The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What is up with the banner flicker on the forums?!?!

• Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They could just remove the shrinking animation of the top banner and this would 100% go away for everyone.

:/
    love is love
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had this for awhile and assumed it was at my end. Also page scrolls down slowly while typing in this box...
  • Rolandaxx
    Rolandaxx
    ✭✭✭
    Still happening, still very annoying!
  • Rehdaun
    Rehdaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any word on when this will be fixed? It's annoying and makes me nauseous.

[Edit to remove bashing and conspiracy theories]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on October 31, 2020 8:32PM
  • Nirntrotter
    Nirntrotter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happening to me as well. Brave on Windows, zooming to 110% fixed it.
    Grand Warlord Arodel, Gryphon Heart
    <Serenity>
    AD MagDK, *2014, PC-EU | 49k+ achievement points
  • aurelial
    aurelial
    Like the multiple other issues you guys are 'aware of' do you have any plans to fix this?
  • Nephthys
    Nephthys
    ✭✭✭
    For goodness sake please fix it. It has gone on for far too long and there is now excuse for what should be a quick fix. I really feel sorry for people inclined to epileptic fits.
    Dunmer magicka Necromancer DPS/Healer
  • Tanis-Stormbinder
    Tanis-Stormbinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG please fix this! it's so annoying
  • Nirntrotter
    Nirntrotter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to happen on my laptop but not on my desktop. Probably a screen size issue?
    Grand Warlord Arodel, Gryphon Heart
    <Serenity>
    AD MagDK, *2014, PC-EU | 49k+ achievement points
  • yurimodin
    yurimodin
    ✭✭✭
    win10 Firefox....it stopped at 90% but now I cant read it 🤣
  • Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    Please zos fix this damn bug.
  • Irfind
    Irfind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have that problem since today too with the opera browser (desktop) :s
    PC EU no CP PVP
    EP Irfind - Stam NB Dunmer
    EP Iswind - Mag Warden Dunmer
    EP Ko'runa Silberklaue - Mag Temp Khajiit
    EP Eldrid Hagal - Mag DK Dunmer
    EP Feyne R'is - Stam Sorc Dunmer ...with Bow
    EP Wynn Loraethaine - Mag NB Dunmer
    AD Runare Loraethaine - Stam Sorc Altmer
    AD Skadi Hagal - Stam DK Khajiit
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is insane. Whenever I post something it is complete guess as to where my cursor is interacting with on the screen. No other game forum I visit is this messed up for this long.

Is the studio temporarily out of operation or something. Did people just quit and have not been replaced?
    Edited by Red_Feather on November 3, 2020 2:32AM
  • DigitalHype
    DigitalHype
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this has something to do with the website banner code incorrectly determining the ui scale (dpi) when you have a multimonitor setup and mixed ui scaling.

It seems to be getting worse, too. Cursor position is wrong if you use the mouse-wheel to scroll up/down the thread. You have to use your arrow keys to temporarily correct the cursor position. When you use the arrow keys it forces the pop-up top banner to show and restores the correct position. But if you scroll the mouse wheel again, it will break.

There is a bunch of slow javascript happening wiht the banners and weird interactions with the cookielaw garbage that seems to be complicating this.
  • MirandaSharp
    MirandaSharp
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hamboot wrote: »

It's probably not their bug... They're using some framework that needs updating and they can't do anything about it until the open source community updates the framework.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably not their bug... They're using some framework that needs updating and they can't do anything about it until the open source community updates the framework.

Exactly. This forum uses Vanilla Forums as backend. Probably Vanilla pushed an update that caused this with certain browsers. It doesn't affect me (using Pale Moon, a fork of Firefox), but when I checked it with Edge it was pretty awful!
  • Rehdaun
    Rehdaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh :(

Still flickering. Still nauseating. Broken game. Broken forums. Not much more to say.
    Edited by Rehdaun on November 18, 2020 3:11PM
  • omegatay_ESO
    omegatay_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZoS I am not trying to bash, or talk bad about anyone. But.. Why does it take you guys so long to fix stuff?
  • DigitalHype
    DigitalHype
    ✭✭✭✭

If its open source, they can do something about it. Pretty sure ZoS has one or two developers around that could contribute a patch. At least identify which part of the code is causing the issue and develop a workaround. Even if it requires some feature loss.

