The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Can MDK get 1 (one) burst damage ability in the next test cycle?

• Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    There is, you just have to spam 3 DoTs before you can use it. And make sure you hit, otherwise you got to spam dots again.

More serious answer: use inhale for delay burst. Charge molten whip, inhale, dragon leap, whip.

If leap would stun insted of knock back that would be nice.

Not much of a burst combo eh?
    Options
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much of a burst combo eh?

Didnt say there is none, its just a nobrainer to have to spam three dots to get a decent burst.
    Options
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veg wrote: »
    Just to test it. Like hey there's this one class that cannot stack damage without proc sets. Remember when Templars had no burst damage and then zos tested a new execute ability and it was great?

What counts as burst damage you ask?
    1. Any ability that does the same or more damage than flame whip and can deal its damage at the same time as flame whip
    2. Any execute. Even if it kinda sucks, like an aoe execute that would be too weak for PVE Raid bosses.

Why not just try it in the pts? What's the reason to pretend that DoTs that add up to less than 1 proc set in damage are effective in pvp?
    zAQ8Igg.jpg
    Free Shrugs

don't worry about it...rest assured Wardens will be buffed!!!
    Options
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also you say that MDK's have the best DoTs in the game and then immediately say that all DoTs are bad. Obviously MDK's DoTs are not working for pvp.

That's why they need to buff DoT's to x1.4-1.5 spammable damage instead of x1.3, not introducing new burst skills to every class.
    Options
  • Veg
    Veg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    Also you say that MDK's have the best DoTs in the game and then immediately say that all DoTs are bad. Obviously MDK's DoTs are not working for pvp.

That's why they need to buff DoT's to x1.4-1.5 spammable damage instead of x1.3, not introducing new burst skills to every class.

Or just give MDK's a new damage skill. No one was asking for every class to get more burst damage just MDK's. By replacing stonefist or wings with a new skill we can avoid increasing MDK's dps in pve while still giving them more burst damage for pvp.

Wouldn't seeing a new skill on the pts be a cool thing to test instead of crunching numbers on DoT's?
    ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Options
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play a lot of BGs on Xbox NA. I've got really good stamina toons on all classes that can all dish out mean bursts. I've started expanding into magicka classes. My magplar has been great, nice and bursty. My current project is mag DK.

And I totally suck at it, at least compared to my other toons. I'm so used to a burst play style, that I've been trying to shoehorn that into a mag DK, but it's been a major struggle. Outside of leap, X3 whip has been the best so far, but still significantly behind my other classes. I'm not bringing a lot of experience on mag DK to this discussion, but I do have a lot of experience leveraging the burst potential of all stam classes and magplar. To me, non-ultimate magdk burst seems significantly less potent/effective then many other classes.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
    Options
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Molten whip? Flames of Oblivion? Leap?

MW can hit incredibly hard fully stacked.
    There is, you just have to spam 3 DoTs before you can use it. And make sure you hit, otherwise you got to spam dots again.

More serious answer: use inhale for delay burst. Charge molten whip, inhale, dragon leap, whip.

If leap stunned instead of knockback, you wouldnt get a free hit in right after, which is one of the most important aspects of this ulti, imho.

Again, someone compare DK ult to spammables.
    It shows how bad DKs are.

Again, ZOS, please allow me to swap class with people still complaining DKs are OP. I'll pay you 20000 crowns and pay them 2 million gold. thanks.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
    Options
  • montjie
    montjie
    ✭✭✭
    Why does every class need to play the same?

Why does only 1 class have no burst damage anywhere close to every other class? Does every non MDK play the same? food for thought.

Because MDK literally has a Burst damage skill in Molten Whip. Molten Whip x 3 hits as hard as Merciless Resolve, with same stats.

You need to either cast 3 DoTs, spam Flames of oblivion 3 times or spam chains 3 times to use this skill. So thats about 10k magic to activate this skill and your have to spam useless abilities reducing your damage done. Merciless Resolve requires you to use light attacks. That costs nothing. You can weave your light attacks in with your regular damage. Also nightblades have the option of following up with an execute.

Flame lash is simply more reliable. Molten whip cannot be used reliably enough to work in pvp.

LA>FoO(1)>LA>BE(2)>LA>EF(3).... hit them with the supercharged MW (that hits harder than leap lol but sure mdk doesnt have burst) and when he gets defensive, you leap when he dodge rolls or fossilize into leap if he blocks.
    If lag/input delay isnt an issue the 5 second cooldown of FoO also should time pretty well with your end burst.
    Its not that hard to do and you didnt have to spam 1 single ability.

