Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Extremely poor physical Collector's Edition statue quality

GothamHunter
GothamHunter
✭✭✭
To preface, I have purchased every single one of ESO's physical collector editions, including the original Imperial Edition (still bummed that steelbook is G1 instead of G2 btw), and was saddened that Elsweyr had no physical collector's edition. So when Greymoor had a physical CE, I jumped on it immediately.

I honestly cannot believe how poor in quality the statue is. I'm not talking about the material; I don't get overly picky about it being plastic, resin, or metal as long as it looks good. I'm talking about how it looks like it received about 3 seconds of some brass spray paint after being 3D-printed and was then shipped off. Look at these photos I quickly took; how in the world could QC at Bethesda sign off on this? Does this look like something you'd want to display among the other statues?

I hope Bethesda offers some feedback on this. Honestly it's embarrassing and prompts me to reconsider the purchases in the future and just buy the steel-books second hand.
F1VOuaz.jpg
IbaGSsT.jpg
EzLrIjz.jpg

• Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it could be better. It does look different on the promo pic.
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looks like my unpainted Warhammer miniatures...
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They made a statement in the last ESO live event. The design of the statue was intended to look like something you might dig up in the new archeaology system.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks fine to me? What's wrong with it?
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zuboko wrote: »
    They made a statement in the last ESO live event. The design of the statue was intended to look like something you might dig up in the new archeaology system.

And the statue ended up looking like something you might dig up in a rubbish bin.
  • dhboy123
    dhboy123
    ✭✭✭✭

Lol, what an excuse.
  • Sibenice
    Sibenice
    ✭✭✭✭

But instead it looks like an unpainted figure you'd see at your local game shop.
  • RavenLake
    RavenLake
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like an aged weathered statuette, as intended. If you wanted a $300 dollar statue, then you bought the wrong one.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It seems those statues haven't all received the same amount of care. I've seen many videos and photos, and they all look different. Look at your statue's abs, for example. They're barely painted, if at all, right? In other photos, the "valley" parts are painted to accentuate the sixpack.
    And no, the pandemic is no excuse, nor is the "antiquity style". You do not come into contact with other people while airbrushing. And if your vision of a paint style means reducing the visual quality, it's a bad idea and should be scrapped.
  • DreamsUnderStars
    DreamsUnderStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "So when Greymoor had a physical CE, I jumped on it immediately."

With all those pointy bits I sure hope you didn't jump on it. Ouch.

Also be glad (I guess) they didn't pull the Fallout 76 bull *** by sending you a statue made out of foam lol.
    Edited by DreamsUnderStars on May 27, 2020 7:18PM
  • Greystag
    Greystag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    It seems those statues haven't all received the same amount of care. I've seen many videos and photos, and they all look different. Look at your statue's abs, for example. They're barely painted, if at all, right? In other photos, the "valley" parts are painted to accentuate the sixpack.
    And no, the pandemic is no excuse, nor is the "antiquity style". You do not come into contact with other people while airbrushing. And if your vision of a paint style means reducing the visual quality, it's a bad idea and should be scrapped.

ESO did an unboxing and his has way less paint than OP's. He's also going to paint it since he paints minifigures.

I feel like the "dug up" excuse is just not viable and I don't believe it. If they were actually going for that look and tried, they just did a very poor job at it. Especially after the promotional picture. I personally would paint mine too and wouldn't be as bothered but that doesn't make any of this acceptable.

I guess you can either place it down next to the Nuka-Dark Rum bottle on your shelf or throw it into your Fallout duffel bag and forget about it.
    | PC / EU |
    | Aspen Greystag, Khajiit Warden, Frosty boi |
    | Healer, Tank, Damage dealer |
    | CP: 1800 |
    | Guilds: Officer at Meridia's Light |
  • 16BitForestCat
    16BitForestCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, what makes it look like an unpainted 3D-printed figure rather than an ancient artifact is the lack of weathered physical texturing. If it's something that you could've excavated from the dirt and it's supposed to look so worn and old that the paint is nearly gone, why is it so smooth all over? Shouldn't it have some natural-looking wear and tear, some pitting?

Compare it to the Mephala and Dwemer Colussus statues that came respectively with Morrowind and Summerset. The texturing on those makes them look far more like unearthed ancient artifacts than this statue. Mephala especially. I wish I could post a close-up side-by-side comparison photo, but I'm not at home now.

I still think the statue is really cool. I just don't think it has the look the designers were going for. It definitely looks like the cheapest model when I stand it up next to my other two statues.

We actually have two of these because multiple people play ESO in this house, so two of us each ordered the physical Collector's Edition. (I didn't get mine for the statue; I actually got it for the other stuff it came with. The statue was just a nice bonus for me!) Both of our statues have the unnaturally smooth 3D print product look with a minor touch of paint.
    Edited by 16BitForestCat on May 27, 2020 7:16PM
    PC/NA. Alliance agnostic: all factions suck and should go touch grass together.
    If you ever wonder why certain official fandom spaces are so often toxic, remember: corruption starts from the top.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Greystag wrote: »

ESO did an unboxing and his has way less paint than OP's. He's also going to paint it since he paints minifigures.

