Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Eso with more flashy combat... Thoughts?

• PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO is a well made mmo...one of the best of all time...so I know some may be against changes... but hear me out!

I personally would LOVE if eso would update it's combat with regards to asthetics...the current state is extremely vanilla... ESPECIALLY when it comes to melee...I see other mmos and I get jealous of their combat animations

One thing I loved about skyrim were the unique execute animations for every weapon... When it's the last enemy in an instance, there should be one used...

Some may not have a problem with the current animations, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for better... The #1 mmo on ps4 has very flashy magic and melee animations... So there's something to be said about how attractive it is to most people...

Thoughts? Would you be against better animations?

It'd be great, but those of us on PS4 and Xbox would never be able to run it.
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    ESO is a well made mmo...one of the best of all time...so I know some may be against changes... but hear me out!

I personally would LOVE if eso would update it's combat with regards to asthetics...the current state is extremely vanilla... ESPECIALLY when it comes to melee...I see other mmos and I get jealous of their combat animations

One thing I loved about skyrim were the unique execute animations for every weapon... When it's the last enemy in an instance, there should be one used...

Some may not have a problem with the current animations, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for better... The #1 mmo on ps4 has very flashy magic and melee animations... So there's something to be said about how attractive it is to most people...

It'd be great, but those of us on PS4 and Xbox would never be able to run it.

There's mmos on ps4 that have good animations
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always though heavy attacks were boring (especially 2H). But let's face it...any animation gets boring after you've done it a few thousand times. :/
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Setting aside that "better" animations is subjective and that "flashy" was probably not the best choice of words to convey what the OP seems to be wanting...

... from what I understand, completely redoing the rigging for this game's animations would be a very complex and involved process. Given this developer prioritizes profit and cost-effectiveness, there's just nothing to be gained from all that work. It would have to be a free update, which means no profit, which means no priority. No, if they update models and rigging all of that is going to go into the new cash suck MMO they are currently developing, not this one. Just being realistic.

Plus, there's a general precedent in this game of not changing existing assets and respecting the work of their colleagues. It's why we have ancestral motifs being introduced instead of the old racial motifs being deleted from the game and replaced with "better" ones. The only times they've changed animations/visuals is when something's been a genuine bug/mistake or if a skill has received very significant changes such that the current assets would no longer make sense to use.

When and if there is an "ESO remake" it might be reasonable to ask about updating all assets across the game - animations, foliage, removing the cash shop, and so on - but until then? It won't happen.

also trying to make it work in first person as well
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks. A tanks job is already a nightmare with all the pets, flashing light affects and monster gear spawns that we can't see the boss.
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want more flashy combat, I want it more natural without "hey, how did it hit me, I wasn't standing there" and waving my weapons 100km away from enemies. And Dark Souls-style backstabs.
  • Misty
    Misty
    ✭✭✭
    Even without thinking about it, NO.
    Flashy combat is all about mashing a button and not having a clue how you just won or lost the fight. The combat in ECO has to be learned, practised and perfected. Your skills and traits mean something more than it flashes peacock yellow rather than cosmic purple.

I have to say this. I commend the dev's for keeping the graphics up to date and beautiful over the years. They don't need no eastern flash to keep it alive.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Better animations for sure.

The animations are meant to be seen again and again for over a decade so they have a massive impact on how the game is seen and really should be done to perfection. Even if it means outsourcing to a studio that specializes in combat animations like what is done with 'Black Desert Online'.

edit: Even Grinding Gear Games from 'Path of Exile' has revealed they outsource work to a studio that specializes in that. It is a legitimate thing now.

Edited by Red_Feather on February 11, 2021 8:46AM
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am against it. Better animations - is subjective.

Better melee combat animations for me would be something that is described in this 5 minutes long video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZ6qWSenqI&list=PLxClq4a6GD73kaPeAWbchwwixKl7z1oFS&index=55

TL;DW: realistic usage of shields and weapon swings. Which other people may not like at all. So leave it please as it is, it is pretty unrealistic, but I got used to it and there are people that like such "tacticool" combat, it is like a middle ground.
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess, that would make server performance even worse. So no!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say ESO combat is flashy enough.

Now an flashy move used on me then stealing in Orcinum as an low cp player.
    One huge orc player dropped the standard of might on me and I almost had to change pants :)

The ultimate are flashy, the spamables are not for obvious reasons.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stahlor wrote: »
    No impact on server, however client will get more effects to show, this is the main problem in huge trash fights.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Please, no. I want to play an Elder Scrolls game, not a slow motion cinematic anime set piece. My personal opinion only, if the game you have in mind is the same one I do, the ridiculous weapons and the totally over the top combat animations would ruin the game. I don't want to watch an uninterruptible combat animation. Especially in an mmo. What are other players seeing/doing while the pointless flippy swooshing "cinematic" animation plays out? If I'm in a group, do I have to watch someone else's "execute" moves? How would that work with lag?
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game has had a longtime infection of raidculture. What it looks like is irrelevant. All that matters is that it is as fast, as efficient and as exclusive as possible.

You just have to learn to love your ugly shoddy systems.

It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    I always though heavy attacks were boring (especially 2H). But let's face it...any animation gets boring after you've done it a few thousand times. :/

Better than it being boring from the first time...lol
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    I say ESO combat is flashy enough.

Now an flashy move used on me then stealing in Orcinum as an low cp player.
    One huge orc player dropped the standard of might on me and I almost had to change pants :)

The ultimate are flashy, the spamables are not for obvious reasons.

