The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO needs a new currency aka dungeon token.

• nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »
    Farming dungeon gear in ESO is easy as it can be compared to other MMO's out there. You don't have to run the veteran version of the dungeon, in many instances you don't even need a full group because they are solo-able and on top of that, once you get the item, you can just transmute everything to perfect trait and then reproduce unlimited copies of that item for all your twinks and on top of that: noon really *needs* any of the drops to be competitive, especially newcomers. There are easy workarounds for everything and those "rare" drops won't affect your DPS or overall performance at all.
    Also, please stop using the narrative of "600 plus times". Noone needs that many runs for an item. Most people just get bored after a couple of runs and get the subective impression that they must have been running this hundreds of times, which does not bring it closer to the truth.

I like how easily you dismiss all the efforts many people made to get the items they wanted, and their reasons to get them. For some sets there are really no workarounds because not everything revolves around PvE DPS. Like, you really can't substitute Ice Furnace with anything else for a PvP magden if you want that particular proc, and I had over 100 runs between U26 and U28 before anyone in my group(!) got the shock staff. While 600 runs may seem like an overstatement, I have no doubt that some people experienced this kind of bad luck. You can't just say "it was a couple of runs, you're just imagining it was hundreds" just because you had it easier than the rest of us.
    Yes, doing something for the first time is always the hardest part. Still, ESO makes it pretty easy for players to get what they want if they have a little bit of patience and determination.
    I don't need to google about farming medusa staff. I've done it. It took me a total of 19 hours of solo farming.

>a little bit of patience and determination
    >19 hours of solo farming

So you've spent half a work week to get something that, in your own words, you don't really *need* to be competitive?
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear is tradable among party members.

Go in with some friends.
    Trade with them for the gear you need.
    Done.

That is how I got the bow from vet maelstrom arena, plus some other gear. I don’t even run dungeons that often. I think I did the dungeon twice on vet and I had everything I wanted.

EDIT: Sorry! I meant dragon star, I got my “arenas” mixed up.
    Edited by BlueRaven on May 12, 2021 5:55PM
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

Go in with some friends.
    Done.

That is how I got the bow from vet maelstrom arena, plus some other gear. I don’t even run dungeons that often. I think I did the dungeon twice on vet and I had everything I wanted.

I would love to know how you got the vet maelstrom bow by trading with a party member.

Not that the bow itself is particularly hard to get but from a party member? now that's something.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a version of the Golden in the undaunted enclave every weekend. Handful of random weapons and jewelry in exchange for keys.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say, put an altar at the beginning of every dungeon, an altar where u can sacrifice 15 purple or 30 blue dungeon weapons to create a specific one, no need to add more currencies.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We don't need a new token system for gear. Just increase the drop rate for items in a dungeon/trial/arena that players don't have. It would be pretty easy to check a player's gear stats for a given content (data that already exists) then dynamically adjust the odds to be significantly more favorable to those items.

Whatever the case, designing content that players may run 100's of times and have a desired piece of gear still not drop is just lazy programming and disrespectful of player time and effort. I don't care how many MMO's do it. It's a shameful practice that breeds nothing by cynicism.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, they could tie it in with the new Endeavour system... But only for dungeons you have completed.
    Edited by Everstorm on May 12, 2021 3:21PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would be nice if these tokens were tradeable. I'd definitely pay millions if I'd never have to step one foot in a dungeon again just to get gear for a PVP build. I'd rather pay someone who absolutely loves PVE content, and wants to earn gold doing something they already do for free.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A token system that is the same for all dungeons would be a bad idea.

You'd either need a token for each dungeon(set) or use Undaunted keys.

They could also change the loot table of bosses so that all bosses in the dungeon have the chance to drop a weapon.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Sju
    Sju
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sure, why not, lets just be like Destiny 2 and add another currency onto the pile.
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    jm42 wrote: »
    PigofSteel wrote: »
    I have played since 2014 and i still didnt get bsw inferno...

me too. 2500 hours + on Steam and doing CoA and Arx hundreds of times with rnd daily, pledges and months of specifically farming - and no bsw fire staff and medusa fire staff. my collection from this 2 dungeons is full, lacking just this 2 items. So, drop rates are completely honest, yes?

