The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Patch v. 1.0.5 Mac Items

Moonraker
Moonraker
✭✭✭✭
The official Patch Notes rarely include technical changes, so I did test myself and confirm some changes that went into this latest version 1.0.5 update as follows:

Dual monitor support - This has been reverted as discussed in this thread and should now function as it did previously as requested by most players. From other comments this is confirmed.

Crash at Game launch due to a few non-English keyboards selected. - This has now been fixed so you should now launch correctly with Japanese or other symbolic languages selected. I tested this and it works as described.

Memory crash in Mac client - A number of memory leaks have been identified and fixes implemented to stop them which should be in for this update. The extent of just how much difference this makes in actual game play is hard to judge from my own testing at this stage but certainly seem to have little a bit and from other comments.

Edited by Moonraker on April 26, 2014 12:52PM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »
    Memory crash in Mac client - A number of memory leaks have been identified and fixes implemented to stop them which should be in for this update. The extent of just how much difference this makes in actual game play is hard to judge (they were relatively minor leaks found) at this stage.

It does make a noticeable difference. After 1.0.4, I went back to ultra-high graphics settings, with fullscreen (2560x1440), VSYNC off and view distance set to 80. TTC (time to crash) was about the same as with 1.0.3 and textures on medium.

This weekend, with 1.0.5 applied, I was able to play up to 4 hours continuously on these settings. Porting back to a super busy Daggerfall at the end of a long session of adventuring and questing usually pushed memory usage over the edge quickly.

Maybe that's what's still shoots down the client: many concurrent allocate/release cycles on multiple threads in a very high frequency (e.g. in Cyrodiil zergs, with thousands of assets to be dispatched per second). Think Race Condition, a behavior that's notoriously hard to catch. As I said elsewhere, if it would be easy to detect and fix, it would have been so a long time ago.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Memory crash in Mac client - A number of memory leaks have been identified and fixes implemented to stop them which should be in for this update. The extent of just how much difference this makes in actual game play is hard to judge (they were relatively minor leaks found) at this stage.

It does make a noticeable difference. After 1.0.4, I went back to ultra-high graphics settings, with fullscreen (2560x1440), VSYNC off and view distance set to 80. TTC (time to crash) was about the same as with 1.0.3 and textures on medium.

This weekend, with 1.0.5 applied, I was able to play up to 4 hours continuously on these settings. Porting back to a super busy Daggerfall at the end of a long session of adventuring and questing usually pushed memory usage over the edge quickly.

Maybe that's what's still shoots down the client: many concurrent allocate/release cycles on multiple threads in a very high frequency (e.g. in Cyrodiil zergs, with thousands of assets to be dispatched per second). Think Race Condition, a behavior that's notoriously hard to catch. As I said elsewhere, if it would be easy to detect and fix, it would have been so a long time ago.
    Thanks for the feedback @KhajitFurTrader. Informative as ever.

Personally I avoid increasing View Distance beyond the Ultra-High default of 62 (I think) as it really seems to impact memory use and will use additional memory, though not in to the same extent as Texture Quality.

I'm sure you are right, at least in the additional overheads in more crowded locations. Hopefully the other work ongoing and being tested in these conditions will help on this.

You mentioned it before but even running two add-ons (LootDrop and Esohead) there is a noticeable increase in 'at launch of character' memory, so those running a lot are I am sure impacting all this. As add-ons, especially the more demanding combat text types, as popular in PvP I can see that as another non trivial factor in this.
  • ldwulfub17_ESO
    Where do you actually see / confirm "1.0.5" in the UI?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where do you actually see / confirm "1.0.5" in the UI?
    Well the Patch Notes don't necessarily follow the live branch version of the game. But hopefully they at least reflect the general version which you can see on the game login page at the bottom left:

4c9xx3jswopt.png

Edited by Moonraker on April 22, 2014 2:03PM
  • ldwulfub17_ESO
    Great, thx. I am seeing eso.live.1.0.5.972475

BTW, going to the usual "About" still says 1.0.0 (1.0.0). They really out to fix that, although it is just cosmetic.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great, thx. I am seeing eso.live.1.0.5.972475

BTW, going to the usual "About" still says 1.0.0 (1.0.0). They really out to fix that, although it is just cosmetic.
    Agreed but not on high priority right now I'm guessing ;) Last time I checked PC client was at 1.0.0.1...
  • Volla
    Volla
    ✭✭✭
    Well i can still play like 15 min in Siege battle then my client crashes. and it haven´t stopped after the patch ether. as long i´m soloing its kinda working ok. but i cant really join the siege.
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    These are some good news.