I think they are mostly ignoring the issue because the CM things the workaround of adjusting the browser zoom allevieated it. But that doesn't work for me with 4k rez at 150% UI scaling. I have to either reduce zoom below where text is readable or increase it beyond a sane value, and its only temporary.
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forum does not flicker for me, but today its nearly impossible to read the latest news post, at least with the firefox browser it flickers more the more I scroll down and images are just grey, and when I stop scrolling the whole article is getting invisible and I just see the background. Happens on the german news section as well as the english news section.
    PC/EU
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The flicker is still happening for me in Chrome, but not in Firefox. The most annoying part is that it makes the page scroll slowly down so all the text is constantly moving and very hard to read.
    The forum does not flicker for me, but today its nearly impossible to read the latest news post, at least with the firefox browser it flickers more the more I scroll down and images are just grey, and when I stop scrolling the whole article is getting invisible and I just see the background. Happens on the german news section as well as the english news section.

I noticed that too. It's sometimes fine with shorter articles but anything longer than about 1 screen is likely to disappear or get weird problems.

Oddly that occurs in Firefox but not in Chrome (the opposite of the forum problem), but then I get the problem that I can't disable the snow effect in the background in Chrome and I find the constant movement very distracting.

I'm not sure if it's dyslexia related or not but any movement on the page draws my eye and makes it hard to focus on what I'm reading. I have a plugin on Firefox that allows me to disable all animations on a web page (very useful for forums where people put stupid flickering gifs in their signature) but Chrome doesn't have anything like that.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • cosmodna
    cosmodna
    Soul Shriven
    Zooming to %125 in Chrome seems to have fixed it for me, but it's kind of lame that we have to stumble upon solutions to something that's been happening for two months at least.
  • Nephthys
    Nephthys
    ✭✭✭
    It is beyond belief that this has not been fixed. For goodness sake if they can't simply undo the mess they made of a simple web page, what hope for the game?
    Dunmer magicka Necromancer DPS/Healer
  • DigitalHype
    DigitalHype
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nephthys wrote: »
    It is beyond belief that this has not been fixed. For goodness sake if they can't simply undo the mess they made of a simple web page, what hope for the game?

Agreed. I think it's highly unlikely this has even made on the radar of anyone that could possibly fix it. Just another issue that isn't being taken seriously.
  • DigitalHype
    DigitalHype
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just upgraded to Firefox 83.0 (64-bit) and the problem has been resolved for me.
  • Higuchi
    Higuchi
    ✭✭
    Having the same issue (Win10 PC, Brave Browser). Irritating and Annoying as it could possibly be!
    Changing zoom to 80% or 125 % fixes it. BUT that's not the point. it is NOT supposed to be there in the first place! Dear Developers, Please, do us all a favor, fix this flickering banner first thing in the morning, at least, any of 2020 mornings ^_^
    Edited by Higuchi on November 22, 2020 7:45AM
    NA Server 📚 MacOS 🐾
    Naofumí The Arcanist / Goellean (gameID: @Alien.101)
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    omg.. I thought I was crazy or this was something to with new components I added to my computer recently.

Going to 100% zoom instead of 90% fixed it for me.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on November 22, 2020 10:01AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get any flickering, but the top auto-drop down bar (Categories, Dev Tracker etc) seems to have a mind of its own and sometimes appears, sometimes doesn't. I'm using Chrome on two desktops and an android phone. The mobile version of the forums doesn't have the top bar anyway which is a nuisance as it leads those who only access the forum that way to complain about lack of communication from ZOS when the real problem is that they can't follow the Dev Tracker.
  • crypticwelder
    crypticwelder
    Soul Shriven
    It seems to be fixed....for me anyway,that was annoying.