The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Great Vvardenfell Housing Renewal Proposal of 2E 582

• Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed OP.

Balmora was iconic in the original Morrowind, in ESO it feels like an after thought.

And really, the entirety of the Morrowind expansion felt lackluster. The game that opened up Elder Scrolls to the world and made it mainstream deserved a lot more attention.

Sadly, its done and I doubt they will revisit old content to make it better. Their only interest is making new content to sell.

So much for the craft of making a game :(
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see them revisit some of the older areas and give us more housing in them.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    I would like to see them revisit some of the older areas and give us more housing in them.

I agree, but I doubt it will happen. From a business standpoint they are not interested in updating old content. It does not make them money.

Sadly, this company cares about money first, their product second.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

I agree, but I doubt it will happen. From a business standpoint they are not interested in updating old content. It does not make them money.

Well, maybe if there was a specific housing DLC they might consider it?
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps, but that would also depend on how many people use housing. I don't know how they measure that, I guess they could take date of how many homes a player owns (outside of the free ones) and see how many items are in those homes (to help show them actually decorating).

If the housing player market is smaller (which I think it is), its doubtful they would cater an entire DLC to it, I mean it would be nice if they did, but the fact that housing has received little if not no updates since its launch as far as how its used is kind of telling.

The release new furniture sure, but much if not most of that is made anyway to dress the NPC homes in cities, all we are doing is purchasing already made assets in game. They have also released a descent amount of new homes, but the vast majority of them were crown only, limited time (which pushes their sales). So again, not done for "housing" perse, but done to make money.

If they had shown updates on the decorating/building system. Shown additional features like placing your alts as NPC's, more NPC type interaction in the home etc then I would say there is a good chance we could see a housing DLC, but since we have not see any of that, I doubt it.

I would love to be wrong though.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps, but that would also depend on how many people use housing. I don't know how they measure that, I guess they could take date of how many homes a player owns (outside of the free ones) and see how many items are in those homes (to help show them actually decorating).

If the housing player market is smaller (which I think it is), its doubtful they would cater an entire DLC to it, I mean it would be nice if they did, but the fact that housing has received little if not no updates since its launch as far as how its used is kind of telling.

The release new furniture sure, but much if not most of that is made anyway to dress the NPC homes in cities, all we are doing is purchasing already made assets in game. They have also released a descent amount of new homes, but the vast majority of them were crown only, limited time (which pushes their sales). So again, not done for "housing" perse, but done to make money.

If they had shown updates on the decorating/building system. Shown additional features like placing your alts as NPC's, more NPC type interaction in the home etc then I would say there is a good chance we could see a housing DLC, but since we have not see any of that, I doubt it.

Yeah, I don't know the numbers, so I couldn't really say, either way on that.

I think quite a lot of people use housing a bit - but, obviously, fewer people use it a lot.

Some just depend on guild houses etc. for crafting.

If port to friend/guildmate didn't exist, more would probably use it, but I wouldn't want people forced into housing that way; even if it did mean more houses were made available, as a result.

Also, you've got to consider that more people might get into housing, if there was more to do in and around it and even gold to to be made from doing it.

If, for example, you could set up a house as a business - a tavern and/or an inn, or a school, or a museum, or a shop, or whatever - with staff and NPCs as customers and then do a weekly quest, or quests, to keep the business going (and the gold coming in).

If that kind of thing was part of a housing DLC, as well as all the other good suggestions we see, to make housing seem more alive and interesting (and to give it a point, other than just the artistic side), I can imagine it becoming more popular.

Whereas, if they just leave it as:

"Here's a not very well thought-out, probably rushed-looking, probably copy/paste, probably different on the outside to the inside, probably weirdly/badly laid out, probably dark, maybe crumbling, maybe mould-filled, home, with a too-low furnishing limit for its size and inadequate building items to extend it.

There are no NPCs available, apart from a banker, merchant and fence, to make it feel more alive and no gold can made from bothering to furnish it, but plenty can be lost!

