Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is up with the banner flicker on the forums?!?!

• Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »
    Oddly it's only at 125% zoom I get the flicker. It also slowly scrolls the text upwards by itself.
    Edit: I'm glad I don't have epilepsy. D=

That is odd, 100% for me causes the flicker. 125 makes it go away...Go figure. Also my slow scrolls the text down, not up. LOL
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It flickers on all of the zooms they suggested. I clicked on the banner itself (not the links on it) and it stops, until you scroll down.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's intuitive and i've seen this practice in other places too. You scroll down and the banner hides so you can see more of the page, you scroll up and the banner is showing again. You can also click the ribbon to make the tabs to appear.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • jm42
    jm42
    ✭✭✭✭
    So this problem is so serious that they can not fix it for a week already?
    Edited by jm42 on October 15, 2020 8:07AM
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jm42 wrote: »
    So this problem is so serious that they can not fix it for a week already?

what to fix if it's not a problem. If people don't like this "feature" they might add a "pin" icon, at most.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this is extremely frustrating and makes viewing or contributing to the forums very difficult.

If this is being experienced by multiple people there must be something wrong...

Hopefully Zos will fix this asap.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem here, running W10/Edge.

However, the previous poster who suggested changing the page size from 125 was correct, at least for me. Changing the page size (in the settings for Edge - click on the 3 dots at the top right to change the size) to 150 or 120 stopped the banner from doing this.

However, I'm 73 and my eyes are used to seeing the larger page size (125 for me), and I'm not changing it.

I right-clicked on the banner, and got a variety of sub-menus with all types of interesting stuff popping up, but couldn't find a solution there (besides, I'm hesitant to screw with HTML settings, and other such things), so I'll join the crowd and wait for a fix.

• DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's weird is the inconsistency. When I view the forum at 100% in Chrome on my Windows 10 personal laptop, it's fine.

But when I sneak a peek at 100% in Chrome on my Windows 10 work laptop, I get the flashing/slow scrolling banner of doom. I don't suspect there's anything on my work laptop that's trying to force me not to use my 15-minute break to browse the forums, as the site's worked normally before on it in the past. LOL Reducing the view to about 80-85% fixed it (it still did it at 90%).
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Runaerian
    Runaerian
    ✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    it's intuitive and i've seen this practice in other places too. You scroll down and the banner hides so you can see more of the page, you scroll up and the banner is showing again. You can also click the ribbon to make the tabs to appear.

You're clearly not understanding the issue people are having. What you're describing is how the site has ALWAYS been and we're all very familiar with the banner hiding. The issue here is that the banner is CONSTANTLY flickering while the page slowly scrolls up on its own. It's extremely annoying and makes the site unusable.

It's the same for me. Flickers at 125% (which is my preferred zoom setting) but is fine at 150%. I don't get what the issue is. The coding for these elements is relatively simple. It's not game code. It's a web page. For something like this to suddenly be broken for this long makes no sense.

It may be that something in the Chromium architecture has changed and ZOS have not yet updated their own coding because people seem to have the issue on Chrome and Edge but not on other browsers.
    Edited by Runaerian on October 15, 2020 1:49PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runaerian wrote: »

You're clearly not understanding the issue people are having. What you're describing is how the site has ALWAYS been and we're all very familiar with the banner hiding. The issue here is that the banner is CONSTANTLY flickering while the page slowly scrolls up on its own. It's extremely annoying and makes the site unusable.

It's the same for me. Flickers at 125% (which is my preferred zoom setting) but is fine at 150%. I don't get what the issue is. The coding for these elements is relatively simple. It's not game code. It's a web page. For something like this to suddenly be broken for this long makes no sense.

It may be that something in the Chromium architecture has changed and ZOS have not yet updated their own coding because people seem to have the issue on Chrome and Edge but not on other browsers.

I don't particularly like the intended function where the banner pops in and out as you scroll either, because I find it distracting when I'm trying to look at topics. (I find any unnecessary motion in web browsers annoying, it makes it harder to focus on what I'm trying to read.)

But yeah, that's entirely different to the annoying flickering that's been happening recently with some browsers. That's certainly not intended, it's changing too fast to be able to see clearly and for some reason also causes the page to slowly scroll upwards, which is difficult to stop and makes reading or typing harder.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runaerian wrote: »

always has been? a few months back the banner didn't have this auto-hide thing, it only occurred recently for me.
    And i don't have any "flickering", for me it works the way i've described. My browser (chrome) doesn't slowly scroll up by itself, and i have no problem at any zoom level.
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey all, just confirming we're looking into this. As others have mentioned, if you are zoomed in or out try setting it to 100% and seeing if that resolves the issue.

Fix coming soon I hope?
    K1zhbbm.gif
    NZdcvxI.png
    vs
    https://youtu.be/2LdmYwGWlyQ
    love is love
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I'm getting this on both Chrome and Edge. I tried disabling my extensions on Chrome thinking it might have been that and it didn't work. I tried Edge thinking it might have been Chrome and it still does it.