Hell you can even experiment with some flame staff heavy attacks buffed by molten armaments. Hits like a truck and people tend to underestimate it since its 'just' a heavy attack.

[snip]
    [edited to remove baiting comment]
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on April 8, 2021 12:27PM
    - easy farmable saltbucket -
    - retired QQ king of Daggerfall Covenant PC-EU Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/weird dragon name/Ravenwatch zone chat -
    Options
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭
    Inhale/draw essence has to have the same delayed burst scaling TT as wardens shalks and blastbones to be viable. It's about 60% of that value today
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Why does only 1 class have no burst damage anywhere close to every other class? Does every non MDK play the same? food for thought.

Because MDK literally has a Burst damage skill in Molten Whip. Molten Whip x 3 hits as hard as Merciless Resolve, with same stats.

You need to either cast 3 DoTs, spam Flames of oblivion 3 times or spam chains 3 times to use this skill. So thats about 10k magic to activate this skill and your have to spam useless abilities reducing your damage done. Merciless Resolve requires you to use light attacks. That costs nothing. You can weave your light attacks in with your regular damage. Also nightblades have the option of following up with an execute.

Flame lash is simply more reliable. Molten whip cannot be used reliably enough to work in pvp.

LOL, embers, flames, Foo, whip.

Spam chain 3x, do you even play magDK or just making stuff up to fit your argument?

I personally know ppl that destroy with a setup like this.
    Sure it's not your typical tape down left mouse button, turtle and spam dots and talons playstyle, but it's very effective offensively.

Oh and your nightblade argument is laughable.

Light attacks are free? yea for everyone. You can just naturally weave your skills? Why you dont weave on magdk??

Merciless takes longer to build up, has a minimum travel time, and has a loud af soundclue for your opponent so they can dodge..

You can stack up molten whip using skills that you would use in pvp anyway..

Come on now lets be real here.

Also when you say execute i hope you mean stamblade, beacuse theres a reason why no self respecting nigh

If leap stunned instead of knockback, you wouldnt get a free hit in right after, which is one of the most important aspects of this ulti, imho.

Again, ZOS, please allow me to swap class with people still complaining DKs are OP. I'll pay you 20000 crowns and pay them 2 million gold. thanks.

Did you even read what I wrote? How am I comparing leap to spammables?
    Mw fully stacked hits as hard as nb spectral bow, ofc you won't be spamming that's the whole point.
    Just naturally applying your dots and Foo will get you max stacks, then a well timed fossilize or leap will get you the window to land that overcharged whip.
    It's actually a unique burst mechanic to mag dk, compare this to Templar Backlash skills which requires you to go full ham on a target for 6 seconds and even then it won't it hit as hard as whip.
    I'd trade my Backlash for your molten whip any day.
    Options
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spam chain 3x, do you even play magDK or just making stuff up to fit your argument?

Sure it's not your typical tape down left mouse button, turtle and spam dots and talons playstyle, but it's very effective offensively.

Light attacks are free? yea for everyone. You can just naturally weave your skills? Why you dont weave on magdk??

Merciless takes longer to build up, has a minimum travel time, and has a loud af soundclue for your opponent so they can dodge..

Also when you say execute i hope you mean stamblade, beacuse theres a reason why no self respecting nigh

Mw fully stacked hits as hard as nb spectral bow, ofc you won't be spamming that's the whole point.
    Just naturally applying your dots and Foo will get you max stacks, then a well timed fossilize or leap will get you the window to land that overcharged whip.
    It's actually a unique burst mechanic to mag dk, compare this to Templar Backlash skills which requires you to go full ham on a target for 6 seconds and even then it won't it hit as hard as whip.

Great. I can finally main another class. My current main is magdk.

By the way, I guess you know templars can purge DK dots easily? Can't wait to have class purge, jab jab jab.

Edit: copied from another reply I made on another thread... Hope this helps you know more about magdks:

Wings: nerfed.
    Spike: nerfed.
    Leap: nerfed.
    DoT: heavily nerfed (and can be purged at PvP)
    Stun: nerfed.
    Cost: added.
    Speed: slow.
    Range: melee.
    Burst: lacking.

I'm a PvP player with a magdk warlord, flawless conquerer title. I'm sure that magdk is one of the classes least frequently appearing on my death recaps.
    Vast majority of PvPers gave in magdk PvP already.
    Edited by LightYagami on April 8, 2021 11:20AM
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

By the way, I guess you know templars can purge DK dots easily? Can't wait to have class purge, jab jab jab.

