Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Eso with more flashy combat... Thoughts?

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    ESO is a well made mmo...one of the best of all time...so I know some may be against changes... but hear me out!

I personally would LOVE if eso would update it's combat with regards to asthetics...the current state is extremely vanilla... ESPECIALLY when it comes to melee...I see other mmos and I get jealous of their combat animations

One thing I loved about skyrim were the unique execute animations for every weapon... When it's the last enemy in an instance, there should be one used...

Some may not have a problem with the current animations, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for better... The #1 mmo on ps4 has very flashy magic and melee animations... So there's something to be said about how attractive it is to most people...

Thoughts? Would you be against better animations?

Please, no. I want to play an Elder Scrolls game, not a slow motion cinematic anime set piece. My personal opinion only, if the game you have in mind is the same one I do, the ridiculous weapons and the totally over the top combat animations would ruin the game. I don't want to watch an uninterruptible combat animation. Especially in an mmo. What are other players seeing/doing while the pointless flippy swooshing "cinematic" animation plays out? If I'm in a group, do I have to watch someone else's "execute" moves? How would that work with lag?

1. Ur not talking about the mmo I mean, because the one I'm referring to is almost exactly like this one, except better animations and more popular...I don't want to say the name because it may violate policy

2. How is better sword swinging animations an anime set piece? Have you never seen real life swordplay?

3. How would the skyrim execute moves affect lag? Does the blade of woe execute moves affect lag? You already watch them do every other kind of move...and I clearly stated the execute animations can be procced on the final enemy in an encounter...just like skyrim
    3) Skyrim execute had some flaws. First if you hunted stuff like deer you would always get an execute move preventing you from shooting multiple arrows fast and killing multiple deer.
    In some cases then you did sneak attack the game did execute even if other enemy nearby as you was not in combat.
    Getting execute on every dammed rat got boring.

Especially in PvP I can easy see an execute bugging out.
    The blade of woe animation is an downside if its multiple enemies however this is an game play mechanic as its intended for single targets alone.

Now on boss kills they would be cool, some quest bosses has this but it had to be enabled on an boss basis.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »
    Only way they would do this is if they could sell it in the crown store. There’s very little chance they would do an animation overhaul for free.

I actually agree with this, now if only the players who keep asking for a free overland overhaul would understand and accept this.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gunna go with no to more flashy combat.

Why? I just took a group of players who had never been in a trial before to do an ncr and they were borderline overwhelmed with all of the things going on. Flashier combat would only exacerbate the problem, not make things more fun and entertaining. Not to mention the extra strain the flashy animations would put on an already overburdened game engine.

I don't need flashy disco ball stimulus to enjoy the game so long as the gameplay is functional and fun.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "More flashy combat"

Does anyone actually watch the combat that closely, or are they paying attention to the enemies/red circles/positioning/etc?

In my case, I don't even play the very high level combat parts of the game, and I still couldn't tell you anything about the "animation canceling makes the attacks look silly!" thing that people talk about. Never seen it, I've never looked that closely at what my character is doing while attacking. I honestly couldn't tell you anything about the "quality" of the attack animations. /shrug

• Mastery404
    Mastery404
    ✭✭
    Have you ever tried to light attack during combat, or even during PVP? I mean, just light or heavy attack someone? The life bar does not move. Not one bit. That's one of the reasons we feel that light and heavy attacks are just one mimic. Animations ain't that bad to be honest.

It's the fact that basic attacks become something to be weaved or forgotten. I just PVP'd with my warden and I felt like basic attacking. I still can hear the laughter of my rivals.

I would say, increase their damage by a-lot%, add some build ups to increase the damage of the skills based on the basic attacks and here we go. Combat fixed.

You are welcome.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    I quit games with flashy animations like GW2 because I had no idea what in Oblivion was going on. ESO is getting close to that point but at least I can still see what's going on.

Once again...u are in the minority...the top played mmo has flashy animations

Don't go calling people minorities as it doesn't reflect good on you when you do.

