The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Request: Elder Sorcs Online

• Kory
    Kory
    ✭✭✭✭
    Augusten15 wrote: »
    Dear Zeni,

I've noticed lately that representation of mag and stam sorcs in whatever MMR bracket I live in(0 magblade/magcro representation, lots stamDKs, lots stamblades, TONS of mag/stam sorcs) is pushing 50% in many BGs. I don't have numbers on Cyro but feel free to back me up if they are performing well without procs.

Let's review..

1: Gap closer, gap maker, AoE stun, damage, temp immunity, spam
    2: Warden-like AoE pressure
    3: Shield spam
    4: Heal spam
    5: Sustain spam
    6: Stealth breaking delay damage and self AoE
    7: Mag Damage spam that outperforms destro staff skills (Rare)
    8: Stam Damage spam that compliments melee skills
    9: Pets that function properly (Unlike necro healing pet)
    10: An execute that fires for you incase someone CCs the 1-2-3 combo.

Some of these must be a high cost ultimate, right? Nope.

It's the perfect class with the perfect kit. While the other 5 are constantly seeking and inventing new ways to build that can fill these gaps, sorc has earned the reputation of "easy" with an answer for everything. Yes, those that have their feelings hurt can tell you how uber high the skill ceiling is too. Don't even get me started on the 1 bar trial bosses running DW/Briar/Pale.

So I present a solution.. Let them all play together! Que sorcs only in pvp content and it should be the pinnacle of skilled play given they lack nothing and therefore have no excuses. Since the idea of nerfing a class with such a kit is rage provoking and buffing the D tier classes clearly isn't happening this should make everyone happy, right? Probably not. But sometimes creativity spawns innovation.

Thanks for reminding me I need to make a Magicka Sorceror one of these days.
  • dcmgti
    dcmgti
    ✭✭✭
    Most magsorcs are irritating, if their burst fails then they just want to kite around a rock or inside a tower for 10 minutes. I don't plan on chasing someone around for 10 minutes while they streak away. They come back again and again trying to provoke someone into playing pvtower or pvrock.

The good ones are the ones that have been playing magsroc a long time or main the class.

I will agree that streak is a busted skill and I'm someone that has it on stamsorc. Streak stuns and usually bugs/desyncs the person that got streaked. Does damage, pulls other players out of animations like toppling charge or leap, one of the hardest stuns to break and the "ramping cost" really doesn't affect magsorcs at all. Again this is coming from someone that has streak on a stamsorc.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the genre is built around the erroneous assumption that a "tank" is just supposed to be a damage sponge that poses no threat offensively (yet highly intelligent "big bad evil antagonists somehow have a target fixation against them), mechanics that break that premise are going to be a problem with the game's balance foundation.

Aren't we undoing 6 years of gameplay by imposing this ideology on PvP? What came first, the designated roles in the dungeon group finder or Ravager, Truth, Affliction, and Elfbane? This isn't rhetorical, I have no clue, all of these things existed on Day 1 of Xbox as far as I recall.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's review..

It's the perfect class with the perfect kit. But sometimes creativity spawns innovation.

1. BoL: I think it should be nerfed. In fact, I was against its current implementation in the first place. It forces other Magicka classes to become a Vampire in order to get the same benefits.

2. There are at least 3 classes that are better at it, including your MagNecro if you would stop playing it like a poor man's MagSorc.

3. If a Sorc is spamming shields, he does not put any pressure on the target. It's like blocking. Having 3 shields on your skill bar reduces your burst damage potential.

4. Every class can spam self heals. Sorc self heals have a lot of counterplay, too.

5. Every Magicka class can have infinite magicka if s/he wants to. A really good open world MagSorc won't even use Dark Deal, as Equilibrium is better for your burst damage.

6. Every class can do that.

7. True. Because, you know, what's the point of class skills if they are outperformed by generic weapon skills? Just look how much better Jabs are compared to Flurry.

8. Sorcs have the fewest stam supporting spam skills of all classes. It's actually a meme among more experienced players.

9. The Necro healing Pet is quite good - not because of the healing, but because of the damage reduction which other classes cannot get. It's the reason an able StamNecro is considered a really good Duelist.

10. Templars have an automatic 6k damage delayed burst after doing a 1-1-1-1-1-1 combo. Is it equally OP?

When considering class balance, you have to consider that there are more viable playstyles than Noob farming and kill leeching. If you try that on a MagNecro, of course it will feel like an uphill struggle. You have to play the classes according to their strengths. MagNecros and Magblades are "bomb" classes, MagTemplar and MagDK are 1vs1 classes, as are most Stamina classes, and MagSorcs are infamous Potato cannons.