Oh and by the way, that banker, merchant and fence don't have all the functions the regular ones do and if you place them, you will have 3 less slots to use for mounts and pets.

Have fun!"

...of course it will tend to remain a niche pursuit, forever, won't it?
    Edited by Tigerseye on October 7, 2019 3:40AM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I don't know the numbers, so I couldn't really say, either way on that.

I think quite a lot of people use housing a bit - but, obviously, fewer people use it a lot.

Some just depend on guild houses etc. for crafting.

If port to friend/guildmate didn't exist, more would probably use it, but I wouldn't want people forced into housing that way; even if it did mean more houses were made available, as a result.

Also, you've got to consider that more people might get into housing, if there was more to do in and around it and even gold to to be made from doing it.

If, for example, you could set up a house as a business - a tavern and/or an inn, or a school, or a museum, or a shop, or whatever - with staff and NPCs as customers and then do a weekly quest, or quests, to keep the business going (and the gold coming in).

If that kind of thing was part of a housing DLC, as well as all the other good suggestions we see, to make housing seem more alive and interesting (and to give it a point, other than just the artistic side), I can imagine it becoming more popular.

Whereas, if they just leave it as:

"Here's a not very well thought-out, probably rushed-looking, probably copy/paste, probably different on the outside to the inside, probably weirdly/badly laid out, probably dark, maybe crumbling, maybe mould-filled, home, with a too-low furnishing limit for its size and inadequate building items to extend it.

There are no NPCs available, apart from a banker, merchant and fence, to make it feel more alive and no gold can made from bothering to furnish it, but plenty can be lost!

Oh and by the way, that banker, merchant and fence don't have all the functions the regular ones do and if you place them, you will have 3 less slots to use for mounts and pets.

Have fun!"

...of course it will tend to remain a niche pursuit, forever, won't it?

I believe you are right that if they came out with a housing DLC that added a ton of features and made housing truly useful in game (which would only make them more money) then it should be a smart investment of money.

I would love to see it, I just cant say I have much faith in these folks. Not so much the dev team, I think they do what they can with what resources they are given, but ZO$ itself who is interested in the bottom line, only.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But in this case we’re talking about adding something purchaseable to an older zone, not updating graphics in older zones (although of course that would be great too). It seems like it shouldn’t be too much work to copy already created interior spaces and make them available as homes in places like Balmora, for instance, accessed through one of the many currently unused doors. :)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on December 22, 2020 5:50PM
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apologies for the criminally late replies everyone.

2020 for me, like many of you, was well... a doozy to say the least lol..

However I've kept up to date on many developments in the ESO Housing community and there has been some seriously amazing advancements and moments for us both community wise and new features from developers.

I figured I'd return to give this thread a bump with ZOS implementing some great features this year and being open minded as ever! Maybe this will be the year ;)

Edited by Vehlir on December 22, 2020 2:05AM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be AWESOME if the Morrowind event (there is going to be one, right?) brought with it a return of Tel Galen and if there were also additional homes made available in Vvardenfell ! :love:
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree! The Vivec Cantons are such a great style, and we only have a tiny inn room with tiny slot limit!!!

They have: multiple levels, smaller rooms in the sides. Cute little alcoves for shrines or fountains or statues, and what have you. Gorgeous stained-glass-like skylights that cast beautfiul patterns on the floor. That interesting mosaic-like blue mural that goes so well with a Vivec aesthetic and with the Crown Store Vivec pack too!

Just take a walk around the Canton where the inn room opens up, so many unique patterns and shapes!
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be AWESOME if the Morrowind event (there is going to be one, right?) brought with it a return of Tel Galen and if there were also additional homes made available in Vvardenfell ! :love:

One can only hope!

I'm not sure if any of the chapters have had any Housing additions after the fact, but obviously lots of chapter zone themed items have.
    bluebird wrote: »
    Absolutely agree! The Vivec Cantons are such a great style, and we only have a tiny inn room with tiny slot limit!!!

