The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Update Alkosh, an outdated and under-tweaked set

• paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and in case ZoS reads this, this guy never tested if crit even worked on damage shields^

Anyways, my point is that I think the spell crit would be really interesting mathematically in tandem with the weapon crit as a 2 piece bonus on Alkosh. Not only is it thematic to what Alkosh is as a set that benefits tanks, healers, magicka dps, stamina dps, and hybrids alike, but it also creates an interesting resource to use creatively.
    Spell critical isn't useless on a tank unless you build for it to be, and even then, buffs could still make your spell critical highest.

You mean a Medium Armor set that Tanks just happen to take advantage of? Not a Hybrid or Tank set in anyway, if anything their last change to Alkosh could be seen as a poor attempt to move it away from tanks, like they did with Engulfing Flames.

And again, what kind of build are you making where while also wearing Alkosh you have more Spell Crit by that much that it matters? Class wise only one that could make a difference is Sorcs that have Minor Prophecy, the 3 Classes that have access to Major Prophecy also have access to Major Savagery.

Set vise the only Heavy Armor Sets I could find that had spell Critical were: Galerion's Revenge, Ice Furnace, Medusa, Shalk Exoskeleton and Soulshine. Only Monster set that adds specifically Spell Critical is: Iceheart and Zaan. Which of these sets do you intend to wear with Alkosh? Or are you running light or medium armor for your tanks?

[snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on November 28, 2020 2:37PM
  • jesse318sub17_ESO
    jesse318sub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and in case ZoS reads this, this guy didn't tested if crit even worked on damage shields^
    Oh and in case ZoS reads this, this guy never tested if crit even worked on damage shields^

Anyways, my point is that I think the spell crit would be really interesting mathematically in tandem with the weapon crit as a 2 piece bonus on Alkosh. Not only is it thematic to what Alkosh is as a set that benefits tanks, healers, magicka dps, stamina dps, and hybrids alike, but it also creates an interesting resource to use creatively.
    Spell critical isn't useless on a tank unless you build for it to be, and even then, buffs could still make your spell critical highest.

You mean a Medium Armor set that Tanks just happen to take advantage of? Not a Hybrid or Tank set in anyway, if anything their last change to Alkosh could be seen as a poor attempt to move it away from tanks, like they did with Engulfing Flames.

And again, what kind of build are you making where while also wearing Alkosh you have more Spell Crit by that much that it matters? Class wise only one that could make a difference is Sorcs that have Minor Prophecy, the 3 Classes that have access to Major Prophecy also have access to Major Savagery.

Set vise the only Heavy Armor Sets I could find that had spell Critical were: Galerion's Revenge, Ice Furnace, Medusa, Shalk Exoskeleton and Soulshine. Only Monster set that adds specifically Spell Critical is: Iceheart and Zaan. Which of these sets do you intend to wear with Alkosh? Or are you running light or medium armor for your tanks?

[snip]

I don't have a piece of medium armor on my tank man, if you're worried about me taking advantage of that. Powerful assault is plenty good enough to make medium armor tanking worthwhile, however
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and in case ZoS reads this, this guy didn't tested if crit even worked on damage shields^

[snip]

I don't have a piece of medium armor on my tank man, if you're worried about me taking advantage of that. Powerful assault is plenty good enough to make medium armor tanking worthwhile, however

So you light armor tank then? Cause if you are using Heavy armor then I still fail to see how that extra spell crit is gonna help you. And yes Powerful assault is a good set for 4 man content and can even be worn on your body, but that would just gain you even more weapon crit making the suggested spell crit change to Alkosh unnecessary again.

And why ask specifically only for Alkosh? Especially if the idea if to improve things for Hybrids? Why not have all crit be one and the same? Why specifically alkosh?
  • jesse318sub17_ESO
    jesse318sub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

So you light armor tank then? Cause if you are using Heavy armor then I still fail to see how that extra spell crit is gonna help you. And yes Powerful assault is a good set for 4 man content and can even be worn on your body, but that would just gain you even more weapon crit making the suggested spell crit change to Alkosh unnecessary again.