The only class that really excels in most situations is the StamWarden. A normal MagSorc is no major threat to anyone who knows the game mechanics and changes his skill setup accordingly.
    Edited by Thraben on March 1, 2021 5:29PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Augusten15
    Augusten15
    ✭✭✭
    McGordon wrote: »
    [Quoted post was removed]

I agree👍 Duel some sorcs and figure it out. You shouldn't assume something is overpowered because you personally can't beat it. By the sounds of it your a nightblade 😂

I play multiple classes, one of which being a MagSorc.

Then you should be aware that they stand out in this test as they stack stats better than any other class, but outside of this test they are not top tier. They are completely beatable btw, you just have to lock them down and Los at range because you won't beat them there. Your op reads as if you got killed on your nightblade by a sorc and instead of being analytical about your loss you decided to complain about it instead and make a nerf thread.

I'm still at a loss about this nightblade thing. I main 2 necros as stam/mag.
    McGordon wrote: »
    [Quoted post was removed]

I agree👍 Duel some sorcs and figure it out. You shouldn't assume something is overpowered because you personally can't beat it. By the sounds of it your a nightblade 😂

I play multiple classes, one of which being a MagSorc.

Then you should be aware that they stand out in this test as they stack stats better than any other class, but outside of this test they are not top tier. They are completely beatable btw, you just have to lock them down and Los at range because you won't beat them there. Your op reads as if you got killed on your nightblade by a sorc and instead of being analytical about your loss you decided to complain about it instead and make a nerf thread.

I never said I was playing a nightblade. I said D-Tier classes aren't receiving buffs.

"Since the idea of nerfing a class with such a kit is rage provoking and buffing the D tier classes clearly isn't happening this should make everyone happy, right?"

Suddenly responses are..
    "By the sounds of it your a nightblade 😂"
    "Too few problems with orthography and capitalisation to be a (Stamina-) Nightblade ;) He also did not stress how awesome his build, rotation, and DPS (in PvP) is. There wasn't even a rage-quit ultimatum :("
    "He thinks nightblade is a “D tier class” and that’s hilarious."

So what I'm hearing (despite never discussing) is that nightblade is a D-tier class directly from the folks who are quick to assume that's what its class definition is. If you slow down and read the original post, the only class you can even derive me complaining for a fix about is the necro healing pet.

Magcro is underwhelming and could definetly use an offensive buff. Stamcro is insanely strong. If someone asks what sets to use on a stamcro the answer is anything you want... They are incredibly strong and have no reliance on sets. Complaining about sorcs when by your own admission you main necros is absurd. It only enforces the idea of a learn to play issue that was already very apparent from the OP.

L2P is too easy of a go to. It lacks effort.

I've just laid out what their built in class kit is capable of.
    Thraben wrote: »

Let's review..

It's the perfect class with the perfect kit. But sometimes creativity spawns innovation.

1. BoL: I think it should be nerfed. In fact, I was against its current implementation in the first place. It forces other Magicka classes to become a Vampire in order to get the same benefits.

2. There are at least 3 classes that are better at it, including your MagNecro if you would stop playing it like a poor man's MagSorc.

3. If a Sorc is spamming shields, he does not put any pressure on the target. It's like blocking. Having 3 shields on your skill bar reduces your burst damage potential.

4. Every class can spam self heals. Sorc self heals have a lot of counterplay, too.

5. Every Magicka class can have infinite magicka if s/he wants to. A really good open world MagSorc won't even use Dark Deal, as Equilibrium is better for your burst damage.

6. Every class can do that.

7. True. Because, you know, what's the point of class skills if they are outperformed by generic weapon skills? Just look how much better Jabs are compared to Flurry.

8. Sorcs have the fewest stam supporting spam skills of all classes. It's actually a meme among more experienced players.

9. The Necro healing Pet is quite good - not because of the healing, but because of the damage reduction which other classes cannot get. It's the reason an able StamNecro is considered a really good Duelist.

10. Templars have an automatic 6k damage delayed burst after doing a 1-1-1-1-1-1 combo. Is it equally OP?

When considering class balance, you have to consider that there are more viable playstyles than Noob farming and kill leeching. If you try that on a MagNecro, of course it will feel like an uphill struggle. You have to play the classes according to their strengths. MagNecros and Magblades are "bomb" classes, MagTemplar and MagDK are 1vs1 classes, as are most Stamina classes, and MagSorcs are infamous Potato cannons.

The only class that really excels in most situations is the StamWarden. A normal MagSorc is no major threat to anyone who knows the game mechanics and changes his skill setup accordingly.

First off, thank you for putting together an intelligent and thought out response.

A few points that I disagree with though.

2. MagCro can only apply strong AoE pressure during ult which is rather expensive. I run a DoT/AoE build with double arena weapons but that doesn't say much about the class. If I'm missing a different solid build out there I'd love to see it since I'm unaware due to my own ignorance.