I got that Medusa Inferno staff after maybe seven runs.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    A token system that is the same for all dungeons would be a bad idea.

You'd either need a token for each dungeon(set) or use Undaunted keys.

They could also change the loot table of bosses so that all bosses in the dungeon have the chance to drop a weapon.

They could use keys. Add weapons to the appropriate quest giver similar to shoulders. It would still be grindy and you would have to be judicious about what you spent them on, but you'd have the option to mitigate some of the RNG.

I remember when shoulders were all pooled together by quest giver. When they changed it to the current system the cost went up. I'd expect the same treatment for weapons if they chose to go that route.

• Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farming dungeon gear in ESO is easy as it can be compared to other MMO's out there.

Medusa weapons, BSW inferno says hello o/
    Farming dungeon weapons can be grind of unfortunate proportions. It took me two years from the release of One Tamriel to get the BSW inferno.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    Thinking about it rather than a new currency I would make a daily challenge available for each and every dungeon, arena and trial you can take - master of the obvious moment - once a day on each one of them.

The challenge would be different every day from a pool of seven in a predictable rotation and two out of the seven would require less skill than the rest to complete.

If one/one's party successfully completes the challenge a vendor pops up at the end of the dungeon/arena/trial who enables purchasing ONE 'bind on pickup' item from the pool that pertains to it.

This makes 'working towards a goal' a predictable, achievable affair with a clear indication of time/effort investment vs reward as opposed to a lottery.

This is an interesting concept a Deadric merchant not bound by space or time. Don't see ZOS being able to do something so interesting with such replay value. Best I see is a token system with a pretty bad grind that most of the people here opposed to the system would sympathize with the people who wanted it.
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this idea was to be implemented, I don’t see the need to make a new currency. Undaunted keys would work fine, and the Undaunted quest givers could be modified to sell loot boxes for dungeon gear like they do monster shoulders. I could see something similar added for arena gear as well - not the end reward weapons, but the other five-piece sets that drop there.

I could also see the possibility of including selections of dungeon weapons weekly at the golden vendor in Cyrodiil, along with the rotating jewelry selections.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RageKing wrote: »
    using undaunted keys to unlock gear would suffice. i have hundreds of keys but got all the shoulders i need. so exchanging keys for dungeon gear would make up for the horrible rng for some weapons.

This would be a good only if it is not giving you RNG drops. It needs to give you the specific item you want.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    using undaunted keys to unlock gear would suffice. i have hundreds of keys but got all the shoulders i need. so exchanging keys for dungeon gear would make up for the horrible rng for some weapons.

This would be a good only if it is not giving you RNG drops. It needs to give you the specific item you want.

For about 100 keys.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Ceejengine
    Ceejengine
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. 100%

In fact, everything in the game that operates based on RNG should have a way to guarantee players receive the item if they dedicate enough time to the farm.

Especially because of how absolutely vital set pieces are to your ability to function in the game.

I could understand if gear sets operated like old class tier sets in WoW, where they added a minor bonus effect that, while helpful, was not necessary for your class to function.

In ESO, you are absolutely dependent on a gear set to succeed. And gear sets that drop based on RNG and cannot be traded are extraordinarily frustrating to get a hold of.

I'm very fortunate. I got my BSW inferno the fourth or fifth time I ran CoA1. I got Medusa's inferno + lightning back to back. My first maelstrom run I got the ice staff, then 2x Daggers, then inferno.

If you're not that lucky, you literally cannot play the game the way you want to. Your build literally will not function correctly.

I'll say I enjoy farming dungeons for gear. But I'm a tank. And even I absolutely hate queuing for the same dungeon for 84th time. Especially when there's 4 people all committed to giving this 1 single item to our DPS friend.

Add to that weapons and jewels only drop on the last boss. Meaning your entire group are just wading through 3+ bosses for a shot at 1 item.

Of course you can chest farm, but that's a workaround mechanic.