I've always enjoyed the simplicity of Elder Scrolls combat as it made more sense. I remember someone making a similar thread like this one and he posted a video of a game where the magic user was twirling his staff around for every single spell cast like it was some Band Leader's baton. It was over the top rediculous and such a think would not work in Elder Scrolls lore where its commonly accepted you point your finger at someone and fire shoots out.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gunna go with no to more flashy combat.

Why? I just took a group of players who had never been in a trial before to do an ncr and they were borderline overwhelmed with all of the things going on. Flashier combat would only exacerbate the problem, not make things more fun and entertaining. Not to mention the extra strain the flashy animations would put on an already overburdened game engine.

I don't need flashy disco ball stimulus to enjoy the game so long as the gameplay is functional and fun.

I really wish u would read more than just the first post...it was already clarified I didn't mean particle effects, but the actual wooden character movements
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    I quit games with flashy animations like GW2 because I had no idea what in Oblivion was going on. ESO is getting close to that point but at least I can still see what's going on.

Once again...u are in the minority...the top played mmo has flashy animations

Don't go calling people minorities as it doesn't reflect good on you when you do.

I've always enjoyed the simplicity of Elder Scrolls combat as it made more sense. I remember someone making a similar thread like this one and he posted a video of a game where the magic user was twirling his staff around for every single spell cast like it was some Band Leader's baton. It was over the top rediculous and such a think would not work in Elder Scrolls lore where its commonly accepted you point your finger at someone and fire shoots out.

I disagree...it's just a matter of taste... It's not lore that the swordsmen have bad animations... Lore isn't defined by how cool you look doing things .. that's just called wooden... If there is a tv series that has had great storytelling but bad fight scenes for years, you don't fight against getting better fight scenes because it has always been bad... That's not a good argument
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. The game is way too laggy already.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coppes wrote: »
    Please no, I can hardly see enemy AOEs currently.

What does that have to do with the animations? If I swing my sword a different way, that doesn't make it more difficult for you to see...

Maybe ur confusing flashy with literal flashes of light...that's not what I mean...I'm referring to how the character themselves move when swinging a sword or casting a spell...it looks vanilla

You should really redo the title of the post. Most people are going the think flashy means you want huge explosions of colored light every time you use a skill.
    What you're asking for is more realistic, varied animations.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It saddens me looking at other games and then back at eso. Like nothing stands out at all
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd support the Personalities in-game altering our ability animations as well, definitely. I'd be against them turning us into Ninjas and Ballet Dancers from most JRPGs and Korean MMOs.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lately I've been skillpoints with a char wearing Red Mountain & Defiler sets (mobs die, why bother finer gearing). It's pretty flashy but definitely not in a good way! I's like clear and consistent telegraphing for everything more than fancy animations and particles. That would actually be useful.
  • Slimebrow
    Slimebrow
    ✭✭✭
    I want better animations and better combat system, Each faction should have their own combat animations and stances.

I just don't want this game turning into another weeb MMO, there are plenty of weeb mmos with flashy combat in the MMO field.

Knowing this company I doubt they will be making combat changes as it will have to done for free. Unless they find a way to sell it to you in their crown store. I just don't see them addressing the core issues of this game.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Flashy" is the wrong word. "Weighty" would be more appropriate.

The melee animations in this game are very floaty, lacking in impact, and your toon doesn't create a line of motion that would make the force believable. I find melee off-putting.

I play magSorc primarily because it feels a little bit better to me. Liquid lightning feels like a believable lightning bolt, the thomp of a storm atronach feels good. Destro skill line is decent too, I love slamming my staff on the ground for blockade and the ult feels good too. I do have a problem with force pulse/crushing shock, though. It's meant to be a blast of all the elements and it looks and sounds like a unicorn puff. I'd like to see the particle effects toned down (a beam of lightning with flame and ice shards on impact, maybe) and the sound adjusted (crack of lightning, roar of flame, sound of ice breaking).