3 & 4. A strong shield and spam self heal is a 1 streak or 2 dodge roll reset. Example being break stun and gap close in about the same time sorc can shield and chunk heal. (Or dodge, shield, dodge, heal)

4. Not every class can spam self heals. Many rely on channels or HoTs. Unless your thinking of a cone heal from resto or something similar that heals for a fraction of that amount.

5&6. Just because every class can do it, doesn't mean they do it well. Necro scythe can do it in theory, but it's situational and performs poorly. Meanwhile hurricane is a larger circular AoE, grant minor expedition, major resolve, and sustained pressure. Some classes need 3 skills slotted to cover all of that.

7. The problem isn't that the class skills outperform, it's that they are one of the very few that do.

8. Most stam builds run weapon tree spams. I'm referring to crystal weapon which is a stronger Imbue Weapon that also grants some sustain and a debuff to the opponent.

9. Do you honestly feel that a 10% damage reduction and a channeled heal that often doesn't fire at all (This is a bug that will hopefully be fixed) is superior to a pet that is targetable, provides a burst heal from the same slot, does damage, and doesn't require 16 second refresh?

10. Key word is combo. "1-1-1-1-1-1" may be easy, but it's not as easy as "1". This one really can't be argued because there is no other way to get an auto fired execute in the game to my knowledge.

Your summary is solid, I have nothing to add.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Augusten15 I don't understand, are you trying to say this isn't a complaint thread? That would be a pretty hard thing to back peddle on.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concerning 2 (AoE damage) that's what I mean by do not try to play like a MagSorc: have you tried the self-synergy using the harmony trait? You don't even need an Ulti. You can do 18-20k AoE against players in one single burst, every 20 seconds, without even using an Ultimate. The self- synergy is actually comparable with Soul Tether, the 150 Ulti MagBlade Ultimate, as both have the same radius, do roughly the same damage and substantially heal the user.

No one does this because, like a Bombblade, you are in trouble in 1vs1 situations, where both struggle against Duelist-type players, and unlike a MagBlade, you don't have access to cloak, Sap Essence, and Impale. You can find workarounds as a Vampire and with Impulse, but it won't be exactly the same (and should not be).

Concerning 4 (heal): The only class that solely relies on HoTs is the Stamplar; that's why many generally use the Psijc Ultimate on their back bar in order to reset the fight. In all other cases, having a burst heal is a decision: One that requires knowledge of the game, perhaps (see the StamNecro burst heal using the Graveyard), and sacrifice, but it is still a decision. From time to time, you can even see MagBlades who don't use their cloak in order to get the healing morph. The MagSorc's options are seemingly easy: But they are still only options, as an experienced player will very well know the downsides of a Twilight Heal, or Dark Deal.

Concerning 8 (chrystal weapons) Oh, I would gladly trade the Ruinous Scythe for this "spammable". Maybe you find out, why. It would be GLORIOUS. Bound Weapons should be a StamSorc- thing anyways. Make it happen ZOS! :)

Concerning 9 (pets) I would not sacrifice my Winged Twilight, but I would gladly offer my scamp for such a deal (Please don't tell him)
    Oh, and I would trade the Curse for Blastbones as well. I miss my flaming familiar spell from Skyrim. Doesn't matter if it doesn't go off :)

RP- reasons aside, go to the Duelist community in the Alikr, and you will see that the damage transfer ghost is one of the 2 or 3 skills that actually make a difference when all the other skills are the same. It is the reason StamNecros are considered good Duelists.
    Edited by Thraben on March 2, 2021 12:42PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • MarioMario
    MarioMario
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently builded a meta balorgh/nma/seventh legion stamsorc for BG, it's performing nicely tbh, has very nice AoE burst.

But any class has its drawbacks. It's the rock, paper, scissors thing.

Stamsorc drawback #1: no access to purge, deadly thing nowadays, in this a-PROC-alypse meta.
    Magdk or Stamdk dot builds+syvarra, Proc-cro with unleashed, merciless, malacath, +15% passive dot damage, ruin me. BTW, same build are less deadly for a templar or necro that can just cleanse, or any magicka running curse eater.

Stamsorc drawback #2: if you want run malacath, you loose surge, your best self heal/brutality buff skill. If you don't run malacath, you downperform vs stamdk, stamden, stamcro, stamplar.

NOTE: Crystal Fragment it's crearly Over Performing, as it seems like tooltip dmg doesn't match effective dmg, it's my main single target source of damage.
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for rule violations, mostly Baiting. If you see a post that is baiting in nature do not engage it with further hostility and instead report it for the moderators to review. Remember when engaging in a discussion to keep it civil, constructive, and within the rules. Hostility will not help anyone.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Staff Post
  • Ecfigies
    Ecfigies
    ✭✭✭
    I've being trying magicka sorc in BG's, i may agree that it's quite decent for non-CP, even with easy setups, require not much of knowledge to be played, the combos are fairly easy to use, even better to survive.

