The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Custom Scaling Settings for Gamepad UI no longer functioning.

• Soundinfinite
    Soundinfinite
    ✭✭✭
    @Soundinfinite

Hey Mate,

Sorry to pester you but what does "Better UI" actually do?
    I am at work and reading the info, but its function isn't clear... does it also disable the normal gamepad UI?

Thanks
    Better UI, is for menus, gear, interactions with trading guilds etc. It replaces the normal Gamepad UI MENU FUNCTIONS with a hybrid of gamepad & non gamepad menus.

As such if you go into your Inventory, the screen opens, where your gear is listed with all pertinent information down the left, but with the icons and size settings of Non-gamepad mode. It also gives you the sub-catagories of gear across the top of the screen, such as gold, equipped, armor pieces, weapons, consumables, etc. So you can scroll across them and see ONLY those items like you can in normal NON_gamepad mode. When you highlight an item, on the right side of the screen a detailed window pops up, such as if its a set it will tell you you the entire 5 traits of the set, how many you have equipped, where you can find the set etc....it also will display Tamriel Trade Center and Master Merchant price listing if you are wanting to sell it as normal UI functions.

So you get all the subcategories, listing information, set information, and functionality of Non-Gamepad UI Menus, BUT it is all navigable with the gamepad. The front left and right triggers move you across the subcategories at the top of the screen. The joysticks move you up and down the menus and specific items, and then of course the normal action buttons equip, destroy, enchant etc items.

This way mouse and keyboard never have to be used, but you aren't missing out on the perks of Non-Gamepad UI Menus.

Sounds interesting... I really love the UI on mouse and keyboard though :neutral:
    Thank you for the information though, I really appreciate it.

Understood, we all like or love what we have become accustomed too. Just like I have grown fond of the Gamepad UI as Ive been using it for 3 years, but scaled to my customization preferences. I am losing that with this Update. However, I do not want to have to deal with a constant keyboard/mouse toggle. If I'm using gamepad, I want to be able to simply, swiftly, and efficiently move through everything I need to do. Sometimes, you only have split seconds to change things if running VET trials, or in PVP before you are placed into combat and can't change, repair, sell, deposit etc anything. Sitting my gamepad down to fumble with a trackpad and keyboard in these situations is something I don't want to have to deal with. Also, I don't want to again be forced to use it when crafting gear or doing writs.

Currently all the add-ons my partner uses I use as well, and have full functionality with them, even though he is mouse and keyboard and I'm gamepad. INcluding Azurah, LUI, Writ Worthy, Lazy Crafters....etc. I can simply do my wirts hitting my square button once per writ and move on. (Merchant and TTC sale prices the only thing I can't get but Better UI fixes this)

If, I'm constantly going back to mouse and keyboard to do everything but combat itself, why not just learn to use mouse and keyboard for combat, unless of course there is a medical issue that prevents it. Mouse and Keyboard has more intuitive UI's easier navigation, and better combat response play, esp in PVP.

But add-ons like Better UI give me those more intuitive UI's and easier navigation, while still allowing me to just simply use my gamepad. Thus I do everything with it once in game.

Just preferences. I'm trying to recreate the environment I've already been playing in, and become accustomed over the last 3 years. Cause ZOS has decided to take that environment away from me.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Soundinfinite

Hey Mate,

Sorry to pester you but what does "Better UI" actually do?
    I am at work and reading the info, but its function isn't clear... does it also disable the normal gamepad UI?

Thanks
    Better UI, is for menus, gear, interactions with trading guilds etc. It replaces the normal Gamepad UI MENU FUNCTIONS with a hybrid of gamepad & non gamepad menus.

As such if you go into your Inventory, the screen opens, where your gear is listed with all pertinent information down the left, but with the icons and size settings of Non-gamepad mode. It also gives you the sub-catagories of gear across the top of the screen, such as gold, equipped, armor pieces, weapons, consumables, etc. So you can scroll across them and see ONLY those items like you can in normal NON_gamepad mode. When you highlight an item, on the right side of the screen a detailed window pops up, such as if its a set it will tell you you the entire 5 traits of the set, how many you have equipped, where you can find the set etc....it also will display Tamriel Trade Center and Master Merchant price listing if you are wanting to sell it as normal UI functions.

So you get all the subcategories, listing information, set information, and functionality of Non-Gamepad UI Menus, BUT it is all navigable with the gamepad. The front left and right triggers move you across the subcategories at the top of the screen. The joysticks move you up and down the menus and specific items, and then of course the normal action buttons equip, destroy, enchant etc items.

This way mouse and keyboard never have to be used, but you aren't missing out on the perks of Non-Gamepad UI Menus.

Sounds interesting... I really love the UI on mouse and keyboard though :neutral:
    Thank you for the information though, I really appreciate it.