They have: multiple levels, smaller rooms in the sides. Cute little alcoves for shrines or fountains or statues, and what have you. Gorgeous stained-glass-like skylights that cast beautfiul patterns on the floor. That interesting mosaic-like blue mural that goes so well with a Vivec aesthetic and with the Crown Store Vivec pack too!

Just take a walk around the Canton where the inn room opens up, so many unique patterns and shapes!

Yeah Vivec city is just stunning in ESO's interpretation of it. And being such a large vital location both lorewise AND in-game socially as a popular player hub/hangout, it's prime location. Of all the locations I covered in my thread Vivec city hands down is the one I want the most imo.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy enough to have an inn room in Sadrith Mora, but of course I also wouldn't mind something bigger. It's always such a long travel to the slave "guest" market (that's what they call them today, no?)...
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough to have an inn room in Sadrith Mora, but of course I also wouldn't mind something bigger. It's always such a long travel to the slave "guest" market (that's what they call them today, no?)...

Yeah either Inn Rooms or even just small foyer + 1 bedroom homes would be such a welcome addition to Sadrith Mora. The designs are so unique and well done its criminal to just have one option in size.

ESO's selections of Vvardenfell's houses are nice but their weird reluctance to let players live in Vvardenfell's most iconic cities (Minus the tiny room in Vivec City) is truly odd. As the thread pointed out, having that lack of options while also having actual unused buildings just sitting their without a purpose that you could use, makes it even more questionable.

Considering their iconic status to many TES fans, I imagine there would be a huge crowd extremely interested in inhabiting places like Sadrith Mora, Balmora, Vivec City (More then just the room), Suran, Ald'Ruhn etc etc.

For many of us, these beloved cities & towns were some of our first towns we ever experienced in TES' franchise. I'd have to imagine these would be good sellers.
    Edited by Vehlir on January 19, 2021 5:50PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vehlir wrote: »
    ESO's selections of Vvardenfell's houses are nice but their weird reluctance to let players live in Vvardenfell's most iconic cities (Minus the tiny room in Vivec City) is truly odd. As the thread pointed out, having that lack of options while also having actual unused buildings just sitting their without a purpose that you could use, makes it even more questionable.

Considering their iconic status to many TES fans, I imagine there would be a huge crowd extremely interested in inhabiting places like Sadrith Mora, Balmora, Vivec City (More then just the room), Suran, Ald'Ruhn etc etc.

For many of us, these beloved cities & towns were some of our first towns we ever experienced in TES' franchise. I'd have to imagine these would be good sellers.

Ald'ruhn is nothing more than an Ashlander camp currently, so that's a bit difficult - but with Sadrith Mora, Balmora and Vivec (or smaller towns such as Suran or Vos), I totally agree! I really hope they could maybe make something of the currently unused houses someday.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭

Ald'ruhn is nothing more than an Ashlander camp currently, so that's a bit difficult - but with Sadrith Mora, Balmora and Vivec (or smaller towns such as Suran or Vos), I totally agree! I really hope they could maybe make something of the currently unused houses someday.

Yeah just sort of lobbing Ald'ruhn in there as as well as I always loved the idea of an Ashlander Yurt purchasable as a small property similar in size to Inn Rooms! Would be super easy to implement and would be great for Ashlander RPers and RP Guilds. Lore justification outside of Dedicated RPers might be a little tricky however as to why the Vestige could buy one.

Didn't include that in the OP thread as the thread was meant to highlight taking advantage of already placed but unutilized buildings, but I'd love to see little RP friendly places as well. Also a bit of a pipe dream but I'd give an arm and a leg to have your own Quarters INSIDE Ceporah Tower in that super awesome Psijic Style. But I don't wanna get too off topic :D
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah just sort of lobbing Ald'ruhn in there as as well as I always loved the idea of an Ashlander Yurt purchasable as a small property similar in size to Inn Rooms! Would be super easy to implement and would be great for Ashlander RPers and RP Guilds. Lore justification outside of Dedicated RPers might be a little tricky however as to why the Vestige could buy one.

