Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Proper crown exchange method please! :(

richo262
richo262
✭✭✭✭✭
So, I just got scammed for the first time, not a good feeling, 825k down the drain.

I have placed a ticket with ZOS and screen shoted the encounter. Updated ticket with screenshots.

Guy just says, 'thx for paying me back' leaves group, blocks me, runs away. Never met the guy and owe nobody any gold.

Would be great if you can place crown items in a trade window. and confirm the exchange in the window box.

How is ZOS for banning scammers? And for people getting their gold back?
Edited by ZOS_Adrikoth on September 26, 2020 12:26PM
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS does not have a good record for doing anything about this. They might reimburse your gold, they may not. Perhaps the new Microsoft Overlords will take this more seriously.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy is still in Deshaan, my guild is talking about another guy that just got scammed there by the same guy.

Talking with the victim and yep, same guy.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    ZOS does not have a good record for doing anything about this. They might reimburse your gold, they may not. Perhaps the new Microsoft Overlords will take this more seriously.

Yeah, I'm both apprehensive yet hopeful about MS.

There really needs to be a safer method of crown exchanging then this prob will be gone, hopefully MS does something with that.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That scam could be instantly fix, but for some reason ZOS won't even try. All ZOS needs to do is make a crown gift box for sale, This crown gift box would contain 500, 1000 or 5000 crowns and would be trade-able. People could put this box in the trader, trade window or mailed COD.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There will be even more scammers next patch so be aware. Houses will be giftable and they cost alot.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    There will be even more scammers next patch so be aware. Houses will be giftable and they cost alot.

I was just thinking that. Its madness to allow the trading of something so expensive without proper security over it.
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I submitted a ticket a while ago and they still haven't responded. I even have a video recording of the whole incident.

There are more scammers than ever before because they don't get punished.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If ZOS allows gifting then they should give player's a safe way to do it period. Pure greed and failure on their part.
  • Thechuckage
    Thechuckage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why they haven't worked in an in-game system for this. It would be a fantastic gold sink and people would still have to buy the crowns in the first place, so......win / win.

IE player A wants to buy 5000 crowns. Player B puts the crowns up for X amount of gold. "A" opens in game window, says I'll pay that. And boom, crowns show up in the mail just like a trader buy. Heck, it might be usable with the current guild trader system with a bit of work.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or have an option to include crown store items in the trade window itself. A toggle on the inventory window that changes the Inventory to the Crown store, browse it, place item in the trade window.

Player A puts 825k in window
    Player B puts 15 crown crates in

Both confirm, Player A transfers 825k to B. Player B is deducted 5k crowns. Player A receives 15 crates.

Player B cannot put a crown item in the window that is greater than the crowns they have, just like Player A cannot put 1 million gold in when they only have 100k.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure why they haven't worked in an in-game system for this. It would be a fantastic gold sink and people would still have to buy the crowns in the first place, so......win / win.

IE player A wants to buy 5000 crowns. Player B puts the crowns up for X amount of gold. "A" opens in game window, says I'll pay that. And boom, crowns show up in the mail just like a trader buy. Heck, it might be usable with the current guild trader system with a bit of work.

Moving gold from one person to another person is not a gold sink. A gold sink takes gold out of the game, like horse training and armor repair at a merchant.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it, but there really is no truly safe way to do this.

I've heard stories of "vetted so and so and lots of folks said he was reliable" and then still some peeps got scammed.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend Crown Promissory Notes be implemented.
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Crown Promissory Notes in denominations of 100, 1000, and 10000 Crowns.
    -A Tradeable item that lets you redeem it for Crowns. This would replace gifting as the main (and insecure) way to "sell Crowns".
    -Not saleable to NPC vendors.
    -Redeemed by Destroying it -- so you can't "accidentally" destroy it, nor can you accidentally redeem it.
    -If you can't sell it, you can just redeem it yourself. Lossless.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can't name the scammer here without the information getting redacted, but World Crown Exchange discord does maintain a scammer blacklist. https://discord.gg/ZRvAHF8 and if you have evidence you can report it there.
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    If ZOS allows gifting then they should give player's a safe way to do it period. Pure greed and failure on their part.

I'm sure ZOS is aware of how much crown selling is going on. They can't have missed how much people go through Crown Sellers to buy their crown crates or DLCs -- that, or their marketing department is completely inept.
    Amazing that ZOS continues to do things in a worse way than much older MMOs who didn't have issues like this because their implementation of cash shop currency conversion made fraudulent transactions impossible.

All this despite the fact that it is in their interest to actually promote crown selling because the people who want your stuff aren't the same people as the whales who are willing to spend IRL money. ZOS really needs to research player play patterns in every part of their game.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on September 26, 2020 7:21AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that this means to trade crowns for gold is rather second rate and it is clear Zos did not put much thought or care into it. When a game that died as fast as SWTOR has a system that is so far superior to what Zos created one has to shake their heads.

All that was needed was to convert every item Zos wanted to be "giftable" into a token that can be traded in-game and sold at guild traders. The guild trader system would have created the same means to handle the trade and the entire idea is an amazingly simple solution (not saying simple to code as that would take time).

It is not to late for Zos to do this right. After all, the current GF, even with its issues, is still far superior to the joke of a GF we had when the game launched.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    richo262 wrote: »
    Or have an option to include crown store items in the trade window itself. A toggle on the inventory window that changes the Inventory to the Crown store, browse it, place item in the trade window. ...

Pfft this is ZOS you're talking about. You can't even use for yourself crown crates that got returned. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/419744/how-do-i-get-a-returned-crown-gift-back

Seriously their coding is so full of oversights.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on September 26, 2020 7:23AM
  • AndrewQ84
    AndrewQ84
    ✭✭✭
    Technically speaking, the gift system is not for exchanging crowns for gold and vice versa. The gift system is that, a system so you can gift stuff to friends and family. Players have chosen to use it as such and was not the original intention. So, ZoS will not do anything for you on that. It's a buyer beware type thing. You are choosing to use a system in a way it was not meant to be. I know it sucks, but tough. Don't expect anything back from ZoS on that. As far as they are concerned, you gave that person your money as a gift.
    Sa'hira of the Shadows, DC Nightblade and ruins explorer extraordinaire.

"May your day be awesome and full of Bacon!!!"

- Me
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish there wasn't even an option to gift items so if someone wants an item that cost real money, they need to spend their own money for that.

No one would get scammed and more people would buy them with real money and not in game gold that has no value whatsoever. Much easier for ZOS.

"What if I want to gift my friend an item?" Send him/her real money via PayPal or something, problem solved.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they fix this for you and I would be quite surprised if they don't.
    Always go through people you trust when doing stuff like this. It's better having no crowns until you find a reliable source that your friends can confirm.

I hope the guy fronts up in the meantime and gives your money back. *** move.
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on September 26, 2020 11:49AM
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They might return your gold once but not after it. It's not ZOS's fault you got scammed. I know it sucks but you are trading with an unknown person in a game so it's always risky.

There will be much more scammers in the next dlc with house gifting which is sad. Especially when they can just scam, change in game name and continue it with other names.
  • Flaaklypa
    Flaaklypa
    ✭✭✭✭
    my friend got permabanned for scamming too many people like this. so Zos does act upon it
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I found it really interesting that the guy who did the recent Twitter Bitcoin hacks was a young guy who got his start scamming people in Minecraft. He would agree to sell items and then take people’s money and never deliver. Basically the same as what crown scammers do constantly in ESO, with seemingly no punishment. That behavior easily escalates if they find they can get away with that sort of thing.
    Edited by Pevey on September 26, 2020 12:24PM
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Hey there @richo262

If you could provide your ticket number we would be happy to check its status for you and make sure it is in the right place.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Adrikoth , 200925-007888. Thanks :)
    Edited by richo262 on September 26, 2020 12:30PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frontend wrote: »
    my friend got permabanned for scamming too many people like this. so Zos does act upon it

With friends like these....

@richo262 : I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago. ZOS reimbursed me the gold and warned me that they would not do it a second time. What they did against the scammer I don't know, disciplinary action are not outed nor discussed. When you get the gold back you're somewhat relieved, but it still does not take away the bad taste in the mouth.

You should use the discord exchange services. They're secure.

@everyone : no, ZOS will not implement a secure system directly in the game. Crown - gold exchange is tolerated, not supported. Actively supporting it would make a direct link between gold and crowns, giving everything the status of real life currencies, and that would have legal consequences on the crown crates which would somehow collision with many gambling laws in various countries.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on September 26, 2020 12:40PM
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Thanks @richo262

We can confirm that this ticket is with the right team and a support agent will investigate as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience and as a reminder, updating your ticket will put it at the end of the line and delay the response time. Because of this, we recommend only updating your ticket as necessary.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frontend wrote: »

I find that hard to believe.
  • SDKTJ
    SDKTJ
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get your hopes up, I submitted a ticket on August 20th about a crown scam, I have made a forum post since that I update occasionally and it still hasn't been resolved. In fact my ticket was closed so I can't even update it, just scam someone yourself since that's the only way to make your money back when support doesn't help you.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AndrewQ84 wrote: »
    Technically speaking, the gift system is not for exchanging crowns for gold and vice versa. The gift system is that, a system so you can gift stuff to friends and family. Players have chosen to use it as such and was not the original intention. So, ZoS will not do anything for you on that. It's a buyer beware type thing. You are choosing to use a system in a way it was not meant to be. I know it sucks, but tough. Don't expect anything back from ZoS on that. As far as they are concerned, you gave that person your money as a gift.

I understand there may be a requirement for the terminology to remain 'gift' rather than anything else. There is no reason you can't hand that gift over in person via a formal "gift" window that looks very similar to the trade window, and there is no obligation for the other party to give any gold in exchange in said "gift".

This is why, while others have thought about having promissory notes or putting an item on a guild trader, as great as that is, it may not maintain the gift status. Having the ability to add crown store items to a trade ("gift") window would still constitute a potential gift as the other party can simply accept without exchanging anything, a guild store listing has a fixed price and clearly constitutes a trade rather than a gift.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the simple answer is NEVER trade without a middle man. A genuine trader will have no objections.
This discussion has been closed.