The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Urgent! Nerf at Roll Dogde! Balancing between Stamina and Magicka characters in PVP

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find this thread odd since Magicka can cast shields that negate pretty much all damage until the shield is used up, then can cast the shield again.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thegreatme wrote: »
    There's a reason every stam player uses it...

Except not every stam player uses Two-Handed lol

Yes, the other half uses flurry and good ol spin2win :)

But seriuosly, increasing base roll dodge cost is the worst thing you could do to "help" magicka. Instead it would be nice to ha ve this:
    Psijic guild passives should just add an option to allow roll dodge to consume magicka like a "misty step"[...]

I've been asking for being able to roll dodge with magicka since ages. But this idea is even better, ZOS could add cool animation, something like this and suddenly magicka is awesome again:
    jZmWV4.gif

Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let's see how stamina players use magicka and magicka players use stamina

Stam: Use mag for utility skills
    Mag: Use stam to block and roll dodge
    Also Stam: Use stam to block, roll dodge, and do damage
    Meanwhile mag: Have an entire mag pool just for doing damage

I have 1.5k stam recovery on my magsorc and a 17k stam pool. I can roll every 3-4 seconds and never run out of stam. I'd argue that when magicka classes spec into stamina, they'd be just as effective.

Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StaticWave wrote: »

I have 1.5k stam recovery on my magsorc and a 17k stam pool. I can roll every 3-4 seconds and never run out of stam. I'd argue that when magicka classes spec into stamina, they'd be just as effective.

And pls tell me how much magicka regen and in general how big is your magicka pool on your stam toons?
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Stamina benefits from a 15% cost reduction to their skills (base values, as compared to what would be considered balanced without this argument). ZOS' reasoning behind this is that stamina players have to use their main stat pool also for rolls, blocking, and break free. In practice, in PvP, this supposed disatvantage is more like an advantage.

The cost reduction was decreased from 20% to 15% a few years ago. IMO, it should be removed completely. Stamina players could still go for crazy weapon damage, but at a higher opportunity cost.

If you go for roll dodge directly, its gonna be like
    Astrid wrote: »
    >Roll dodge is too harsh on mag characters.
    >Increase the cost of roll dodge
    >?????

But its true tho, stamina users do have to use their main stat for block, dodge ,break free.

The difference is, magica has to build for some stamina (10k-15k in no CP) and stamina regeneration, or they will die from not being able to break the second or third CC in a fight.

Stamina can build for more magica and regeneration if they want to use a broader range of class skills, but they have options to go "full stamina".

I'm not saying neglecting magica on stamina toons is the best way to build, but IMO, the generic 15% cost reduction for stamina skills is not balanced.

Very few people go full stamina or magicka because everyone needs skills from the other bar to use. Going full stam as nightblade means you don't have enough magicka for cloak, you can only do 1 cloak and 1 shadow image or 1 shadow image and 1 teleport. Same thing goes for stamDk, warden,...etc. magicka is only limited us stamina on dodge roll, vlock or sprint.

15% stamina regen is totaly balance considering the fact that most actions like slotted skills and dodge roll, block, and sptring cost stamina where as magicka only affect slottedd skills.

Please remind me, if both specs use both their resource pools to the fullest, why again is there a 15% cost reduction for stamina skills? It's not that I don't get where the argument for cheaper stam skills comes from, it's more that I think it's not matching the reality in (no CP) PvP.

15% cost reduction is a lot, comparable to two five-piece set boni.

Lets say you have 2k stamina regen. 1 sec of block/dode can cost you extra 2k stamina just for not getting the regen tick. This effect can add up in fight.

Not convinced yet, blocking is not exclusive to stamina toons. Missing stamina regeneration ticks during block should be balanced with block cost, not broad cost reductions.

To be fair, there is not much you can say to change my mind. I thought a lot about it over the years, and found no argument that really warrants a strong generic cost reduction of stamina skills. This is based on personal observations how mag/stam chars build in no CP PvP.

As stam DK for example, I have to block which cost stamina and heal vigor which cost stamina and maybe sometimes do damage with noxous or claws which also cost stamina and maybe I yse obsidoun shield or coagulaing blood for extra heals, now as you can see, most of what have been used is stamina based, this shreds someones stamina pool if they don't have the cost reduction. On the other hand, magDK is also in melee and use block which cost stamina and heals with muten or any magicka heals(I don't think there would be magicka spec ever uses vigor) and then use shields if they want or go offensive with fiery breath, claws, whips...etc. most of the skills used cost magicka. Say if both mag and stam DK block and heal for 1-2 secs, stamDK will be using more stamina than magDk, somewhere around double if both are being attacked. You can only notic this point if you block with Ice staff while your block cost magicka instead of stamina on magicka spec.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »

And pls tell me how much magicka regen and in general how big is your magicka pool on your stam toons?

