The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Can we please get rid of this silly Transmute Crystal cap

Twohothardware
Twohothardware
✭✭✭✭✭
I posted about this a year ago and everyone agreed the cap should be raised or done away with. Having a max cap of 200 with ESO plus and only 100 without it means you constantly have inventory slots held hostage by uncracked geodes you can’t open because you’re at the cap.

You get transmute crystals all the time from daily activities so you’re left having to transmute regularly or just needlessly let them sit in your inventory. All my main characters always have 10-20 slots used up by them.

Can we get the cap looked at and either raised or removed if you have ESO plus?
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol I guess I should of read the PTS patch notes before posting.
    Transmute Crystal Update
    To better enable you to use the new Item Set Collection system, we've increased the cap of Transmute Crystals! Now you can hold up to 500 Transmute Crystals (or 1,000 if you're an ESO+ member).
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having the cap raised to 1000 is great but it still won't stop me from having one or more mules specifically to hold onto geodes to bypass the cap anyway.

Get rid of the cap... er artificial inventory geode bloat mechanic.
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP didnt read the Patch Notes, which is a problem. However the cap itself is still silly.
    Until now ppl just have crafting chars that they stuff with PvP geods.
    After the update ppl will open the geods and simply reconstruct arena weapons that they have fully collected (like easy to get bows) for 25 stones and later decon them again for 25 stones.
    This will turn the system ad absurdum because ppl can more easily store huge amounts of crystals that way. You need 100 slots to store 2.5k in crystals for example.
  • MoonlightShadow
    MoonlightShadow
    ✭✭✭
    Having the cap raised to 1000 is great but it still won't stop me from having one or more mules specifically to hold onto geodes to bypass the cap anyway.

There is a prefect mechanism for storing large amounts of resources - the craft bag. Why not make this like crafting materials, so those with ESO+ get the bonus of having unlimited, and those without get capped at the 1000 mark? Gives a little more incentive for people to get ESO+.
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the tight control of crystal cap is to ensure there is a locked-in value based on what we can spend them on -- thus why they were raised when a new way to spend them was introduced. I'm not sure how I feel about having a cap at all. On one hand, it means you have to think carefully about what you are transmuting or reconstructing. On the other, Is it really that necessary to throttle how much we can modify our gear?

I imagine there's some unseen metrics that influence the decision to raise the cap instead of removing it. Some transparency on that would be neat, but the community tends to take data and run with their own interpretation, so I can see why that is kept internal.
          In verity.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a prefect mechanism for storing large amounts of resources - the craft bag. Why not make this like crafting materials, so those with ESO+ get the bonus of having unlimited, and those without get capped at the 1000 mark? Gives a little more incentive for people to get ESO+.

I think it would work fine as an uncapped currency even if it stays capped for non plus members. I'm baffled why they still want to hold onto this cap in general. It was mentioned above that players will just store arena weapons (or anything they can reconstruct for 25 crystals). So players will have a pile of 50 count geodes as well as 150+ reconstructed maelstrom resto staves in order to bypass this silly cap.

ZOS isn't fooling anyone. It's not a transmute crystal cap. It's an inventory bloat mechanic.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eiagra wrote: »
    I'm guessing the tight control of crystal cap is to ensure there is a locked-in value based on what we can spend them on -- thus why they were raised when a new way to spend them was introduced. I'm not sure how I feel about having a cap at all. On one hand, it means you have to think carefully about what you are transmuting or reconstructing. On the other, Is it really that necessary to throttle how much we can modify our gear?

I imagine there's some unseen metrics that influence the decision to raise the cap instead of removing it. Some transparency on that would be neat, but the community tends to take data and run with their own interpretation, so I can see why that is kept internal.

That reasoning for the cap only makes sense if there is an actual cap. There will be two ways to effectively bypass the cap using inventory space next update. Either through holding onto geodes or any item you can reconstruct for 25 crystals. They can't say they want to limit the impact of storing large amounts of crystals then also basically allow us to store 10's of thousands if we choose to use inventory to do so.
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭
    I posted about this a year ago and everyone agreed the cap should be raised or done away with. Having a max cap of 200 with ESO plus and only 100 without it means you constantly have inventory slots held hostage by uncracked geodes you can’t open because you’re at the cap.

You get transmute crystals all the time from daily activities so you’re left having to transmute regularly or just needlessly let them sit in your inventory. All my main characters always have 10-20 slots used up by them.

The proposed 1000 cap is really good, but if it was removed it would reduce the incentive to run Pledges ect to collect them.
    Say if you collected 10,000 of them just by passively doing things, you wouldn't need to farm for them , if you only have a 1000 cap then you will need to go farm for them when you are running low.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The proposed 1000 cap is really good, but if it was removed it would reduce the incentive to run Pledges ect to collect them.
    Say if you collected 10,000 of them just by passively doing things, you wouldn't need to farm for them , if you only have a 1000 cap then you will need to go farm for them when you are running low.

That logic only applies if you can't bypass the cap, which you can. If you are about to hit your 1000 cap, just reconstruct 10 items at 25 crystals each and store them on an alt. You now have 250 crystals "in storage" as items and 750 in your currency tab. You can store thousands of extra crystals as items.
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭

That logic only applies if you can't bypass the cap, which you can. If you are about to hit your 1000 cap, just reconstruct 10 items at 25 crystals each and store them on an alt. You now have 250 crystals "in storage" as items and 750 in your currency tab. You can store thousands of extra crystals as items.

But takes up tone of space, my bank is full of gear. however with the reconstruction, ppl will be able to clear some space in their banks.
    It still applies though, the average payer wouldn't be storing that many geodes.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had an option of a) Increase transmute supply b) No cap at all. I'd choose no cap.

