The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Frost Staff changes in Update 28 (unofficial suggestion)

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shield is gonna be ... Lacking. It kinda has to be, if its decent in PvE it'll probably be too strong for PvP because to be useful to a tank it'll have to be independent of spell damage or max mag.
    Edited by Waffennacht on September 20, 2020 6:13AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • jesse318sub17_ESO
    jesse318sub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I actually mostly like these changes, but by removing the innate block cost and damage reduction from ice staves and moving it to a skill that will likely never be slotted... Ice staves have been pretty well hurt for tanks in PvE.

If ZoS were to incorporate all of the changes, and leave ancient knowledge untouched, ice staves would be, IMO, well balanced and viable for many pve scenarios. But by making all of these changes AND removing ice staves innate blocking potential, the purpose of the ice staff is lost and garbled as it is no longer a very good defensive weapon, AND an inferior offensive weapon as well.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually mostly like these changes, but by removing the innate block cost and damage reduction from ice staves and moving it to a skill that will likely never be slotted... Ice staves have been pretty well hurt for tanks in PvE.

If ZoS were to incorporate all of the changes, and leave ancient knowledge untouched, ice staves would be, IMO, well balanced and viable for many pve scenarios. But by making all of these changes AND removing ice staves innate blocking potential, the purpose of the ice staff is lost and garbled as it is no longer a very good defensive weapon, AND an inferior offensive weapon as well.

IMO ice staff needs an offensive bonus tied to it exclusively like the other two destruction elements have (single target bonus for fire, multi target bonus for lightning) in order for the staff to have an actual balance of offensive and defensive capability. It has no offensive capability right now. The changes they're giving are a lowering of WOE's damage and a support-based debuff, Minor Brittle, neither of which truly up its offensive capability.

As in, if they ''incorporate all of the changes and leave ancient knowledge untouched,'' it won't be a better offensive weapon than if they DO touch ancient knowledge. I just want to clarify that.

As far as I can see, though, they aren't changing ancient knowledge. Trifocus is the passive that makes ice staff heavy attacks taunt. Ancient knowledge is the passive that offers the ice staff's block cost and damage reduction. They've only reported on changing trifocus. Or did I miss something?
    Edited by emilyhyoyeon on September 20, 2020 6:00PM
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • JohnOfMarkarth
    JohnOfMarkarth
    ✭✭✭
    They've only reported on changing trifocus. Or did I miss something?

Thats was given as an example. The full extent of changes will be known tomorrow. That was not patch notes. Just snippets of what could be expected
    Edited by JohnOfMarkarth on September 20, 2020 6:25PM
    I can't do this anymore. Every small ... petit change that went against any semblance of sense has snowballed into an avalanche of (Penn & Teller:) Bulls...!

Gods, bless me with patience.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    adding major breach and fracture to it sort of devalues weakness to elements as that skill already has major breach on it, along with a morph that no-one in their right mind ever uses.

Yeah, but tanks already face a severe bar-space crunch with all of the mandatory skills that they need to slot for de-buffs.

Having to run two separate skills to fulfill taunt + resistance debuffs is a gigantic nerf compared to simply using S&B and Puncture.

There's also no reason to use the Frost taunt if you're using S&B and Frost Staff since, as has been said, the Undaunted ranged taunt is leagues better. Frost Clench definitely needs to have resistance de-buffs if it wants to see any use outside of purposely inefficient theme builds.

And then Elemental Weakness should have the unused morph drop the resistance de-buffs and instead apply Minor Maim and Minor Heroism so that double Frost Staff tanks can obtain those S&B buffs without having to rely on RNG Chilled procs or having to play only a certain class or use only certain inefficient armor sets.
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Things like projectile shield could be useful in PvP, but for PvE everything but Minor Brittle seems like fluff.

Question is who applies it?

Healer: unlikely as most time is spent on resto bar
    Tank: OT can forgo SnB and run two frost staffs as well as run charged trait
    DD: if two frost staffs and charged trait is reuqired then it's probably a big DPS loss and letting an OT do it is probably better.
    Non-warden: unlikely due to warden's chilled passives.

However, even if it's not meta for magden to apply it
    -it's good for frost magden RPers in non-meta groups (likely running tanks with SnB as well) as they bring a lot to the table.
    -it's a buff to both warden DD's generally as groups will attempt to keep chilled up 100% from some role which fully activates warden's crit damage passive

Edited by thadjarvis on September 21, 2020 9:10PM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    thadjarvis wrote: »
    Things like projectile shield could be useful in PvP, but for PvE everything but Minor Brittle seems like fluff.

Question is who applies it?

Healer: unlikely as most time is spent on resto bar
    Tank: OT can forgo SnB and run two frost staffs as well as run charged trait
    DD: if two frost staffs and charged trait is reuqired then it's probably a big DPS loss and letting an OT do it is probably better.
    However, it's good for frost magden RPers in non-meta groups (likely running tanks with SnB as well) as they bring a lot to the table.

