Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of July 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) – 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eso with more flashy combat... Thoughts?

barbarian340
barbarian340
✭✭✭
ESO is a well made mmo...one of the best of all time...so I know some may be against changes... but hear me out!

I personally would LOVE if eso would update it's combat with regards to asthetics...the current state is extremely vanilla... ESPECIALLY when it comes to melee...I see other mmos and I get jealous of their combat animations

One thing I loved about skyrim were the unique execute animations for every weapon... When it's the last enemy in an instance, there should be one used...

Some may not have a problem with the current animations, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for better... The #1 mmo on ps4 has very flashy magic and melee animations... So there's something to be said about how attractive it is to most people...

Thoughts? Would you be against better animations?
  • Coppes
    Coppes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please no, I can hardly see enemy AOEs currently.
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coppes wrote: »
    Please no

Yup.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭

What does that have to do with the animations? If I swing my sword a different way, that doesn't make it more difficult for you to see...

Maybe ur confusing flashy with literal flashes of light...that's not what I mean...I'm referring to how the character themselves move when swinging a sword or casting a spell...it looks vanilla
    Options
  • Coppes
    Coppes
    ✭✭✭✭

What does that have to do with the animations? If I swing my sword a different way, that doesn't make it more difficult for you to see...

Maybe ur confusing flashy with literal flashes of light...that's not what I mean...I'm referring to how the character themselves move when swinging a sword or casting a spell...it looks vanilla

You gotta give examples. If it’s just firing a bow in a weird way or swinging a sword unrealistically then my opinion stays the same.
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quit games with flashy animations like GW2 because I had no idea what in Oblivion was going on. ESO is getting close to that point but at least I can still see what's going on.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, no. Don't make ESO become GW2
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
    Options
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We want ESO to feel like Elder Scrolls, grounded, not like GW2 or WoW in their flashy and exaggerated animations
    Options
  • Kadraeus
    Kadraeus
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's already pretty flashy tbh, at least the boss fights are. I'm all for newer animations, though. I used a bow because melee weapons felt really awkward until I got abilities.

Also, that wall of frost or whatever it's called that mages sometimes cast is so annoying. Whenever it's activated it makes it super hard to see what I'm doing.
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭

You gotta give examples. If it’s just firing a bow in a weird way or swinging a sword unrealistically then my opinion stays the same.

Have u never played other video games with weapons? Eso isn't the only video game that uses weapons in a realistic manner... Besides realism goes out the door in a video game with sorcerers
    Edited by barbarian340 on February 11, 2021 1:42AM
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm okay with it the way it is. "Flashy" is not anything I'm interested in, in this game especially.
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    I quit games with flashy animations like GW2 because I had no idea what in Oblivion was going on. ESO is getting close to that point but at least I can still see what's going on.

Once again...u are in the minority...the top played mmo has flashy animations
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    We want ESO to feel like Elder Scrolls, grounded, not like GW2 or WoW in their flashy and exaggerated animations

It doesn't have to be extreme...but u mean to tell me there's only one way a swordsman can swing a sword? That's not realistic
    Options
  • drunkendx
    drunkendx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please, no. Don't make ESO become GW2

Exactly this
    Options
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 words... animation canceling... kinda doesn't matter.
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    I swear some of you don't watch much else than eso... This is an example of flashy sword animations... Just because something is flashy doesn't mean it can't be done in real life... Experts exist, and in eso ur supposed to be an expert

https://youtu.be/Laafd9oKOA0
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    2 words... animation canceling... kinda doesn't matter.

Not everyone animation cancels
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    I'm okay with it the way it is. "Flashy" is not anything I'm interested in, in this game especially.

Ok...that's ur opinion...mine is different
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Kadraeus wrote: »
    It's already pretty flashy tbh, at least the boss fights are. I'm all for newer animations, though. I used a bow because melee weapons felt really awkward until I got abilities.

Also, that wall of frost or whatever it's called that mages sometimes cast is so annoying. Whenever it's activated it makes it super hard to see what I'm doing.

No one is talking about the look of the abilities...read the post...I'm talking about the animations of the character...there is more than one way to swing a sword
    Options
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind if some of the animations were a little more... well, well-done. Many attacks' animations currently feel kind of stiff and hesitant. Or light and playful (instead of powerful and worthwhile).