Each boss of each dungeon should drop something like "Undaunted Mettle". A normal run should grant like 15, a veteran run 25, and vet HM 40.

Each item should cost like 150 Mettle and it allows you the ability to directly purchase whatever you need.

Then boom, you maintain the need to farm but also provide people some alleviation for grind exhaustion.

OR if you want to force people to farm the dungeon where the item is located, you can have set pieces give "Essence of X" when deconstructed.

Then at certain crafting benches around the world you can spend x Essence of Burning Spellweave to craft whatever item you want.
    Edited by Ceejengine on May 12, 2021 5:05PM
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭

For about 100 keys.

Oof, Quite vindictive aren't you?
    I'm not giving 1 key above 25 for a random trait weapon.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    Ceejengine wrote: »
    Yes. 100%

In fact, everything in the game that operates based on RNG should have a way to guarantee players receive the item if they dedicate enough time to the farm.

Especially because of how absolutely vital set pieces are to your ability to function in the game.

I could understand if gear sets operated like old class tier sets in WoW, where they added a minor bonus effect that, while helpful, was not necessary for your class to function.

In ESO, you are absolutely dependent on a gear set to succeed. And gear sets that drop based on RNG and cannot be traded are extraordinarily frustrating to get a hold of.

I'm very fortunate. I got my BSW inferno the fourth or fifth time I ran CoA1. I got Medusa's inferno + lightning back to back. My first maelstrom run I got the ice staff, then 2x Daggers, then inferno.

If you're not that lucky, you literally cannot play the game the way you want to. Your build literally will not function correctly.

I'll say I enjoy farming dungeons for gear. But I'm a tank. And even I absolutely hate queuing for the same dungeon for 84th time. Especially when there's 4 people all committed to giving this 1 single item to our DPS friend.

Add to that weapons and jewels only drop on the last boss. Meaning your entire group are just wading through 3+ bosses for a shot at 1 item.

Of course you can chest farm, but that's a workaround mechanic.

Each boss of each dungeon should drop something like "Undaunted Mettle". A normal run should grant like 15, a veteran run 25, and vet HM 40.

Each item should cost like 150 Mettle and it allows you the ability to directly purchase whatever you need.

Then boom, you maintain the need to farm but also provide people some alleviation for grind exhaustion.

OR if you want to force people to farm the dungeon where the item is located, you can have set pieces give "Essence of X" when deconstructed.

Then at certain crafting benches around the world you can spend x Essence of Burning Spellweave to craft whatever item you want.

The idea is pretty good. If you don't mind my asking why 15,25,40 and 150 and not 1,2,3 and 10. I've seen these number bloat (can't think for a better term) before. What is the reasoning behind it?
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ksbrugh wrote: »
    A dungeon token would be something you would be rewarded after you complete a dungeon. And then when you accumulate 200 or 300 whatever ZOS sees fit you can exchange that for one armor piece or weapon piece from any of the dungeons that you have already successfully completed. So that way the unbelievable grind to get say a dagger and running the dungeon 600 plus times and still no dagger would be and feel much more rewarding. I know I know it's supposed to be an MMO grind heaven, but I'm just giving a suggestion for the newcomers.
    Zos would not have to do it with trials or arenas that is unless they wanted to.

I like it, I've had to run several 700 times plus.
  • Thechuckage
    Thechuckage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Go in with some friends.
    Done.

That necessitates the gear dropping in the first place. Kinda hard to trade what doesn't drop.

I have many, many questions.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kirgeo wrote: »

For about 100 keys.

Oof, Quite vindictive aren't you?
    I'm not giving 1 key above 25 for a random trait weapon.

Not at all.
    But is this supposed to be a backstop for bad luck, or a complete replacement of the gear grind system?

Think about it.

If you are doing normal non-DLC pledges, you get 1 key each per day. That would be 50 days to get the exact weapon you want, if you are just running them on one character.

If you are doing all 3 pledges on normal, then that's 3 keys and 33 days.

If you are doing non-DLC vet HM and the DLC on normal, that's 5 keys, so 20 days.

If you are doing non DLC vet HM on 2 characters, that's 8 keys, so 12 days.

Most people will mix and match depending on which dungeons are on that day, so it would take you on average a month to get the weapon you need, which then gets added to the sticker book and you never have to worry about it again.

And trait really doesn't matter anymore because you can transmute or reconstruct with the trait you want, whichever is cheaper.
    The Moot Councillor
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Go in with some friends.
    Done.

I would love to know how you got the vet maelstrom bow by trading with a party member.

Not that the bow itself is particularly hard to get but from a party member? now that's something.

@ApoAlaia Sorry! I meant Dragonstar, I got my arenas mixed up.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Go in with some friends.
    Done.

@ApoAlaia Sorry! I meant Dragonstar, I got my arenas mixed up.

That makes more sense :smile:

• Jacozilla
    Jacozilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They kinda did this in limited way so in some respects at least a precedent exists.

e.g. the IC fragments we collect which can be turned in at ICP and WGT dungeons for some random set gear that drops in each of those dungeons. Believe at 150 fragments it is not exactly a quick method but it does fit the request OP wanted.

Whether this is a good/bad thing, not taking sides. Just pointing out that what OP asked for already exists in at least one update series of dungeons (ICP and WGT).
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Go in with some friends.
    Done.

EDIT: Sorry! I meant dragon star, I got my “arenas” mixed up.

That still requires that it drops for someone in the first place. There is a ~2% chance per item from an end boss. So chances that 1 out of 4 players drops what you need is still slim. I have dungeons where i only miss 2-6 weapons. I can run them 10 times back to back without ever seeing one of the missing items even drop. Thats the core issue behind the suggestion.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, trading breaks on console at the moment.
    You know how heartbreaking it is to get the piece someone needs, and be physically unable to hand it over because the screen bugs and you can't scroll and nothing fixes it?
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indigogo wrote: »
    Also, trading breaks on console at the moment.
    You know how heartbreaking it is to get the piece someone needs, and be physically unable to hand it over because the screen bugs and you can't scroll and nothing fixes it?

Oh yikes! That sounds horrible!
    The Moot Councillor
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xebov wrote: »
    Farming dungeon gear in ESO is easy as it can be compared to other MMO's out there. You don't have to run the veteran version of the dungeon, in many instances you don't even need a full group because they are solo-able and on top of that, once you get the item, you can just transmute everything to perfect trait and then reproduce unlimited copies of that item for all your twinks and on top of that: noon really *needs* any of the drops to be competitive, especially newcomers. There are easy workarounds for everything and those "rare" drops won't affect your DPS or overall performance at all.
    Also, please stop using the narrative of "600 plus times". Noone needs that many runs for an item. Most people just get bored after a couple of runs and get the subective impression that they must have been running this hundreds of times, which does not bring it closer to the truth.

Most of what you say is true, no doubt. We still look at players that want to complete collections or do a dungeon 150+ times to get a single item they need for a build. Thats the frustrating part. Threads like these are not to create shortcuts, but to create fail safe systems that create a worst case scenario to make sure that everyone can get what they want or need within an acceptable amount of time.
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    IMO, adding yet another currency, one specifically earned by completing dungeons, would just turn into another reason for a lot of players to speed-run dungeons and otherwise behave toxically toward players running dungeons together in random groups. There are already enough behavioral problems related to dungeons as is without adding yet another thing for players to use as an excuse for behaving toxically. Can you imagine the uproar in the forums if players were to start kicking players at the very end of the dungeon, so the kicked player won't get their token like the rest of the group? No, thank you.

The problem is, no matter the suggestions, the counter argument brought up is always "players might do something bad with this." The reality is that some players might behave bad, they already do, but should this be the reason to lock out the remaining majority of a potential feature just because some ppl act like asholes?

I have advocated for a long while now that dungeon rewards not be given until everything hostile in the dungeon dies. Skip a mob you don't get the rewards for completion. That would stop players from skipping to the end boss.

The problem I see with this idea is how to keep any currency or tokens dungeon specific. We don't want/need players running fungal grotto to purchase Fang Lair gear.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."