Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I am the thief they are looking for?

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I just finished liberating Velyn Harbor and click the wrong thing when turning in daily crafting quests.

The guard tells me "You are the thief we have been looking for."

Can I please kill this idiot guard? Or at least get them exiled someplace with a bad location?

I do hate that it is so easy to accidentally steal when turning in crafting dailies. Someone setup the scam!
PC
PS4/PS5
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you are on pc, there is an addon called lacy writ crafter it has a option to not be able to steal stuff while having the quests for writs
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    if you are on pc, there is an addon called lacy writ crafter it has a option to not be able to steal stuff while having the quests for writs

Unfortunately not. That functionality should be part of the game, especially the "don't steal when turning in writs".

That would be a trivial fix. Either remove the items that can be looted around those turnins or make them normal lootable items rather than ones that set your "you just stole" flag.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • mavfin
    mavfin
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can set the game (no addon) to not auto-loot stolen items. That will help. I haven't accidentally stolen anything in a long time.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just finished liberating Velyn Harbor and click the wrong thing when turning in daily crafting quests.

Can I please kill this idiot guard? Or at least get them exiled someplace with a bad location?

I do hate that it is so easy to accidentally steal when turning in crafting dailies. Someone setup the scam!

Do you know how long they had been looking for you? And then you strolled right into their waiting arms! :D

Once I apparently had a small bounty for something or other but didn't realize it, and I walked right into a guard in Ald'ruhn. But my bounty must have decreased to 0 just as the guard was accosting me, because he said something about being unable to find any reason why I should be wanted, then apologized and let me go.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    What I hate is when your just standing there, looking at your inventory and your weapon randomly goes off. A friendly npc just happens to be in the line of fire!😑
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cooking fire in Rimmen, completing provisioning writ. There is a stew on the fire and I accidentally grab that instead of crafting my food. Wouldn’t be such a big deal if I didn’t have about a dozen thieves troves worth of stolen items on me already. Too many guards to run though to turn in writs. Port to house and switch to other character to do crafting and wait out the bounty.
  • LanteanPegasus
    LanteanPegasus
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... I do hate that it is so easy to accidentally steal when turning in crafting dailies. Someone setup the scam!

I used to craft in Vivec (nowadays it's usually Rimmen, because the setting is so much nicer).

There you have what I lovingly called the "City Guard Retirement Donation Axe". Or maybe it's a hammer. Doesn't matter. There are one or two weapons leaning directly against the turn-in crates. If you pick those up by clicking E to use the crate you steal them.

My story goes like this:
    Guards are a proud people. They love their work, they are proud of what they do, and they don't want to look weak or needy. But eventually they get that arrow to the knee, or just get too old for all that gruesome work of picking up bodies and hunting criminals through the streets. But they can't just go and beg. And they sure as hell don't get much of a pension.
    So they put up that donation weapon. In plain sight, right in front of everybodys eyes. Impossible to take it without everyone noticing. By picking it up you signal your willingness to donate some gold for all those veterans that need the money. And their dignity is kept by declaring the act a "theft", and the donation a "fine". You donate, they get their pension, the donation weapon is put back against the crate, and everyone walks away happy.

Well, except when you picked up the donation axe by sheer stupidity, and the guards are forced to notice your actual stolen goods while collecting the donation fine. Then they have to act in an upstanding manner and do their job, confiscating stolen goods, setting a bounty, running after you and so on. You really shouldn't do that to them !!!

Edit: Thinking about it... Maybe the meal on the cooking fire in Rimmen is a similar thing that enables the innkeeper there to hire that amazing bard every day. If so I should pick it up daily from now on - she's marvellous !
    Edited by LanteanPegasus on May 23, 2020 11:16PM
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mavfin wrote: »
    You can set the game (no addon) to not auto-loot stolen items. That will help. I haven't accidentally stolen anything in a long time.

That only works with stuff that is in containers, items out in the open that give you no loot option that your character just picks up in one click tends to be the main problem.

I screwed up awhile ago in Sentinel at one of the guild traders, accidentally stole something off the stand when interacting with the guild vendor, thought to myself only a little fine will ignore it let my thieves guild passives make it go away, proceeded to browse the trader.

While in the trader interface a guard found me, for what ever reason game would not let me leave the trader window, guard killed me after the time to respond/pay fine expired.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit: Thinking about it... Maybe the meal on the cooking fire in Rimmen is a similar thing that enables the innkeeper there to hire that amazing bard every day. If so I should pick it up daily from now on - she's marvellous !

I heard the innkeeper doesn’t pay enough, but think of all the exposure this bard is getting! 😆
    Edited by Everest_Lionheart on May 24, 2020 1:04AM
  • KaGaOri
    KaGaOri
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... I do hate that it is so easy to accidentally steal when turning in crafting dailies. Someone setup the scam!

I used to craft in Vivec (nowadays it's usually Rimmen, because the setting is so much nicer).

There you have what I lovingly called the "City Guard Retirement Donation Axe". Or maybe it's a hammer. Doesn't matter. There are one or two weapons leaning directly against the turn-in crates. If you pick those up by clicking E to use the crate you steal them.

