also tested it by killing goblins in Stonefalls, which also triggered the rapport increase.

I've killed Giant Snakes in Deshaan and that also increased rapport.

Obviously there is some kind of cooldown on these triggers so attempting a goblin murder-spree won't speed up the process, but killing a couple of goblins and snakes every 10 minutes or so should consistently get you rapport increase.
  • rei91
    rei91
    ✭✭✭
    I tried harvesting runes many many times with Bastian, in different zones too, and it never worked.

He does occasionally like opening treasure chests, happened few times (in different situations too, so I'm sure it wasn't something else).

Also - I spent like few hours in one go with him, received more than hundred rapport increases (mostly from books and cultists), but in the menu rapport level didn't flinch. I'm sure it's still as greenish yellow slightly above medium "friendly" as it was at the beginning. Is it like this only for me or intended to be extremely slow?

Edit for minor things
    Edited by rei91 on May 4, 2021 6:27PM
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    offtopic: Mirri & torchBUGs: Zenimax provides players with a big hint - stop catching bugs, guys!
    PC EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    offtopic: Mirri & torchBUGs: Zenimax provides players with a big hint - stop catching bugs, guys!

"Sorry, Mirri, I really need these torchbug thoraxes for my Detect pots and I can't afford cornflower ones!"
    Edited by VaranisArano on May 4, 2021 9:53PM
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaddman wrote: »
    Mirri likes when you kill Goblins and Giant Snakes.

I've consistently got rapport increase when killing goblins in Blackwood, but also tested it by killing goblins in Stonefalls, which also triggered the rapport increase.

I've killed Giant Snakes in Deshaan and that also increased rapport.

Obviously there is some kind of cooldown on these triggers so attempting a goblin murder-spree won't speed up the process, but killing a couple of goblins and snakes every 10 minutes or so should consistently get you rapport increase.
    Nice! Snakes and Goblins are in the mix this patch.

• Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rei91 wrote: »
    I tried harvesting runes many many times with Bastian, in different zones too, and it never worked.

He does occasionally like opening treasure chests, happened few times (in different situations too, so I'm sure it wasn't something else).

Also - I spent like few hours in one go with him, received more than hundred rapport increases (mostly from books and cultists), but in the menu rapport level didn't flinch. I'm sure it's still as greenish yellow slightly above medium "friendly" as it was at the beginning. Is it like this only for me or intended to be extremely slow?

Edit for minor things
    Shame about the runestones, you're right, they don't seem to be working after the patch. I also cannot get a rapport increase for visiting crafting stations anymore. Treasure chests seem to be a new thing. I have spent most of the day trying to figure out the cooldown on these things but I can't seem to nail it. It does NOT seem consistent: 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 40 minutes... diminishing returns? I can't figure it out. I thought that maybe, instead, it was like, every 3 or 4 chests you loot, but that's not consistent either. Kind of frustrating.

Yeh, that rapport spectrum doesn't seem to budge much. I really hope they take a look at it and change it.

Edited by Cireous on May 5, 2021 8:13AM
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    For Mirri it looks like the most efficient way to grind rapport will be excavating. I get pops after every one. Even if I get that rare time when the mound I scried is the same one I just excavated.
  • vailjohn_ESO
    vailjohn_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I got an Increase with Mirri for the first time I turned in an "Ashlander Relic Preserver" Daily Quest (the one from Numani-Rasi). I got the increase the first time I did this quest on each of my characters but not on subsequent days (so far). I also have not gotten any increase from any of the other Vvardenfell daily quests.

Also with regard to snakes, the small "critter" version of snakes that you might kill just to get guts for fishing also count. But I spent an hour farming large snakes and can't figure out the cooldown. Sometimes it was as little as 2 minutes, sometimes it was 8-10 minutes or longer. Maybe it's just RNG with them.

PC NA : 2013 Beta Tester : Altoholic
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I gathered a butterfly, Mirri said something about "if you're going to squash bugs, at least let it be fetcherflies." I haven't been to squash a fetcherfly.
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    anadandy wrote: »
    It was this one: Namira's Perversions: Rescue captives and interrupt a witch's ritual.
    K, I'll keep taking the quests until I get that one to verify. Perhaps someone else can verify as well.