That is the question right now, as it's certainly between off tank and dps. if we can guarentee magden's place as being the best chilled applicant that would likely be for the best as it means tanks can't steal the utility. it involves buffing by changing the damage types of animal companions skills to frost, and just giving magden another skill in winter's embrace like AB4.0 that helps a ton with chilled proc.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Proccing chilled is a minor issue. The problem is that you have to run 1 or 2 frost staffs
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    thadjarvis wrote: »
    Proccing chilled is a minor issue. The problem is that you have to run 1 or 2 frost staffs

i don't think that's a problem. we wanted them to be used in the first place.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nooooo don't touch the frost staff. I have the best heavy armor pvp sorc tank with frost staff and it is perfect as it is. Don't change anything. Pretty please with sugar on top. It's great as it is. Dps have already other staves, why why why ruin at option to play other kinds of builds too? I need the heavy attack taunt and damage shield and need the blocking to cost magicka. Whyyyyyyyyyyy? I need the wall of elements as it is. It's great as it is. Wtf actually wtf?? Stop this nonsense and focus on performance pls.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pauwer wrote: »
    Nooooo don't touch the frost staff. I have the best heavy armor pvp sorc tank with frost staff and it is perfect as it is. Don't change anything. Pretty please with sugar on top. It's great as it is. Dps have already other staves, why why why ruin at option to play other kinds of builds too? I need the heavy attack taunt and damage shield and need the blocking to cost magicka. Whyyyyyyyyyyy? I need the wall of elements as it is. It's great as it is. Wtf actually wtf?? Stop this nonsense and focus on performance pls.

well, i'm not zos, but mag dps have a severe lack of options compared to stamdps with flame being the best for pretty much the entire history of the game. you're in the minority when it comes to liking the tri focus passive. most people find it annoying and don't consider taking it. frost wall of elements definitely needs some help as currently shown on the PTS though.
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't touch my frost staff, noooooooooo. I'm so upset now. It's the best destro staff in my book. I use it on magnb too on some set ups. Noooooooooooooo
  • dangeraaron10
    dangeraaron10
    Soul Shriven
    Really should have Ice Staff be a DPS weapon, given that it's part of the -Destruction- school like its Fire and Shock counterparts. Ice is always going to be mediocre at tanking and damage as long as it tries to do both, rather, it should be a damage weapon with a different utility than what Shock offers.

Then come in with something like "Alteration Staff" to bring in another classic TES magic school and just dedicate it to tanking so it can actually be properly balanced for Magicka tanks. Alteration for tanking, Restoration for healing, Destruction (Fire, Shock, AND Frost) for damage.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magward also quite likes her current frost staff (resto on back bar). She's a durable/solid damage dps with some heals but likes having a taunt for reigning in a rogue WB who is chasing squishies all around. That said, skill bar space is way too tight to actually slot a taunt skill. Unintentional taunting is easy to avoid since resto heavy attacks work better to restore magicka anyway. I'll wait and see but my intiial thinking if the proposed changes go live is to dump the frost staff and go with a lightning staff. Just looks like I lose the taunt and really gain no dps from the changes.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also already use frost staff on my pc dps magden and it's great. I also have resto on backbar and i heavy attack on it for regen. This is madness i'm telling you, the worst idea since nb butchering. Who's idea is this anyways?
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean are we all supposed to use the same builds that you can read on some webpages, can't we make our own and play as we like? Or this that too much to ask? Well, i guess Christmas is soon here, time to take out cookie cutters :/
  • Nova_J
    Nova_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    A new ranged magicka taunt available to all classes isn't needed; we already have one.

What we don't have is a magicka chain available to everbody. Without that, I don't see how a more-magicka-than-stamina tank could ever be good in trash fights. And while the DK's magicka chain is good, the warden's doesn't seem very popular, and the necro's substitute has limitations.

Or is there something I'm overlooking here?

Silver leash is a chain skill available to all classes. Though it isnt a mag skill.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is my thoughts about the changes.
    Impulse: Each elemental type of this ability and its morphs have gained new functionality.

Flame Impulse now deals bonus damage that scales based on missing health if the target hit was burning.

Frost Impulse now applies Minor Protection to up to 6 group members for 6 seconds.

Shock Impulse now deals 5% more damage for each enemy hit, up to 30%.
    The Frost Staff version may want to consider applying Minor Vulnerability to targets, if you want to be semi-consistent with m/M Brittle with a different debuff. You have already a protective skill via Wall of Elements, that's effectively a barrier that protects user and group members.

I am weary that ZOS is trying to add too much to defensive qualities and not enough utility that could swing both ways for dps and tanking.

Tri-Focus:

This passive no longer causes your Heavy Attacks with a Frost Staff to taunt the enemy.

Increased the strength of the Damage Shield granted from Heavy Attacking with a Frost Staff to 12.5/25% of your Max Health, up from 4/8%.

This should be streamlined to provide a flat +4/8% strength to Damage Shields. This would support a broad range of players, not specific to tanking, but very beneficial for tanks that use harden armor, igneous shield, bone shield, etc. In addition to other class and non-class skills that offer this type of protection.

Edited by Sahidom on September 24, 2020 3:48PM
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over all, good changes if they go live... but with a few really really disappointing issues that hopefully DONT go live.

Why reduce the damage of Wall of frost? What are they thinking? You cannot try to make frost staff more viable for dps then go and remove damage from one of THE main magica dps skills. Really idiotic move in my opinion.

Glad to see the heavy attack taunt gone and replaced with a morph for an actual skill, as it always should have been. If thats how it goes live, good job.