Edit: copied from another reply I made on another thread... Hope this helps you know more about magdks:

I'm a PvP player with a magdk warlord, flawless conquerer title. I'm sure that magdk is one of the classes least frequently appearing on my death recaps.

Easily? 5k Magicka.
    With just burning embers you apply 2 dots and a snare alone, that's already 3 of the 5 negative effects I can remove for 5k Magicka.
    Nerfed dot? Look at the lifeless corpse of sun fire and say nerfed dots again, please..
    Weak burst? Backlash, check.
    Stun? Undodgeable and blockable stun vs blockable and dodge able stun on Templar.
    Speed? I'll admit chains is stupidly bad gapcloser and toppling is one of the best, sure.
    And when you guys say lacking burst, do you intentionally ignore molten whip?
    I'm landing 10k+ crit whips on heavy armored targets this patch with 1 damage and 2 sustain sets..
    Is magDK perfect? No.
    But it's not weak at all.
    Neither is Templar, btw.
    The whole premise of this thread was that apparently magDK doesn't have burst, which is simply not true.
    Is it the best out there? No.
    If you wanna debate how good or bad Mw as a burst skill is, I'm game, but let's not pretend it doesn't exist.
    As for being a warlord..
    I knew people 5+ years ago who were GO and were still absolute garbo at pvp(not saying you are). AwA rank means you gathered enough ap to reach that rank, nothing more.
    Options
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inhale/draw essence has to have the same delayed burst scaling TT as wardens shalks and blastbones to be viable. It's about 60% of that value today

I strongly disagree: please ask any Den or Necro if they would happily swap their skills with Inhale/draw essence.

Please note: I'm not trolling/baiting...i'm just asking a poster to bring further evidence to back up an opinion he/she/they expressed
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on April 8, 2021 1:32PM
    Options
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    Deep breath into leap (time it where it goes off same time as leap) then engulfing and whip is pretty burst even with my general shacklebreaker/crafty at cp500.

Throw proxy in there to go off at the same time and stack damage and you have some mega aoe damage.
    Options
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily? 5k Magicka.
    With just burning embers you apply 2 dots and a snare alone, that's already 3 of the 5 negative effects I can remove for 5k Magicka.
    Nerfed dot? Look at the lifeless corpse of sun fire and say nerfed dots again, please..
    Stun? Undodgeable and blockable stun vs blockable and dodge able stun on Templar.
    Speed? I'll admit chains is stupidly bad gapcloser and toppling is one of the best, sure.
    I'm landing 10k+ crit whips on heavy armored targets this patch with 1 damage and 2 sustain sets..
    Is magDK perfect? No.
    Neither is Templar, btw.
    The whole premise of this thread was that apparently magDK doesn't have burst, which is simply not true.
    If you wanna debate how good or bad Mw as a burst skill is, I'm game, but let's not pretend it doesn't exist.
    As for being a warlord..
    I knew people 5+ years ago who were GO and were still absolute garbo at pvp(not saying you are). AwA rank means you gathered enough ap to reach that rank, nothing more.

sadly the war between templars and MagDKs is a war between 2 mediocre classes in comparison to what's out there at the moment. In my opinion the discussion should be more oriented towards classes that at the moment are overturned such as Necros, wardens
    Options
  • Veg
    Veg
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily? 5k Magicka.
    Is magDK perfect? No.
    Neither is Templar, btw.
    As for being a warlord..

I'll debunk this molten whip claim again. If you are slotting burning embers, engulfing flames, flames of oblivion and molten whip on 1 bar then that leaves 1 slot for either fossilize or dragon blood. That is a very bad set up. You are also casting 3 abilities before your actual attack. Thats about 10k magic and 3 global cooldowns. Now you have a 5 second window to pick your target and land your molten whip. You have no chance of catching someone off guard at this point. You also have to deal with all your incoming damage with only 1 ability slot open on your attack bar. This is simply not viable. You may get this to work with a 1 in 50 chance.

Now compare that to any other class attempting burst damage. It's very simple. You either start 1 ability that has the burst damage or you wait for an opening for an execute or both. You cant take the time to cast 4 abilities while already in combat just to get the same effect that other classes achieve with 1 ability.
    ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Easily? 5k Magicka.
    Is magDK perfect? No.
    Neither is Templar, btw.
    As for being a warlord..