For BG's i've being using Bright/Alfiq/Pirate Skeleton may have better gear for sure but it works quite well.

Now for CP, i've to tell, it's very situational, against decent players they're just annoying but if they get nearby they get rekt almost all the time, too much dmg around CP and shields don't hold that much dmg anymore.
  • Augusten15
    Augusten15
    ✭✭✭
    @Augusten15 I don't understand, are you trying to say this isn't a complaint thread? That would be a pretty hard thing to back peddle on.

I'm saying pointing out how a class is overperforming can easily be interpreted as a "complaint thread" if the reader is out for blood. That's why I never requested that anything be nerfed. I pointed out why I feel the game would be more enjoyable if the class was separated in PvP content as it feels like an outlier.

You can read in to this however you feel but my recent reply pointing out that to criticize a post about class performance by hypothetically choosing my main and telling me how OP that class is doesn't hold much ground.
  • Augusten15
    Augusten15
    ✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »
    Concerning 2 (AoE damage) that's what I mean by do not try to play like a MagSorc: have you tried the self-synergy using the harmony trait? You don't even need an Ulti. You can do 18-20k AoE against players in one single burst, every 20 seconds, without even using an Ultimate. The self- synergy is actually comparable with Soul Tether, the 150 Ulti MagBlade Ultimate, as both have the same radius, do roughly the same damage and substantially heal the user.

No one does this because, like a Bombblade, you are in trouble in 1vs1 situations, where both struggle against Duelist-type players, and unlike a MagBlade, you don't have access to cloak, Sap Essence, and Impale. You can find workarounds as a Vampire and with Impulse, but it won't be exactly the same (and should not be).

Concerning 4 (heal): The only class that solely relies on HoTs is the Stamplar; that's why many generally use the Psijc Ultimate on their back bar in order to reset the fight. In all other cases, having a burst heal is a decision: One that requires knowledge of the game, perhaps (see the StamNecro burst heal using the Graveyard), and sacrifice, but it is still a decision. From time to time, you can even see MagBlades who don't use their cloak in order to get the healing morph. The MagSorc's options are seemingly easy: But they are still only options, as an experienced player will very well know the downsides of a Twilight Heal, or Dark Deal.

Concerning 8 (chrystal weapons) Oh, I would gladly trade the Ruinous Scythe for this "spammable". Maybe you find out, why. It would be GLORIOUS. Bound Weapons should be a StamSorc- thing anyways. Make it happen ZOS! :)

Concerning 9 (pets) I would not sacrifice my Winged Twilight, but I would gladly offer my scamp for such a deal (Please don't tell him)
    Oh, and I would trade the Curse for Blastbones as well. I miss my flaming familiar spell from Skyrim. Doesn't matter if it doesn't go off :)

RP- reasons aside, go to the Duelist community in the Alikr, and you will see that the damage transfer ghost is one of the 2 or 3 skills that actually make a difference when all the other skills are the same. It is the reason StamNecros are considered good Duelists.

Harmony builds are a 1 trick pony and super situational, I agree. MagCro is in a tough place outside of the DoT passive.

You lost me at spam healing though.. Most stam classes don't have a heavy healing spammable. Rally requires a wind-up period so let's leave that out. Mag based only heals are worthless to a stam build. This leaves us with Stam based instant cast heals or stam based instant health steal.

For Magicka, MagCro feels like its heal is balanced pretty well because it's expensive and will burn through a mana pool in no time. Sorcs however can reset their health relentlessly. On my magsorc it's as simple as streak to cover ground and stun. Then while the opponent breaks and closes the gap I just spam a 2 combo of heal/shield, heal/heal, or shield/shield then convert some stamina and it's back to square one. It's so mindless it's unenjoyable.

If I referred to crystal weapons as a spammable that was by mistake. What I mean is it compliments spammables (aka DS or WW) better than any other class or non-class abilities.

Scamp is.. scamp lol. He gets new players excited about "2 pets!" until they start to learn the game and get the skill point back. Twilight is what I'm focused on.

Curse/blastbones is a matter of opinion but the reason I'd go for curse is because it can't be countered by terrain or stealth. They are both pillar skills in most builds though.

I definitely can't speak to "RP reasons" because my idea of fantasy stretches beyond medieval themes to as far as the Final Fantasy series so the laws of physics don't apply xD

I'll admit I don't duel much. Maybe this is carried over from other MMOs where dueling has never been a focus of balance because the vast majority of players are engaged in group content. (2 of greater vs 2 or greater) I'm not saying the point doesn't have any credence here, I just personally don't do it often. I'd be very happy to see ghost start channeling it's heal 100% of the time rather than calculating if it's owner or ally is <100% health because it borks quite often.