Interesting. We had to rescue captives and disrupt rituals to unlock him. Same for Mirri. I wonder if she'll also like that.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hope in the q4 DLC we get an "evil" companion, one who is not against us using the Blade of Woe, a Necromancer companion who enjoys watching us do "evil" things and hates temples but loves Vampires and Werewolves and using Necromancy.
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rapport increases with Bastian when we kill off the cultists at the start of the dolmen, the ones offering the blood sacrifice.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cyberjanet wrote: »
    Rapport increases with Bastian when we kill off the cultists at the start of the dolmen, the ones offering the blood sacrifice.
    Awesome, added :star:

• DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Confession: I don’t even care anymore what raises or lowers my rapport with them. The fact that they are dead most of the time has cratered their rapport with *me.*
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Psijic Portals now give rapport with Bastian. I'm thinking he maybe was never supposed to be into regular old runestone nodes, but was meant to get the rapport from the portals, instead. He's super excited about them, now.
  • HumbleThaumaturge
    HumbleThaumaturge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lost rapport with Mirri on several occasions simply by being in a city not doing much. Does she hate just wandering around a city (maybe crafting, or checking skill trees, or playing with Companion UI, or reading patch notes on a side monitor), when she thinks we should be out having Grand Adventures instead?
  • Kelinmiriel
    Kelinmiriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirri's incorrect boat triggers appear to be fixed with the patch they did today! She's not losing rapport or making bizarre comments about being seasick after porting to the landlocked homes in Elden Root (Snugpod) or Rimmen (Sugar Bowl Suite).
    Event Tracker addon (PC NA/EU)
    Helps you keep track of your Event Tickets, so you don't miss any. Double XP on events is PASSIVE now!!
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri's incorrect boat triggers appear to be fixed with the patch they did today! She's not losing rapport or making bizarre comments about being seasick after porting to the landlocked homes in Elden Root (Snugpod) or Rimmen (Sugar Bowl Suite).
    Well, that's good to hear :relaxed:
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not seeing rapport for Bastian for treasure/boss chests any longer. Let me know if you are experiencing otherwise. Crossing it off the list for now.
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear Addon authors, Dear Zenimax (@ZOS)
    how do i get numerical rapport (as current indicator movement is barely noticeable)?

write /script d(GetActiveCompanionRapport())

is that even possible to add numbers to the rapport bar?
    PC EU
  • vailjohn_ESO
    vailjohn_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Got an Increase with Mirri the first time I entered the Brass Fortress with her. And I could get this increase on each of my characters the first time they entered the Brass Fortress with Mirri summoned. There was no increase for visiting the Clockwork City "overland", just the Brass Fortress.
    PC NA : 2013 Beta Tester : Altoholic
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got an Increase with Mirri the first time I entered the Brass Fortress with her. And I could get this increase on each of my characters the first time they entered the Brass Fortress with Mirri summoned. There was no increase for visiting the Clockwork City "overland", just the Brass Fortress.
    I couldn't recreate this at first by just wayshrining there, but walking out of the Brass Fortress into the rest of the zone and then going back in, I got the Rapport increase and her dialogue discussing her interest in it.

Good find!

• HumbleThaumaturge
    HumbleThaumaturge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirri's rapport has increased twice from psijic portals (glowing enchanting nodes).
  • HumbleThaumaturge
    HumbleThaumaturge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lost rapport with Mirri on several occasions simply by being in a city not doing much. Does she hate just wandering around a city (maybe crafting, or checking skill trees, or playing with Companion UI, or reading patch notes on a side monitor), when she thinks we should be out having Grand Adventures instead?

During initial Update 30 testing with my North American characters a couple of weeks ago, Mirri lost Rapport when I went into a city and spent too much time. But in the past few days with my EU character (PTS PC v7.0.4), Mirri never lost rapport while wandering around a city. So, I don't really know what's on Mirri's mind, or not, about cities.
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not had Mirri show distaste in gathering flying insects and I've ran around looting them trying to get it to trigger and it has not. Not sure if that was patched out or bugged. (pun intended)

I did however get both of them to disapprove very vocally (not with the rapport decrease indicator on the lower left screen) that they do not like me killing critters. I had mirri call me a cruel fetcher for killing them.
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • HumbleThaumaturge
    HumbleThaumaturge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shimmer wrote: »
    I have not had Mirri show distaste in gathering flying insects and I've ran around looting them trying to get it to trigger and it has not. Not sure if that was patched out or bugged. (pun intended)

I did however get both of them to disapprove very vocally (not with the rapport decrease indicator on the lower left screen) that they do not like me killing critters. I had mirri call me a cruel fetcher for killing them.

Today (EU characters, PC, v7.0.4) I pressed E to use a Wayshrine and accidentally pulled the wings off of a butterfly. Sadly, Mirri disapproved, and I lost Rapport, and received a verbal reprimand. [Hangs head in shame.]