The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Allow out of date addons does not work as it should

• Technica
    Technica
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem today and came here for a solution

I ran the launcher as admin and it's working like that
    You will know me by my eye. | Adventuring since beta | PC EU | ESO+ | I recommend this reshade (Example Screenshots)
  • Jaensn
    Jaensn
    ✭✭✭
    Some people of my guild have the same problem. Some charakters accept the checkbox for outdated add-ons - but some don't.
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that fixes it for me is to set the addons immediately prior to logging on with a toon. This has to be done every time, for every toon.

I made an exception for eso.64 with my antivirus and set permissions in windows as outlined by other helpful posters in this thread. But nothing makes the fix hold past logging out.

I'm seeing tons of people saying they having this issue with todays dlc.

UPDATE:
    Adding the exception to my antivirus worked to fix this issue after all. But I had a small issue with merely typing in the file I wanted to add the exception for not working. I had to browse to the file I wanted to add the exception for, click on it, and select apply. Then my a/v program added the exception to the file successfully.
    Edited by TineaCruris on November 2, 2020 8:53PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had this problem an hour ago. Setting it at the character select screen worked, but any "reloadui" during gameplay would reset the option and you would need to go to the character select screen to toggle it on again.

I no longer have the problem after adding eso64 to Avasts exception list, which is odd seeing as how the entire Elder Scrolls Online folder was excepted before.

Good luck.

(oh btw, I did not have this issue back in August, when the thread was created.)
  • Technica
    Technica
    ✭✭✭
    I tried the set to allow before selecting a char, but when I loaded in the game reloaded the UI without my saying so and disabled everything again. So that one didn't work for me, but the run as admin did work
    You will know me by my eye. | Adventuring since beta | PC EU | ESO+ | I recommend this reshade (Example Screenshots)
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technica wrote: »
    I tried the set to allow before selecting a char, but when I loaded in the game reloaded the UI without my saying so and disabled everything again. So that one didn't work for me, but the run as admin did work

That also happened to me the first time on one of my characters. Everything looked good for about 3 seconds, then the game did a relodui all on its own and messed it up again.
  • Sorries
    Sorries
    ✭✭✭
    For me it was fixed, AddOnSettings was set as read only.
    GM Tamriel Homes - PC EU
  • Sorries
    Sorries
    ✭✭✭
    now it is broken again...
    GM Tamriel Homes - PC EU
  • Sorries
    Sorries
    ✭✭✭
    It only works when I turn allow out of date addons on in the character screen every time I relog...
    GM Tamriel Homes - PC EU
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Works fine for me.... Not sure why, reading the posts - but I have literally no issues with this at this point.
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same. Each time you change a character or log back in you must manually tick the box for out of date addons.
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama free social group enjoying PVE questing, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • Rainchii
    Rainchii
    ✭✭
    I had this issue as well. I found by putting all my Elder Scroll game folders into the exception list of my antivirus software seemed to fix the issue. This includes the folder holding the AddOnSettings file separately just in case.
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rainchii wrote: »
    I had this issue as well. I found by putting all my Elder Scroll game folders into the exception list of my antivirus software seemed to fix the issue. This includes the folder holding the AddOnSettings file separately just in case.

I can confirm that this worked for me too. I then re-activated the outdated addons and haven't had an issue since.

Edit: I removed the exceptions and re-added then to the AV-client, just to be clear.
    Edited by pleximus on November 3, 2020 11:17AM
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added ESO folders to my AVG exceptions. Logged into the game and all addons were enabled. Entered the game, then logged out. Now all out of date addons are off again, I have to manually select the checkbox again, so this hasn't worked for me.
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama free social group enjoying PVE questing, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issue. The game won't remember that I allowed the outdated addons.

Additionnally, every time I log back in, I have to readjust the in-game audio volume, because the game won't remember that I changed it back to 100.
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    Tried everything, nowt worked until I uninstalled AVG
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, still happening. The only thing that fixes it for me is to set the addons immediately prior to logging on with a toon. This has to be done every time, for every toon.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those still having issues, you could try to change the variable in the addon settings.txt file, save it, then set the file to read only.

Make sure it's not read only already or you won't be able to save the change initially. And don't have the game running either.

Doing this should make the change impossible to change back, but you won't be able to enable or disable, or change any other addon settings until you undo it.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just set "Allow outdated" at the char selection screen > I choose the option that allows this to be applied to all account's chars.
    So, everything is "working" for now but some addons still need to to be updated to work properly.
    We will have more updates in the next days, as it always happens when a new patch goes live.