I don't know if I'd want it to get as quick or energetic-looking as in that video linked above, but something leaning a bit more in that direction would be nice.

Personally, I feel like quick/flashy types of movements lack a certain weightyness(?); and while they may be realistic, they don't really translate too well into "feeling good" in this sort of game, imo.

We could use attack animations that were more "I'M GOING TO CRUSH YOUR SKULL!! BWAHAHAHA" and less "heheheh, I'm not touching you! :trollface: I'm not touching you! :trollface: heh" The Bash animation in particular always sorta struck me (heh) as looking more on the side of annoying instead of effective. I'm sure most other animations could be criticized similarly; but overall they're ... adequate.

So yeah. I'm in favor of better animations, but I don't know if I want "flashy", even as you mean it @barbarian340

EDIT :: Also, sorry nearly everyone misunderstood your meaning, OP. I had to read a bit more carefully to not think the same thing, FWIW. Flashy is kind of a questionable word choice in this context, given that ESO's ability animations are too flashy (in the literal flashy, blinky, omgsomanylightsinmyface sense) when heavily overlapped. My mind immediately went to "oh god, no!" as well.
    Edited by GreenHere on February 11, 2021 2:11AM
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if some of the animations were a little more... well, well-done. Many attacks' animations currently feel kind of stiff and hesitant. Or light and playful (instead of powerful and worthwhile).

I don't know if I'd want it to get as quick or energetic-looking as in that video linked above, but something leaning a bit more in that direction would be nice.

Personally, I feel like quick/flashy types of movements lack a certain weightyness(?); and while they may be realistic, they don't really translate too well into "feeling good" in this sort of game, imo.

We could use attack animations that were more "I'M GOING TO CRUSH YOUR SKULL!! BWAHAHAHA" and less "heheheh, I'm not touching you! :trollface: I'm not touching you! :trollface: heh" The Bash animation in particular always sorta struck me (heh) as looking more on the side of annoying instead of effective. I'm sure most other animations could be criticized similarly; but overall they're ... adequate.

So yeah. I'm in favor of better animations, but I don't know if I want "flashy", even as you mean it @barbarian340

EDIT :: Also, sorry nearly everyone misunderstood your meaning, OP. I had to read a bit more carefully to not think the same thing, FWIW. Flashy is kind of a questionable word choice in this context, given that ESO's ability animations are too flashy (in the literal flashy, blinky, omgsomanylightsinmyface sense) when heavily overlapped. My mind immediately went to "oh god, no!" as well.

Yea I see how my point could have been misunderstood...and I agree with u...better animations, and more animations...for example the animation for 2handed crit charge is really bad... U mean to tell me we can't have it perform the exact same way with a better animation? The bow ultimate animation looks vanilla... Same with the 2 handed and dw ultimates... Flawless dawnbreaker's animation is extremely flawed... Lol
    Options
  • Kadraeus
    Kadraeus
    ✭✭✭✭

That clears things up a bit ngl
    Options
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I think many misunderstood your use of the word flashy when discussing the animations. Personally I'm in agreement with you after playing a few other games that simply have a more satisfying melee combat system.

Take the basic light attacks in ESO, super boring and bland, especially for the 2hdr. A simple swing of the weapon back and forth. Is adding a little flair to the animations really going to disrupt combat for others? No one is talking flashing lights and needless light effects I believe lol.

I'm pretty sure that their as bland as they are due to the game having a 1st person option though, but what we have currently is quite frankly underwhelming.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
    Options
  • Auztinito
    Auztinito
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t mind better animations. My problem with it currently is the floaty / weightlessness to it all. Nothing has that impact or weight that a lot of skills should have. IMO, it’s the combat that needs to overhauled and light weaving disabled/content not balanced around it making it more of choice instead.
    Edited by Auztinito on February 11, 2021 3:02AM
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »
    Yea, I think many misunderstood your use of the word flashy when discussing the animations. Personally I'm in agreement with you after playing a few other games that simply have a more satisfying melee combat system.

Take the basic light attacks in ESO, super boring and bland, especially for the 2hdr. A simple swing of the weapon back and forth. Is adding a little flair to the animations really going to disrupt combat for others? No one is talking flashing lights and needless light effects I believe lol.

