The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

We should tone down the "different play or significant changes = less skillful or just bad" approach

• Playboy_Shrek
    Playboy_Shrek
    ✭✭✭
    hard core players are vocal minority on the forum. the problem is that they cause the power creep. and like years later when games like WoW are bad they wonder. "wow they really *** the game up!" like no you did.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hard core players are vocal minority on the forum. the problem is that they cause the power creep. and like years later when games like WoW are bad they wonder. "wow they really *** the game up!" like no you did.

Players don't really create power creep, except maybe in the sense that they are constantly looking for the best ways to accomplish a goal. Which, that's a perfectly normal way to play a game!

The Devs create power creep by the simplistic methods of selling new content: stuff has to be "better", even slightly, than what came before. If it's available, players will use it - that's the point of having it. And then the Devs eventually have to nerf that power creep back so old content doesn't become obsolete. Sometimes they need specific problem sets (ex. Earthgore, Sloads, Thrassians) and sometimes they nerf everything (ex. Morrowind sustain nerfs).

I mean, we see that with the AOE spam in Cyrodiil. ZOS added a lot of sets and skills to ESO that when used in tandem by an organized group allow the group to have unintended levels of power. And now we're seeing ZOS go "Yeah, we didn't mean for it to get out of hand, now we're considering nerfing your power levels."

The blame for power creep lies with the Devs, not the players figuring out how best to use the available parts of the gameplay.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s quite obvious who is right. This game is a business and people vote with their wallet, not by who’s loudest on the forums.

If most people didn’t like proc sets, why would Zenimax keep adding them? Why would they add content that people don’t want?

Because the truth is that most people do like proc sets. They add newness to the game, they change game mechanics. If I was wrong, then Zenimax has a horrible business model.

Most people that play this game are not elite pvp purists who are constantly measuring their “skill”. Most people are casual pve and pvp players who enjoy trying new builds or watching cool animations from different setups. This game is about fun and people vote with their wallet

So now anyone who doesn't like procs is an elite pvp purist with an ego trying to measure his skill.

All right bud. Lmao.

OH and btw, "more fun" and "cooler animations" doesn't make the argument "removing skill from the game" any less true. Now I could also argue how procs does not actually open up new builds but quite the opposite but I wouldn't really expect you to understand cause in every thread u just repeat the same nonsense.
    Edited by pieratsos on August 9, 2020 9:23AM
  • Dovahmiim
    Dovahmiim
    ✭✭✭
    @sabresandiego_ESO
    I don't understand your argument here. Are you implying proc sets are only fun if they are effective in cheesing people down with limited player input? If you're saying that proc sets spice up the game, and have a place in PvP, I agree. Nobody is saying that proc sets shouldn't exist, they are just against proc sets that carry players into having far more pressure than they should, with zero drawback. Poor proc design like icy-conjuror / hunter's venom are clear examples of this, they scale up in effective when you have numbers advantage, and are borderline useless for 1vX etc. As such, they are a crutch for bad players to Xv1. This is because there are no counterplay tactics, other than "just outheal" it bro. Is it not possible for these sets to be balanced so there is a downside to having outrageous amounts of free damage for a braindead proc condition, without them being fun?

You mention that new gap close proc set as an example, claiming it will bring more diversity to the build pool in PvP, but what you're really saying is "people will gravitate towards it because it's free damage with no resource cost, off global cooldown". I'm perfectly okay with that, but again, all people are asking is that this damage isn't an autowin for anyone using it. Is it possible for it to be "fun" without it also being Xv1 proc cheese? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but it seems like you're saying these sets will only be fun if they artificially boost bad players up to being a genuine threat. That is the literal definition of poor game design, if that's a prerequisite for the game to be "fun" to you, then you may be beyond help.
    I'm better.
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    The upcoming proc set unleashed terror is the perfect example. That set looks like tons of fun. Many high end players forego gap closers and have for many years: because gap closers can be buggy, unresponsive, and put you in a horrible position strategically, as well as being resource inefficient. This proc set brings new life to these gap closers and opens up all kinds of new build ideas. That to me is fun: and I don’t care if an elitist who is obsessed with measuring skill thinks that it lowers the skill cap.

I don't think there's a problem with that. Strictly speaking that's not even a proc set, it just supercharges one of your abilities while you sacrifice stats for it. There's no RNG or cooldown. It just turns one of your skills into a DOT and creates a playstyle for you to make decisions around. If you want to lean into that with a vMA battleaxe go ahead: it could be broken if the numbers are poorly thought out but that's a problem with stat sets too. Caluurion based on crit damage rewards cloak + concealed weapon, and that's fine as long as the burst numbers aren't off the charts (off-the-charts numbers are a possibility for any offensive set).

What's problematic is that a tank can take advantage of that just as well because the tooltip doesn't scale. And it becomes especially problematic when the proc condition is just having a detectable pulse because that turns DPS skills that have little to no payoff on tanks (or even light attacks) into something they can take advantage of even if they're invested entirely in health.

There's no reason why that can't be changed. Many "proc" sets could have the exact same tooltip or even be balanced towards viability on DPS without creating constant, passive, braindead pressure and encouraging tanks to wear them.
    Edited by Recapitated on August 9, 2020 12:23PM
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You clearly were not around between morrowind and cwc, were you?
  • Mortiis13
    Mortiis13
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish everyone GL against my malacath 3 proc set 44k HealthNecro afk build. Only offense skill is Blastbones.