Understood, we all like or love what we have become accustomed too. Just like I have grown fond of the Gamepad UI as Ive been using it for 3 years, but scaled to my customization preferences. I am losing that with this Update. However, I do not want to have to deal with a constant keyboard/mouse toggle. If I'm using gamepad, I want to be able to simply, swiftly, and efficiently move through everything I need to do. Sometimes, you only have split seconds to change things if running VET trials, or in PVP before you are placed into combat and can't change, repair, sell, deposit etc anything. Sitting my gamepad down to fumble with a trackpad and keyboard in these situations is something I don't want to have to deal with. Also, I don't want to again be forced to use it when crafting gear or doing writs.

Currently all the add-ons my partner uses I use as well, and have full functionality with them, even though he is mouse and keyboard and I'm gamepad. INcluding Azurah, LUI, Writ Worthy, Lazy Crafters....etc. I can simply do my wirts hitting my square button once per writ and move on. (Merchant and TTC sale prices the only thing I can't get but Better UI fixes this)

If, I'm constantly going back to mouse and keyboard to do everything but combat itself, why not just learn to use mouse and keyboard for combat, unless of course there is a medical issue that prevents it. Mouse and Keyboard has more intuitive UI's easier navigation, and better combat response play, esp in PVP.

But add-ons like Better UI give me those more intuitive UI's and easier navigation, while still allowing me to just simply use my gamepad. Thus I do everything with it once in game.

Just preferences. I'm trying to recreate the environment I've already been playing in, and become accustomed over the last 3 years. Cause ZOS has decided to take that environment away from me.

Totally feel for you there... I use keyboard and mouse whenever i'm in town and play primarily on a laptop, so it doesn't feel awkward to swap between a controller and keyboard/mouse.
    I do all combat on the controller as I just find it too fast to use mouse and keyboard. I mainly PVP so there is that and use addons like Alpha gear to swap gear and skills fast.

Saying it out loud it does seem weird to play like this :lol: I guess it is as you said it is simply what you are accustomed too.
    It looks like "Advanced Disable controller" hasn't been updated since elsweyr... So I will be doing my fair share of adapting :cry:

It seems like pretty basic problems ZOS could overcome. I do appreciate all the work they do and this probably seems pretty small in comparison. Being able to not use the gamepad UI and still use a gamepad should be a basic as is reducing the UI size.

Perhaps "Advanced UI"(different addon) allows you to scale parts of your UI using the Addon menu. This may bypass the changes they have made to the main settings menu...
  • Soundinfinite
    Soundinfinite
    ✭✭✭
    @relentless_turnip

They don't work together. Advanced disable UI overwrites Better UI and forces you to use the default mouse and keyboard menus.

Still can't even get Advanced to work on PTS, but on live I got both up and working. But as I stated above. Its one or the other.

So back to square 1 for me.....
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Soundinfinite sorry to hear that...

Have you tried advanced UI? It is just a UI overhaul add on and I think it allows you to shrink things like youre resource bars. If a smaller UI is what you are after this might work?

Make sure you switch off the other add one before trying.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So this is really hitting live huh... @ZOS_GinaBruno you couldn't be bothered to include it on any week of the PTS notes? Is there a reason this is going live with little to no acknowledgement for the PTS? It feels like ZOS are trying to hide this and I happily await for how you will spin this downgrade in service in a positive light for the final patch notes.

It's great to know that you will disable features when they break, if the demographic for who this will affect is "low" or "niche".

You push people away with decisions like this. Showing zero empathy or concern for fixing an issue you introduced does not make you look great.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on February 17, 2020 9:55AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Styxius
    Styxius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, just wanted to confirm this is not a bug, but something we deliberately changed due to it causing a myriad of other UI-related issues. We apologize for missing the patch note for this change, and will make sure it gets included in the PC launch notes

I would like to see it be able to be scaled again, the UI is so big it makes my monitor look super low resolution despite being a high-resolution screen. Please reconsider finding a better solution wouldn't want to resort to Addons to fix this issue.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an idea. Limited time account transfers so PC people who only want to use a controller can switch to console.
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an idea. Limited time account transfers so PC people who only want to use a controller can switch to console.

i wouldn't switch to console if they paid me. :# i'd rather quit the game than play without addons. which is what i might have to do anyway if they don't fix the *** ui scaling :angry:
    PC EU
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wander why I can't play with controller on PC UI? It is far better than controller UI.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭

BE NICE THEY LET CONSOLE PLAYERS SWITCH AT THE SAME TIME OVER TO PC THAT DONT WANT TO PLAY WITH BLUESCREENS ALL THE TIME 😆 😆 😆
  • Devildog1968_ESO
    Hey all, just wanted to confirm this is not a bug, but something we deliberately changed due to it causing a myriad of other UI-related issues. We apologize for missing the patch note for this change, and will make sure it gets included in the PC launch notes

Hey @ZOS_GinaBruno , Is it possible that you could just come out and tell us that you don't value us as customers? The gamepad UI has been garbage as long as I have been playing it (since your beta BTW). I don't agree with some of the comments online here. I play on a 55" monitor from 12-15' away and the desktop is MUCH to larger (fonts and object) not too BIG in the X&Y rez way. I agreed with one of the comments here. Why couldn't/don't you have FIXED size adjustments? I like to have a lot of info in front of me. And up until this afternoon I was content. NOW? This is crap!!

