The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Has anyone gotten "St. Alessia, Paravant"? (Found it)

• RemanCyrodiil_I
    RemanCyrodiil_I
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    Different furnishings are like different sets. What you are saying is "Why are you upset that you should do master writs to get BIS sets? There are plenty sets in the dungeons. Those sets are worse, but you should deal with it."

We all like different furnishings so there's nothing BiS. ZOS does what it wants based on what it believes to be best - we can adapt to their changes in direction or miss out on content that the silent majority of players will happily just get on with. They won't not do content out of principle. I think I'll just conclude with this similar thread containing people less polite than I am.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/531141/yeah-no-zos-i-asked-you-what-you-think-is-so-much-fun-about-pressing-one-button-for-hours/p1
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StevenIV wrote: »
    We all like different furnishings so there's nothing BiS.
    BiS furnishings are furnishings that are best appropriate to the concept of the house.That means the BiS furnishings are different for different players, not that there are no BiS furnishings. And that means that those furnishings should be accessible by doing any type of content.
    ZOS does what it wants based on what it believes to be best - we can adapt to their changes in direction or miss out on content that the silent majority of players will happily just get on with. They won't not do content out of principle.
    I have no information about reasons of the silent majority. What is known is that a part of silent majority does content for rewards and stops when there are no rewards (looking at MYM). What is the size of this part compared to the whole silent majority (and how much it changes depending on rewards) only ZOS knows.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that Housing is one of the core aspects of the game, the Homestead was released the same way as Orsinium. In addition to the activity locks like pvp or trial we also have a pay to win aspect with crown-only furnishings, so it is understandable that when in addition to huge monetary investments we are expected to engage in some other modes that we don't like, we are not amused.
    That is true. But core or no, housing has a far smaller community than PvP and end-game PvE. The more overlap with those the better, as it'll mean more furnishings . When adding content ZOS will always try to provide for as many people as possible.
    That makes no sense. Locking furnishings behind PvP does the opposite.

There are people who like PvP, there are people who like housing; there are people who like both. Locking furniture behind PvP excludes people who like housing and only appeals to people who like PvP and housing both. Similarly, adding a furnishing to PvP adds nothing to people who enjoy PvP but aren't interested in housing. So rather than creating more overlap and more furnishings, ZOS just alienate whole parts of their demographic.

Because let's be honest, why would a player who likes both PvP and housing insist that a furnishing come from PvP? When the vast majority of furnishings don't and it still doesn't stop them from enjoying those (and indeed those allow many other players to enjoy them too)? They don't PvP for the furnishing, they PvP because they enjoy it.

And no, any argument towards 'prestige' or 'earning' furnishings as a proud reward (e.g. BG achievement furniture) that would try to justify gating these behind PvP is immediately invalid due to the totally random arbitrary RNG-ness of the drops. There is nothing prestigious in getting getting a low-drop rate statue lead from the first daily BG box your character ever did. Just like I've gotten 4 wasted copies of the Malacath's Ring Mythic fragment in Bethnikh while farming a Drum furnishing lead.

Leads (or furnishings) should have just been tradeable. Simple as that. Because there is no point in creating this wasteful situation that involves the tedious grinding of hated game modes due to luck, with no skill involved whatsoever (and yes that includes the other complaint threads you mentioned like mas-Fishing for Mythics).
  • RemanCyrodiil_I
    RemanCyrodiil_I
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always recognised the trivial and grindy nature of these new antiquities, I suppose I just don't feel the need to fuss about it in an MMO, a gaming category renowned for grind. What I objected to is the idea that grinding in PvP is somehow more outrageous than grinding PvE content. If the housing community is truly a core part of the game and on par with PvP and PvE and therefore deserving of the same attention, then it should also not be treated differently.

Let's not forget that both PvE and PvP requires grinding to have fun where it could take one run or 50 to get a certain dungeon item, and that PvPers have to do PvE content to gear up, and PvEers will have to enter PvP zones for PvE content in the Imperial City, and for Cyrodiil skyshards, delves, fishing etc.

Also best to not forget that the vast majority of furnishings will remain accessible through easy PvE. The notion that having a few new furnishings locked behind PvP is somehow outrageous just boggles me.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also best to not forget that the vast majority of furnishings will remain accessible through easy PvE. The notion that having a few new furnishings locked behind PvP is somehow outrageous just boggles me.
    You can replace set X with set Y and lose some percent of DPS, that does not really matter for most activities (especially for skillful player), but even when it matters, both sets are about DPS and comparable.