I'll debunk this molten whip claim again. If you are slotting burning embers, engulfing flames, flames of oblivion and molten whip on 1 bar then that leaves 1 slot for either fossilize or dragon blood. That is a very bad set up. You are also casting 3 abilities before your actual attack. Thats about 10k magic and 3 global cooldowns. Now you have a 5 second window to pick your target and land your molten whip. You have no chance of catching someone off guard at this point. You also have to deal with all your incoming damage with only 1 ability slot open on your attack bar. This is simply not viable. You may get this to work with a 1 in 50 chance.

Now compare that to any other class attempting burst damage. It's very simple. You either start 1 ability that has the burst damage or you wait for an opening for an execute or both. You cant take the time to cast 4 abilities while already in combat just to get the same effect that other classes achieve with 1 ability.

Actually either, I run ele drain on frontbar.
    I swap cancel fossilize, having it on the backbar also allows me to use it defensively if I'm on the backfoot.
    Also casting all those other abilities is literally part of what magDK excels at and it's pressure.
    I won't deny that it's easier to use Blastbones and shalks, but when it comes to base game classes I tend to disaggree.
    DK is not a burst based class, it's a pressure based one.
    I do think that skill based dots are not as strong as they should be rn, especially compared to proc dots, but that doesn't mean suddenly dk is another class.
    A Stam nb has much higher upfront burst yes, but they're also a lot squishier than a DK.
    And let's not even talk about Templar, Backlash is an absolute mess rn, and the only burst you get out of the class is if you use your ultimate.
    Molten whips gimmick does make it a burst skill, it does hot very hard, it can be timed and comboed with other abilities, even if you don't like how it plays.
    Compare that to magblade, their main burst skill takes longer to build up and much more telegraphed and they don't even have the same sturdiness as dks do.
    So your argument about other classes having an easier time to land burst or having it faster really only holds true to a handful of them at best.
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »

Easily? 5k Magicka.
    Is magDK perfect? No.
    Neither is Templar, btw.
    As for being a warlord..

sadly the war between templars and MagDKs is a war between 2 mediocre classes in comparison to what's out there at the moment. In my opinion the discussion should be more oriented towards classes that at the moment are overturned such as Necros, wardens

Absolutely, the post I replied to, and so many others before in other threads were making it look like that templars ability to purge is somehow the most broken thing.
    They've upped the cost on purify several times already and then gave wardens a free purge, and the necro one might as well be free, considering how much hp it costs.

Yes the dlc classes have it better, but let's not pretend that Magplar is somehow back to its 1.6 glory days..
    Options
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily? 5k Magicka.
    Is magDK perfect? No.
    Neither is Templar, btw.
    As for being a warlord..

Absolutely, the post I replied to, and so many others before in other threads were making it look like that templars ability to purge is somehow the most broken thing.
    They've upped the cost on purify several times already and then gave wardens a free purge, and the necro one might as well be free, considering how much hp it costs.

Yes the dlc classes have it better, but let's not pretend that Magplar is somehow back to its 1.6 glory days..

Lol, Im not saying it's S tier or anything, but I've been slapping the smile off of people's faces in BGs on my my light armor, dual wielding, melee magplar lately.

Edit: Absolutely wicked burst compared to my recent failed attempts at magDK.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on April 8, 2021 4:24PM
    Options
  • Veg
    Veg
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily? 5k Magicka.
    Is magDK perfect? No.
    Neither is Templar, btw.
    As for being a warlord..

I swap cancel fossilize, having it on the backbar also allows me to use it defensively if I'm on the backfoot.
    Also casting all those other abilities is literally part of what magDK excels at and it's pressure.
    I won't deny that it's easier to use Blastbones and shalks, but when it comes to base game classes I tend to disaggree.
    I do think that skill based dots are not as strong as they should be rn, especially compared to proc dots, but that doesn't mean suddenly dk is another class.
    A Stam nb has much higher upfront burst yes, but they're also a lot squishier than a DK.
    And let's not even talk about Templar, Backlash is an absolute mess rn, and the only burst you get out of the class is if you use your ultimate.
    Molten whips gimmick does make it a burst skill, it does hot very hard, it can be timed and comboed with other abilities, even if you don't like how it plays.
    Compare that to magblade, their main burst skill takes longer to build up and much more telegraphed and they don't even have the same sturdiness as dks do.
    So your argument about other classes having an easier time to land burst or having it faster really only holds true to a handful of them at best.