I feel like the "dug up" excuse is just not viable and I don't believe it. If they were actually going for that look and tried, they just did a very poor job at it. Especially after the promotional picture. I personally would paint mine too and wouldn't be as bothered but that doesn't make any of this acceptable.

I guess you can either place it down next to the Nuka-Dark Rum bottle on your shelf or throw it into your Fallout duffel bag and forget about it.

ESO almost broke his fingers trying to unpack the coins... x'D
    I'll just put the health-threatening Power Armor helmet above the statue. Maybe the mold will make it look truly antique.
  • GothamHunter
    GothamHunter
    ✭✭✭

Maybe if it looked dirty then, but it doesn't even look like that. It just looks unpainted.
  • GothamHunter
    GothamHunter
    ✭✭✭
    RavenLake wrote: »
    It looks like an aged weathered statuette, as intended. If you wanted a $300 dollar statue, then you bought the wrong one.

No it doesn't, and that's not what I expected. I expected one with quality at least close to the previous ones I have.
  • Flamingfunk
    Flamingfunk
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it's missing many color and weathering washes.
    This looks worse than an unpainted statuette would.
  • xF1REFL1x
    xF1REFL1x
    ✭✭✭
    lol... I would definitely have to paint over this.
  • evoprimes
    evoprimes
    ✭✭✭
    To preface, I have purchased every single one of ESO's physical collector editions, including the original Imperial Edition (still bummed that steelbook is G1 instead of G2 btw), and was saddened that Elsweyr had no physical collector's edition. So when Greymoor had a physical CE, I jumped on it immediately.

I honestly cannot believe how poor in quality the statue is. I'm not talking about the material; I don't get overly picky about it being plastic, resin, or metal as long as it looks good. I'm talking about how it looks like it received about 3 seconds of some brass spray paint after being 3D-printed and was then shipped off. Look at these photos I quickly took; how in the world could QC at Bethesda sign off on this? Does this look like something you'd want to display among the other statues?

I hope Bethesda offers some feedback on this. Honestly it's embarrassing and prompts me to reconsider the purchases in the future and just buy the steel-books second hand.
    F1VOuaz.jpg
    IbaGSsT.jpg
    EzLrIjz.jpg

Damn, this statue looks like Cyro performance.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, my statue just arrived. XBox version, so consoles should be getting the CE in time.
    My statue is... fine. Really. It loosely resembles the promo pic, but is notably brighter. It is, however, definitely not as abhorrent as on some pics we've seen on the forums.
    Some parts do look unfinished, however. The Lord itself has seen good care, but the base and blood magic parts are noticeably washed out and should have gotten another layer of paint.
    It really seems the statues didn't all get proper treatment or quality control. I'm happy I got one of the better ones and am okay with the price. But I'm also team Edward, so I'm more lenient. Collectors of all the collector's editions might ask why this one is more expensive with reduced quality, and that is a valid question.
    The coins are surprisingly nice, I must add!
  • GothamHunter
    GothamHunter
    ✭✭✭
    So, my statue just arrived. XBox version, so consoles should be getting the CE in time.
    My statue is... fine. Really. It loosely resembles the promo pic, but is notably brighter. It is, however, definitely not as abhorrent as on some pics we've seen on the forums.
    Some parts do look unfinished, however. The Lord itself has seen good care, but the base and blood magic parts are noticeably washed out and should have gotten another layer of paint.
    It really seems the statues didn't all get proper treatment or quality control. I'm happy I got one of the better ones and am okay with the price. But I'm also team Edward, so I'm more lenient. Collectors of all the collector's editions might ask why this one is more expensive with reduced quality, and that is a valid question.
    The coins are surprisingly nice, I must add!

@Lord-Otto Do you mind posting a photo? I'd be curious to see the difference
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lmao these people never surprise me there’s always another terrible mistake/decision being made and the community being fed whatever they can come up with.

It’s hard earned money that people pay for these things, it’s insulting imo...
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why I don't buy over priced CE gimmicks
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @GothamHunter
    I'm afraid I can't. I'm on my phone and the forum structure drives my head against the wall, sorry. (>.>) Maybe I'll try again tomorrow, when I have direct sunlight available.
    Edited by Lord-Otto on May 28, 2020 4:13PM
  • GothamHunter
    GothamHunter
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, don't have direct sunlight right now.

@Lord-Otto Can you see the difference in just normal room light? Don't need to post insta-worthy photos haha
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small print say's "Paint sold separately"
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least it accurately represent quality of new bloodscion in game. Exact same quality though this may be bit better.
    >>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I have never bought a physical collector's edition so I have never held one of the statues. From those images posted it reminds me of of a cheap souvenir shop statue due to the lack of detail.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, don't have direct sunlight right now.

@Lord-Otto Can you see the difference in just normal room light? Don't need to post insta-worthy photos haha

Yeah, room is well-lit, the sun is just on the other side of the building (evening here). I held it into the last ray I could find and it's okay, really. It's definitely not turquoise.
  • Blacknight841
    Blacknight841
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget that this collectors edition was actually more expensive than the previous collectors editions.
  • GothamHunter
    GothamHunter
    ✭✭✭
    @Lord-Otto Any chance for a photo?