The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Stealing and pickpocketing are basically useless outside of doing the Thieves Guild questline IMO

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dovakhan wrote: »
    (..) no matter how good you're at pickpocketing, you ALWAYS end up with a substantial bounty at the end of the day. I've a Khajiit (+5% bonus), 3/4 Light Fingers, and I never pickpocket anything at less than 60% chance (and usually at 80% or more, plus green marker), and I've still racked up a bounty of 8k in my last pickpocketing spree attempt (...)

Pickpocketing n stealing are very profitable if you know where/who to pickpocket.

All my legerdemain/TG/DB passives are maxed on my main char, a DK, so I don't get caught easily. Bounties are kinda low and go away pretty fast if I ever get caught. And I never use any sets for decreasing radius detection or increase stealth.

Advise: level up all your passives related the mentioned skill lines, even the ones you might think are "useless"

Good for you. Go make your "24k in a day". I'll make 200k+ in about the same time.

Truth is, unless you're a dedicated RPer or you're kinda in the mood for pickpocketing, you mostly steal for gold or profit. And as much as I like stealing myself and have in fact a dedicated infiltrator char, most of the times I find myself thinking "What for, if I can just do about 20 other activities that brings me way more gold with way less trouble?"

THAT'S why I think that it's seriously underwhelming. No interesting rewards whatsoever. No motivation to do so.

I think you are misunderstanding the 24K in a day aspect of this. People don't mean a full day of pickpocketing. They mean like an hour. So I highly doubt you are making 200K in an hour scrying or farming overland, unless you too are getting extremely lucky.

Plus, you make that pickpocketing gold and then also move on to other activities afterwards.

But really, just don't do it. If you think it is a waste, then don't do it. I don't see why you feel the need to belittle people for participating in an aspect of the game they enjoy that has zero bearing on how you play.
    Edited by jaws343 on August 11, 2020 2:17PM
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you are getting 8K bounties, you're doing it wrong.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »
    If you are getting 8K bounties, you're doing it wrong.

Not to mention there are items that wipe your bounties for free. Or just waiting for a period of time.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit thinks you are absolutely correct, and you should never waste your time stealing.

=^.^=
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit thinks you are absolutely correct, and you should never waste your time stealing.

=^.^=

Is this Khajiit called M'aiq?
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

=^.^=

Is this Khajiit called M'aiq?

No, this khajiit likes to redistribute unjust wealth with minimal competition :)
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pickpocketing and thieving are mostly beginner skills because they ARE useful when you don't have a lot of gold, don't have access to a guild trader, and aren't above CP 160 so you can't farm gear to sell. Its how I used to pay my dues early on when I first started the game, its how I afforded all of my research (Bank and mount), and how I was able to buy my first horse.

That's right - we had to BUY our first horse when I first started playing the game.

Its still useful in some areas, like Wardenfell, where you have to pickpocket to get rare blueprints and motiffs. But outside of that, there is largely little incentive to do it after a certain point.
  • azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

I've made literally millions through a life of crime, lol. And the blue/purples are just chump change. It's all about motifs and furniture recipes.

I almost never get a bounty, and it's not even a khajit.

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on August 11, 2020 3:25PM
    Xbox-NA
    Guildmaster of Nightmothers Deadly Deals

PVE/PVP Stamblade: Ylandra Silverthorn
    PVE Magwarden healer: Raw'zl Dah Zel
    PVE DK Tank: Greta Feuerwerk
    PVP StamDK: Helga Feuerwerk
    PVP Necro Healer: Dratha Helbain
    PVE Magcro: Dorian Fey
    PVE Magblade: Arivssa Thaoral
    PVE Magsorc: Eldara Birchwood
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And I doubt that 1 extra skill point would make any substantial difference, much less in the mechanic as a whole.

You spent on point one, which is 10%. You spent on point 2, which is 10%. Point 4 is 15%. Why bother spending on any of them if their individual impact is so little, in your estimation?

Seems really weird to be complaining about getting caught while refusing to invest that skill point to improve your chances.

And why are you talking about 'doubt.' This is simple math. We can compute the number of additional times you will on average be caught for not taking that perk. We can then figure out the expected added bounty (with a bit of a guess on potential added bounty from fleeing guards). If you are going to make a post complaining about stealing, shouldn't you do that math first?
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on August 11, 2020 3:09PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seldom pickpocket, unless it's required for a Thieves Guild job.

On the other hand, I loot containers and break into safe boxes frequently.

The key to looting containers profitably is to leave the small stuff and take only the higher-priced stuff, since you only get a certain number of fences per day.

The key to breaking into safe boxes is to get the passive skill that improves your chance of picking locks successfully, so you can open a safe box as quickly as possible before someone walks by or turns around and sees you.