And this "hold your ground" playstyle is simply bad (the quote is from the devs). Even magplars end up with the wild hunt ring and vateshran just to get out of the "pressure playstyle". Your burst combo is not viable beyond low skilled players.

Now let me ask you a question. The point of this thread is to give DK's a new skill to replace stonefist or wings. Are you actually against that?
    ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Easily? 5k Magicka.
    Is magDK perfect? No.
    Neither is Templar, btw.
    As for being a warlord..

And this "hold your ground" playstyle is simply bad (the quote is from the devs). Even magplars end up with the wild hunt ring and vateshran just to get out of the "pressure playstyle". Your burst combo is not viable beyond low skilled players.

Now let me ask you a question. The point of this thread is to give DK's a new skill to replace stonefist or wings. Are you actually against that?

The OP was about magDK not having a burst skill, which is blatantly untrue.
    I don't think every class needs to have Blastbones or shalks.
    Just look at the atrocity they gave stamsorcs with bound armaments.
    Poopfist is trash ofc I'd wanna replace it.
    I dunno what to tell you I see plenty of magdks is high MMR bgs with molten whip, it's really not that bad.
    My magDK is also high MMR and while the class is far from perfect or top tier it still works fine.
    Options
  • Veg
    Veg
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily? 5k Magicka.
    Is magDK perfect? No.
    Neither is Templar, btw.
    As for being a warlord..

The OP was about magDK not having a burst skill, which is blatantly untrue.
    I don't think every class needs to have Blastbones or shalks.
    Just look at the atrocity they gave stamsorcs with bound armaments.
    Poopfist is trash ofc I'd wanna replace it.
    I dunno what to tell you I see plenty of magdks is high MMR bgs with molten whip, it's really not that bad.
    My magDK is also high MMR and while the class is far from perfect or top tier it still works fine.

If you're really see a lot of mDKs in battlegrounds then you're not at max mmr. Why shouldn't mDKs be able to perform just as well as any other class? Again this thread is meant to get a new skill added to DKs. The class simply sucks at getting kills right now.
    ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Options
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily? 5k Magicka.
    Is magDK perfect? No.
    Neither is Templar, btw.
    As for being a warlord..

Just make yourself a magdk and try hardcore PvP for a few months against good players by yourself.

Action means more than talking. That's all.
    Options
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭

I strongly disagree: please ask any Den or Necro if they would happily swap their skills with Inhale/draw essence.

Please note: I'm not trolling/baiting...i'm just asking a poster to bring further evidence to back up an opinion he/she/they expressed

Warden shalks or necros blastbones are WAY BETTER skills then inhale/draw essence
    Options
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭

Interresting cause all wardens and necros I talk to wouldn´t trade their shalks or blastbones for inhale/draw essence. There is a reason why all necros and wardens are using their delayed burst with blastbones or shalks but no magdk is using inhale/draw essence. The skill is to weak to be worth to slot
    Options
  • nesakinter
    nesakinter
    ✭✭✭✭
    MagDk is not even supposed to have good burst damage.
    Options
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most of the posts here are from people who never played mDK seriously. OP knows what he is talking.

Sadly mDK is a lost cause. The class is designed to hold your ground and put some pressure over time. In order to hold your ground you need better defensive skills than the classes with execute and burst. But this made DKs the best tanks so the devs nerfed these defensive skills into the ground. Then it comes the other point if you provide them with really good pressure (dots) then the class will be the best DPS class in PvE. On top of that the play style hold your ground and put pressure means that you need sustain and this is not something where mDKS are good. Again their sustain was nerfed hard.

In PC EU in BGs there are max 2-3 mDKS who are really good and I can assure you this not related to the class but to the players. These players can be even better when they play other classes.
    Because I can!
    Options
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »
    Most of the posts here are from people who never played mDK seriously. OP knows what he is talking.

Sadly mDK is a lost cause. The class is designed to hold your ground and put some pressure over time. In order to hold your ground you need better defensive skills than the classes with execute and burst. But this made DKs the best tanks so the devs nerfed these defensive skills into the ground. Then it comes the other point if you provide them with really good pressure (dots) then the class will be the best DPS class in PvE. On top of that the play style hold your ground and put pressure means that you need sustain and this is not something where mDKS are good. Again their sustain was nerfed hard.

In PC EU in BGs there are max 2-3 mDKS who are really good and I can assure you this not related to the class but to the players. These players can be even better when they play other classes.

Whelp, I am someone without deep experience with magDK, but I leveled one during these two events, and have now probably played about 30 BGs on him, at least enough to get to where I've decent competition.