I don't like the direction they're going with their new class and skill animations. I've tried Warden, Necro, and Vampire and they all have similar problems. Too many particle effects, still feels floaty. Warden takes the cake here; you're throwing cliff racers at things, which looks ridiculous enough to begin with, and then they seem to just phase through whatever you're throwing them at with no impact. I do, however, enjoy that Vamp skill line allows me to finally hit something in the face with my staff. That's all I've ever wanted.

/Tangent
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man reading some of these comments just perplexes me, though I realized something TC, animation cancelling. These people don't even look at their characters combat animations, all they care about is the end results, most likely Pvper's and dps heads where the numbers are the only thing that matters to them.

Then there are the magic users who also don't care about animations as they are used to blandness. Sorry couldn't resist that dig.

I'm genuinely interested in knowing how many of the naysayers play magic characters or main a melee class that doesn't lean on animation cancelling?

Shame that they are confusing flashy particle effects instead of understanding it's about a more dynamic animation. Example? Take your magsorc ability, the one that has a cast time, but can be instantly fired if you use certain type of attack preceding it. It has two different freaking animations for the same skill.

Now for those of you not leaning on ACing you'll notice one of the animations is this really cool move where she is twirling her arms around before she fires off the attack, the other a basic bland animation.

I sure hope we are all in agreement though, requests like this require resources and time. Which requires funding. Something that the naysayers should keep in mind when they are asking for more pvp content, or a complete overhaul of the overland or a new anything that they deem more worthy than this request.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    Starlock wrote: »
    Setting aside that "better" animations is subjective and that "flashy" was probably not the best choice of words to convey what the OP seems to be wanting...

... from what I understand, completely redoing the rigging for this game's animations would be a very complex and involved process. Given this developer prioritizes profit and cost-effectiveness, there's just nothing to be gained from all that work. It would have to be a free update, which means no profit, which means no priority. No, if they update models and rigging all of that is going to go into the new cash suck MMO they are currently developing, not this one. Just being realistic.

Plus, there's a general precedent in this game of not changing existing assets and respecting the work of their colleagues. It's why we have ancestral motifs being introduced instead of the old racial motifs being deleted from the game and replaced with "better" ones. The only times they've changed animations/visuals is when something's been a genuine bug/mistake or if a skill has received very significant changes such that the current assets would no longer make sense to use.

When and if there is an "ESO remake" it might be reasonable to ask about updating all assets across the game - animations, foliage, removing the cash shop, and so on - but until then? It won't happen.

also trying to make it work in first person as well

Cyberpunk does it

Cyberpunk was built like that and released like that.

Not exactly a fair comparison to them say ESO should make those kinds of major changes to the animation
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »
    Man reading some of these comments just perplexes me, though I realized something TC, animation cancelling. These people don't even look at their characters combat animations, all they care about is the end results, most likely Pvper's and dps heads where the numbers are the only thing that matters to them.

Then there are the magic users who also don't care about animations as they are used to blandness. Sorry couldn't resist that dig.

I'm genuinely interested in knowing how many of the naysayers play magic characters or main a melee class that doesn't lean on animation cancelling?

I'm actually not a super combat guru, and barely understand animation canceling. That said, no - I don't look at my characters' combat animations - I look at what they're aiming at, what attacks the enemies are sending my way, where I'm moving, etc. There's enough other stuff going on in combat, why would I be looking at my characters' animations? I need to pay attention to the actual gameplay.

(and yeah, I like to dress up my characters & make them look good - but I save the "look at them" part for when they're just standing around / posing / taking screenshots. Not during combat. /shrug)
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on February 12, 2021 3:36PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm actually not a super combat guru, and barely understand animation canceling. That said, no - I don't look at my characters' combat animations - I look at what they're aiming at, what attacks the enemies are sending my way, where I'm moving, etc. There's enough other stuff going on in combat, why would I be looking at my characters' animations? I need to pay attention to the actual gameplay.

(and yeah, I like to dress up my characters & make them look good - but I save the "look at them" part for when they're just standing around / posing / taking screenshots. Not during combat. /shrug)

^^
    This.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What prevents this is the near requirement that all skills fit in to the 1s animation window or less.

