The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can MDK get 1 (one) burst damage ability in the next test cycle?

• Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veg wrote: »
    I'm referring to the lack of damage mitigation you get from not having both your stun, dps and heal on the same bar. It would be great if we could have all our DoTs and spammable and stun all on one bar without making a huge sacrifice.

Yeah, those are exactly my reasons too, to a tee, and I play Stam, but more in the fashion of the original DK - i.e. S&B and now always 3-4 pieces of Heavy, previously almost always 5 - rather than a "Poison Rogue". Replace Whip with D Swing and it's the same idea, more or less. I think our DoTs are best applied while sitting in the comfort of our "mobile home" provided by our strong blocking (to make an analogy to the Templar house).
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm no DK main but my magDK is feeling great right now.

In no-CP my 3-stack molten whip tooltip is 20k!!

And it naturally charges through the course of my normal combo. Empowering chain (1 stack), claw (2 stacks), fire breath (yay 3 stacks!), fossilize, big juicy whip. Easy setup using a simple combo.

Light Torugs + Spinner + Malacath + Maelstrom resto is working great for me.

Please explain how your molten whip compares to this stam sorc whos execute didn't even get a chance to hit me. Also included a bonus clip of a fellow molten whip champion that is suddenly under pressure from the inferior flame lash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yI9dXh5Fd0

You took his vate 2h proc and his teammate’s blastbones at the same time, while already missing a bit of health. And It’s hard to see how much HP you have on my phone screen but I think it starts with a 2.. it should start with a 3 these days imo. If the blastbones hadn’t been there you maybe could have recovered and turned it around. Sorc as a class was barely in play. Crystal weapon added a little extra burst and he stunned you with streak but that’s it. That being said stamsorc has been top tier for a while now. Mainly because some of the best proc sets synergize very nicely with steak.. but this thread is about burst and the only burst from a sorc ability you received was 3k from crystal wep.

Remove blastbones from that attack and steeltornado replaces it. No difference. Max hp is 31k. The point is that these classes can do this because they have burst damage built into their class. There is no mag DK combo that comes anywhere close to this regardless of what proc sets you use. Even when you do get someone to 10% hp theres nothing a mag DK can to finish them off that they arent already doing to deal regular damage.

Steel tornado is not a class skill. Anyone can do that combo, not just sorcs. The bulk of that combo has nothing to do with sorc as a class. Just 3k from crystal wep. If you’d been playing as a sorc instead of a DK, how would you have countered that situation differently? By the look of it you didn’t have time to react no matter what kind of toon you were on.

As I stated above, my 3-stack molten tooltip is 20k. Even accounting for resistances it hits a heck of a lot harder than a 3k crystal weapon. Stacked on top of dots, LA weaves, infused glyph proccing every 2 seconds.. it is ample burst imo. By no means saying magDK is the best but this is the best they’ve felt in a long time to me. They benefit big time from the increased stamina pool.

You have to cast 3 attacks while in combat to start your burst damage. Any other class with burst damage does this before they even get close to you. You have no opening to exploit and you have completely sacrificed your skill bar for 1 burst damage ability...

God forbid classes have their own identity, right? The game would be more fun if every class played the exact same.

If you want burst on 3s cd, then don't play MagDK. If you want to play a certain playstyle, pick a class that excels in that playstyle. Don't try to make every class the exact same. All these forum posts are comparing class "weaknesses" to other classes strengths. They're different classes for a reason.

If we think MagDK is underperforming, then buff tooltips don't change how the class plays so it's just a fiery warden.

@IAmIcehouse such posts annoys me so much.

OK, please ZOS brings back DK identity!!!! mDKs should be able to tank 4 people and and lock them in mele range easily and deal dot pressure. I am fine if they bring back that playstyle. Then we will not be as the other classes charge kill one retreat come back kill another one and so on. Or just jump and with mega AoE burst kill one and finish the second one in the next few attacks and then fight the other 2.

