The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Character stopping when using certain skills

Kheops
Kheops
✭✭
It may be due to high ping but have any ESO devs commented on when doing some skills like Wall of Elements of Breath of Life, the character stops for a second. The only way to stop this seems to be by jumping or not moving your mouse the slightest bit. I may be getting this due to my high ping because it doesn't seem to happen to streamers i'v had a look at but when a build has many of these skills it makes the combat unplayable.

This is an example of one of the skills with Malevolent Offering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KeCC3JPrI
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    it is an old problem that players have already told them so many times. they wont listen bud
  • Kheops
    Kheops
    ✭✭
    Have the devs ever actually commented on it? I'm really over trying to find builds that have the least amount of them skills as possible, especially when so many have it now. Recently they changed Living Trellis and now that also has it
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kheops wrote: »
    Have the devs ever actually commented on it? I'm really over trying to find builds that have the least amount of them skills as possible, especially when so many have it now. Recently they changed Living Trellis and now that also has it

yes, its all part of the many maint that they are doing. They applied a hotfix for now and it "should" help but yea, they have mentioned it along with other issues and the lag....meaning, they are on it. ;)
  • Kheops
    Kheops
    ✭✭
    What hotfix? This issue has been around for years now. Also when have they mentioned it?
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely HATE this damn bug. Any conal skill (none ult) seems to do it.

Arrow Spray feels awful to weave. Cleave, same thing. Barbed Trap alwas stunts my movement too. The list goes on and on, but those are the most notable for me.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What hotfix? This issue has been around for years now. Also when have they mentioned it?

I don't know what they're talking about. I haven't seen ZOS mention this bug at all, it's been in the game since I started playing on ps4 regularly.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Kheops
    Kheops
    ✭✭
    It never used to be like this, I remember breath of life and wall of elements definitely didn't have it.
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still getting the slight pause when using the following skills: Render Flesh (+ morphs) and Life Amid Death(+ morphs). So freaking annoying.
    It breaks the smoothness of the game.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old bug for sure, from what I remember it is due to the vertical and Los checks with conal type abilities. Jump cast conal abilties if you want to avoid the possible stuttering issue.

Funny thing to note if you happen to roll dodge cancel a conal abiltiy when this stutter bug happens you will roll backwards (If you are using the roll dodge key instead of double tap)

Common abilities: Breath of life, bombard, shrooms, dawnbreaker, etc
    Edited by MincVinyl on June 2, 2020 5:34AM
  • Kheops
    Kheops
    ✭✭
    Yeah jumping works but when you want to use cleave or something you don't want to be jumping when your just spamming.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah jumping works but when you want to use cleave or something you don't want to be jumping when your just spamming.

Yeah there can be downsides, like if you are planning on using master 2h to brawler spam a group of players. If you are out numbered it would be better if you were able to change your aiming direction and movement direction at any given moment(which you cant do if you jump to avoid the stutter bug). I would recommend just dealing with the stutter bug during those instances, and using the jump trick if you need to cast while running away or guarantee movement/cast in a certain direction.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MincVinyl wrote: »
    Old bug for sure, from what I remember it is due to the vertical and Los checks with conal type abilities. Jump cast conal abilties if you want to avoid the possible stuttering issue.

Funny thing to note if you happen to roll dodge cancel a conal abiltiy when this stutter bug happens you will roll backwards (If you are using the roll dodge key instead of double tap)

Common abilities: Breath of life, bombard, shrooms, dawnbreaker, etc

Last night I experienced it on volley. It's broken into other abilities now, your right though, I notice it mostly on conal abilities.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

• peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does this come with any kind of ability effect delay, or is that coincidental / a different issue?

I've noticed large delays with Breath of Life and Combat Prayer recently, to the point of extreme annoyance and such that I've had to rely on Orbs for healing when normally I could swap in shards, and am wondering if it's related.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bug has always existed in eso but the worsening game performance (especially over the past few years) has made it exponentially worse. Used to not be a big deal and only really affected PvP in prime time.

ZOS knows and they likely have no plans to address the issue. We’ve reported this for a very long time.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    This bug has always existed in eso but the worsening game performance (especially over the past few years) has made it exponentially worse. Used to not be a big deal and only really affected PvP in prime time.

ZOS knows and they likely have no plans to address the issue. We’ve reported this for a very long time.

In such a fast paced game, you think this would be priority numero UNO. This issue can be mitigated by jump casting, however, this is extremely taxing for people who play with controllers. Your thumb is usually used for the right joy stick and your first 3 skills, to rotate a jump -> aim -> skill is complicated AF.

I mean, how hard could it actually be to take these skills out, click it, and figure out why they stop your players movement. Like really. This is a day one programming troubleshooting issue. While they spend time breaking the servers with Block fixations and cast time on ultimates, the game becomes increasingly harder to play by simple stuff like this.

Beta testers for other games would get this fixed within a day. I have a beta tester friend on Gears 5 and he's told me how things work over there. It's actually extremely quick. The amount of bugs that get reported and the turn around time is extremely quick, so i refuse to think they "can't" fix it. It's a matter of they simply don't care to fix it..

Years. C'mon ZOS.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

• MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

In such a fast paced game, you think this would be priority numero UNO. This issue can be mitigated by jump casting, however, this is extremely taxing for people who play with controllers. Your thumb is usually used for the right joy stick and your first 3 skills, to rotate a jump -> aim -> skill is complicated AF.

I mean, how hard could it actually be to take these skills out, click it, and figure out why they stop your players movement. Like really. This is a day one programming troubleshooting issue. While they spend time breaking the servers with Block fixations and cast time on ultimates, the game becomes increasingly harder to play by simple stuff like this.

Beta testers for other games would get this fixed within a day. I have a beta tester friend on Gears 5 and he's told me how things work over there. It's actually extremely quick. The amount of bugs that get reported and the turn around time is extremely quick, so i refuse to think they "can't" fix it. It's a matter of they simply don't care to fix it..

Years. C'mon ZOS.

I think the problem is the team is so small with no funding from the parent company to allow them to make necessary changes. Zos is most likely barely staying afloat with eso, and it is unlikely that anyone would ever invest in the game any further.