The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stealing and pickpocketing are basically useless outside of doing the Thieves Guild questline IMO

Dovakhan
Dovakhan
✭✭✭
With so many other ways of making gold in-game (trading, farming sought-after items, scrying, even zombie killing...), I feel that stealing and pickpocketing are seriously underwhelmed right now.

Besides, no matter how good you're at pickpocketing, you ALWAYS end up with a substantial bounty at the end of the day. I've a Khajiit (+5% bonus), 3/4 Light Fingers, and I never pickpocket anything at less than 60% chance (and usually at 80% or more, plus green marker), and I've still racked up a bounty of 8k in my last pickpocketing spree attempt. Stealing should be a high-risk, high-reward activity, but there's a lot of risk involved, and very low reward, unless you go crazy farming counterfeit writs (killing dragons are a good source of them). And add to that the completely SENSELESS fence items limit, and the mostly useless fence bonuses from the Thieves Guild skill tree (from 4 to 25 extra gold per item after spending 4 SKILL POINTS on it, and that having in mind that blue items (the 25 ones) are very rare...wow, what a fortune :P).

IMO, they should do something to balance it out, idk, boost all of the stolen item's value, add chances for really valuable items (2k or so), boost A LOT the fence passives, add unique items avaliable only by stealing/pickpocketing, etc.
Edited by Dovakhan on August 11, 2020 11:23AM
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, man. That's your opinion.

My opinion is that you need to become a better thief.

The only time in my lawless career where I racked up a bounty of 8k was when I was killing people in plain sight to get the Mass Murderer achievement.

You need to work on your technique. :-)
    The Moot Councillor
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stealing is already profitable, making 24k/day and never end with more than 700 bounty as a bosmer
    100 steal - 90 steal - BoW
    3/4 Light Fingers
    Maybe you have to try 4/4 out ?
    Edited by Tammany on August 11, 2020 11:30AM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

The only time in my lawless career where I racked up a bounty of 8k was when I was killing people in plain sight to get the Mass Murderer achievement.

Yeah, and when an 80% green pickpocket attempt fails and gives you a 3-figures bounty, that's the player's fault as well, no? :P
    Tammany wrote: »
    Stealing is already profitable, making 24k/day and never end with more than 700 bounty as a bosmer

And how many 40-100-250 items do you have to steal for that?

In the meantime, I can do 24k in one morning, by either scrying or farming. 24k a day is ridiculous.

Besides, believe it or not, there are people who'd prefer doing something varied during his playing hours, and not to dedicate them all 100% to something concrete.

And I doubt that 1 extra skill point would make any substancial difference, much less in the mechanic as a whole.
    Edited by Dovakhan on August 11, 2020 11:32AM
  • MKintr
    MKintr
    ✭✭✭
    It's an old wisdom:
    Crime doesn't pay :D
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dovakhan wrote: »

Yeah, and when an 80% green pickpocket attempt fails and gives you a 3-figures bounty, that's the player's fault as well, no? :P

I usually get 92 gold bounty if I'm seen, so I'm not sure what's happening to you.

As for your reply to Tammamy, there are other things you can pickpocket, like motifs and furnishings/plans that are worth more than the standard fare.

And they are saying "a day" because there's a hard limit per character on how much you can fence. They can probably get that done in less time than several hours of scrying for blue 1000 items.

The thing is, it's comparable to other activities, so you can switch around to do what you feel like.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noone fencing white items for profit.
    Try a honest work, maybe stealing is not urs ?
  • Guthix_of_the_Green
    Stealing is already profitable, making 24k/day

24k is pushing it - No one has that amount of time to ONLY sell blue items. I have 2 maxed thieves and legerman characters and it is more like 20k a character and that is about 1 -1.5 hours of pocket farming and destroying white items.

The original poster makes a great point in that pickpocketing is very time consuming and little reward. I can easily get a lockpicks and 1. guarantee a blue or green item 2. get 117 gold a chest at a lockchest spawn point.

So why even bother picking pockets when it is more time efficient , profitable, to pop chests instead of getting junk out of pockets.