And why ask specifically only for Alkosh? Especially if the idea if to improve things for Hybrids? Why not have all crit be one and the same? Why specifically alkosh?

My weapon and spell crit are almost even with Alkosh on, less than 1 point of difference. I'm wearing neither light nor medium armor. How wouldn't extra spell critical benefit me as a tank?
    Alkosh is a set that creates utility for support and hybrids by providing the most powerful armor debuff in the game single target or AoE for all builds, and the stats should recognize that.

Edited by jesse318sub17_ESO on November 28, 2020 3:38PM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While we're at it can we take a look at Moondancer also?
    Would be nice if it was a worthwhile mag DD set again.
    Kinda tired of running the same zouple of sets on every mag.
    Miss the days of rocking MD on my magplar.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

My weapon and spell crit are almost even with Alkosh on, less than 1 point of difference. I'm wearing neither light nor medium armor. How wouldn't extra spell critical benefit me as a tank?

Then what are your other sources of Spell Critical? You got 10% base crit. Are you a sorc? Got Minor Prophecy? Even with Spell Precision from CP you should still also have Perfect Strike cause you would put points into those blue slots to buff alkosh. So 3% from both. Alkosh gives 3.8% And you are not wearing 5-1-1 so nothing from there. Where is the spell crit from?
  • jesse318sub17_ESO
    jesse318sub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

Then what are your other sources of Spell Critical? You got 10% base crit. Are you a sorc? Got Minor Prophecy? Even with Spell Precision from CP you should still also have Perfect Strike cause you would put points into those blue slots to buff alkosh. So 3% from both. Alkosh gives 3.8% And you are not wearing 5-1-1 so nothing from there. Where is the spell crit from?

I have exactly one point in physical penetration.

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    21 Physical Weapon Expert
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing
    Edited by jesse318sub17_ESO on November 28, 2020 4:42PM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

Ah well there is your problem right there.
  • jesse318sub17_ESO
    jesse318sub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

What is your cp? I have plenty of healing and the off-balance debuff with my CP, and 1 point is allocated to damage so it isn't wasted. The rest is contributed solely to a debuff and healing. Waste not your CP since damage CP is never wasted CP, if the other option was wasted points and not healing/debuffs.

The spell critical from Alkosh would give me more healing. What's not to want? Even penetration, and damage on my sword and shield bar is accounted for with CP that could be wasted, since I am safest on my sword and shield bar. It is good CP for a tank that is doing their job.
    Edited by jesse318sub17_ESO on November 28, 2020 7:15PM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

What is your cp? I have plenty of healing and the off-balance debuff with my CP, and 1 point is allocated to damage so it isn't wasted. The rest is contributed solely to a debuff and healing. Waste not your CP since damage CP is never wasted CP, if the other option was wasted points and not healing/debuffs.

The spell critical from Alkosh would give me more healing. What's not to want? Even penetration, and damage on my sword and shield bar is accounted for with CP that could be wasted, since I am safest on my sword and shield bar. It is good CP for a tank that is doing their job.

So you got 121 points into the atronarch tree, the only things that is of even moderate use is Riposte at 30p. Really most of that tree is damage oriented and would not give a tank much. In the Ritual however you get a few things that are of use. Obviously the Perfect Strike at 30p will give you 3% weapon crit, which can help you crit heal like we have talked about. Then you got Last Stand at 120p. Which gives a nice Ultimate gain when you are in a pinch, or if you can, purposefully proc it by going low and then back up. And both Mighty and piercing will help you increase the effects of Alkosh for further DPS gain from your Allies.

