Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Medusa drop rate

ACamaroGuy
ACamaroGuy
✭✭✭
What is the drop rate on Medusa flame and lightning staves and jewelry? I've solo ran this dungeon 32 times and grouped 3 times in the last two and a half days. Only three rings and one necklace has dropped. As for the flame and lightning staves...nothing. why do they make it so difficult to get this? Does it actually hurt the game or cost them money to increase the drop rates? Do they think a person wasting their time doing the exact same thing over and over and over and over again is fun for that person and keeping them interested in the game?
For the Empire
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had about 50 runs of Direfrost Keep in hopes to get Ice Furnace lightning staff, alone and with friends. Guess what? :D
    And I'm yet to see any Medusa staff. Got lucky with a necklace tho, I've heard that it also drops rarely.
  • calitrumanb14_ESO
    calitrumanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I got both in chests after 20 or so runs. Don't overlook the treasure chests!
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    40 runs so far... nothing. All chests looted...
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    I got both in chests after 20 or so runs. Don't overlook the treasure chests!

I'm usually finding three to four chests a dungeon run. It's just kind of frustrating.
    For the Empire
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got a Medusa flame staff yesterday after 103 runs since patch, and no, I am not exaggerating that number. I have group loot notifier on the whole time and didn't see another person get any shock/fire staffs at all.

Ring's and gear drop most commonly
    Necks somewhat rarely
    Staff is a very rare drop, at least the shock and inferno variants.

Arx Corinium is definitely the new "City Of Ash" grind. For those of us grinded that for BSW gear, here we go again. Hopefully others luck will be better than mine but from all the postings here about the horrid RNG on drop rates I wouldn't count on getting the staff quickly. Would probably be wiser to just farm Jewels, then Chest/Legs for 100% uptime on 5 piece. Downside is you would probably want to use light on your monster sets which equals more grinding. Pick your poison I guess.

Another common sense tip for farming Medusa, only run Normal if you are after the staff/gear which can easily and cheaply be improved...vet for purple jewels ofc.

May RNGesus be with us all. GL!

Also, similar thread here already:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/543210/does-the-medusa-destruction-staff-drop-in-anything-besides-ice

xom9X3j.png
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just got a Medusa flame staff yesterday after 103 runs since patch, and no, I am not exaggerating that number. I have group loot notifier on the whole time and didn't see another person get any shock/fire staffs at all.

Ring's and gear drop most commonly
    Necks somewhat rarely
    Staff is a very rare drop, at least the shock and inferno variants.

Arx Corinium is definitely the new "City Of Ash" grind. For those of us grinded that for BSW gear, here we go again. Hopefully others luck will be better than mine but from all the postings here about the horrid RNG on drop rates I wouldn't count on getting the staff quickly. Would probably be wiser to just farm Jewels, then Chest/Legs for 100% uptime on 5 piece. Downside is you would probably want to use light on your monster sets which equals more grinding. Pick your poison I guess.

Another common sense tip for farming Medusa, only run Normal if you are after the staff/gear which can easily and cheaply be improved...vet for purple jewels ofc.

May RNGesus be with us all. GL!

Also, similar thread here already:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/543210/does-the-medusa-destruction-staff-drop-in-anything-besides-ice

xom9X3j.png

Just fyi, always farm in vet because vet mode has chest level Intermediate>, which always contain a set item.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just fyi, always farm in vet because vet mode has chest level Intermediate>, which always contain a set item.
    I was not aware of that. Surely could help the grind out a bit especially since it's a pretty easy and fast run dungeon. Good and helpful info. Thanks :smile:
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much attention to this set on the forums. Will be nerfed in no time flat.

My guess will be "when you crit you apply minor force to yourself for 10 seconds" 15 s CD next patch.
  • supersonic_kitten
    supersonic_kitten
    ✭✭✭
    Got a lightning Medusa staff while running normal dungeons for skill points. THANKFULLY on my CP character. Did not intend to farm this set but I guess now I have to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They buffed the set, nerfed the drop rate to make you farm it, running again a dead dungeon.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its funny I got my Medusa set YEARS ago and it was fairly easy from memory... I guess they changed the loot table this patch :)
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If you have treasure hunter passive, even most simple chests contain a set item.
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Never farm in Normal, you can guarentee that the staff you want will drop to the CP 120 player you just helped complete it :disappointed:

Ran it about 20 times and i dropped ;

4 rings
    1 necklace
    2 Ice staves

1 Inferno dropped in group
    1 lightning dropped in group

Edited by molecule on August 29, 2020 1:13AM
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    molecule wrote: »

Never farm in Normal, you can guarentee that the staff you want will drop to the CP 120 player you just helped complete it :disappointed:

Ran it about 20 times and i dropped ;

4 rings
    1 necklace
    2 Ice staves

1 Inferno dropped in group
    1 lightning dropped in group

While I see your point, I have run into plenty of below 160cp players in vet dungeons too. It's just a lot quicker on normal with pugs. Can get 3-4 runs from a normal pug vs 1 vet. I have gotten both of my medusa shock/inferno staffs from normal. Most people running Arx atm aren't going to trade their staff either so a bit of a moot point imho.

The biggest positive to running vet seems is all chest are intermediate or higher, so I have been doing vet mostly.
    Edited by scorpius2k1 on August 29, 2020 2:53PM
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If you have treasure hunter passive, even most simple chests contain a set item.

I know but still Simple chest with Treasure Hunter has less chances in dropping set item than an Intermediate set.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Too much attention to this set on the forums. Will be nerfed in no time flat. My guess will be "when you crit you apply minor force to yourself for 10 seconds" 15 s CD next patch.

Why? It's a heavy set that is inferior to MS for those who get CD in other ways. No idea on earth why that would be nerfed? Maybe you were joking?

To the topic, did about 20 runs so far, got infused lightning and sharpened inferno, one neck, two sets of rings, several set pieces that could be easily worked into a light armor setup. Maybe was just lucky, but nothing remotely like the BSW grind IME. Hitting all the chests is easy to do in that dungeon because most of them stick out, and it's one of the easier dungeons on either normal or vet. Can't remember the last time I saw someone die in there. It's so fast and straightforward that it would be pretty easy to get up a farming group in Deshaan/Craglorn, etc. and burn through it, unlike COA. Average run on low pugs is 10 minutes, with at least one decent dps, much faster.

It's also a dungeon where a DPS or healer could easily reconfigure into a tank to get faster GF.
  • gamerguy757
    gamerguy757
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t get the staff.
    I run
    5x Medusa (chest legs jewelry)
    5x Julianos (once I can get Trail Gear)
    2x Ilambris

But the way I got mine was farming AC on my tank and queuing during the day it was Undaunted. It took about 16 Runs to get all 5 pieces.

What sucks the most is once you get all the pieces....now you need 150 Transmute crystals 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
  • Feaky
    Feaky
    ✭✭✭
    Just hit 50 runs, both solo and with a group, mostly vet. No staves at all, 1 neck and a few rings. I've been grabbing all bosses and 4 chests each run. This is getting ridiculous. At this point, I'd rather go without the set than continue farming this zone. It is not fun at all.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    So on run 40 I picked up the infused lightning staff from a simple chest. I'm now on run 46. So far I have picked up every armor piece twice or more, one lightning staff, two necklaces, four rings, one ice staff and two restoration staves. Getting ready to start run 47...
    For the Empire
  • gongxizhirwb17_ESO
    get my inferno staff on group vet last BOSS.after a day and night farm.
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I acquired the necklace, two rings, lightning staff, resto staff, and 3 body pieces in 3 runs on a single night. Never got the flame staff.

I just stopped after that cause my luck farming something has never been that good and never will again.
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the farming of this set cause a friend wanted the jewelry and staff....I can tell you it took us quite a few goes to get it that inferno staff especially.....we spent ages redoing that dungeon. I lost count of how many times.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I did the farming of this set cause a friend wanted the jewelry and staff....I can tell you it took us quite a few goes to get it that inferno staff especially.....we spent ages redoing that dungeon. I lost count of how many times.

150 times for me to get the inferno staff! Maybe bad luck, more likely a really crappy drop. I got multiples of every other staff, lightning being the 2nd rarest, only got 3 of those.
  • big_ear_midget
    big_ear_midget
    ✭✭✭
    i see people are farming for the medusa set What builds are you using it for? pvp or pve? tank? dps? thanks!
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i see people are farming for the medusa set What builds are you using it for? pvp or pve? tank? dps? thanks!

Sorc PVE DPS. I prefer simple rotations for numerous reasons, and it mostly works well for that paired with Mothers Sorrow... as a replacement for my FGD/MS build that just lost 20K DPS with the patch.
  • pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medusa is a static bonus, unless your other set is also static, why are you using a Medusa inferno staff? I run 3x jewellry, 1 chest, 1 legs, with a duration proc set as my other set, so the bonus will carry to the back bar.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pklemming wrote: »
    Medusa is a static bonus, unless your other set is also static, why are you using a Medusa inferno staff? I run 3x jewellry, 1 chest, 1 legs, with a duration proc set as my other set, so the bonus will carry to the back bar.

On the back bar, your dps is minimized because you only refresh dots there. You want to have Medusa active during spammable phase, and if it isn't active during dot refresh phase, it's not a big deal.

But it depends on what the second set is. Siroria, yeah of course, it's better to have Medusa Legs/Chest/Jewelry as Siro is easily front bar-able. Master Architect the same. However, False God is another story. People act like -1k magicka is a super big deal and False God is dead, but they forget that not every group is fully optimized and sustain matters in such non-optimized groups. Some classes can sustain with False God active only on front bar, but some classes cannot. In that case, you want Medusa Inferno.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on August 30, 2020 8:33AM
  • pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually run overwhelming as my 'False Gods', the duration on the ae and return means it works happily on my back bar and I dont drop. Parses show an increase to dps, but more importantly, I dont need to farm a Medusa staff. I am quite liking the bonuses of running 2 heavy, rather and 1 heavy, 1 meduim, too.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    So run 67 was my lucky number for the inferno staff.
    I did help a guild mate run this dungeon after I got mine. I picked up his inferno staff by run 3. Argh...
    For the Empire