Is eso turning into afk arena?
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way too many people are attached to accidental mechanics and it shows.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is not doing a thing more skillful than e.g. weaving?

How is giving up a few k resources a bad thing if the procced damage outclassed anything you lose? Not to mention the 40k health proc builds that are floating around?

How is forcing cooldowns 6 years after release suddenly a good thing?

How is being hardcountered anything but bad design?

How about a massive meta change propose for you: my main class hardcounters yours main class and I proc 13k extra damage by not spending resources via light attacks - all for the cost of what? 300 spell dmg or the likes?

I kinda respect your opinion but sorry, this just hurts reading.

Correct
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people are biased and cannot see beyond their personal bias. They are also easily conned by videos and the opinions of streamers and elite players.

Very few people can objectively think for themselves and make unbiased rational decisions.

What if something is 10% less skillful but 90% more fun? I personally enjoy the skill factor in these games tremendously, but enjoy the fun factor significantly more. If something slightly lowers the skill floor or even ceiling by a reasonable amount but more than makes up for it in fun factor then it is probably a good game design decision.

The upcoming proc set unleashed terror is the perfect example. That set looks like tons of fun. Many high end players forego gap closers and have for many years: because gap closers can be buggy, unresponsive, and put you in a horrible position strategically, as well as being resource inefficient. This proc set brings new life to these gap closers and opens up all kinds of new build ideas. That to me is fun: and I don’t care if an elitist who is obsessed with measuring skill thinks that it lowers the skill cap.

Why are those players elite? Because they're better. Why? Because they understand the game better. Proc sets are not skill based, pushing one button in a video game and getting two high damage hits is not a smart design, it specifically there to carry players who are not good at video games or have lower reaction times.

Not everyone in a video game needs to be on the same level. Some will be dominate, others will play but never be able to compete with the better players. That's ok. That is how all of life works.
    Edited by ZarkingFrued on August 10, 2020 5:17PM
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why are those players elite? Because they're better. Why? Because they understand the game better. Proc sets are not skill based, pushing one button in a video game and getting two high damage hits is not a smart design, it specifically there to carry players who are not good at video games or have lower reaction times.

Here is that bias again. Lets break it down:
    roc sets are not skill based, pushing one button in a video game and getting two high damage hits is not a smart design

Your opinion - not fact. Also, completely irrational. If you can't deal with getting two high damage hits from target, then either you lack the skill to build well, or the skill to react faster.
    it specifically there to carry players who are not good at video games or have lower reaction times.

Your opinion again, not fact. In fact, it is specifically there to make sure bad players that can't deal with having the reaction time to dodge / expect caluurion with a hard hitting skill as well pay for it. So it helps seperate the bad players that can't deal with procs, from the good players running procs and dealing with them.

Do you see how this is just as rational? Do you see the bias there?

If a counter argument can be made and it just becomes my opinion vs your opinion.
    Not everyone in a video game needs to be on the same level. Some will be dominate, others will play but never be able to compete with the better players. That's ok. That is how all of life works.

That is correct. That is why players in this game tend to create a fantasy-environment/world for themselves, where they think their arbitrary rules, make them more skilled.

Example, this game usually has 2-3 pages of rules for 1v1 tournaments, CP players saying non-CP players are #$%#$ and non-CP players saying CP players are basically on CP free-tanky/sustain crutches, etc... You're doing no different. You're taking your opinions, and trying to present them as FACTS of skill difference.

If you took your last line of advice, you would be comfortable with the fact that it's ok to have proc builds hard-counter non-tanky builds, and to realise that 1vX should be impossible in a well balanced game and so on.

If you want a pure contest to measure some fantasy skill value, put players in a game with no different variables and no RNG. Same gear. Same skills. Same stats. No Crits chance, etc.

You'll quickly see that most competitive PC games that are successful dont do that, they thrive on dissimilar and hard counter framework of metas and counter metas. So lets all stop pretending this game has some absolute measure of skill.
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerhesi wrote: »

Your opinion - not fact. Also, completely irrational. If you can't deal with getting two high damage hits from target, then either you lack the skill to build well, or the skill to react faster.
    it specifically there to carry players who are not good at video games or have lower reaction times.

Your opinion again, not fact. In fact, it is specifically there to make sure bad players that can't deal with having the reaction time to dodge / expect caluurion with a hard hitting skill as well pay for it. So it helps seperate the bad players that can't deal with procs, from the good players running procs and dealing with them.

It is a fact. For any rational person who actually understands the game this is patently obvious. The fact that you don't see this speaks volumes.

I am curious when you do a dungeon as a DPS what is your typical percentage of damage done? Would you like to run a vet dungeon together so we can see?
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    logically the correct response to "proc" metas is to just be tanky enough that the first burst or 2 or 3 procs firing at once won't kill you.
    Since you have to sacrifice a lot of raw dps stats to pull that off you can balance it by using proc sets yourself.
    As far as I can see the inevitable outcome of these changes is everyone moving towards heavy armour proc set builds.

This is why ZoS originally changed proc sets to not crit but also to apply dots instead of a single large hit.