As someone who gets visual migraines that are often triggered by flashing, this is really not great. Not to mention the slow scrolling down is real annoying.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

wow ok i understand now what you guys talk about. So weird that the page scrolls itself up, lol.
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never mind my previous comment, it's now also happening on my Laptop that also uses Chrome. Just like my Desktop, 80% and 125% seems to keep the banner from glitching out.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    As title states. What is up with the banner flickering and slowly scrolling. Are others having this issue (I saw one person mention it)?

I had that and have a work around that worked for me on the basic windows browser. If you click the three dots panel on the top right of your screen below the "x" to close the page you should get a menu with some options. My zoom was set to 115% for some reason. I changed it back to 100% and it solved the issue.

Hm. Perhaps something resolution/screen ratio/something related? Playing around with zoom definitely does something to it, but for me to unbug I need it either on <=85 or>=115. Both of which aren't overly comfortable tbh.

...wait, I know how to fix this faster. *cough* Dear ZOS, just today I was contemplating buying some substantial amount of crowns (which I haven't done for a while), but this silly banner kept flickering at the top of your store page too! It flickered so much I couldn't actually scroll down to where the crowns are. Thus, I was unable to buy crowns. UNABLE TO BUY CROWNS ZOS. This is priority 0, isn't it?
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    Raideen wrote: »
    As title states. What is up with the banner flickering and slowly scrolling. Are others having this issue (I saw one person mention it)?

I had that and have a work around that worked for me on the basic windows browser. If you click the three dots panel on the top right of your screen below the "x" to close the page you should get a menu with some options. My zoom was set to 115% for some reason. I changed it back to 100% and it solved the issue.

Hm. Perhaps something resolution/screen ratio/something related? Playing around with zoom definitely does something to it, but for me to unbug I need it either on <=85 or>=115. Both of which aren't overly comfortable tbh.

...wait, I know how to fix this faster. *cough* Dear ZOS, just today I was contemplating buying some substantial amount of crowns (which I haven't done for a while), but this silly banner kept flickering at the top of your store page too! It flickered so much I couldn't actually scroll down to where the crowns are. Thus, I was unable to buy crowns. UNABLE TO BUY CROWNS ZOS. This is priority 0, isn't it?

Yes Magdalina I too had issues buying crowns today. I wanted to buy 4 packs of 21000 crowns in preparation for the next event but I had the same issues you did.

• wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was time to replace my tablet lol
    I have noticed this a few weeks back and it's got worse for me. I'm sure zos are onto it by now. Im curious why it's happening.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wishlist14 wrote: »
    I'm sure zos are onto it by now.
    :lol:

• Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am using the latest Chrome... the flicker is quite intolerable, its also automatically perma scrolling the page down.

Like others have suggested, for some reason changing zoom levels can stop the flicker and scrolling.
    Edited by Grianasteri on October 17, 2020 4:52PM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am using the latest Chrome... the flicker is quite intolerable, its also automatically perma scrolling the page down.

Some have mentioned zoom levels... I have no idea how to adjust this at all in Chrome, I cant see any options to do so... can anyone advise?

I hit CTRL + to zoom in, CTRL - to zoom out, and CTRL 0 to set back to 100%
  • Rukia541
    Rukia541
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, just confirming we're looking into this. As others have mentioned, if you are zoomed in or out try setting it to 100% and seeing if that resolves the issue.

Changing zoom to 80% stopped it
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_SarahHecker : any update on this ? It's not a minor issue. We forum addicts will always find some sort a workaround, but most casual forum viewers, new players, etc... may be turned away. This is not comfortale at all for us and no good showcase for ESO.

• gongxizhirwb17_ESO
    yeah,zoom 100% will solve this problem,but what i see in this forum are too small.2k and 27inch screen
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah,zoom 100% will solve this problem,but what i see in this forum are too small.2k and 27inch screen

Try zooming up. The flickering comes and goes in steps. Maybe 120% or 150% will do th etrick for you and make things readable.

• Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For me its zoom level 125% that stops the flicker/scroll, and its a comfortable on screen size. I am actually enjoying the larger text.
    Edited by Grianasteri on October 26, 2020 11:06AM
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    either 80% or 125% works for me, though 80% is too small for me personaly. that said... I wasn't having any issues... until this morning. JUST after I ran a windows update that has been sitting there for about a week and I finally decided to stop ignoring it.

so I got to wonder if its related.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Sir_Gentleman777
    Sir_Gentleman777
    ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah,

i am neither zoomed in or out. Scrolling via the right scrollbar of my browsers works perfectly, scrolling via up- or down-key produces the menu-bar flicker, scrolling via the mouse wheel produces the flicker.

• Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My Android phone is literally covered with noise or repeating blocks of text or noise and black stripes.
    My work around is to go to the browser Settings then use the Back button. I have to do that every time I want to view a category page or "recent".
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still flickering for me. Anyone else still having issues?
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA