The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How do I get a returned crown gift back?

The702Guy
The702Guy
✭✭✭
I sent someone a crown gift, they returned it to me, and I can’t pick it up. It will only let me send it to someone else and if I try to send it to myself but says “this player can’t accept this gift”.
  • Earrindo
    Earrindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for whatever reason, you can only regift gifts that havent been accepted, you cant take them for yourself.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest creating a ticket. I would expect that it is not intended that if someone does not accept the give you cannot use it. Just a guess.
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was in original announcement that returned gifts could NOT be used by the sender, they are must be sent to someone else.

All gifts have a 14 day expiration timer, at which point the gift is returned to the gifting player.

Returned gifts live within the “Returns” section of the Gift Inventory.
    Returned gifts cannot be claimed by the player who purchased the gift originally, but can be gifted to another player.
    Edited by Nightfall12 on June 16, 2018 4:51AM
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't get this. If you've spent Crowns on an item that gets sent back to you, why can't you claim it? What if it's something no one else you know has any use for or wants? Nope, instead you're out x number of Crowns b/c fsr ZOS decided that you shouldn't have access to something you spent the Crowns on, should the original intended recipient not claim it for whatever reason.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    I honestly don't get this. If you've spent Crowns on an item that gets sent back to you, why can't you claim it? What if it's something no one else you know has any use for or wants? Nope, instead you're out x number of Crowns b/c fsr ZOS decided that you shouldn't have access to something you spent the Crowns on, should the original intended recipient not claim it for whatever reason.

Its because ZOS decided that "Once a gift, always a gift" is the way to go.

The system is very well set up to give gifts to people you personally know and whom you are certain want the item.

The system is not set up to support giving gifts to strangers, trading gifts for gold, or giving surprise gifts even though you are allowed to do all those things. You just run the risk having your gift returned, which you must then re-gift to someone else.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and so it begins...
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watch ZOS support inbox become flooded with crown item resellers and buyers who have been scammed xD Oh dear

This is gonna be fun.

star-trek-enterprise-animated-gif-21.gif
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically if you want to give a gift you need to make sure the other person doesn't have the item, wants it, and will be able to get online to receive it (and will notice they've received it) within the next 14 days or you risk being stuck with a useless item. At least until you can find someone else to gift it to.

Although I do wonder how this works with the concerns about selling gifts for gold. Is there an expiration timer on returned gifts? Or could you gift a limited-time item to someone who has promised to return it, then keep it in your gifts menu until the item is out of the crown store, then sell it to someone who missed it when it was originally available?
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Xepla
    Xepla
    ✭✭
    I will gladly take the thing your friend doesn't want
    Those who listen at doors always wonder what is beyond them. - Mephala, the Webspinner
  • The702Guy
    The702Guy
    ✭✭✭
    Well I submitted a ticket to ZoS to get my crowns refunded. That is stupid if you can’t get your item back if it is returned to you....
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    How exactly do you gift an item? Can you only gift something? Can you only gift something you purchase right away from the crown store?
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
    Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
    Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
    Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
    Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
    Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
    Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
    Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
    Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
    Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
    Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
    Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The system is very well set up to give gifts to people you personally know and whom you are certain want the item.

The system is not set up to support giving gifts to strangers, trading gifts for gold, or giving surprise gifts even though you are allowed to do all those things. You just run the risk having your gift returned, which you must then re-gift to someone else.

That doesn't clear up anything. It's a digital good you spent real money on. It makes no sense for it to have restrictions like the ones ZOS implemented.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 16, 2018 9:00PM
  • Tyralbin
    Tyralbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    How exactly do you gift an item? Can you only gift something? Can you only gift something you purchase right away from the crown store?

Mouse over the item. if it is giftable (not sure if that is even a word, hehe) a gift box will appear on bottom right hand corner.

To then track gift there is also a gift box icon on top right of crown store.

This will tell you what is happening with the gift.
    Live a little love a lot send all your gold to this Imperials pot.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That doesn't clear up anything. It's a digital good you spent real money on. It makes no sense for it to have restrictions like the ones ZOS implemented.

It's a digital good you spent real money on (unless using free crowns from your subscription) in order to participate in the gifting system for which the conditions have been made absolutely clear from the outset. If people choose not to read those conditions, or to ignore them, then they are in no position to complain about it afterwards. It was perfectly clear.

It was introduced in response to a request from players to be able to help out their friends, or to provide raffle prizes etc for their guilds. It was never intended to be a commercial transaction that benefited the player making the gift and I don't imagine that it was ever intended that gifts would be purchased from the crown store on a purely speculative basis. As such the conditions make perfect sense, although I have to admit that I've always suspected that such a gifting scheme would inevitably end in tears for players and a lot of tickets for the support staff.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it make sense? Only in a "this is the way ZOS chose to implement it" sort of way.

Judging by how ZOS set it up, they designed it to fill the needs of people who have been asking for a way to send crown store gifts to friends/family/significant others that they know the person wants.

ZOS clearly didnt design it to be a system where "I bought it, I can do whatever I want with it" is true, like you suggest, or else they would have needed to make some serious changes to the gifting system. During PTS, we tried to point out the problems, including the lack of security for trades and people not being able to use returned gifts - ZOS chose not to listen to feedback.

Ultimately, the only answer is "Because ZOS designed it that way" no matter how nonsensical or restricted we think it is. We gave feedback during testing and ZOS chose their own vision instead.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was in original announcement that returned gifts could NOT be used by the sender, they are must be sent to someone else.

All gifts have a 14 day expiration timer, at which point the gift is returned to the gifting player.

Returned gifts live within the “Returns” section of the Gift Inventory.
    Returned gifts cannot be claimed by the player who purchased the gift originally, but can be gifted to another player.

My guild was bouncing a dye pack around yesterday between players. I think it went through four players before it was sent to a guildie who hadn't been in discord, who accepted it.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos implemented it with a "no return policy".

OP just now needs to find someone else to gift it to.

Don't buy crown gifts if the receiver doesn't want them.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The702Guy wrote: »
    Well I submitted a ticket to ZoS to get my crowns refunded. That is stupid if you can’t get your item back if it is returned to you....

2ccwag.jpg

Edited by Taleof2Cities on June 16, 2018 11:34PM
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Earrindo wrote: »
    for whatever reason, you can only regift gifts that havent been accepted, you cant take them for yourself.

That is just... insane, typical Zos..
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it pays to read up on things before doing them.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26375
    The gift recipient must accept the gift within 14 days to receive the item, but if they decline or fail to accept the item in time, it is simply returned to its original purchaser. Note that the purchaser in this case is unable to make use of any returned gifts themselves, but can resend it to the original or a different recipient.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

We gave feedback during testing and ZOS chose their own vision instead.

Not sure whether I should laugh or cry, considering the fact that ZOS does this with literally everything. LOL :cry:
    Edited by Nyladreas on June 17, 2018 2:06AM
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use it to annoy friends by sending them candles and i keep resending it back to them if they return it :)
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juju_beans wrote: »
    it pays to read up on things before doing them.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26375
    The gift recipient must accept the gift within 14 days to receive the item, but if they decline or fail to accept the item in time, it is simply returned to its original purchaser. Note that the purchaser in this case is unable to make use of any returned gifts themselves, but can resend it to the original or a different recipient.

Nobody assumes that the system would have some bat *** crazy clause like that.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

It's a digital good you spent real money on (unless using free crowns from your subscription) in order to participate in the gifting system for which the conditions have been made absolutely clear from the outset. If people choose not to read those conditions, or to ignore them, then they are in no position to complain about it afterwards. It was perfectly clear.

It was introduced in response to a request from players to be able to help out their friends, or to provide raffle prizes etc for their guilds. It was never intended to be a commercial transaction that benefited the player making the gift and I don't imagine that it was ever intended that gifts would be purchased from the crown store on a purely speculative basis. As such the conditions make perfect sense, although I have to admit that I've always suspected that such a gifting scheme would inevitably end in tears for players and a lot of tickets for the support staff.

Let's say you give a gift to someone IRL. They choose not to accept it. It is returned to you. You can now use it yourself or re-gift it.

It's common sense to assume that you can use a returned gift yourself. Nobody would think that such a nonsensical policy as the one in this game would exist.

That's like buying a car from a car dealership only to realize it came with no wheels. The dealer tells you that you should have read the fine print that said their cars don't come with wheels. No sane person would assume that because cars always come with wheels. It's common *** sense. So yes, people do have a right to complain.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 17, 2018 7:50AM
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is my guess that it is set up this way to avoid possible chances where the Sender is giving a gift of item they already own. If that gift is returned, that person can't use it as they already have it, so they made a rule that prevents the need to give refunds.
    NOW I know this is just 1 scenario where this makes sense and there are so many more that it doesn't apply, but it looks like they went for the least common denominator approach 1 rule that fits all.

Either way if I'm giving a gift in this game its to someone I know wants that item and isn't buying it themselves.
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is my guess that it is set up this way to avoid possible chances where the Sender is giving a gift of item they already own. If that gift is returned, that person can't use it as they already have it, so they made a rule that prevents the need to give refunds.
    NOW I know this is just 1 scenario where this makes sense and there are so many more that it doesn't apply, but it looks like they went for the least common denominator approach 1 rule that fits all.

Either way if I'm giving a gift in this game its to someone I know wants that item and isn't buying it themselves.

If you already have the item, you wouldn't be able to use it.

The option to use yourself OR re-gift should be there.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 17, 2018 7:51AM
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Whether it's meant to only be used for gifting close friends or guildmates or not doesn't take into account that crap happens. Someone you gift something to might end up losing internet or their computer for an extended period of time without warning, or maybe they change their mind after the gift has already been bought and sent. Maybe they asked for something, but asked for the wrong thing on accident and meant another item, not the one that was bought for them. A lot of the items have similar names so it's easy to get certain things mixed up. Or what if they ask for an item but don't realize they already have it? Sometimes I forget the items I've gotten from Crown Crates over the months.

Yes, you could argue on some of these points that both parties should double-check these things, but human error always has and always will still exist. Mistakes will happen, people will get things switched up and confused even after checking. And in terms of someone not being able to get to the computer for an extended period of time, that happens to people all the time because life is life and is unpredictable.

The way this system now doesn't allow room for any of these unexpected long-term things or honest human error. The simple fact remains, regardless of how you want to say the system is intended to be used; you spent the money on it, you should be able to either credit it to your account, or have the Crowns for the item refunded. You shouldn't be stuck with something that you can't use and that other people might not want or have a use for.
    Edited by Arunei on June 17, 2018 10:20AM
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS' implementation of the gifting system has issues, we all knew that, gave PTS feedback, and ZOS didn't listen. By all means, keep pushing ZOS for change -I wish you better luck than we had on the PTS.

Until then, as with all things ZOS: Caveat Emptor and read the fine print. You can't "assume" things work the way you think they should.
  • ArvenAldmeri
    ArvenAldmeri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can gift me if you want :D xD Oh boy, I wish I had someone to send me gifts xD
    Magicka sorcerer from start until the end. Always. Through the good times and the bad, even now when its probably saddest PvE dps it has ever been.
    Even as an owner of one radiant apex mounts I am against radiant apex mounts and anything thats not obtainable by direct purchase.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that if you're selling Crown store items for gold, this is just an inconvenience. You don't particularly care who gets the item, as long as they are willing to pay, so you just have to ask in zone chat and find another customer. A nuisance, but I doubt it would do anything to discourage such sales. Plus, if you're looking to convert Crowns to gold in the first places, you probably want to find a new customer rather than use it yourself, so even if the option were available to you, you probably wouldn't want to use it anyway.

But imagine a legitimate situation: e.g., giving a friend a surprise gift for their birthday, not realizing that they had just recently bought it for themselves (or someone else got the same idea to gift the item), and then getting the item returned. Now what? It's not like you can just find another good friend who has a birthday coming up very soon and for whom that item makes sense.
    Edited by code65536 on June 17, 2018 12:50PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch