Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.0 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Critical Strikes in PVP

Firstmep
Firstmep
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
With the recent changes to crit from the last 2 patches i wanted to touch on(again) critical strike based builds in pvp, and why theyre, for the most part woefully inferior to other options.

From the Update 28 Combat Preview:
"The main cause of this imbalance is the ease of access to gain Critical Chance in our game; we have a large amount of passive Crit enabled from passive abilities (Armor, Champion Points, Base Chance). On top of this, the raw standard of Crit Chance is higher than other DPS stats which results in stacking Crit being incredibly powerful."

Critical Strike chance may be too powerful in pve, however in pvp this is simply not the case, especially in no cp, where the access to critical healing modifiers is incredibly scarce.

In pvp, stats like maximum magicka/stamina, spell and weapon damage are just as important, and unlike critical strike chance, these stats actually directly affect your survivability.
Critical chance gives you a higher chance for your heals to give you a bigger value, but this in not guaranteed, where building for raw stats will give you a more measureable increase in both damage and survivability.
On top of it, critical based builds for the most part have to run light or medium armor, where as builds focusing on other base stats can get away with heavy armor(and with malacaths band of brutality you can even take your opponent critical resistance out of the equation).

On top of that, critical strikes are a modifier to your based damage done, meaning its simply not viable to build exclusively for critical strikes.
You might be able have a build that focused solely on critical strikes and have good damage in pvp, however defensively you will be lacking then.

So here is my proposal:

Make sources of critical damge(like major and minor force) also affect critical healing again, but only at 50% value.

Why? This change would make it viable to build for critical strikes and still have respectable amounts of healing, and investing into critical chance wouldnt feel like a waste over other stats.

Also this would not affect the damage of crit based builds(for example gankers) any further, however would increase the power of builds that ARENT trying to 1 shot people from stealth with crits.

A good example here would be magicka nightblade, which could benefit greatly from this change as they have access to multiple sources of high critical strike chance and healing.

Currently if you want to play a non-invisibility based magicka nightblade, you are pretty much forced to run heavy armor, and stack healing modifiers like vitality, maybe even Argonian.

With this chance you could be able to focus on high critical healing on a class, that already has a theme for having high critical damage.

Templars are another good example, currently theyre in limbo where you really want to run proc sets to boost your damage, since outside of jabs most of the offensive skills of templar are just weak.
On top of that both magicka and stamina templars have been having issues with self healing on offensive builds.

Once again, this would not up the damage of these specs, however you could utilize their critical damage passive(and perhaps add some additional support for critical healing) to a better effect.

If anything this would encourage templars to run more offensive focused builds, as opposed to running sword and board and heavily rely on blocking.

We also have some crit based sets that could use some adjustment:

Briarheart: I have already brought this up, but in my opinion the heal from this set should be allowed to critically heal, to better support the playstyle it promotes(building for high critical chance).

Slimecraw: From the 6.2.0 PTS patch notes :
"While each of these bonuses is normally worth 2 for Minor and 4 for Major, they are worth .5 less than their original value while sourced on an item set, since they are mainly sourced via the abilities and passives in the game. This ensures if you opt to run a set that grants you a permanent major or minor buff, you’ll gain some extra effectiveness on top of that to ensure they aren’t completely wasted if you gain access to the buff from another source."

So where is the extra bonus for slimecraw? In comparison Mighty Chudan also provides 1.2k max health on top of the major resolve buff it provides, and thats also a 2pc monster set.

Maybe add a small amount of extra critical chance to the 2pc bonus of slimecraw?

TLDR: Let sources of critical damage also apply to critical healing at 50% effect

• x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how when you look through the bug, complaints, and gripe threads in the forums, you see like zero about crit being too good or too easy and yet here comes ZOS "Crit needs nerfed". Classic case of manufacturing problems that don't exist so they can keep you grinding instead of focusing on the vast array of problems and issues that do exist and people constantly complain about.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    x48rph wrote: »
    Funny how when you look through the bug, complaints, and gripe threads in the forums, you see like zero about crit being too good or too easy and yet here comes ZOS "Crit needs nerfed". Classic case of manufacturing problems that don't exist so they can keep you grinding instead of focusing on the vast array of problems and issues that do exist and people constantly complain about.

Crit builds in pvp have a bad reo cuz it's mostly used by squishy gankers and ofc nightblades have a lot of built in crit passives.
    Anyway what I'm proposing would make those builds do more dmg, but would help other crit based builds to have a presence in pvp.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dont want to just bump the thread, but i forgot to @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_Gilliam

So there it is ^^
  • OlumoGarbag
    OlumoGarbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean they are right tho, building for crit has been the best strategy in pve for years not allowing other specs to be strong. The only reason pet sorcs were building for max mag was bc pets scale with max mag. Well not anymore so now all build diversity is-> build crit
    Just took them way to long to react to it.
    class representative for the working class, non-cp, bwb and Trolling
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean they are right tho, building for crit has been the best strategy in pve for years not allowing other specs to be strong. The only reason pet sorcs were building for max mag was bc pets scale with max mag. Well not anymore so now all build diversity is-> build crit