I have 15k magicka with 1k regen on my stamina sorcerer. I alway try to have more than 13k magicka on all my stamina classes, and somewhere around 800 magicka regen. Stamina sorceter is my only exception because I need to cast dark deal a lot.
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭

Similar to you, I also build for stam sustain on mag characters as I feel its necessary, and aim for similar values to what you have.

However, with regard to your analysis of how characters use resources: you've left out that mag players also have utility skills, which generally cost magicka. So magicka players have to use magicka not just entirely for dealing damage but also for their utility skills, which is quite similar to stamina players using stamina not just for dealing damage, but also for roll dodge and block.

So I would say that magicka and stamina use their main and off stats in similar ways and with similar degrees of importance, but stamina gets a cost reduction anyway.

The clearest thing to me that indicates that there is an imbalance here is that there is another very obvious imbalance that counteracts it (at least for PvE), which is the existence of magickasteal but not staminasteal.
    Given that there is no staminasteal, one would naturally assume that stamina characters would have significantly more issues sustaining compared to magicka characters in PvE, where the uptime on magickasteal is high. But this is not the case, as magicka and stamina builds still come out relatively equal in terms of sustain PvE.
    This indicates to me that stamina naturally have much better sustain (from this cost reduction) which gets counteracted by the existence of magickasteal.
    Even the value returned by magickasteal per second (300) is very close to the amount of cost reduction you get on a stamina spammable (difference of 2700-2295 = 405 but then reduced by armour passives).
    This is all well and good for PvE, where uptime of magickasteal is high and often supplied by other players, but this isn't necessarily the case in PvP, where you would have to sacrifice a bar slot and a gcd to get it.

Do I think the cost reduction should be changed? I am not convinced this is the best solution, as then something would have to be done for PvE like the creation of staminasteal which would just take us further down the path to homogenisation of magicka/stamina. But I do think that there is a bit of imbalance that exists in PvP due to this which requires magicka builds to build more for their offstat than stamina builds, and it would be good if some other solution to address this could be found.

To a degree I think ZOS recognise this as there are some melee magicka skills, for example veiled strike/concealed weapon, that also got the cost reduction in recent updates. In a way this logic (melee skills getting the cost reduction) makes sense to me as a better reason for skills to get cost reduction, as being in melee means you are more likely to need to roll/block than if you are at range. So maybe a continuation/expansion of this strategy could work.

As to the OPs original suggestion - I don't think roll dodge needs such a cost increase, and if anything such an increase would actually have a worse effect on magicka players than stamina.

Edited by ExistingRug61 on July 21, 2020 7:04AM
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 15k magicka with 1k regen on my stamina sorcerer. I alway try to have more than 13k magicka on all my stamina classes, and somewhere around 800 magicka regen. Stamina sorceter is my only exception because I need to cast dark deal a lot.

Then you just answered your self. Magicka toons HAVE to build for stamina sustain and lose on their main offensive & defensive stat, while stamina toons CAN build for magicka, and even when they do they spare much less resources on it. Stamina toons can focus on their primary stats while completly ignoring magicka (except of stamblades and stamsorcs - but this is not a MUST, they are just better with more magicka) and on top of that they have 15% lower cost on all of their skills.

There are some archaic beliefs in this game inherited after times, when stamina had no class skills, no alliance war skills, no weapon ultimates, no stamina based heals. These times are gone, stamina excells in every aspect of PvP and we need some changes but not the ones like proposed by OP. We need magicka roll dodge or 3rd stat pool designed for block, roll dodge and break free.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

• visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think roll doge needs a nerf, as a defense mechanism it is fine as it is. Increasing roll dodge costs only punishes players with low stamina pools, that is magicka players.

What should be changed imo is the cp bonus to roll dodge via 120cp in Atronach, gaining tactician. The Atronach is a constellation into which magicka and stamina players both have to invest for damage, but its highest reward massively favors stamina players. That is bad game design. Also, with sets like Stuhn's which build upon off-balance for higher damage, roll dodge is one of only two game mechanism that gives you a 100% guarantee to off-balance your enemies and both are only resonably usable for stamina players. (Whereas Stuhns claims to be a hybrid set, haha.)