I can say that normal questing did not crash in 3h of play, repeatable for me. Settings still on Textures:mid, rest around high/medium. And I run a ton of add ons (15).

On the other hand Cyrodiil: Sometimes I can play for 2h without a crash and sometimes it is crashtastic and for the cherry on top: never-ending loading screens when trying to log in again.

tl;dr: new patch good job in general. PVP still sucks, but changes are coming!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yshaar wrote: »
    These are some good news.

I can say that normal questing did not crash in 3h of play, repeatable for me. Settings still on Textures:mid, rest around high/medium. And I run a ton of add ons (15).

On the other hand Cyrodiil: Sometimes I can play for 2h without a crash and sometimes it is crashtastic and for the cherry on top: never-ending loading screens when trying to log in again.

tl;dr: new patch good job in general. PVP still sucks, but changes are coming!
    15 addons... You are really playing loose and dangerous! Braver person than me :)

I also noted that it had extended period before I crashed finally with Ultra-High settings (Shadow Quality to Medium is my only change normally). Over four hours though the crash report (I am testing so push it until it crashes) was only for 10-15 minutes and half memory for some reason. Activity Monitor showed the actual, memory which was above normal level. Happens sometimes I think.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Moonraker‌ I tried out Cyrodiil after 1.0.5 and maybe there is a slight increase to game time but it is negligible. Still crashes within 30-45 mins.

I'm hoping that sometime after the Craglorn patch rolls out, another hefty patch will roll out that really takes care of this nagging issue.

BTW, for the longest time games have been 32 bit and I don't remember having crashing issues let alone coming to the understanding that it is a memory leak. What makes ESO so different?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Moonraker‌ I tried out Cyrodiil after 1.0.5 and maybe there is a slight increase to game time but it is negligible. Still crashes within 30-45 mins.

I'm hoping that sometime after the Craglorn patch rolls out, another hefty patch will roll out that really takes care of this nagging issue.

BTW, for the longest time games have been 32 bit and I don't remember having crashing issues let alone coming to the understanding that it is a memory leak. What makes ESO so different?
    Pease point me to the other MMO games with native 32-bit clients. They only ones I am aware of is the old WoW 32-bit client which was replaced some time ago by a 64-bit client for the Mac and LOTRO native Mac client which crashes in around 30-60 minutes max. possibly longer if graphics turned right down.

Given that Blizzard had the resources they got their 32-bit client working decently over some years and then made the step up to 64-bit. Turbine basically just launched their client with no further development and it sadly languishes in the same state since closed beta effectively.

In ESO we have a native 32-bit Mac client which has all the main issues resolved now except the memory issue. Work continues on it and from changes made in updates since mass beta testing they are addressing this. It doesn't get around the fact that working within the constraints of 32-bit are not trivial, given the demands of modern 3D gaming in an MMO. The PC client also as memory issues though crashes less for reasons explained a number of times.

There is little to be gained from comparing single player 32-bit games from the past because it has little bearing when compared to an MMO launched in 2014 where the largest issue is in PvP big battles with hundreds of players on grid at the same time. Not one player running through a game or even smaller multi-player elements.

There are things that can be done to alleviate at least to some extent the issue which is most prevalent in the big battle PvP and are being done. But it's neither simple or fast to do so or it would have been done.
    The fact is that work continues and fixes are going in which are helping the memory issue generally and hopefully will make the difference in those high stress situations.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 25, 2014 1:59PM
  • ldwulfub17_ESO
    It doesn't get around the fact that working within the constraints of 32-bit are not difficult given the demands of modern 3D gaming in an MMO.

I think you meant "...not trivial..." It is, apparently, difficult.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't get around the fact that working within the constraints of 32-bit are not difficult given the demands of modern 3D gaming in an MMO.

I think you meant "...not trivial..." It is, apparently, difficult.
    Yep that's what I meant to say :) Thanks.