The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ESO needs a new currency aka dungeon token.

ksbrugh
ksbrugh
✭✭✭✭
A dungeon token would be something you would be rewarded after you complete a dungeon. And then when you accumulate 200 or 300 whatever ZOS sees fit you can exchange that for one armor piece or weapon piece from any of the dungeons that you have already successfully completed. So that way the unbelievable grind to get say a dagger and running the dungeon 600 plus times and still no dagger would be and feel much more rewarding. I know I know it's supposed to be an MMO grind heaven, but I'm just giving a suggestion for the newcomers.
Zos would not have to do it with trials or arenas that is unless they wanted to.
Edited by ksbrugh on May 12, 2021 5:57AM
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Farming dungeon gear in ESO is easy as it can be compared to other MMO's out there. You don't have to run the veteran version of the dungeon, in many instances you don't even need a full group because they are solo-able and on top of that, once you get the item, you can just transmute everything to perfect trait and then reproduce unlimited copies of that item for all your twinks and on top of that: noon really *needs* any of the drops to be competitive, especially newcomers. There are easy workarounds for everything and those "rare" drops won't affect your DPS or overall performance at all.
    Also, please stop using the narrative of "600 plus times". Noone needs that many runs for an item. Most people just get bored after a couple of runs and get the subective impression that they must have been running this hundreds of times, which does not bring it closer to the truth.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • RPGplayer13579
    RPGplayer13579
    ✭✭✭✭
    We already have at least 10 types of currencies in game. Maybe more. Why do we need another one?
    My Characters.

Mike Snow - Imperial - Templar - One-Handed and Shield - Tank - Daggerfall Covenant - Commander.
    Catelyn Rivers - Breton - Sorcerer - Destruction Staff - Daggerfall Covenant - Telvanni Magister.
    Ashara Sand - Redguard - Warden - Two-Handed/One-Handed and Shield - Daggerfall Covenant - Heroic.
    Tormund gro-Largash - Orsimer - Dragonknight - Two-Handed - Daggerfall Covenant - Furious.
    Lysa Rivers - Breton - Nightblade - Bow/One-Handed and Shield - Vampire - Daggerfall Covenant - Brassy Assassin.

Jon Karstark - Nord - Dragonknight - Two-Handed - Ebonheart Pact - Drunk.
    Arya Sand - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Dual Wield - Ebonheart Pact - Assassin.
    Sansa Snow - Impeial - Warden - Destruction Staff/One-Handed and Shield - Ebonheart Pect - Swashbuckler.
    Jojen Reed-Walker - Argonian - Templar - Restoration Staff - Healer - Ebonheart Pact - Melancholy.
    Alys Karstark - Nord - Nightblade - Bow/Dual Wield - Ebonheart Pact - Minstrel.

Nymeria Woods - Bosmer - Nightblade - Bow - Aldmeri Dominion - Thief.
    Brandon Wings - Altmer - Templar - Restoration Staff - Healer - Aldmeri Dominion - Scholar.
    Lyanna Flowers - Altmer - Sorcerer - Sword/Destruction Staff - Aldmeri Dominion - Duchess.
    Marvolo-jo Riddle - Khajiit - Necromancer - Destruction Staff - Aldmeri Dominion - Deadlands Firewalker.
    Obara Woods - Bosmer - Templar - Bow - Werewolf - Aldmeri Dominion - Cheerful.

• mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »
    once you get the item
    everything you wrote before and after doesn't realy matter. Cuz this is hardest part and for some players completely impossible.

Google: "eso farming medusa site:forums.elderscrollsonline.com"
  • ksbrugh
    ksbrugh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Farming dungeon gear in ESO is easy as it can be compared to other MMO's out there. You don't have to run the veteran version of the dungeon, in many instances you don't even need a full group because they are solo-able and on top of that, once you get the item, you can just transmute everything to perfect trait and then reproduce unlimited copies of that item for all your twinks and on top of that: noon really *needs* any of the drops to be competitive, especially newcomers. There are easy workarounds for everything and those "rare" drops won't affect your DPS or overall performance at all.
    Also, please stop using the narrative of "600 plus times". Noone needs that many runs for an item. Most people just get bored after a couple of runs and get the subective impression that they must have been running this hundreds of times, which does not bring it closer to the truth.

The 600 times was not an expression actually it was a underquote for a piece of gear I farmed for for over a year. I set up a schedule I plan time to play the game everyday. I did that dungeon particularly the amount of times I needed to have it done to reach a certain quota that I had a goal for. After I unsuccessfully tried those attempts including solo runs through the dungeon I would stop and go play the rest of the game next day I would rinse and repeat rinse and repeat. I finally gave up over a year ago because after more than 600 runs I still did not get that one piece to drop and running pugs you're lucky if one out of 10 runs somebody will share something with you. All because you have had a pleasant rate drop doesn't mean there are not a lot of people out there that do not get this pleasant rate drop that you are referring to. I don't understand why someone would have such an issue with it, it's not a game breaking feature. Make it be 400 tokens that's a huge amount of dungeon running and that person is playing the game more because he or she will run all the dungeons they can to earn those tokens which means more people playing dungeons, which means faster cue times which means more money ESO will make why can't people see that.
    It would be an eso's interest to increase dungeon play and I can't think of an easier way of them to do it.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    The RNG can be quite annoying sometimes. Ability to buy gear with dungeon token's wouldn't be bad imo.
    Think SWTOR has something similar.
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have played since 2014 and i still didnt get bsw inferno...
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, adding yet another currency, one specifically earned by completing dungeons, would just turn into another reason for a lot of players to speed-run dungeons and otherwise behave toxically toward players running dungeons together in random groups. There are already enough behavioral problems related to dungeons as is without adding yet another thing for players to use as an excuse for behaving toxically. Can you imagine the uproar in the forums if players were to start kicking players at the very end of the dungeon, so the kicked player won't get their token like the rest of the group? No, thank you.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ksbrugh
    ksbrugh
    ✭✭✭✭
    We already have at least 10 types of currencies in game. Maybe more. Why do we need another one?

Yes we have quite a few doesn't mean another one wouldn't be great as well.
    Earn a token towards a piece of armor or weapon that you want just by completing a dungeon. Makes sense to me. Let's say the price of one piece of armor was 300 token, that would mean that person would have to play any dungeon 300 times incompleted to earn the tokens to acquire that piece of armor. Right.
    Common Sense used here would suggest that that's an interaction of 300 times with other ESO players maybe a shorter queue time. After running so many dungeons, definitely a more experienced player which also helps out the community of dungeon and trials. Plus a major sense of accomplishment which players need. 300 dungeons for 300 tokens is no small accomplishment. I'm sure what system you play on PC or console but I've sent in a queue line for over an hour as a DPS over 30 minutes for a healer about 15 minutes for a tank sometimes tank goes immediately lol. Not enough tanks in ESO but that's another post.
    It would not be a game breaker in my opinion I think it would be a game enhancer but we are all entitled to our own opinions. And none of us are ever going to agree on one thing or the other. So like I said before it's just a suggestion
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This idea has been proposed many times.

Why anyone would be against it is puzzling, but I guess it makes the game more fun for others when player's aren't enjoying the game because the game's balance shifts too hard from patch-to-patch. Maybe it's because they happen to have a piece of gear that gives them a massive advantage in either PvP or PvE vs. those that don't, or look at it as a badge of honor.

Either way, I have over 139 staves and they are all golden. They are also every meta set out there and even ones for my vanity like toothrow lightning staff ;)

What I have to say about a token system is this: bring it! I don't care if others have a staff easier than I did. No one should have to farm a dungeon over 20x for gear (real farming it might take over 450 to get some staves, like my rattlecage collection took over 590 runs).

At that point it's not playing the game, but a job. If anyone wants to do a job, then they can get paid instead of paying ZOS for the privilege to do so.
  • ksbrugh
    ksbrugh
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    IMO, adding yet another currency, one specifically earned by completing dungeons, would just turn into another reason for a lot of players to speed-run dungeons and otherwise behave toxically toward players running dungeons together in random groups. There are already enough behavioral problems related to dungeons as is without adding yet another thing for players to use as an excuse for behaving toxically. Can you imagine the uproar in the forums if players were to start kicking players at the very end of the dungeon, so the kicked player won't get their token like the rest of the group? No, thank you.

Then make it a kill everything earnable
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    everything you wrote before and after doesn't realy matter. Cuz this is hardest part and for some players completely impossible.

Google: "eso farming medusa site:forums.elderscrollsonline.com"

Yes, doing something for the first time is always the hardest part. Still, ESO makes it pretty easy for players to get what they want if they have a little bit of patience and determination.
    I don't need to google about farming medusa staff. I've done it. It took me a total of 19 hours of solo farming.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, the toxicity argument...

Because players aren't keeping quiet about bugs that allow them to immediately warp to the end boss without killing anything in Arx Corixium and farming the end boss like that on live server.

Game is already toxic. We can blame the community or try to clamp the community down, but ultimately where does the blame lie if such a thing occurs?
  • RageKing
    RageKing
    ✭✭✭✭
    i would be down for some dungeon tokens or something similar. ive ran a few dungeons hundreds of times trying to get a specific staff(inferno medusa, BSW and others) and have yet to get them. its kinda ridiculous at this moment. i dont care what you say about rng, if i run a dungeon 500 times i should get at least 1 of each weapon in that time. yet im still incomplete on some pieces because zos lies about true rng
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of what you say is true, no doubt. We still look at players that want to complete collections or do a dungeon 150+ times to get a single item they need for a build. Thats the frustrating part. Threads like these are not to create shortcuts, but to create fail safe systems that create a worst case scenario to make sure that everyone can get what they want or need within an acceptable amount of time.

The problem is, no matter the suggestions, the counter argument brought up is always "players might do something bad with this." The reality is that some players might behave bad, they already do, but should this be the reason to lock out the remaining majority of a potential feature just because some ppl act like asholes?