" The trees, the earth, the sky, the waters; All play their part upon this land. May Guthix bring you balance. "
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭

I usually get 92 gold bounty if I'm seen, so I'm not sure what's happening to you.

As for your reply to Tammamy, there are other things you can pickpocket, like motifs and furnishings/plans that are worth more than the standard fare.

And they are saying "a day" because there's a hard limit per character on how much you can fence. They can probably get that done in less time than several hours of scrying for blue 1000 items.

The thing is, it's comparable to other activities, so you can switch around to do what you feel like.

I don't remember now the exact bounty per getting caught, but anyway, they're so frequent that I wasn't that far away after all :P And besides, if you decide to "go careful" as you suggest, then you're lowering your cadence even more. But of course, if you think that 24k per day is "a lot of money"...rofl, you better never discover scrying, or farming in Craglorn/Deshaan.

Also, I've pickpocketed for quite a long time, cos I was kinda hooked to it for a time, and I only got ONE or two purple items that I remember.

As per the hard limit you mention, my words exactly :P
    Noone fencing white items for profit.
    Try a honest work, maybe stealing is not urs ?

Then you're losing even more time per attempt. And yes, I also had the habit of dropping white items, for your info :P
    Edited by Dovakhan on August 11, 2020 11:45AM
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭

24k is pushing it - No one has that amount of time to ONLY sell blue items

How hard is it to calculate that ONLY BLUE items will cost much higher than 24k ?
    Iam stealing green/blues in between RDF ques, and its usually 22-24k per day.

You should know how to steal and where to steal, robbing beggars wont bring you fast moneys.
    Pickpocketing is fine, it should not be the most profitable money sorce when every casual player able to hop on khajit nightblade and do the stuff.
    Edited by Tammany on August 11, 2020 12:25PM
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember now the exact bounty per getting caught, but anyway, they're so frequent that I wasn't that far away after all :P And besides, if you decide to "go careful" as you suggest, then you're lowering your cadence even more. But of course, if you think that 24k per day is "a lot of money"...rofl, you better never discover scrying, or farming in Craglorn/Deshaan.

Also, I've pickpocketed for quite a long time, cos I was kinda hooked to it for a time, and I only got ONE or two purple items that I remember.

As per the hard limit you mention, my words exactly :P

I'm level 10 in scrying. But I don't do activities for money. I do them because they are interesting to me. I have enough gold.

I pickpocketed a lot in Morrowind to get the house motif pages. I had a pretty good rotation there where I could pick-pick-stab NPCs and they'd be respawned by the time I got back to them. I'd usually get a motif page in 20 minutes or so.

Right now, I'm working on lockboxes because they drop the lead for the music box, as well as looking for other leads that I haven't got yet. But outside of leveling alts, I would not spend time just scrying vendorable items. That would get boring real fast.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭

24k is pushing it - No one has that amount of time to ONLY sell blue items

How hard is it to calculate that ONLY BLUE items will cost much higher than 24k ?
    Iam stealing green/blues in between RDF ques, and its usually 22-24k per day.

You should know how to steal and where to steal, robbing beggars wont bring you fast moneys.
    Pickpocketing is fine, it should not be the most profitable money sorce when every casual player able to hop on khajit nightblade and do the stuff.

And how often do you get BLUE ITEMS by pickpocketing?

I usually steal everybody without distinction mostly cos I've inventory capacity to spare, and after a full raid, I'm lucky if I've one or two of them.

In the meantime, you can have the same 250 items (plus one 1000 one) in less than 5 minutes of scrying.

Also, I love people who thinks that 24k per day is A LOT OF MONEY OLOLO, and thus acting like if they're such elites. So I suggest you drop the attitude already before you get into evidence even more.
    Edited by Dovakhan on August 11, 2020 11:56AM
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    How can pickpocketing possibly be a high-reward activity? Do you expect all that average citizens' pockets stuffed with gold bars and ancient artefacts during their everyday routine? Most street thieves simply do it so they can have something to eat at the end of the day. ;)
    Edited by Sheridan on August 11, 2020 11:56AM
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only pickpocket in Vvardenfell, that way there's a chance of getting the motifs to sell, although they've dropped in price quite a bit. I've very rarely got a blue or purple furnishing plan and have never got any of the bounty sheets etc. I have a specific route I take and know which NPCs I can pick/pick/stab without getting spotted, but there's always a chance of failure (I've failed on 100% before, lag?). I also only sell blue items, I trash everything else (unless it's an alt that I'm levelling).

If you run low on counterfeit pardon edicts, I find just running the 'covetess countess' quest from the tip board over and over is useful for getting those, then you've also got the chance to get the Abah's watch motif.

I am disappointed that there were no scrying leads added to pickpocketing, and I'd like to see more added to the loot table overall, some new motifs or something. It isn't the fastest way of making gold, so I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it B)
    PC EU & NA
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Sheridan wrote: »
    How can pickpocketing possibly be a high-reward activity? Do you expect all that average citizens' pockets stuffed with gold bars and ancient artefacts during their everyday routine? Most street thieves simply do it so they can have something to eat at the end of the day. ;)

If we go that "realism" way, we should also ban any character from carrying fountains and stone walls weighting a ton around while sprinting at 200% speed :P
    Edited by Dovakhan on August 11, 2020 11:59AM
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (..) no matter how good you're at pickpocketing, you ALWAYS end up with a substantial bounty at the end of the day. I've a Khajiit (+5% bonus), 3/4 Light Fingers, and I never pickpocket anything at less than 60% chance (and usually at 80% or more, plus green marker), and I've still racked up a bounty of 8k in my last pickpocketing spree attempt (...)

Pickpocketing n stealing are very profitable if you know where/who to pickpocket.

All my legerdemain/TG/DB passives are maxed on my main char, a DK, so I don't get caught easily. Bounties are kinda low and go away pretty fast if I ever get caught. And I never use any sets for decreasing radius detection or increase stealth.

Advise: level up all your passives related the mentioned skill lines, even the ones you might think are "useless"
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to have a route where I'm pickpocketing the same type of NPCs, that way at least some of the items stack up. I only pick up the green and blue items, so its fairly lucrative by the end.

Sure, I make more gold farming Craglorn, but sometimes its fun to play around on my Master Thief and Silencer. Pick, pick stab! Hail Sithis!
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    (..) no matter how good you're at pickpocketing, you ALWAYS end up with a substantial bounty at the end of the day. I've a Khajiit (+5% bonus), 3/4 Light Fingers, and I never pickpocket anything at less than 60% chance (and usually at 80% or more, plus green marker), and I've still racked up a bounty of 8k in my last pickpocketing spree attempt (...)

Pickpocketing n stealing are very profitable if you know where/who to pickpocket.

All my legerdemain/TG/DB passives are maxed on my main char, a DK, so I don't get caught easily. Bounties are kinda low and go away pretty fast if I ever get caught. And I never use any sets for decreasing radius detection or increase stealth.

Advise: level up all your passives related the mentioned skill lines, even the ones you might think are "useless"

Good for you. Go make your "24k in a day". I'll make 200k+ in about the same time.

Truth is, unless you're a dedicated RPer or you're kinda in the mood for pickpocketing, you mostly steal for gold or profit. And as much as I like stealing myself and have in fact a dedicated infiltrator char, most of the times I find myself thinking "What for, if I can just do about 20 other activities that brings me way more gold with way less trouble?"