It's not completely accurate, but... you could probably justify it with this achievement:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Clanfriend
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting Update:

They announced a new home coming to Vvardenfell! The Home appears to be Daedric Ruins styled property.

While the incoming house doesn't correlate directly to this post's wishes or suggestions it sets a precedence for ZOS adding NEW homes to Chapter Locations years after release! Something I feared would be the bigger obstacle. Great thing to see! Let's hope this is one of potentially more! :smiley:
    Edited by Vehlir on January 27, 2021 5:15PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it known which ruin they redesigned as a home? Weren't most used for the "stones of cold fire" quest?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it known which ruin they redesigned as a home? Weren't most used for the "stones of cold fire" quest?

Not sure which one to be honest. I wasn't there during the livestream only caught a recap.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure which one to be honest. I wasn't there during the livestream only caught a recap.

According to a datamine video in the main forum, it's called Kushalit. So, something new. I guess it's on a not yet accessible map part then - Sheogorad, that small island in the North, would make sense. I've just wondered if they'll ever make anything of it just a few days ago.

@Syldras | PC | EU
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the OP, we need access to all the houses. It's ridiculous how they try to glorify ESO as an "Elder Scrolls game" and yet over half the houses in the entire game have those stupid chairs barring you access.
    'For love, for friendship and for valour, I stand with the Aldmeri Dominion.'

Zephyrle Starbreeze, Bosmer Nightblade
    Aefion Bloodclaw, Bosmer Sorcerer
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wrong with my assumption; Kushalit is not on an island North of Vvardenfell, but obviously (as I read) somewhere in/on Red Mountain?!

Edit - It's this one: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Assalkushalit
    Edited by Syldras on January 31, 2021 11:20PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just visited the tavern in Sadrith Mora again yesterday evening. So, the lower floor is a typical tap room, but the upper floor literally is just the staircase and 2 closed doors. There's nothing else. I somehow can't imagine they leave it like this forever? Why even create a second level if there's literally nothing to go yet?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the late reply Syldras!

I didn't realize the new home had a name yet but that does make sense given the background of the image they provided. Pretty exciting as a lot of the area that would be eventually be within Ghostgate's enclosure 741+ years from now is largely untouched in ESO!

Can't wait to see how it looks!

As for the Sadrith Mora Tavern, yeah there is so many things like that! Things added but completely unutilized! One can only hope! Hopefully there will be more inbound! I'd love to see as a rule of thumb that each major town in ESO has at least 2 options for homes.
    Edited by Vehlir on February 6, 2021 5:47PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry. I somehow totally missed your reply this time, too (sorry!).
    Pretty exciting as a lot of the area that would be eventually be within Ghostgate's enclosure 741+ years from now is largely untouched in ESO!

I'm really wondering if they'll make more of that region (not housing-wise) some day. Same goes for the region North of Vvardenfell. There are still some patches of land left to explore.
    As for the Sadrith Mora Tavern, yeah there is so many things like that! Things added but completely unutilized!

I'm wondering if some will become houses (or inn rooms) of the upcoming companions. I think they might add some to older regions, too, and you can't just place them somewhere outside on the street (as they for sure will have some option like "go back and wait at home" if you dismiss them - would be unrealistic if they just return to some place in the wilderness then).

I'm quite sure that the yet locked rooms and houses have a purpose for the future. It just makes no sense to place whole houses somewhere but lock them for no reason. If they weren't already placed for some future content, I guess they'd either not exist at all or have some random npcs for thievery in there.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Don't worry. I somehow totally missed your reply this time, too (sorry!).
    Pretty exciting as a lot of the area that would be eventually be within Ghostgate's enclosure 741+ years from now is largely untouched in ESO!

I'm really wondering if they'll make more of that region (not housing-wise) some day. Same goes for the region North of Vvardenfell. There are still some patches of land left to explore.
    As for the Sadrith Mora Tavern, yeah there is so many things like that! Things added but completely unutilized!