Anything that doesn't feels clunky to use and is generally avoided. You could create skills with cast times and channels to create more animation variability but because of how combat in this game is designed (highly reactionary, need to move, dodge, block, bash at the right time and the lack of CDs on these things) anything with a channel or cast time needs to be very strong to be worth the risk. This creates to large of an alpha strike possibility and the devs are actively nerfing alpha strike abilities.

I would love better (not flashy, I get what you mean) but I think it just isn't easily shohorned into the current combat system.
  • vilio11
    vilio11
    ✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if some of the animations were a little more... well, well-done. Many attacks' animations currently feel kind of stiff and hesitant. Or light and playful (instead of powerful and worthwhile).

I feel that Nightblade animation are realy bad.
  • griffkhalifa
    griffkhalifa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Coppes wrote: »
    Please no

Yup.

Agreed. I recently started playing FFXIV to try out a different MMO and I can't even see what's going on most of the time while in combat because there's just so many effects and animations at once. I literally can't even see who I'm attacking 90% of the time.
    PS4 NA
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the combat's flashy enough. Sure it'd be nice to have some cool visuals for all skills, but it'd quickly become sensory overload. Wildstar's a good example, super fun skill system but I found myself constantly looking for ways to quiet the game UI and experience down.

Personally, what I think the game is missing is sense of tactility. This is where single player games shine above MMOs. Unless I'm blocking or doing a heavy attack, I don't really feel anything as a console player. For as dynamic as the combat system is, it doesn't always feel alive. Compared to Wildstar or GW2 (two best combat systems, IMO), it could use a little more zazz. I'd love for an MMO to feel like Kingdoms of Amalur or something, but that's not realistic.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess the combat really is challenging for some of you. I can easily focus on everything you stated while still easily being able to clearly see what my characters are doing and barely lose any health.

This game is so blatantly easy I'm surprised any longtime vet needs to actually pay attention to the combat while in combat. /Shrug.
    -Hemingway
  • Jeffrey530
    Jeffrey530
    ✭✭✭✭

Guess the combat really is challenging for some of you. I can easily focus on everything you stated while still easily being able to clearly see what my characters are doing and barely lose any health.

This game is so blatantly easy I'm surprised any longtime vet needs to actually pay attention to the combat while in combat. /Shrug.

You must be a master of this game then, earned all those godslayer, unchained, flawless conqueror, emperor while watching netflix and cooking your dinner at the same time.
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go learn "flashy".

All people understood your topic with color of spells and how much effects there is in fight. Not the animations.

You mean "punshy" with better animations. And yes that would be nice.

The gameplay in general should be more dynamic, not only the animations.
  • Basaz
    Basaz
    ✭✭
    Thoughts? Would you be against better animations?

I quite like the animation and style of the game, it fits together nicely. Is it the best? No. The only animation I really dislike is the heavy dual wield swing where you spins the weapons. It looks really cheesy. That said, I wouldn't be against new animations.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeffrey530 wrote: »

You must be a master of this game then, earned all those godslayer, unchained, flawless conqueror, emperor while watching netflix and cooking your dinner at the same time.

Titles and achievements mean absolutely nothing to me. Simply not a carrot that works on me. I play the content that I enjoy and 90% of it takes place in the overland, which is pretty brain dead easy for long time vets, or so I thought lol.

Master no, but I can solo quite a few world bosses and regular dungeons without needing to look at what the scripted npc's are doing for the umpteenth time to be effective in combat.

Can't remember the last time I died or even came close to it in pve quite frankly.

If we are going to have 90% of the game present ZERO challenge for some of us then darn it I'd at least like to be engaged in what I'm doing and looking at instead of cooking my dinner and watching Netflix as my characters just blow everything away boring swing after boring swing lol.

And yes, I'd pay for a new weapon skill line if it came with more appealing animations, regardless of the weapon type.
    -Hemingway
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    I always though heavy attacks were boring (especially 2H). But let's face it...any animation gets boring after you've done it a few thousand times. :/

the 2h heavy attack is just awful.. I stand there holding my sword over one shoulder for a minute before anything happens... WTF!?!? Looks bad man.