For the people who dont know what was the DK identity I will explain:
    1) The class had the best regeneration in the game - now it is the worst
    2) The class had reflect to counter all range projectiles as the class is purely mele based and had zero mobility
    3) The class had blind to counter mele
    4) The class had a nice aoe dot damage that helped putting pressure on multiple enemies
    Because I can!
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

And it naturally charges through the course of my normal combo. Empowering chain (1 stack), claw (2 stacks), fire breath (yay 3 stacks!), fossilize, big juicy whip. Easy setup using a simple combo.

Please explain how your molten whip compares to this stam sorc whos execute didn't even get a chance to hit me. Also included a bonus clip of a fellow molten whip champion that is suddenly under pressure from the inferior flame lash

You took his vate 2h proc and his teammate’s blastbones at the same time, while already missing a bit of health. And It’s hard to see how much HP you have on my phone screen but I think it starts with a 2.. it should start with a 3 these days imo. If the blastbones hadn’t been there you maybe could have recovered and turned it around. Sorc as a class was barely in play. Crystal weapon added a little extra burst and he stunned you with streak but that’s it. That being said stamsorc has been top tier for a while now. Mainly because some of the best proc sets synergize very nicely with steak.. but this thread is about burst and the only burst from a sorc ability you received was 3k from crystal wep.

Remove blastbones from that attack and steeltornado replaces it. No difference. Max hp is 31k. The point is that these classes can do this because they have burst damage built into their class. There is no mag DK combo that comes anywhere close to this regardless of what proc sets you use. Even when you do get someone to 10% hp theres nothing a mag DK can to finish them off that they arent already doing to deal regular damage.

Steel tornado is not a class skill. Anyone can do that combo, not just sorcs. The bulk of that combo has nothing to do with sorc as a class. Just 3k from crystal wep. If you’d been playing as a sorc instead of a DK, how would you have countered that situation differently? By the look of it you didn’t have time to react no matter what kind of toon you were on.

As I stated above, my 3-stack molten tooltip is 20k. Even accounting for resistances it hits a heck of a lot harder than a 3k crystal weapon. Stacked on top of dots, LA weaves, infused glyph proccing every 2 seconds.. it is ample burst imo. By no means saying magDK is the best but this is the best they’ve felt in a long time to me. They benefit big time from the increased stamina pool.

You have to cast 3 attacks while in combat to start your burst damage. Any other class with burst damage does this before they even get close to you. You have no opening to exploit and you have completely sacrificed your skill bar for 1 burst damage ability...

God forbid classes have their own identity, right? The game would be more fun if every class played the exact same.

If you want burst on 3s cd, then don't play MagDK. If you want to play a certain playstyle, pick a class that excels in that playstyle. Don't try to make every class the exact same. All these forum posts are comparing class "weaknesses" to other classes strengths. They're different classes for a reason.

If we think MagDK is underperforming, then buff tooltips don't change how the class plays so it's just a fiery warden.

OK, please ZOS brings back DK identity!!!! mDKs should be able to tank 4 people and and lock them in mele range easily and deal dot pressure. I am fine if they bring back that playstyle. Then we will not be as the other classes charge kill one retreat come back kill another one and so on. Or just jump and with mega AoE burst kill one and finish the second one in the next few attacks and then fight the other 2.

2) The class had reflect to counter all range projectiles as the class is purely mele based and had zero mobility
    4) The class had a nice aoe dot damage that helped putting pressure on multiple enemies

No magDK shouldn´t tank 4 good players (Im a magDK main).

MagDKs classkit is perfect for meleefights. The issue is mobility which can be addressed by making protective scale morphs the following:

Protective plate: snare removal + 4 sec snare immunity + major expedition and -50% projectile dmg taken (simply RaT but less projectile dmg instead of minor force). Current morph has no snare removal and only 2 sec snare immunity which is very underperforming

Dragon fire scales: snare removal + 4 sec snare immunity + -50% projectile dmg taken and current flame dmg on taking projectile dmg. Simply adding snare removal to the morph but NOT major exp as protective plate

For inhale morphs I would which for slightly higher damage tooltips and make one of them poison/physical dmg (or scale with highest offensive stat). StamDK lacks some kind of delayed burst and one of these abilities would fit well with how stamDK plays
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No magDK shouldn´t tank 4 good players (Im a magDK main).