I'm wondering if some will become houses (or inn rooms) of the upcoming companions. I think they might add some to older regions, too, and you can't just place them somewhere outside on the street (as they for sure will have some option like "go back and wait at home" if you dismiss them - would be unrealistic if they just return to some place in the wilderness then).

I'm quite sure that the yet locked rooms and houses have a purpose for the future. It just makes no sense to place whole houses somewhere but lock them for no reason. If they weren't already placed for some future content, I guess they'd either not exist at all or have some random npcs for thievery in there.

I hate to rain on your parade, but I don’t think the devs added those chained-up houses with the thought of opening them up many years later. My hope is that they would entertain the option now of opening them up for housing if there is enough interest, if it requires only a small amount of effort on their part (utilizing existing housing floorplans) and it generates income for them (gold or crowns).

I used to wonder why there were houses and buildings you couldn’t go into and then I realized that if they only had houses you could enter, the towns would be even smaller than they already are. Those houses are just facades.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering if some will become houses (or inn rooms) of the upcoming companions..

Ah yeah I could potentially see one or some of them being assigned for this purpose. I know while obviously this entire thread gives it away I'd rather see them become housing candidates, I would 110% be hyped for some native Vvardenfell native Companions as well.

My hope is that they would entertain the option now of opening them up for housing if there is enough interest.

Me too, me too. It's been a couple years now unfortunately but the addition of Kushalit Sanctuary gives me hope that they aren't done quite yet with Vvardenfell. Your mention on their being enough interest always leaves me curious too. I'd kill to be a fly on the wall in some of there meetings. At the end of the day we really don't know what they have thought of my thread (And the boat loads of other people who have also voiced similar desires).

Atm I just sit back and let those guys do their thing and check the Crownstore Showcases and PTS Previews with eager eyes every month. Eventually the day will come!....probably 😅
    Edited by Vehlir on February 24, 2021 2:57AM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm wondering if some will become houses (or inn rooms) of the upcoming companions..

Ah yeah I could potentially see one or some of them being assigned for this purpose. I know while obviously this entire thread gives it away I'd rather see them become housing candidates, I would 110% be hyped for some native Vvardenfell native Companions as well.

My hope is that they would entertain the option now of opening them up for housing if there is enough interest.

Me too, me too. It's been a couple years now unfortunately but the addition of Kushalit Sanctuary gives me hope that they aren't done quite yet with Vvardenfell. Your mention on their being enough interest always leaves me curious too. I'd kill to be a fly on the wall in some of there meetings. At the end of the day we really don't know what they have thought of my thread (And the boat loads of other people who have also voiced similar desires).

Atm I just sit back and let those guys do their thing and check the Crownstore Showcases and PTS Previews with eager eyes every month. Eventually the day will come!....probably 😅

We did get an Ayleid house so I think there is still hope.

If they had announced that and a small Sadrith Mora Telvanni house, I would have been in heaven!
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Neyka
    Neyka
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    They havnt even fixed the skybox in Amaya lake lodge and ald velothi harbor which lack red mountain, but they fixed it right away in the crown store home tel galen. I think they moved on as they have our money

While its a very ancient post but just for the sake of fun I say, they need to look at Blizzard Entertainment and World of Warcraft and how easily people can just drop off your game if you will stop care or they need to recall how they started and again get a sense of reality that people can drop game in a blink of an eye if simple things and some suggestion will not be addressed that players asking - people will leave. World of Warcraft is such an example these days, people so got fed up that nothing they offer ever been implemented that they exodus into Final Fantasy 14. Millions of players just left.

So it is in there own interest if they wish to hold people in this game to address changes people what to see. In other words - Keep people happy and your game will be played. it's rather simple, I wouldn't not recommend for this company to go with attitude Blizzard Entertainment having towards their players and costumers and employees - a very disrespectful attitude that now came back to them with full force.