THAT'S why I think that it's seriously underwhelming. No interesting rewards whatsoever. No motivation to do so.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pickpocketing can't be too good otherwise we will have constant wipeout of NPC nad that's not fun and immersive to see ocean of dead bodies in cities all the time :D
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, I love people who thinks that 24k per day is A LOT OF MONEY OLOLO
    Where did i say that a lot of moneys ?
    I said it might be profitable if you know where and how to steal, as for my example these 24k per day are PROFITABLE FOR ME because i steal inbetween RDF/BG ques in casual mode and browse internet till NPCs are spawning.
    Today is 29k + motif, not bad.
    hH0S1C9.png
    So I suggest you
    Once i need a suggestion from a 8k bounty complaining dud ill whisper you, promise.
    Edited by Tammany on August 11, 2020 12:37PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently finished off the Felonious Recompense for the Purple Dye. I pick pocketed 300,000 in items in 15 evenings and never racked up more than a few hundred in total bounty, and that was the few times i got caught. And i was killing every NPC i stole from, so they would reset faster. BTW, each session was about 20/25 minutes to do.

Learn to Play.

ZOS does not need to make the game easier for you to steal. It is easy enough already. If more gold payoff is what you seek, pick another activity that pays more. Or has less risk.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me the advantage of stealing as a way of making money is that it's really simple to get started. You can do it in almost any settlement for as long as you like (until you reach the fence limit anyway) and you don't need to level up, train skill lines, get the right equipment, find a group or any of that. (The skill line and knowing good locations helps, but it's not essential to make a profit.)

It might not be the most profitable farm in the game, but if you're new or normally avoid farming because you find it boring so you don't have a dedicated build or know good spots but then as a one-off you want to get gold faster it's something you can start doing immediately on any character (or as many characters as you have time for) and apart from the fence limit you can spend however long you want on it and you'll get something.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I love people who thinks that 24k per day is A LOT OF MONEY OLOLO
    Where did i say that a lot of moneys ?
    I said it might be profitable if you know where and how to steal, as for my example these 24k per day are PROFITABLE FOR ME because i steal inbetween RDF/BG ques in casual mode and browse internet till NPCs are spawning.
    Today is 29k + motif, not bad.
    hH0S1C9.png
    So I suggest you
    Once i need a suggestion from a 8k bounty complaining dud ill whisper you, promise.

I care a crap that they're profitable FOR YOU and that you do in between quests. You can say exactly the same about a bunch of other activities, especially gathering.

Also, thank you for expecting me to be stupid enough to bite the bait of you bragging about something that you get extremely once in a while, mr. 24k elite. You clearly need no suggestions from anybody. But I'll have to remember to brag like that every time I find a motif somewhere while questing or so.

Enjoy your 24k's. Zenimax clearly isn't gonna improve this outdated and lackluster system thanks to the likes of you. Fortunately, not like I especially care, because fortunately it isn't even my thief-like char's main role.
    Edited by Dovakhan on August 11, 2020 12:58PM
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a certain church in Daggerfall where you can rob and murder on a set circuit that by the time you finish you can start again without detection if you're good enough; you can get several days worth of fencing goods in an hour.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3/4 Light Fingers
    Maybe you have to try 4/4 out ?

Remember when bosmers were good at stealth? 😞
  • Sindala
    Sindala
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well i don't do PvP or trials or belong to a guild so no guild trading either....

I find the Thieves Guild to be a fun way to make some extra gold, also strangely satisfying when i get to pocket dip that NPC that's been shadowing a Guard for half an hour.
    And as always it would be rude not to follow up a successful dip with a little stab stab too for a double win :D
    Being First is not the prize, it just mean's everyone can stab you in the back.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    get better at stealing. if you're committed, you shouldn't be getting bounties often.
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    It bought me bouldertree refuge when I was just a young and po' Bosmer pre-guild trading millionaire.

It had its rewards and glad I made an effort.
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I steal stuff because I like it.. In the end, some day, it will unlock the achievements that allow me to buy some cool furniture for my house too
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Goes on a robbery spree with his Nord DK in heavy armour.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I doubt that 1 extra skill point would make any substancial difference, much less in the mechanic as a whole.
    With 4/4 skill points I'm usually pickpocketing at a 100% chance as long as I wait for it to go green (and if you don't wait for it to go green, you're doing it wrong). A 100% chance means 0% chance of getting that bounty you're complaining about (assuming you're not pickpocketing in plain sight of other NPCs... You're not doing that are you?). No risk, all reward.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)