Edited by Xebov on May 12, 2021 7:21AM
  • RageKing
    RageKing
    ✭✭✭✭
    using undaunted keys to unlock gear would suffice. i have hundreds of keys but got all the shoulders i need. so exchanging keys for dungeon gear would make up for the horrible rng for some weapons.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I personally think it might be cool. And I actually want to believe the best of people. But it sure does seem like people are the main reason why people can't have nice things.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just use the undaunted keys instead of creating a new currency.
  • jm42
    jm42
    ✭✭✭✭
    PigofSteel wrote: »

me too. 2500 hours + on Steam and doing CoA and Arx hundreds of times with rnd daily, pledges and months of specifically farming - and no bsw fire staff and medusa fire staff. my collection from this 2 dungeons is full, lacking just this 2 items. So, drop rates are completely honest, yes?
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    ksbrugh wrote: »
    A dungeon token would be something you would be rewarded after you complete a dungeon. And then when you accumulate 200 or 300 whatever ZOS sees fit you can exchange that for one armor piece or weapon piece from any of the dungeons that you have already successfully completed. So that way the unbelievable grind to get say a dagger and running the dungeon 600 plus times and still no dagger would be and feel much more rewarding. I know I know it's supposed to be an MMO grind heaven, but I'm just giving a suggestion for the newcomers.
    Zos would not have to do it with trials or arenas that is unless they wanted to.

bad idea, people will only farm Fungal Grotto 1 or Elden Hollow 1
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember farming dozens of hours for a BSW inferno staff only to dropp a powered one? I'd say, today its ok how it is.
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    too many currencies already, its worse than Europe.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am not sure if creating a new currency is the most elegant solution but as someone who does not consider repeating the same dungeon over and over again ad nauseam chasing a wholly unpredictable outcome 'content' and much prefers actions with predictable results instead I would certainly support a system that offers that.

I have managed to acquire the items that are mentioned repeatedly on this thread but this is besides the point; the point is that we can do better.

I do however understand how some players would enjoy the current mechanic; after all there are very successful business enterprises that rely on people's affinity to 'pulling the slot machine arm' - so to speak - for profit. I am just not one of them.

Either because I am inherently dull or because decades of my brain's reward mechanism being 'messed with' have made me so I can't say I enjoy the activity. I can't even remember if I ever did. I do it because there is no alternative.

If there was an skill based alternative that awarded predictable results I would strive for improvement in order to attain them. Alas there is no such thing. As far as I know there is not even a 'pity timer'. Repeating the same action - which eventually by means of iteration becomes menial - over and over again expecting a different result is all we have.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on May 12, 2021 10:04AM
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    jm42 wrote: »
    PigofSteel wrote: »

me too. 2500 hours + on Steam and doing CoA and Arx hundreds of times with rnd daily, pledges and months of specifically farming - and no bsw fire staff and medusa fire staff. my collection from this 2 dungeons is full, lacking just this 2 items. So, drop rates are completely honest, yes?

I got medusa in chest, might helped that CP active ability on bar which increases quality of item but im not buying that :)
  • Pelirockjo
    Pelirockjo
    ✭✭
    I'm all for that. Maybe different tokens to prevent people from farming low level dungeons to get dlc gear. A token system would be great to for the arenas.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pelirockjo wrote: »
    I'm all for that. Maybe different tokens to prevent people from farming low level dungeons to get dlc gear. A token system would be great to for the arenas.

Hell no - 200 new different tokens - really bad idea

Simple 1 - fix RNGeus, maybe by weighting items not collected...
    Edited by Gythral on May 12, 2021 11:01AM
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldnt want another currency, we've got plenty different currencies.
    My preference would be to use a currency already in-game, like undaunted keys, writs or transmute stones.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but this is such a bad idea as you would need separate tokens for each dungeon. Otherwise everyone would run FG1 loads of times and buy all the gear they need.

I understand where you are coming from but this is not the solution.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more currencies, please.

Just make dungeon gear sellable at the guild traders. For every 'farm for that one piece of gear' player you lose from dungeons, you gain at least one 'farm for profit' player. And no one will have to grind up the pieces they have already gotten.

As far as casuals getting gear they haven't earned from gold, we already have paid carry runs. And last I checked, lots of folks have complained about the dps from casuals. Better gear is not the total answer but it couldn't hurt.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira
    ✭✭✭
    Arx always has 4 chests, they should make this the norm for every dungeon. Using Undaunted keys for a "random weapon from a specific dungeon"-coffer would be great too. No need for yet another currency.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thinking about it rather than a new currency I would make a daily challenge available for each and every dungeon, arena and trial you can take - master of the obvious moment - once a day on each one of them.

The challenge would be different every day from a pool of seven in a predictable rotation and two out of the seven would require less skill than the rest to complete.

If one/one's party successfully completes the challenge a vendor pops up at the end of the dungeon/arena/trial who enables purchasing ONE 'bind on pickup' item from the pool that pertains to it.

This makes 'working towards a goal' a predictable, achievable affair with a clear indication of time/effort investment vs reward as opposed to a lottery.