I mean the increased chance for a tank that does not spec for it in terms of critical heal chance is still low. With 5-1-1, Alkosh and Perfect Strike you will still only be sitting at 18.3%. If you run 7 heavy and Alkosh with Perfect you will get 16.8% So even if you did get the change implemented to make Alkosh do Spell Critical as well, that is all you would get. 16.8% Cause even if you went 5-1-1, your Weapon Crit would then be higher cause Light Armors Spell Crit passive requires 5 pieces while Mediums scale up from even just a single piece. So regardless. Your set up would get stronger healing from a 5-1-1 Alkosh set up with perfect strike CP enabled. So even for your own build it would seem, this change would be useless.
  • jesse318sub17_ESO
    jesse318sub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

So you got 121 points into the atronarch tree, the only things that is of even moderate use is Riposte at 30p. Really most of that tree is damage oriented and would not give a tank much. In the Ritual however you get a few things that are of use. Obviously the Perfect Strike at 30p will give you 3% weapon crit, which can help you crit heal like we have talked about. Then you got Last Stand at 120p. Which gives a nice Ultimate gain when you are in a pinch, or if you can, purposefully proc it by going low and then back up. And both Mighty and piercing will help you increase the effects of Alkosh for further DPS gain from your Allies.

I mean the increased chance for a tank that does not spec for it in terms of critical heal chance is still low. With 5-1-1, Alkosh and Perfect Strike you will still only be sitting at 18.3%. If you run 7 heavy and Alkosh with Perfect you will get 16.8% So even if you did get the change implemented to make Alkosh do Spell Critical as well, that is all you would get. 16.8% Cause even if you went 5-1-1, your Weapon Crit would then be higher cause Light Armors Spell Crit passive requires 5 pieces while Mediums scale up from even just a single piece. So regardless. Your set up would get stronger healing from a 5-1-1 Alkosh set up with perfect strike CP enabled. So even for your own build it would seem, this change would be useless.

So the very first sentence you said: "So you got 121 points into the atronarch tree, the only things that is of even moderate use is Riposte at 30p." You based your entire argument on this first sentence. And it was wrong.

I have my 121 points in the Atronach tree for Tactition at 120 points, which enables your control of the off balance debuff. Off balance increases the sustain of your allies, your own sustain, and the damage enemies take. My CP is justified.
    Edited by jesse318sub17_ESO on November 29, 2020 12:55PM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

So the very first sentence you said: "So you got 121 points into the atronarch tree, the only things that is of even moderate use is Riposte at 30p." You based your entire argument on this first sentence. And it was wrong.

I have my 121 points in the Atronach tree for Tactition at 120 points, which enables your control of the off balance debuff, which increases the sustain of your allies and the damage enemies take. My CP is justified.

I mean, the off balance(and Concussion) is kinda why Tanks and Healers run Lightning Elemental Blockade.... but ok... sure.... Very justified indeed... I'm out.
  • jesse318sub17_ESO
    jesse318sub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

[snip]

My blue CP is:
    100 Blessed
    48 Elfborn
    100 Master-at-Arms
    1 Piercing

I have my 121 points in the Atronach tree for Tactician at 120 points, which enables your control of the off balance debuff, which increases the sustain of your allies and the damage enemies take. My CP is justified.

I mean, the off balance(and Concussion) is kinda why Tanks and Healers run Lightning Elemental Blockade.... but ok... sure.... Very justified indeed... I'm out.

I usually like an Ice Staff on my tank. But even with a lightning staff, you could still use Tactician.
    Lightning staves only apply off balance when an enemy has minor vulnerability and is affected by a specific skill from the weapon skill line.
    Tactician only requires you to dodge roll an attack. Tactician works on more enemies at a time and can be more instantaneous than using lightning staves for off balance.
    Edited by jesse318sub17_ESO on November 29, 2020 1:02PM
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    u still have 2 healers which have in any case a lighting wand
    thats enought for this debuff

and btw why should one of the strongest tank sets be more buffed
    nearly every tank has/uses it so there is no need for a buff
  • jesse318sub17_ESO
    jesse318sub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    u still have 2 healers which have in any case a lighting wand
    thats enought for this debuff

and btw why should one of the strongest tank sets be more buffed
    nearly every tank has/uses it so there is no need for a buff

Well, the thing that makes the set so strong is a debuff that doesn't actually help a support (healer, tank) at all except in helping the group meet armor penetration maximums, but you only need so much armor penetration to do that.
    Spell crit, on the other hand, would help them slightly.
    Edited by jesse318sub17_ESO on November 29, 2020 1:30PM