Regarding other issues reported here, I might not have then because:
    a) My pc account it always has been set as an admin account.
    b) I don't recall if I ever added ESO and its addons to the antivirus's exceptions list, but I probably did.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • kinguardian
    kinguardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything worked for me but in the add-ons I had to select that it was account wide and I had to select all the settings how I like it in every add-on.

The only one now not working is harvest map. It gives a fault message as soon I log in a character. All the add-ons to make harvest map work are downloaded.
    Anyone else has this problem? And is this related to ZoS or the add-on creator?
  • perdita
    perdita
    ✭✭
    Had the exact same problem...

I uninstalled Harven's thieves troves and put in exceptions for Zenimax folders in my antivirus program - suddenly "allow out of date addons" sticks. Nothing else helped!

Maybe this can help someone :)
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno -- Here's an observation I had about something that changed with addon API version checking this patch.

I don't know if this is related, but it could be something to do with how the game checks the API version of mods.

As a rule, I never click "allow out of date addons". Instead, I test my outdated addons one-by-one by updating the API Version line in their text file. (So, for instance, changing "## APIVersion: 100032" to "## APIVersion: 100033".)

For some reason, when I updated the API Version for LibAddonMenu-2.0, ESO wouldn't recognize the addon as being updated. After many, many attempts to get it to work, I noticed that the API Version line was at the very top of LibAddonMenu-2.0.txt, while it was much lower in the file on all of the addons that I had successfully updated. Moving the line lower in the file caused LibAddonMenu-2.0 to work, as well.

So clearly something changed with how ESO checks the API version. Again, no idea if this is connected to the issue these users are reporting or not.
  • ElfFromSpace
    ElfFromSpace
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having the same issue. Last night another person in my trial group was also experiencing it.
    With some testing this is what I have found:
    1. Clicking "Allow Out Of Date Addons" and then refreshing was not working on any character. No matter how many times O tried it, no matter if I unchecked every single add on I continued to have them turned off.
    2. Chosing Allow...Adding from character select screen did work. This allowed me to get them to load, but sometimes they would randomly stop again after a while, especially if I reloaded.
    3. I found an outdated lib library based in a reply in another thread. Uninstaller and deleting it *mostly* helped. On one computer the issue went away. On my other the issue seemed to persist. The library was linked to advanced inventory filters.
    Former GM Elder Scrolls Exchange
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to happen every update but then they fix. Except still happening. getting old now....
  • sashabeear1000
    Every time I try to load the outdated addons, it doesn't take. I tried it before I loaded the character and the character loaded up and I saw the addons for briefly 5 seconds before the game went to a loading screen and took them away again. My addon file is not read only and I haven't changed anything having to do with that file or folder it's in.
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have the same problem. Also, my custom colors seem to get reset everytime on one of my new characters everytime.
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno -- Here's an observation I had about something that changed with addon API version checking this patch.

I don't know if this is related, but it could be something to do with how the game checks the API version of mods.

As a rule, I never click "allow out of date addons". Instead, I test my outdated addons one-by-one by updating the API Version line in their text file. (So, for instance, changing "## APIVersion: 100032" to "## APIVersion: 100033".)

For some reason, when I updated the API Version for LibAddonMenu-2.0, ESO wouldn't recognize the addon as being updated. After many, many attempts to get it to work, I noticed that the API Version line was at the very top of LibAddonMenu-2.0.txt, while it was much lower in the file on all of the addons that I had successfully updated. Moving the line lower in the file caused LibAddonMenu-2.0 to work, as well.

So clearly something changed with how ESO checks the API version. Again, no idea if this is connected to the issue these users are reporting or not.

This is the lone "out of date" for me as well - and moving the API line didn't fix that for me.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    might want to check your addons periodically

sometimes when they udpate the addons, they add more Lib file requirements

:#
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    might want to check your addons periodically

sometimes when they udpate the addons, they add more Lib file requirements

:#

I check 3 or 4 times a day.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been playing around with adding things to av exceptions. After much clicking through the ESO files the one that seems to have made a differrence is adding the addonsettings file to exceptions. That turned out to be in a separate folder under "my documents" rather than in the ESo folder. Which was buried like 4 layers deep in another slightly of odd part of the drive. I think it's fixed tho.