MagDKs classkit is perfect for meleefights. The issue is mobility which can be addressed by making protective scale morphs the following:

Protective plate: snare removal + 4 sec snare immunity + major expedition and -50% projectile dmg taken (simply RaT but less projectile dmg instead of minor force). Current morph has no snare removal and only 2 sec snare immunity which is very underperforming

Dragon fire scales: snare removal + 4 sec snare immunity + -50% projectile dmg taken and current flame dmg on taking projectile dmg. Simply adding snare removal to the morph but NOT major exp as protective plate

For inhale morphs I would which for slightly higher damage tooltips and make one of them poison/physical dmg (or scale with highest offensive stat). StamDK lacks some kind of delayed burst and one of these abilities would fit well with how stamDK plays

4 good players vs 1 I doubt any spec can handle it with killing at least one of these 4 and surviving. And here come the main issue. If we want DK identity which is tankinest and mele skills + dots, if it is too strong people complain. If you want something like mobility or burst people complain too.

On class with burst or mobility you have 500% better chance for better gameplay vs 4 people. You can either try to nuke one of them or you can try to disengage. With Dk what can you do? Prolong the fight a few seconds and die.

Anyway DK is not even the tankiest class anymore, I feel way more tankier on my warden. And I have nice burst too. As I said in my previous comments, DKs are lost cause.

If we are lucky and in 5-10 years we see legacy servers with 1.5 I can play that class again.
    Because I can!
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Veg another option can be if ZoS make Burning talons DoT stack. That can be a nice AoE burst damage that you have to build, still not as easy as shalks but it will have potential.

P.S It should be tested how this will be effected by Elf Bane set and adjusted accordingly if it is too strong.
    Because I can!
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff both morphs of Leap by about 50% or so. Why not? If both DK need help in PvP, why not do it the easy and sure-fire way?

Edited by Urzigurumash on April 21, 2021 6:59AM
  • Veg
    Veg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff both morphs of Leap by about 50% or so. Why not? If both DK need help in PvP, why not do it the easy and sure-fire way?

We tried getting the damage shield from leap changed to a DoT. It didn't work. All we got was the fire damage. That was like 3 years ago so maybe some new devs would have a change of heart but I wouldn't expect anything after seeing literally no changes on the pts this time.
    Edited by Veg on April 21, 2021 8:02AM
    ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭

The issue it not the spammable which is very viable if you know how to utilize both morphs. Power lash is insane damage and healing for the mag spent. Molten have the potential to hit like NBs spec bow. The issue is mobility and very weak delayed burst skill in inhale. snare removal + major exp on protective plate and a TT which scales close to deep fissure/blastbones would solve many issues
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue it not the spammable which is very viable if you know how to utilize both morphs. Power lash is insane damage and healing for the mag spent. Molten have the potential to hit like NBs spec bow. The issue is mobility and very weak delayed burst skill in inhale. snare removal + major exp on protective plate and a TT which scales close to deep fissure/blastbones would solve many issues

I think you misread me and thought I meant Whip, but anyhow, same thing. Buffing Leap wouldn't really save us anyhow - most experienced players will block it if they're able to, I find against experienced players Leap is really great only for catching them off guard or when they're trying to flee. On this subject of stronger Direct Damage for DK, I've never bought the argument that StamWhip would make much difference for StamDK, because what exactly is it going to do that D Swing doesn't?

I have my own beliefs regarding how the 4 base game classes could stay relevant in a competitive way from patch to patch, through all the meta shifts - namely by their long-standing core roles being rejuvenated (note StamNB and MagSorc have barely had their domain trodden upon by DLC classes) - and so while I'm in favor of adjusting DK to be an even stronger DoT Tank, it's clear this playstyle isn't going to cut it in a meta that is otherwise to most players' liking.