As for bounties, just find a place to chill out for a while and let your bounty go down-- and get the passive skill that increases the rate at which your bounty goes down. I like to port to a house to wait out my bounty; any house will do, even one you don't own yet-- just don't try to leave until your bounty is gone, or else port from the housing preview to a house that you do own.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Sindala
    Sindala
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA:
    If you are going to loot chest or safeboxes,
    Please loot all the stuff inside so another can respawn for somebody else.
    So annoying to find unlocked, half looted chests and such.
    Being First is not the prize, it just mean's everyone can stab you in the back.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sindala wrote: »
    PSA:

I really wish we could put this nonsense to rest already. Chests are on a respawn timer the moment the chest is unlocked. It doesn't matter if everything is take, nothing is taken or only some of the items are taken, the chest will respawn at exactly the same rate.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    PSA:

I really wish we could put this nonsense to rest already. Chests are on a respawn timer the moment the chest is unlocked. It doesn't matter if everything is take, nothing is taken or only some of the items are taken, the chest will respawn at exactly the same rate.
    Yup, this goes for chests, safeboxes, thieves troves, nodes for crafting mats, and possibly some other things I'm forgetting. The respawn timer starts when it's opened and the roll is made to determine what the contents are, not when it's emptied. This has been confirmed by devs on the forums multiple times since launch, and anyone who doesn't believe it can easily test for themselves by finding an out of the way chest or node, opening it without emptying it, and waiting to watch it despawn and respawn.

Of course, since I use auto-loot, have a craft bag, and everything has some value, I always take everything. But this old wives tale that they don't respawn unless you empty them keeps getting spread around.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    PSA:

It'll respawn, sure. But it didn't respawn before I got stuck with your junk, as opposed to not being there so I could move onto the next one. So irritating.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    meanwhile... i just go into couple of locations that have few to no npc's in them and quickly loot all the cupboards for furnishing patters/vendor trash/occasional cooking patterns, etc. faster, easier, still gives me occasional opportunity for pick/pick/stab without getting caught. maybe... pick better locations and be more careful?
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides, no matter how good you're at pickpocketing, you ALWAYS end up with a substantial bounty at the end of the day. .

Which is why I tend to avoid it! I instead go for those Strongboxes instead :)
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Thieves achievements are dramatically behind for most of us. We're maxed out and need more titles, as well as even housing achievements for increased thievery counts.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blame the life don’t blame Khajiit.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on August 11, 2020 6:15PM
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tammany wrote: »
    Stealing is already profitable, making 24k/day

24k is pushing it - No one has that amount of time to ONLY sell blue items. I have 2 maxed thieves and legerman characters and it is more like 20k a character and that is about 1 -1.5 hours of pocket farming and destroying white items.

The original poster makes a great point in that pickpocketing is very time consuming and little reward. I can easily get a lockpicks and 1. guarantee a blue or green item 2. get 117 gold a chest at a lockchest spawn point.

So why even bother picking pockets when it is more time efficient , profitable, to pop chests instead of getting junk out of pockets.

Just an fyi you can get an addon to auto destroy stolen items below X value and X quality. I do it all the time so that I know all I'm grabbing is stuff that's worth something like recipes or 100g+ sellables.

If you're console then sorry.

As for the system itself I don't actually see any issue with it beyond 1 thing and that's just that I find it hilarious that I can go to "Nobles" and pickpocket white 40 gold items. It's a noble there isn't a chance in hell he's combing his hair with that common brush I just picked. The system really should have a method of determining minimum values for pickpocketing from NPCs of different social ranks ESPECIALLY crafters. It's silly to me that zone recipes don't have a slightly higher chance of being gotten from the zone NPC crafters.

At the end of the day if you don't like the system don't do it. There are people who find overland chest farming just as brain numbing and boring.
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that's the reason they inserted all those annoying items on dragon drops and such... Noone pickpockets anymore because it's pointless, time consuming, risky and not profitable. You're better off killing ranom mobs on the open world and making more money in the process.

Solution? Kill your inventory with annoying drops from bosses!
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for the system itself I don't actually see any issue with it beyond 1 thing and that's just that I find it hilarious that I can go to "Nobles" and pickpocket white 40 gold items. It's a noble there isn't a chance in hell he's combing his hair with that common brush I just picked.
    Aha, you fell for the oldest trick in the book! That noble had a fake purse in an obvious location where he keeps items of little value (like that common brush) so that pickpockets will grab those instead of getting the actual valuables that he keeps in a secret, more well-hidden purse!

That's my lore explanation for it anyway. People use decoy wallets IRL when they're going to be in places that are known for pickpockets, so why not in Tamriel?
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bounty is a problem? *scratches head* no guard can hold onto me long enough to even throw talons at me. :D With pick, pick, stab and prioritising Nobles, a high percentage of picks are blue and even purple. I also only get a bounty if I'm too lazy to wait for an npc to move off to a safer spot.