My story goes like this:
    Guards are a proud people. They love their work, they are proud of what they do, and they don't want to look weak or needy. But eventually they get that arrow to the knee, or just get too old for all that gruesome work of picking up bodies and hunting criminals through the streets. But they can't just go and beg. And they sure as hell don't get much of a pension.
    So they put up that donation weapon. In plain sight, right in front of everybodys eyes. Impossible to take it without everyone noticing. By picking it up you signal your willingness to donate some gold for all those veterans that need the money. And their dignity is kept by declaring the act a "theft", and the donation a "fine". You donate, they get their pension, the donation weapon is put back against the crate, and everyone walks away happy.

Well, except when you picked up the donation axe by sheer stupidity, and the guards are forced to notice your actual stolen goods while collecting the donation fine. Then they have to act in an upstanding manner and do their job, confiscating stolen goods, setting a bounty, running after you and so on. You really shouldn't do that to them !!!

I hate that battle axe in Vivec so much :s ! Well, at least my character is getting regular bath almost after each round of writs. Sometimes it's gone already though. Probably someone else wished to donate to the guards' veteran fund for once.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought you were a thief for merely looking into a container with stolen items.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cooking fire in Rimmen, completing provisioning writ. There is a stew on the fire and I accidentally grab that instead of crafting my food. Wouldn’t be such a big deal if I didn’t have about a dozen thieves troves worth of stolen items on me already.

You could very easily avoid that problem if you'd stop stealing my troves.
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm feeling a meme coming on:

Let me guess, someone stole your sweet roll?

I guess this is funnier for me because despite playing with a controller, I've never had this happen. This of course means that it will happen today, since I'm bragging about it, but...
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm feeling a meme coming on:

Let me guess, someone stole your sweet roll?

I guess this is funnier for me because despite playing with a controller, I've never had this happen. This of course means that it will happen today, since I'm bragging about it, but...

I jump more often than I steal though. That’s the controller life for you!
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

he-is-the-chosen-one-59662480.png
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they want to decorate the area, they should make the items permanent fixtures that simply cannot be taken at all.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am definitely convinced vendors and turn-in spots have some code to move right before I click at times....
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's especially dumb to have things on a vendor's counter be stealable but set off alarms if you don't loot it. If I'm at a store and I pick something up to give it a closer look, no one screams at me that I'm a thief, because picking things up to look at them in a store is what normal people do while shopping. You should have to actually loot it to set off the thief alarm.
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I think it's especially dumb to have things on a vendor's counter be stealable but set off alarms if you don't loot it. If I'm at a store and I pick something up to give it a closer look, no one screams at me that I'm a thief, because picking things up to look at them in a store is what normal people do while shopping. You should have to actually loot it to set off the thief alarm.

This code that would have to be added to all items just laying around, flagged as owned or not. Imagine the outrage from the "zerg it" community if they have to stop to loot everything they try to pick up.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This code that would have to be added to all items just laying around, flagged as owned or not. Imagine the outrage from the "zerg it" community if they have to stop to loot everything they try to pick up.

It’s funky how it behaves. I’m on XB1 and have auto loot turned on but auto loot stolen items turned off in my options. If I accidentally click a container with a stolen item I’ll get a second prompt even if there is a single item which I can cancel. If it’s a single item on a table my character pockets the item right away.

Now of course the prompt reads “Steal” but here is the other quirk. It’s always grey at first and there is a delay before turning red. The word steal is still written though but that delay in flagging the item to red has likely caused more than a few fellow hoarders a problem. Of course after a couple months of hoarding everything you find you don’t need to loot anything anymore, but there is a chance you may find a good motif in a backpack or box so you do it anyway!

I’m good for an accidental case of sticky fingers at least once per week. Usually because I’m not paying attention. Have to stop crafting at 2:30 in the morning, that would probably fix it!
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s funky how it behaves. I’m on XB1 and have auto loot turned on but auto loot stolen items turned off in my options. If I accidentally click a container with a stolen item I’ll get a second prompt even if there is a single item which I can cancel. If it’s a single item on a table my character pockets the item right away.

Now of course the prompt reads “Steal” but here is the other quirk. It’s always grey at first and there is a delay before turning red. The word steal is still written though but that delay in flagging the item to red has likely caused more than a few fellow hoarders a problem. Of course after a couple months of hoarding everything you find you don’t need to loot anything anymore, but there is a chance you may find a good motif in a backpack or box so you do it anyway!

I’m good for an accidental case of sticky fingers at least once per week. Usually because I’m not paying attention. Have to stop crafting at 2:30 in the morning, that would probably fix it!

I'm starting to get twitchy thinking about pickpocketing with the loot code on it... Nocturnal already hates me enough, based on all the 95% chances I can fail on a given day.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm starting to get twitchy thinking about pickpocketing with the loot code on it... Nocturnal already hates me enough, based on all the 95% chances I can fail on a given day.

When I’m actually trying my 85% = 50% and my 65% = 90%

It’s the weirdest thing. But hey if it means better loot, than by all means I am not gonna argue.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is still so annoying in Velyn Harbor when this happens right after I liberated it!
    PC
    PS4/PS5