Transmutes are the sort of thing that hurts when you don't have them, and also hurt when you have cap and are hoarding geodes. So, without a cap, there would be no hoarding of geodes. I know when I'm geode hoarding I shy away from transmute sources a bit because I don't want to hoard another. I think without a cap, there won't be moments of hoarding, nor slowing down on sourcing transmutes and people will generally have more of them.

I'm fine with their present supply, they should be something with a degree of scarcity, but also consistency, do a weekly trial = 5. PVP enough = 50. Do your pledges 7-10 per day. The supply as is, is fine. Especially when the cost in many cases will be under 50 for anybody that has run the dungeon/trial a couple of times and acquired enough pieces. Body pieces will be very easy to fill, and I suspect dungeon/trials will end with people trading their collected pieces for uncollected and they too will fill up pretty quickly. It won't take long before the cost of transmuting is 25 or near too.

So the cost has halved (eventually, I don't think it will take long), the cap has raised, and the supply is increasing. I love this new system, wanted something like it for a long time, I just have a concern that transmutes may become so common that they don't really have the value required.

For instance, the drive to farm a specific trial may be diminished by collections, but the hunt for transmutes will really drive people into trials, all trials, no longer will we be farming the same trial over and over, we'll be wanting variety for the transmutes, which is great! However, if transmutes become so abundant and start raining from the sky, there isn't much drawing you into a trial other than for the fun of it, which for many is enough, others, maybe not. Will the have a negative effect on trying to form a group in craglorn?

Edit: And lets say after some changes to the game, you decide to change out a set? Well, for every reconstructed item you decon, you get your transmutes back, so transmutes only cost in the first instance, their primary cost will be transmuting gold jewelry.
    Edited by richo262 on October 9, 2020 2:10AM
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But takes up tone of space, my bank is full of gear. however with the reconstruction, ppl will be able to clear some space in their banks.
    It still applies though, the average payer wouldn't be storing that many geodes.

Reconstructed items won't take up much space.

A mule with 210 slots can hold 5250 transmutes worth of reconstructed items. 1 trans-mule can effectively make the cap redundant. If you exceed your trans-mule just start transmuting weapons to nirn and decon.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cap is merely being raised because they are adding to the system in a way that will add significant cost at 125 crystals to craft a 5 piece set.

As such the OP's request is still very relevant. The cap has always been ridiculous. The fact we hoard geodes shows how pointless it is. Zos should eliminate the cap entirely as it makes no sense to keep it.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an idea.

They could make a soft cap. What I mean by this is you get 1000, after that any transmute after is only 50%. So below 1000, 10 = 10, after 1000, 10 = 5. You still never run into an inventory burden of geodes. You are still incentivised to spend them before the limiter takes effect, and it will now render it probably not worth the effort to run a transmute mule.

The cap is lifted, but the rewards become diminished at a certain point.

Rounded up, so 5 = 2.5, which is 3. Trial coffers say 5, but only 3 goes in the bank if you accept while above 1000. That or make it so that with the new increases all sources of transmutes are an even number.
    Edited by richo262 on October 9, 2020 6:14AM
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thing is you can already move around the cap and ppl do it.

PvP Geods from Campaigns with 50 Crystals come via mail and can be redirected to any character for storage.
    Rewards of the worthy can be moved this way as well allowing the geod to be taken on a character of choice.
    Pledge Geods can be stored on alts if you use them for pledges.

Especially the first 2 options are widely used.

Now after the update you can just crack most of the geods and can turn them into arena weapons (like masters bow). Stores 25 crystals that can be regained and are moveable. A Character with 150 free slots could store 3750 crystals easily. If tehy increase drops a bit you could store virtually unlimited amounts that way.
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dot understand the purpose of the cap. ive never even been remotely close to 1000 crystals, the most ive had was maybe close to 400 (through actual held crystals and crystals in geodes), but id still be for the removal of the cap altogether
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The purpose of the cap should be obvious. They want to make you consume the crystals and want to limit the amount of changes you can make at one time.

With the new gear set system though, I feel like it is time to make it unlimited. It will simplify gear management so much, letting people swap inventory management time for crystal earning tasks.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xebov wrote: »

Thing is you can already move around the cap and ppl do it.

PvP Geods from Campaigns with 50 Crystals come via mail and can be redirected to any character for storage.
    Rewards of the worthy can be moved this way as well allowing the geod to be taken on a character of choice.
    Pledge Geods can be stored on alts if you use them for pledges.

Especially the first 2 options are widely used.

Now after the update you can just crack most of the geods and can turn them into arena weapons (like masters bow). Stores 25 crystals that can be regained and are moveable. A Character with 150 free slots could store 3750 crystals easily. If tehy increase drops a bit you could store virtually unlimited amounts that way.

This is all too accurate. It is absurd we still have the cap after so many active players the cap is completely silly and virtually pointless.

LOL. It just crossed my mind that this new system will allow us to clear out a lot of inventory which means we can hoard more crystals making the cap even more absurd and silly. LOLOLOLOL
    Edited by idk on October 9, 2020 4:53PM
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a breakdown of the current transmute drop rates in PvE comparing live to PTS? I've read a couple places in notes/announcements/streams that they are increasing, but can't find the specifics. Thanks
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes pretty sure the old limit was to limit how much we could modify gear or rater make make farm for trait or spend crystal to transmute valid options where PvP players would mostly transmute while PvE mostly farm outside weapons.

With the new system and the new cap limit, problem still exist but is smaller. You can make 20-40 items with 1000, unless you need to have lots of alts bis it should be enough but will keep some 50 crystal geodes around :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.