You can't replace statue of Alessia (for example) with the statue of Guar (for example). They are not comparable at all. Sure, if we could get medium statue of Alessia from one source and bigger statue of Alessia from another source, then locking that bigger statue behind activity that is not wanted will be not such a big deal. It would be possible to work with lesser furnishings the same way it is possible to play with less DPS.
    one mer to find them,
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The notion that having a few new furnishings locked behind PvP is somehow outrageous just boggles me.
    It's like telling little Maggie that she can play with her doll-house only after beating the other kids into submission in the mudpit of the toddler fight club. :smiley: Totally illogical and pointless.

To tie furnishing items for one of the most peaceful and casual singleplayer gameplays, already locked behind a totally singleplayer casual Antiquities system, to the actually most unforgiving most aggressive and most toxic game type? Let's not pretend that a PvPer hacking away at brainded AI, or PvEers picking up some Skyshards is on the same level.

Why create problems, when they would be so easy to avoid? People suggested plenty of QoL improvements on the PTS (such as tradeable Leads or furniture just like the Motifs are tradeable) and as usual were ignored. I've been doing the daily BG with no lead drop at all, and it only inspires hatred for the game and players as a whole. :lol: The sheer frustration that ESO forces into the game unecessarily really goes a long way to erode player goodwill. It's goodwill that would keep players going through content draughts and when the grinding gets stale, but ZOS often try to make their game as unpleasant and frustrating as possible sometimes. And I'm not just talking about the gating of furnishings, but in general, such as many of the issues you listed too.
  • RemanCyrodiil_I
    RemanCyrodiil_I
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't replace statue of Alessia (for example) with the statue of Guar (for example). They are not comparable at all.

Yes, but now we're really just getting off track and getting into the business model used by ZOS - which is about how to make MMO content last as long as possible.

We of course see what you mention with superior and inferior versions of items with crown store exclusives, which is the same premise of some being prepared to do certain things for furnishings where others might refuse. You can buy a Dibella statue the size of a house or get a tiny model. They of course won't do that for every item as that would come at the expense of development time for different furnishings.

The antiquity system was clearly designed to have some grind to make the content last longer, and you achieve that even more by spreading it out across the entire game to ensure you aren't getting a bunch of the new content by total accident. I don't think it's surprising in an MMO and so I don't think ZOS cares about complaints about it. They obviously consider it economically necessary for the longevity of the housing community, and they're still releasing new furnishings for crowns, gold, writs and achievements. Now they're adding some exclusively behind PvP and PvE grind.

Not a big deal. Obviously it'd be just grand to get quickly get every item from the sources we prefer for minimum effort on our parts, but they do things for a reason. Might be greed due to a desire to do the bare minimum, might be necessity from people not buying enough crown furnishings to cover the effort needed to make them. Complaining on the forum about MMO grind won't turn any heads.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if we get items quickly, actual decorating houses will take months, so I don't see why there needs to be some other way "to make MMO content last as long as possible". It is not like we decorate some Hunding's Palatial Hall with the same time spent as doing a vet dungeon and need a reason to return again and again.

Edit: And you are comparing the incomparable. Tiny Dibella statuette can't replace big statue, and big statue can't replace tiny statuette. They are used for different purposes in different context.
    Edited by Olauron on June 4, 2020 7:36PM
    one mer to find them,
  • RemanCyrodiil_I
    RemanCyrodiil_I
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but with the exception of a few dlc related antiquities and furnishings we'll get with the Q4 dlc, we won't get the sort of huge furnishing drop like we just received until next year's chapter.

Personally, despite the 'grind' I have already received most of the furnishings I was really looking forward after a week, and I am already thinking forward to what I'd like to see added to my existing houses. Just as I am not totally representative of housing, not everyone has a spring clean every few months and starts over, and ZOS certainly won't move heaven and earth to help either group do that when there are far more pressing issues facing the future of the game than a handful of antiquities being put in Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds. We'll have to wait our turn and suffer the grind like everyone else.
  • RemanCyrodiil_I
    RemanCyrodiil_I
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    Why create problems, when they would be so easy to avoid? People suggested plenty of QoL improvements on the PTS (such as tradeable Leads or furniture just like the Motifs are tradeable) and as usual were ignored. I've been doing the daily BG with no lead drop at all, and it only inspires hatred for the game and players as a whole. :lol: The sheer frustration that ESO forces into the game unecessarily really goes a long way to erode player goodwill. It's goodwill that would keep players going through content draughts and when the grinding gets stale, but ZOS often try to make their game as unpleasant and frustrating as possible sometimes. And I'm not just talking about the gating of furnishings, but in general, such as many of the issues you listed too.