I believe - much as on the PvE side - in a 4 man PvP group a DK can play almost any role to a reasonably effective degree, but when it comes to optimized 12 man, the thing I see the most experienced crowns looking at DKs for is Talons, Chains and Standard.

This is all well and good with me, personally, I like playing a "pressure tank" as much as I like potty-dunking with Leap - but tankish builds are regarded so contemptuously by our non-DK peers that we should probably start offering up our tanking tools in exchange for more mobility and stronger delayed burst, so we can play the exact same way and the use exact same builds that Wardens and Necros do, as this seems to be more in line with most players' desires rather than letting DKs be superlative tank-like-things as they once were.

Here I've got a start:

Old: Elder Dragon: Increases your Health Recovery by 5% for each Draconic Power ability slotted
    New: Elder Dragon: Increase your Movement Speed by 5% for each Draconic Power ability slotted

Old: Increases the amount of damage you block by 10%.
    New: Increases the duration of the dodge chance bonus of Roll Dodge by .5 seconds.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make inhale hit 15m or something

Please fix engulfing flame “cone” the cone feels like 3m or something and the real cast time of the skill is much longer than the “0.6s” dawnbreaker.

^THIS^

The animation is broken since don't know when. Stated by many players before. But not a single response or aknowledgement from ZOS.
  • Veg
    Veg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PQuMPtw.png

Meanwhile in a world where DK's got the change everyone wanted.
    ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PQuMPtw.png

Finally the day have come, when inhale is actually worth to slot again
    Edited by Freakin_Hytte on April 22, 2021 8:09AM
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PQuMPtw.png

I am not gonna lie and I will be happy and take it. Not a big fan of homogenizing the game but otherwise the class is left behind other classes.

I think it will be nice if DKs have another mechanic like if they cast it twice in a row they have 2 explosions, so the second cast does not overwrite the first explosion.
    Because I can!
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭

I think you misread me and thought I meant Whip, but anyhow, same thing. Buffing Leap wouldn't really save us anyhow - most experienced players will block it if they're able to, I find against experienced players Leap is really great only for catching them off guard or when they're trying to flee. On this subject of stronger Direct Damage for DK, I've never bought the argument that StamWhip would make much difference for StamDK, because what exactly is it going to do that D Swing doesn't?

I have my own beliefs regarding how the 4 base game classes could stay relevant in a competitive way from patch to patch, through all the meta shifts - namely by their long-standing core roles being rejuvenated (note StamNB and MagSorc have barely had their domain trodden upon by DLC classes) - and so while I'm in favor of adjusting DK to be an even stronger DoT Tank, it's clear this playstyle isn't going to cut it in a meta that is otherwise to most players' liking.

I believe - much as on the PvE side - in a 4 man PvP group a DK can play almost any role to a reasonably effective degree, but when it comes to optimized 12 man, the thing I see the most experienced crowns looking at DKs for is Talons, Chains and Standard.

This is all well and good with me, personally, I like playing a "pressure tank" as much as I like potty-dunking with Leap - but tankish builds are regarded so contemptuously by our non-DK peers that we should probably start offering up our tanking tools in exchange for more mobility and stronger delayed burst, so we can play the exact same way and the use exact same builds that Wardens and Necros do, as this seems to be more in line with most players' desires rather than letting DKs be superlative tank-like-things as they once were.

Here I've got a start:

Old: Elder Dragon: Increases your Health Recovery by 5% for each Draconic Power ability slotted
    New: Elder Dragon: Increase your Movement Speed by 5% for each Draconic Power ability slotted

Old: Increases the amount of damage you block by 10%.
    New: Increases the duration of the dodge chance bonus of Roll Dodge by .5 seconds.

I rather have block bonuses as a magdk instead of roll dodge bonuses. Solo magDK will probably be forced into stats next patch since they have 0 bonuses to spell dmg. Next patch will be challenging for solo MagDKs for sure
  • Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    PQuMPtw.png

Damn man you played me dirty
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PQuMPtw.png

I am not gonna lie and I will be happy and take it. Not a big fan of homogenizing the game but otherwise the class is left behind other classes.