I can understand your point about a resizable option is too taxing on your end. But why not have say 3 fixed values which allow for us to reduce how big things are and give us more real estate to add data? I guess your beliefs are that gamepad players should play on NexGen consoles? Not on LEGACY PCs? Or maybe it is more the rumor I heard that you folks look at gamepads as "Cheating" b/c we have an unfair advantage over those people who cannot afford a controller! Either way, you are telling us we need to play YOUR way.

I have an annual subscription and I have purchased EVERY expansion but if this is how I will be forced to play, I don't think I will be playing anymore. I, like at least one other commenter below, suffer from a back injury and I cannot twist and play with a mouse and kb. This is why I use the controller and I like it as well.
    Please don't make me find some other gaming company to give my 200-300 dollars a year. Because to be honest, I am getting tired of being pushed around by you and your company!
    Heroes are no braver than anyone else.
    They are just braver for five minutes longer!
    ~Source Unknown
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Hey @ZOS_GinaBruno , Is it possible that you could just come out and tell us that you don't value us as customers? The gamepad UI has been garbage as long as I have been playing it (since your beta BTW). I don't agree with some of the comments online here. I play on a 55" monitor from 12-15' away and the desktop is MUCH to larger (fonts and object) not too BIG in the X&Y rez way. I agreed with one of the comments here. Why couldn't/don't you have FIXED size adjustments? I like to have a lot of info in front of me. And up until this afternoon I was content. NOW? This is crap!!

I can understand your point about a resizable option is too taxing on your end. But why not have say 3 fixed values which allow for us to reduce how big things are and give us more real estate to add data? I guess your beliefs are that gamepad players should play on NexGen consoles? Not on LEGACY PCs? Or maybe it is more the rumor I heard that you folks look at gamepads as "Cheating" b/c we have an unfair advantage over those people who cannot afford a controller! Either way, you are telling us we need to play YOUR way.

I have an annual subscription and I have purchased EVERY expansion but if this is how I will be forced to play, I don't think I will be playing anymore. I, like at least one other commenter below, suffer from a back injury and I cannot twist and play with a mouse and kb. This is why I use the controller and I like it as well.
    Please don't make me find some other gaming company to give my 200-300 dollars a year. Because to be honest, I am getting tired of being pushed around by you and your company!

I managed to shrink a lot of my UI through addons and menus... It's FAR from perfect though...

I used "advanced disable contoller UI" switch everything off so it looks like you are playing key board and mouse.
    Go to "gameplay" menu switch to "automatic" gamepad... move with the keyboard and then move with controller and go back to menu and switch gamepad back to "on".

I have used "advanced aui" to scale my mini map and quest tracker. LUI extended to scale my unit frames. Then I have shrunk the chat text, in "social" menu. Once you have done this you can adjust everything in your UI to your preference.

As I said it is pretty far from perfect, but it made combat at least pretty playable.

I hope it helps!
  • HerbalMentalist
    All I want is to be able to use a controller (which is often not a matter of choice for me) with the regular keyboard and mouse ui.
    Being forced to use the, now frankly ridiculous, controller ui almost feels like we're being punished for having to use a controller lol

I just hope the addons that allowed this which were broken by the new update can be fixed by their authors.
    Or zos could, ooh I dunno , just let the USER choose which USER interface they want to use regardless of their method of control.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All I want is to be able to use a controller (which is often not a matter of choice for me) with the regular keyboard and mouse ui.
    Being forced to use the, now frankly ridiculous, controller ui almost feels like we're being punished for having to use a controller lol

I just hope the addons that allowed this which were broken by the new update can be fixed by their authors.
    Or zos could, ooh I dunno , just let the USER choose which USER interface they want to use regardless of their method of control.

The "Advanced Disable Controller UI" addon hasn't been updated since 08/07/2019... meaning the author probably doesn't play the game anymore...

It would be nice if ZOS could just give us an option to switch of gamepad ui... I only use keyboard and mouse when crafting,trading, talking, inventory etc...
    I use the controller for movement and combat, I don't want or need the controller ui...

Obviously that isn't solution for evryone though...
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/513827/controller-gamepad-mode-scaling-fix#latest

Someone posted this in general, I think this will help a lot of you.
  • Dreamerx213
    I feel like another poster put it that this fix was related to the crown store UI, and that is just wrong.
    They removed a feature from the game to better sell you things from the crown store.
  • Wesleypipes77
    Wesleypipes77
    Soul Shriven
    I know I'm late to the party here but thought I'd jump in and voice my displeasure with this as well. I hadn't played ESO for awhile and just purchased Greymoor and decided to jump back in mainly because I felt like playing an MMO that I could kick back and use a gamepad with for awhile only to find this UI travesty going on. Well this is a deal breaker for me, I won't be bothering with this game until it's fixed.