That being said, I don't steal for fence gold. I hit nobles for throne furnishing plans, priests for hourglass plans, vardenfell beggars and labourers for house motifs etc.

Yes, it would be nice if they dropped more interesting or valuable stuff but then, with a fully geared and levelled Kahjiit vampire, I, and others like me would get stupidly rich for very little effort.
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly agree with you op.
    Since Antiquities was introduced I realised how much more gold you cannget from treasues we scry....and you don't need to worry about bag space if you have a merchant, fencing the items etc. Antiquities makes me more easy gold than pickpocketing ever has and is less time consuming imo. Depends on the area you are scrying in but overall it makes me lots of gold.

I agree, pickpocketing has lost its appeal as a good maker.
    Edited by wishlist14 on August 11, 2020 9:58PM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stealing is already profitable, making 24k/day

24k is pushing it - No one has that amount of time to ONLY sell blue items. I have 2 maxed thieves and legerman characters and it is more like 20k a character and that is about 1 -1.5 hours of pocket farming and destroying white items.

The original poster makes a great point in that pickpocketing is very time consuming and little reward. I can easily get a lockpicks and 1. guarantee a blue or green item 2. get 117 gold a chest at a lockchest spawn point.

So why even bother picking pockets when it is more time efficient , profitable, to pop chests instead of getting junk out of pockets.

You need to target a better class of NPC. There is a circle in Wayrest where you can hit nobles and drunks. You can get drops from them that can be sold to other players for all kinds of gold.
    Any gold making activity can get monotonous or stale if you do it long enough. Pickpocketing is comparable to other types of activities for making gold. It is a good break from doing other things. If rewards were increased then players might feel compelled to pickpocket more than what is fun for them just for the reward.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've legitimately never done thieving because the archetype doesn't appeal to me.

But I do think that thieving could probably use some additions to its loot table. This could be something as straightforward as including a small chance for any motif in the game to drop from Pickpocketing attempts. And, of course, more Scrying leads should be available that way as well, preferably for thematic items that assist with Stealth gameplay.

The problem with the OP's suggestions though are that the restrictions on thieving are there for good reason: to discourage botting and the general exploitation of the thieving system. That's why you have the ceiling on fenced items as well as limitations placed on how lucrative it is as a farming tool.

Thievery and the DB should also have some active skills in their guild lines rather than only passives. I get why they did not do this at first (wanted to avoid "Pay to Win" cries since they're from DLCs) but we have the Psijic line now which sets the precedent that DLC guilds can have active abilities.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I do think that thieving could probably use some additions to its loot table. This could be something as straightforward as including a small chance for any motif in the game to drop from Pickpocketing attempts. And, of course, more Scrying leads should be available that way as well, preferably for thematic items that assist with Stealth gameplay.
    Now this is an excellent idea, and one that I can get behind.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • out51d3r
    out51d3r
    ✭✭✭✭

I make 24k per day. It takes me 45 minutes. 24k is what you get from selling greens with a bit of blues mixed in. It's not hard, and it doesn't take long. And it's also fun. Just destroy the whites, sell all the blues and greens,.

If I'm truly in a money making mood, I also do it on one of my alts for another 24k per day. That character is slightly slower at it, but still, it's 48k in less than 2 hours.

Edited by out51d3r on August 11, 2020 11:35PM
  • out51d3r
    out51d3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the meantime, I can do 24k in one morning, by either scrying or farming. 24k a day is ridiculous.

When people quote 24k in a day, it's the fence limit, NOT THE TIME TAKEN. My main takes 45 minutes to steal up 24k. My alt takes a little over an hour(for a second 24k). If it takes you all morning to scrye up 24k, THAT is ridiculous.

Only time I go over 1k bounty is when I'm playing sloppy/drunk/making tonnes of mistakes.
    Edited by out51d3r on August 11, 2020 11:40PM
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stealing in Vardenfell gets you things like motifs, human skulls, khajiit ponder spheres and gaming die. Plus wanted posters from guards so its profitable there. I wish it would be like that in other zones. i never get too much of a bounty but any good thief should have a stock pile of pardons
    Edited by volkeswagon on August 12, 2020 12:27AM
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stealing is already profitable, making 24k/day and never end with more than 700 bounty as a bosmer
    100 steal - 90 steal - BoW
    3/4 Light Fingers
    Maybe you have to try 4/4 out ?

That's not my idea of lucrative, it equates to 2 decent pieces of furniture or 4 crappy ones and some furniture is 100,000 +

I think before furnishing existed thieving was fine but now there is so much more to spend gold on and antiquities definitely helps. If you don't have much time then the return on thieving is pretty low. Better than nothing though.