The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

The game freeze and I can't do anything on my PC

Serkuos
Serkuos
✭✭✭
Hello,

I don't know if it's a known bug, but many times, while I play ESO, (especially when I play in Battlegrounds, to be honest), my game freeze, and then I can't do anything on my PC. My PC still work, like vocal chat like discord etc work fine, but I can't do anything. Alt + tab show the alt + tab interface, but can't change the window, same thing with "Windows key + tab"... The game just freeze, I can't change of window by any mean I know, and I'm forced to restart my PC(and, of course, it leave the battleground and everything). It happens really frequently recently, and it's really, really bothering. And it doesn't happen in any other game than ESO. My PC is a gaming laptop, 8Go RAM, GTX 1050, I can't run ESO in Ultra without having really slow FPS but I run it in High and it works fine, even If my FPS aren't that high.

Please, somebody, help me, I can't play properly with this. Not anymore.
  • Serkuos
    Serkuos
    ✭✭✭
    Ok it happens every day, I can't even play almost a single one Battleground without the game freezing, requiring me to restart my computer. Please, I can't play like that anymore.
  • Serkuos
    Serkuos
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I can't do a single PVP fight in my house without the game freezing. Honestly, I'm desperate.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_AntonioP @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Anyone please?

I'm really desperate. I don't know what to do anymore...
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    On laptops with multiple video cards crashes can sometimes be a result of ESO not using the more powerful card on the PC. Our FAQ below goes over the settings on a laptop to ensure you are maximizing performance.

What do I do if ESO is having performance issues on my laptop?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Oakenaxe
    Oakenaxe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Serkuos , I am having the exact same problem as you! My PC freezes and I'm forced to reset on the tower; the keyboard appears to go off too. I even found this thread from 2008 reporting the exact same thing: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/401537/issues-with-game-freezing-on-windows-10
    Not sure if they were able to solve it, I sent a message to the person who posted.

I'll update my windows now to see if it will change anything.
    Things I tried that didn't solve:

- Repairing the game
    - Updating NVIDIA drivers
    a.k.a. Leo
    non-native English speaker
    200-300 ping and low fps player
  • GenaiDoma
    GenaiDoma
    Soul Shriven
    This happens to me anytime a monster casts a spell with a ground effect. I notice it in maelstrom arena on the first round when the boss casts a spell that has skeleton hands coming out of the ground. every time he casts it my PC freezes completely. It also happened in the Labrynthian public dungeon on one of the bosses that casts the same spell. it seems to just be that one spell.

Edit: I tried disabling all my add ons to see if it helped but it did not. Also my wife has the exact same PC setup hardware and drivers and she does not have this problem on her machine.
    Edit 2: I tried lowering some graphics settings and turning off SSAO and that allowed me to get to the last round of the arena. Now it keeps freezing before i can kill the last boss. Tried turning off anti aliasing but that didnt help. I dont know what else i can turn off.
    Edit 3: I have turned the graphics settings as low as they will go and disabled everything. I have disabled any other graphics devices on my PC and all extra sound devices. I deleted the shader.cache.cooked file or whatever its called. The game still freezes but now its when the final boss casts the spell that sends a blue flaming skull at me. It freezes every time he casts that spell. I am pretty sure this started with the recent "performance" update they did that ruined the games servers for a few weeks lol.
    Edited by GenaiDoma on July 12, 2020 5:37AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @GenaiDoma

If only one specific spell effect in game is leading to your crashes while playing, you should submit a bug report ticket here so it can be investigated.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post