But building for crit is going to be even more powerful in PvE next patch. Penetration will be easier than ever to acquire, and with the addition of Minor Brittle, and the buff to Major force. You will be even more dependent on crit chance for optimal DPS.
    Everything this patch will effect PvP a great deal more than PvE. What players are losing in PvP they can not regain somewhere else. But in PvE they are making additions to account for the losses, mainly in greater raw weapon/spell damage, better sustain, and higher crit damage.
    Saying that, I fully support the direction and feel there is a lot of balance to be gained by these changes. But I also fully understand that building for damage done far surpasses building for crit in PvP, and this isn’t really being addressed.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But building for crit is going to be even more powerful in PvE next patch. Penetration will be easier than ever to acquire, and with the addition of Minor Brittle, and the buff to Major force. You will be even more dependent on crit chance for optimal DPS.
    Everything this patch will effect PvP a great deal more than PvE. What players are losing in PvP they can not regain somewhere else. But in PvE they are making additions to account for the losses, mainly in greater raw weapon/spell damage, better sustain, and higher crit damage.
    Saying that, I fully support the direction and feel there is a lot of balance to be gained by these changes. But I also fully understand that building for damage done far surpasses building for crit in PvP, and this isn’t really being addressed.

Like i said in the original post, allowing more crit heal scaling would benefit builds that go that route defensively, wouldn't really benefit heavy armor malacath or procset users and in general wouldn't affect pve dps builds much.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

Like i said in the original post, allowing more crit heal scaling would benefit builds that go that route defensively, wouldn't really benefit heavy armor malacath or procset users and in general wouldn't affect pve dps builds much.

I think it’s much simpler in just removing base crit chance and slightly increasing the crit chance gained on gear. That way building for no crit has a very large trade off when it comes to self healing.
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s much simpler in just removing base crit chance and slightly increasing the crit chance gained on gear. That way building for no crit has a very large trade off when it comes to self healing.

Yes, this is what is missing. Although it seems to me that in general, when it comes to PVP, ZOS doesn't like forcing people to make tough choices/tradeoffs. (Unless you're playing on a magblade, of course.)
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That would change nothing, people in Pve would still use crit sets and if you think a 40k hp heavy stamden cares about crit heals..
    Either they need to make it easier to stack crit from gear(which is a good idea), or make the rewards higher (better crit heals).
    I went with the heal part Beacuse it wouldn't empower gankers any further.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will be amazed if you get a dev response from this. Now if your concern was with housing or anything crown store related that would be a different story.
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe reducing BASE crit DAMAGE from I think 50% would help (10-25% base). So you have to actually build for crit damage. Maybe have a maximum of 50% crit chance and damage, and increase base normal damage by 10-25%.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would change nothing, people in Pve would still use crit sets and if you think a 40k hp heavy stamden cares about crit heals..
    Either they need to make it easier to stack crit from gear(which is a good idea), or make the rewards higher (better crit heals).

Major Mending: Decreased to 16%, down from 25%.
    Minor Berserk: Decreased to 5%, down from 8%.
    Minor Protection: Decreased to 5%, down from 8%.
    Major Protection: Decreased to 10%, down from 30%.
    I'm pretty sure stamdens will feel something next patch.

And building for crit will always be optimal in PvE. Even more so now with these changes.
    Major Force: Increased to 20%, up from 15%.
    Minor Brittle: Increases the target’s Critical Damage taken by 10%

As for gankers... they are not very effective in group play, and we can't start building the game around solo PvP. If you build for crit, you end up squishy as hell, and that is a fair trade due to the power you are supposed to gain from it. The problem is that there is very little trade off outside of solo ganking.
    @ McAttack in game
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Major Mending: Decreased to 16%, down from 25%.
    Minor Berserk: Decreased to 5%, down from 8%.
    Minor Protection: Decreased to 5%, down from 8%.
    Major Protection: Decreased to 10%, down from 30%.
    I'm pretty sure stamdens will feel something next patch.

And building for crit will always be optimal in PvE. Even more so now with these changes.
    Major Force: Increased to 20%, up from 15%.
    Minor Brittle: Increases the target’s Critical Damage taken by 10%

As for gankers... they are not very effective in group play, and we can't start building the game around solo PvP. If you build for crit, you end up squishy as hell, and that is a fair trade due to the power you are supposed to gain from it. The problem is that there is very little trade off outside of solo ganking.

Reality is, malacath makes most crit builds obsolote, so do procsets.

Gankers or not, thats the reality, and nerfing crit chance further isnt going to make me want to de slot malacath.Or procsets.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are mistaken, I never wanted to nerf crit chance. I asked for the base to be removed, because even a 15-20% chance to crit heal is significant, especially if it is stacked with vitality and mending, compared to around 60% in a full crit build in no-cp while you are left with 18k hp, 16k resists and *** all W/SD. But I also suggested the amount granted on gear to be increased to compensate.

It's starting to feel like, because of nightblades, and peoples lack of ability to deal with them, we can't empower crit builds here. And that is just sad...
    @ McAttack in game