I think it will be nice if DKs have another mechanic like if they cast it twice in a row they have 2 explosions, so the second cast does not overwrite the first explosion.

Same. I like playing the old Pressure Tank role, but it might be time to move on.

Let's get this big damage increase on the second hit of Inhale, removal of the targeting requirement, and highest-stat scaling. We would probably all be happy with that.

Edited by Urzigurumash on April 23, 2021 1:18AM
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Let’s compare Subterranean Assault to deep breath. Both delayed burst skills.

Subterranean Assault
    Cast Time: Instant
    Target: Area
    Range: Radius: 20 meters
    Cost: 2066 Stamina
    Skill description
    Stir a group of shalk that attack after 3 seconds, dealing 4264 Poison Damage to enemies in front of you. After the shalk complete their attack, they burrow again for 3 seconds and then resurface again, dealing 4264 Poison Damage to enemies in front of you.
    New effect
    Converts to a Stamina ability and deals Poison Damage. The shalk burrow after attacking, and attack again after a delay.

Deep Breath
    Target: Area
    Range: Radius: 8 meters
    Cost: 4050 Magicka
    Skill description
    Channel draconic energy to suck in the air around you, dealing 870 Magic Damage to nearby enemies and healing you for 100% of the damage caused. Any enemy hit that is casting is interrupted, set Off Balance, and stunned for 2 seconds. After 2.5 seconds, you exhale fire, dealing 2249 Flame Damage to nearby enemies.
    New effect
    Initial hit interrupts enemies that are casting. Final explosion damage increased.

Subterranean Assault cost almost 50% less then Deep Breath and does almost twice as much damage as Deep breath and can be preloaded until Deep breath. Plus, Subterranean Assault has a meter range vs. 8 for deep breath and the 2nd cast is free. So much for standardized skills.

Just for [snip] and giggles here is Necro’s delayed homer missile skill compares.

Blighted Blastbones
    Target: Enemy
    Range: Maximum range: 28 meters, Radius: 6 meters
    Cost: 2295 Stamina
    Skill description
    Summon a decaying skeleton from the ground after 2.5 seconds. The skeleton runs after the target and explodes when it gets close to them, dealing 4737 Disease Damage to all enemies nearby and applying Major Defile to them for 4 seconds, reducing their healing received and Health Recovery by 16% Creates a corpse on death.
    New effect
    Converts into a Stamina ability and deals Disease Damage. Reduces healing received on enemies hit.

Stalking Blastbones
    Target: Enemy
    Range: Maximum range: 28 meters, Radius: 6 meters
    Cost: 2700 Magicka
    Skill description
    Summon a flaming skeleton from the ground after 2.5 seconds. The skeleton runs after the target and explodes when it gets close to them, dealing 3600 Flame Damage to all enemies nearby. Every second the skeleton spends chasing its target increases the damage of the explosion by 10%, up to a maximum of 50% more damage. Creates a corpse on death.
    New effect
    The skeleton deals more damage the longer it chases the target.

Don't know about you but I think I can spot a little bit difference in new class vs. old classes.

Stay safe and enjoy the journey 😊

PS. ZOS stop the micromanagement of the green tree 🥺

Most people know very well how these skills are not comparable to deep breath they just dont want another class buffed as they dont play it.

Then when people start asking for nerfs you will see exactly the same people saying why do you want to nerf a skill? It is better to ask for buffs for other skills.

And as I said you can find a clear example in this topic:
    Berchelous wrote: »
    Nerfsorc topics are with us again lol. Try killing +30k warden with sorc in cyrolaag.
    Demand buff to other classes such as templar and dk instead of nerfing everything. If you are looking for real overtuned classes you should look into warden and necro.
    Because I can!
  • Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭
    PQuMPtw.png

I agree but so long as delayed burst is as powerful as it currently is there is no way around it.