Like I said previously in this thread, I have extensive experience with other classes in BGs, so even though I haven't done a lot of MAG DK, I do know what it's like to fight against them, and I have a lot of context from my knowledge of other classes.

All that is to say, I believe MagDK is weak this patch due to a lack of reliable burst and/or execute. I've done a lot of different configurations (short of stacking procs), and they all just come up short. The largest problem being that I can put out good damage, but it becomes very difficult to finish players off without relying on Uttimate use. I imagine I could stack a bunch of procs and do better with a proc-tank set up, but that's just masking the problem.

If magDK could chain their bursts together more readily, or if they had access to a decent execute, things would be a lot different. Their kit is otherwise fun, good mitigation, strong healing, interesting fire damage synergies, but finishing players off without an Ultimate is much more difficult on MAGDK than any other class I've played.

The best I've been able to do on MAGDK steers a good bit out of the burst lane, and more into a tanky attrition type build (which I know is sort of supposed to be their identity), but that type of build is not well suited for this patch or BGs. Even if I am getting the better of my opponent, The time it takes for me to finish them off creates too much of an opportunity for them to disengage, or for their backup to arrive. If you had a very organized group, with a MAGDK on the front lines pulling agro, putting out dots and cc's, I could see them doing well there. But from a solo queue BG perspective, with a focus on Deathmatch in particular, MagDKs are simply coming up short. Clunky bursts and no execute are to blame.
    Options
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make inhale hit 15m or something

Please fix engulfing flame “cone” the cone feels like 3m or something and the real cast time of the skill is much longer than the “0.6s” dawnbreaker.
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
    Options
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let’s compare Subterranean Assault to deep breath. Both delayed burst skills.

Subterranean Assault
    Cast Time: Instant
    Target: Area
    Range: Radius: 20 meters
    Cost: 2066 Stamina
    Skill description
    Stir a group of shalk that attack after 3 seconds, dealing 4264 Poison Damage to enemies in front of you. After the shalk complete their attack, they burrow again for 3 seconds and then resurface again, dealing 4264 Poison Damage to enemies in front of you.
    New effect
    Converts to a Stamina ability and deals Poison Damage. The shalk burrow after attacking, and attack again after a delay.

Deep Breath
    Target: Area
    Range: Radius: 8 meters
    Cost: 4050 Magicka
    Skill description
    Channel draconic energy to suck in the air around you, dealing 870 Magic Damage to nearby enemies and healing you for 100% of the damage caused. Any enemy hit that is casting is interrupted, set Off Balance, and stunned for 2 seconds. After 2.5 seconds, you exhale fire, dealing 2249 Flame Damage to nearby enemies.
    New effect
    Initial hit interrupts enemies that are casting. Final explosion damage increased.

Subterranean Assault cost almost 50% less then Deep Breath and does almost twice as much damage as Deep breath and can be preloaded until Deep breath. Plus, Subterranean Assault has a meter range vs. 8 for deep breath and the 2nd cast is free. So much for standardized skills.

Just for [snip] and giggles here is Necro’s delayed homer missile skill compares.

Blighted Blastbones
    Target: Enemy
    Range: Maximum range: 28 meters, Radius: 6 meters
    Cost: 2295 Stamina
    Skill description
    Summon a decaying skeleton from the ground after 2.5 seconds. The skeleton runs after the target and explodes when it gets close to them, dealing 4737 Disease Damage to all enemies nearby and applying Major Defile to them for 4 seconds, reducing their healing received and Health Recovery by 16% Creates a corpse on death.
    New effect
    Converts into a Stamina ability and deals Disease Damage. Reduces healing received on enemies hit.

Stalking Blastbones
    Target: Enemy
    Range: Maximum range: 28 meters, Radius: 6 meters
    Cost: 2700 Magicka
    Skill description
    Summon a flaming skeleton from the ground after 2.5 seconds. The skeleton runs after the target and explodes when it gets close to them, dealing 3600 Flame Damage to all enemies nearby. Every second the skeleton spends chasing its target increases the damage of the explosion by 10%, up to a maximum of 50% more damage. Creates a corpse on death.
    New effect
    The skeleton deals more damage the longer it chases the target.

Don't know about you but I think I can spot a little bit difference in new class vs. old classes.

Stay safe and enjoy the journey 😊

PS. ZOS stop the micromanagement of the green tree 🥺

[Edited to remove Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 10, 2021 12:48PM
    Options