If u read through the thread, there was some mix up...I wasn't referring to particle effects...I meant the character animations...like sword swinging and the body movements when casting spells, etc
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Scardan wrote: »
    I am against it. Better animations - is subjective.

Better melee combat animations for me would be something that is described in this 5 minutes long video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZ6qWSenqI&list=PLxClq4a6GD73kaPeAWbchwwixKl7z1oFS&index=55

TL;DW: realistic usage of shields and weapon swings. Which other people may not like at all. So leave it please as it is, it is pretty unrealistic, but I got used to it and there are people that like such "tacticool" combat, it is like a middle ground.

But just because you got used to it doesn't mean it should stay the same...I have been playing from the beginning and always hated it...
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    Starlock wrote: »
    Setting aside that "better" animations is subjective and that "flashy" was probably not the best choice of words to convey what the OP seems to be wanting...

... from what I understand, completely redoing the rigging for this game's animations would be a very complex and involved process. Given this developer prioritizes profit and cost-effectiveness, there's just nothing to be gained from all that work. It would have to be a free update, which means no profit, which means no priority. No, if they update models and rigging all of that is going to go into the new cash suck MMO they are currently developing, not this one. Just being realistic.

Plus, there's a general precedent in this game of not changing existing assets and respecting the work of their colleagues. It's why we have ancestral motifs being introduced instead of the old racial motifs being deleted from the game and replaced with "better" ones. The only times they've changed animations/visuals is when something's been a genuine bug/mistake or if a skill has received very significant changes such that the current assets would no longer make sense to use.

When and if there is an "ESO remake" it might be reasonable to ask about updating all assets across the game - animations, foliage, removing the cash shop, and so on - but until then? It won't happen.

also trying to make it work in first person as well

Cyberpunk does it
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Stahlor wrote: »

Swinging my 2 handed sword in a different way wouldn't crash the server...ppl said the same thing when I mentioned years back we should have companions...now look...the servers are fine
  • PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no flashy lights, this isn't a disco party
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    Misty wrote: »
    Even without thinking about it, NO.
    Flashy combat is all about mashing a button and not having a clue how you just won or lost the fight. The combat in ECO has to be learned, practised and perfected. Your skills and traits mean something more than it flashes peacock yellow rather than cosmic purple.

I have to say this. I commend the dev's for keeping the graphics up to date and beautiful over the years. They don't need no eastern flash to keep it alive.

What u said made no sense...there's beloved MMOs that are more popular that have better combat animations
  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

Please, no. I want to play an Elder Scrolls game, not a slow motion cinematic anime set piece. My personal opinion only, if the game you have in mind is the same one I do, the ridiculous weapons and the totally over the top combat animations would ruin the game. I don't want to watch an uninterruptible combat animation. Especially in an mmo. What are other players seeing/doing while the pointless flippy swooshing "cinematic" animation plays out? If I'm in a group, do I have to watch someone else's "execute" moves? How would that work with lag?

1. Ur not talking about the mmo I mean, because the one I'm referring to is almost exactly like this one, except better animations and more popular...I don't want to say the name because it may violate policy

2. How is better sword swinging animations an anime set piece? Have you never seen real life swordplay?

3. How would the skyrim execute moves affect lag? Does the blade of woe execute moves affect lag? You already watch them do every other kind of move...and I clearly stated the execute animations can be procced on the final enemy in an encounter...just like skyrim

• Mastery404
    Mastery404
    ✭✭
    I think that a far deeper tweak would have to be done rather than just improving the animations.

But I agree, ESO is quite enjoyable despite its clumsy combat.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have u never played other video games with weapons? Eso isn't the only video game that uses weapons in a realistic manner... Besides realism goes out the door in a video game with sorcerers

This is such a ridiclous reason. It's called suspension of disbelief. Yes, it has magic, but that doesn't mean everything goes. Fantasy settings still has certain in-world rules and themes it adheres to, and most of them also follow some real life laws to a degree. Like gravity.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only way they would do this is if they could sell it in the crown store. There’s very little chance they would do an animation overhaul for free.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rather they tone down like all skills by 50% in flashy and then redo all the animations to be more pleasing and fluid
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »
    Only way they would do this is if they could sell it in the crown store. There’s very little chance they would do an animation overhaul for free.

Not that it's the same, but the Personalities they sell alter various animations and I enjoy a lot of those just for the sake of injecting a little, well, personality into my various characters.

If ZOS offered alternate/additional/premium packs of some sort that also altered combat animations? Well... they'd have to be pretty outrageously priced, or particularly poorly done for them not to be an INSTANT buy for me!

I'd prefer it as a free (obviously, lol) QoL change to the game that everyone gets to enjoy, but if paying for it is the only way it gets done then I'm personally onboard for that!
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see all the overdone graphical effects turned down. The main animations are not for me a big deal. I've done re-enactment and all MMO combat is so far from any kind of reality it's more like a custard pie fight anyway. I'd certainly rather the ESO combat than the ridiculous stuff in things like BDO.

There are animation fixes (and just plain missing stuff) that would be nice - but they are mostly overland/questing/rp ones where it actually matters more.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In other mmos you are waiting for cooldowns and its not as fast paced. In ESO I need to see the skills my opponent uses and react to them, so less flashy means its better/easier to play.
  • Khajiitihaswares
    Khajiitihaswares
    ✭✭✭
    I do not know if I want flashy combat as is you animation cancel most of it.