Typical PvP bashing and PvE entitlement won't make the Devs listen. I've had my forum account since 2014 and I've only just started using it, and already I can recognise what an echo chamber the forums are. No wonder people were so blunt and rude in the thread I copied in, or why ZOS has started to ignore the forums in general. I think I will go back to doing so too and just crack on with what I've got in peace.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You strictly PvE guys can just pick a low pop PvP campaign (or go no cp, no one wants that) and get what you want in Cyrodiil and probably not even see another player. You get so comfy in your no death play - so what if your character gets killed anyway. What’s the big deal?

PvP guys have to grind for their monster sets in vet dungeons too, just like PvE players.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get so comfy in your no death play - so what if your character gets killed anyway. What’s the big deal?

PvP guys have to grind for their monster sets in vet dungeons too, just like PvE players.
    What is the big deal? Death is not a problem in PVE, because death blocks nothing in PVE. You simply revive at the same place and keep doing what you were doing (or even skip this place in ghost form). Death in PVE will make you spend 10 seconds and this is it.
    In PVP death means preventing doing what you were doing. You need to waste many minutes to ride to the place you want to get and you have no guarantee that this new spending of the time will be not wasted by another death.
    As you can see, in PVE death doesn't block you progress. In PVP death blocks progress, and it may block progress indefinitely. This is inappropriate from the point of time management.
    one mer to find them,
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You get so comfy in your no death play - so what if your character gets killed anyway. What’s the big deal?

What is the big deal? Death is not a problem in PVE, because death blocks nothing in PVE. You simply revive at the same place and keep doing what you were doing (or even skip this place in ghost form). Death in PVE will make you spend 10 seconds and this is it.
    In PVP death means preventing doing what you were doing. You need to waste many minutes to ride to the place you want to get and you have no guarantee that this new spending of the time will be not wasted by another death.
    As you can see, in PVE death doesn't block you progress. In PVP death blocks progress, and it may block progress indefinitely. This is inappropriate from the point of time management.

That’s why you do a low pop campaign. I cleared all of the delves in Cyrodiil solo with a PvE build and got the skyshards too. That took me a day or so. What was stopping me from succeeding? Nothing - I died a few times because the map was not favorable to my faction. I have a fully upgraded horse, just a minor setback.

EDIT:

I even managed to get the four skyshards behind the other factions gates. There is no more difficult achievement than that in PvP. I am proud of that, but my point is not just boasting. Getting one antiquity is surely much, much easier. If you really want it, it can be done.
    Edited by katanagirl1 on June 6, 2020 5:20AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I even managed to get the four skyshards behind the other factions gates. There is no more difficult achievement than that in PvP. I am proud of that, but my point is not just boasting. Getting one antiquity is surely much, much easier.
    Well, it surely isn't easier. Getting those skyshards is very easy, since they are in a fixed spot, they are a guaranteed skyshard point, and you can sneak your way there if you are on a map that happens to fulfil certain conditions (open gates) entirely independently from your contribution or activity on the map. There are faaaar worse PvP achievements, like Grand Relic Guardian (also has some furnishings locked behind it) or Grand Overlord of course.

The Alessia statue in particular is entirely random, low-drop-chance RNG (based on how few people report to have it, and how it didn't drop for me either even after doing the BG daily every day, sometimes on 3 characters). And it doesn't come from a fixed spot, or one that involves you sneaking to interact with an object; it comes from bags awarded for victory, and from bags that you get for reaching point thresholds in your own PvP performance. So, it's really not the same.

If the Lead came from fixed locations like 'Chest in cyrodiil' or 'complete 5 BGs achi' it would still have been bad, but not nearly as bad as having to repeatedly grind BGs to victory while it may not even drop due to its low droprate.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s why you do a low pop campaign. I cleared all of the delves in Cyrodiil solo with a PvE build and got the skyshards too. That took me a day or so. What was stopping me from succeeding? Nothing - I died a few times because the map was not favorable to my faction. I have a fully upgraded horse, just a minor setback.
    So your choice was to put yourself in a dependant position, to look for low pop campaign, to depend on what other players do and what they allow you to do. I don't agree with this. If some activity puts you into dependant position, ignore this activity.
    If you really want it, it can be done.
    "If you really want it, you will do anything and suffer anything?" Sorry, I consider it wrong mentality. This is a game. There is nothing in a game that you can really want, there is nothing in a game that can make you suffer doing content you don't like. When developer creates such situation, the right choice is to explain that it is a provocation and don't follow this provocation.
    one mer to find them,
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

With this thread derailing a bit from the original subject, we're going to go ahead and close it down. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and on-topic to avoid thread derailment.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.