I would, btw, say exactly the same if the Tacitican would cast off-balance on enemies that hit your shields. Bad game design is bad game design, no matter which side it favors.
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I find this thread odd since Magicka can cast shields that negate pretty much all damage until the shield is used up, then can cast the shield again.

And still have enough stamina to do a roll dodge in between too.
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wish my stam could roll dodge as mindlessly as many magsorcs do it. Playing noCP you have access to only about twice as much stamina as many magicka builds while being required to spend it on healing and damaging (two things that together cost more per minute than defensive blocking, dodging and breaking free)

This thread is like from 2015.
    Edited by SodanTok on July 21, 2020 2:33PM
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This makes no sense to me, and I love playing Mag. You can shield stack, overheal much easier, have range, and still work in dodges on Mag
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have 17k magicka and 1.2k regen on my stamsorc because streak costs a lot
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    * Quitelty whispers: *

Psst. Hey. You. Yes, you... don't tell it anyone... Use AOE... when someone is roll-dodging too much. Trust me, you will get nice salty massages from them... problem solved ! Now I have to go. You have not seen me...

Great idea ground target aoe easy avoidable by same roll and do so low damage that can be outhealed by Vigor, besides didn't Shuffle have Major Evasion, decreasing damage from area attacks by 25% for 20 seconds as well as s immunity to snares and immobilizations?

How about buff to Lightning Staff final damage tick instead?
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    * Quitelty whispers: *

Psst. Hey. You. Yes, you... don't tell it anyone... Use AOE... when someone is roll-dodging too much. Trust me, you will get nice salty massages from them... problem solved ! Now I have to go. You have not seen me...

Great idea ground target aoe easy avoidable by same roll and do so low damage that can be outhealed by Vigor, besides didn't Shuffle have Major Evasion, decreasing damage from area attacks by 25% for 20 seconds as well as s immunity to snares and immobilizations?

How about buff to Lightning Staff final damage tick instead?

Really? lol no. You know at some point skill has to come into play when PvPing, why increase the damage of a heavy attack that's already strong? Use off-balance properly and no one can prevent being stunned while rolling from destro heavy, so why buff it?
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccfeeling wrote: »
    Do it in pvp, just dont touch pve, ty

They could add the roll dodge nerf to battle spirit or something. Roll dodging is essential in many PVE trials and dungeons. Nerfing it in PVE would only make the content harder and more frustrating.. Everybody wants balance, Maybe they need to start treating PVP and PVE as two separate games and stop the cycle of "fix one thing, break something else".
  • Trueblue
    Trueblue
    ✭✭
    Ok, nerf to roll/dodge BUT nerf too cost of shield for Magica, Sorc can have almost 100% uptime shield when stamina player cannot... for my Bow Ganker you can nerf this, much more magica player will die becaus they cannot dodge/roll :)
  • thegreatme
    thegreatme
    ✭✭✭✭
    Derp, it wasn't literal, but go into bgs, there's never not at least one dizzy spammer in all my matches.

There's never not a magplar jab spammer that gap-closes, stuns, knocks down, and attack-heals either which frankly is 10x more annoying than any Dizzy Swing spammer I've ever gone up against so if you're trying to make it a stam vs magicka debate what's your point?
    Join my Nocturnal-devoted Mercenary Reach guild! https://esokrakeclan.weebly.com/
    My Artstation | Deviantart | Youtube | Furaffinity

Thank You ZoS!:
    ◙ Blackfeather Court banker/merchant
    ◙ Gloam Indrik
    ◙ Re-release Gloam Wolf Mount

Let's See It Happen ZoS:
    ◙ /honorloop emote
    ◙ cross-legged sitting emote
    ◙ Evergloam house
    ◙ Hagraven Polymorph
    ◙ Hagraven Houseguest
  • nublife01
    nublife01
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

magicka classes are in a good spot right now.

the game is actually very balanced more so than I think it has ever been.

[snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on July 23, 2020 3:50PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

And still have enough stamina to do a roll dodge in between too.

Very true. Since magical has fabulous shields and can still roll dodge a time or two they are in a good place. The suggestion in this thread would not bring balance between stam and mag builds as suggested but actually destroy it.
    Edited by idk on July 23, 2020 4:33PM
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thegreatme wrote: »
    Derp, it wasn't literal, but go into bgs, there's never not at least one dizzy spammer in all my matches.

There's never not a magplar jab spammer that gap-closes, stuns, knocks down, and attack-heals either which frankly is 10x more annoying than any Dizzy Swing spammer I've ever gone up against so if you're trying to make it a stam vs magicka debate what's your point?

Maybe read it again and you'll see my point?
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is bad suggestion