I'm pretty sure that their as bland as they are due to the game having a 1st person option though, but what we have currently is quite frankly underwhelming.

Precisely...but there are games with first person views that have better animations...so I don't think that's wats preventing them...I just think they have had these animations forever...since skyrim...and didnt wanna go through changing it
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Auztinito wrote: »
    I wouldn’t mind better animations. My problem with it currently is the floaty / weightlessness to it all. Nothing has that impact or weight that a lot of skills should have. IMO, it’s the combat that needs to overhauled and light weaving disabled/content not balanced around it making it more of choice instead.

You have no idea how much I HATE light weaving...if we wanna talk realism, light wealing isn't a thing done in normal combat...and it looks silly...if there is a way to eliminate light wealing while boosting the damage of the other attacks, I'll love this game even more...

And I agree one hundred percent with the weightlessness... sometimes I don't even know when an animation has ended so I can light weave...I kinda have to guess and go off experience...the jabs for the DW is an example...2 handed attacks should have MUCH more impact
    Options
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Setting aside that "better" animations is subjective and that "flashy" was probably not the best choice of words to convey what the OP seems to be wanting...

... from what I understand, completely redoing the rigging for this game's animations would be a very complex and involved process. Given this developer prioritizes profit and cost-effectiveness, there's just nothing to be gained from all that work. It would have to be a free update, which means no profit, which means no priority. No, if they update models and rigging all of that is going to go into the new cash suck MMO they are currently developing, not this one. Just being realistic.

Plus, there's a general precedent in this game of not changing existing assets and respecting the work of their colleagues. It's why we have ancestral motifs being introduced instead of the old racial motifs being deleted from the game and replaced with "better" ones. The only times they've changed animations/visuals is when something's been a genuine bug/mistake or if a skill has received very significant changes such that the current assets would no longer make sense to use.

When and if there is an "ESO remake" it might be reasonable to ask about updating all assets across the game - animations, foliage, removing the cash shop, and so on - but until then? It won't happen.
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Besides realism goes out the door in a video game with sorcerers

that's not true. I don't necessarily disagree with doing more to the animations but just because the TES world has magic, doesn't mean ''anything goes.'' There's still physics and stuff. The TES world has its own realism.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher
    Options
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Setting aside that "better" animations is subjective and that "flashy" was probably not the best choice of words to convey what the OP seems to be wanting...

... from what I understand, completely redoing the rigging for this game's animations would be a very complex and involved process. Given this developer prioritizes profit and cost-effectiveness, there's just nothing to be gained from all that work. It would have to be a free update, which means no profit, which means no priority. No, if they update models and rigging all of that is going to go into the new cash suck MMO they are currently developing, not this one. Just being realistic.

Plus, there's a general precedent in this game of not changing existing assets and respecting the work of their colleagues. It's why we have ancestral motifs being introduced instead of the old racial motifs being deleted from the game and replaced with "better" ones. The only times they've changed animations/visuals is when something's been a genuine bug/mistake or if a skill has received very significant changes such that the current assets would no longer make sense to use.

When and if there is an "ESO remake" it might be reasonable to ask about updating all assets across the game - animations, foliage, removing the cash shop, and so on - but until then? It won't happen.

Hmmm...u make great points...now that u mention it, I honestly can't see them making that change because it won't be monetized...that makes complete sense
    Options
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »

Sadly, this pretty much sums it up.

I agree with (spirit of) the thread in principle, but this post in practice. Improving the base animations is a pretty good bet in the "not gonna happen" category, I'd say. :disappointed:

Options
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...u make great points...now that u mention it, I honestly can't see them making that change because it won't be monetized...that makes complete sense

It makes sense given the development history of this game.

If there are some significant leadership changes in the development priorities for this game, it is at least hypothetically possible. Given the recent buy out by Microsoft, there's even a glimmer of hope that monetization will no longer be steering the ship. Companies often ramp up monetization and fixate on profits when they are looking to sell out to a bidder and that process is now complete. So maybe, just maybe...

... but probably not. Watching Microsoft cut deals with EA doesn't give me a lot of optimism.
    Options