The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Roaring Opportunist, Alkosh, and the gear from Halls of Fabrication: A look at effect efficiency

• FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    While you bring up a few really interesting points I can certainly agree with, I don't think reducing the number of affected players is to only way of making it viable for damage dealers. I think the major problem is that the set currently doesn't benefit from being worn by a damage dealer, while potentially benefiting from being worn by a healer, due to inefficient build requirements and a scaling with Jorvuld's Guidance. Since we already have more then eight viable support sets in most situations, two for each of the four tanks and healers, we need to sacrifice something in order to use roaring opportunist. However, given how strong the set is for a group and how weak for the wearer it is a pretty easy choice. If RO would lose it's scaling with support roles and instead offer something interesting to a DD wearing it, it would in my opinion be enough to make this set viable for both support roles and damage dealers.

Edit: Now that I thought about it a bit more, I think the best change would actually be to reduce the number of affected players, while otherwise giving the set better stats.
    Edited by FakeFox on May 1, 2020 5:23PM
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Excelsus
    Excelsus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make RO a magica Relequin, stack freezing cold on an enemy. Matches Skyrim, gives magdps a worthy set and we're overdue for a frost damage set anyway. Lets throw those magdens a bone.

[Edit to remove inappropriate content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on May 1, 2020 7:45PM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For Roaring Opportunist, maybe drop the 96k heavy attack requirement, make it a flat 8 seconds for everybody, but double the length of Major Slayer for the wearer? You no longer require a clunky MagDK inferno staff heavy build. Any Magicka DPS build will do. And with double Major Slayer length, you will be disinclined to waste that on a healer.
  • Deloth_Vyrr
    Deloth_Vyrr
    ✭✭✭
    This set is all kinds of lost in its current form.
    Having the duration scaling on heavy attack damage nerfs this set for Lightning Staff users for no reason. Making it a raid wide buff with a long CD shoehorns it into a support role. Please just give Magdps a solid, reliable selfish dps set for once.

Make it only affect the caster, get rid of the scaling duration and get rid of the internal CD.

(5 items) Dealing damage with a Fully-Charged Heavy Attack grants you Major Slayer, increasing your damage done to Dungeon, Trial, and Arena Monsters by 15% for 10 seconds.

Done. Solid 5pc bonus for magdps.
    <Twin-Moons Covenant> PC NA
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Voice of Reason
    Shadow Breaker
    Flawless Conqueror
  • DovahkiinHeart
    DovahkiinHeart
    ✭✭✭
    How to make Twilight Remedy relevant again: swap minor force with Major slayer but take away HoT and cap to x amount of ppl. Keep cooldown.
    Edited by DovahkiinHeart on May 3, 2020 1:58AM
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How to make Twilight Remedy relevant again: swap minor force with Major slayer but take away HoT and cap to x amount of ppl. Keep cooldown.

The hot was actually useful back in the days of Twilight Remedy. Keep the hot, increase it's duration to 20 seconds (keep tick strength the same), swap Minor Force with Minor Heroism and increase it's duration to 20 seconds.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This set is all kinds of lost in its current form.
    Having the duration scaling on heavy attack damage nerfs this set for Lightning Staff users for no reason. Making it a raid wide buff with a long CD shoehorns it into a support role. Please just give Magdps a solid, reliable selfish dps set for once.

Make it only affect the caster, get rid of the scaling duration and get rid of the internal CD.

(5 items) Dealing damage with a Fully-Charged Heavy Attack or X amount of Light Attacks grants you Major Slayer, increasing your damage done to Dungeon, Trial, and Arena Monsters by 15% for 10 seconds.

Done. Solid 5pc bonus for magdps.

Fixed
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually yes. Why not make the condition different. The heavy attack proc condition was designed for the (silly and miserably failed) HA/LA experiment, and now that it's luckily dropped (here's hoping that development resources will now be spent on fixing bugs) it can be converted to something like "performing 8 light attacks within 10 seconds grants you..." instead. :)
  • DovahkiinHeart
    DovahkiinHeart
    ✭✭✭

The hot was actually useful back in the days of Twilight Remedy. Keep the hot, increase it's duration to 20 seconds (keep tick strength the same), swap Minor Force with Minor Heroism and increase it's duration to 20 seconds.

I actually agree with this. It's more fair
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would roaring opportunist work well on 2 heavy attack rotation pet sorc?
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

As it is Right now not so much since you Need to hit very high heavy attack Damage to get a high Duration and it doesnt Count the whole Lightning heavy afaik. You still get the base Duration but that isnt that high.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When I tried this (pts week 2) I got about 20% up time and I lost about 5k dps compared to running other sets on a 2ha pet sorc. You will indeed only hit the base duration with a lightning staff. Swapping to an inferno staff lost more dps but pushed the up time to 25%.

RO doesn’t work well on a static heavy attack rotation because it’s likely to proc outside of the off balance period. Better to save the heavy attacks for off balace only.
  • Hooded_1
    Hooded_1
    ✭✭✭
    Here’s how to make Roaring Opportunist a magicka DPS set: Make it a magicka version of Lokkestiiz. Simplest solution. I really don’t understand why ZOS didn’t just do this in the first place.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Truly baffling to not see this set addressed in the Week 3 notes.

Is this catastrophe actually going Live?
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should either make it a full on support set or if their decision for it to still be a damage dealing option it should actually do damage, let it be bis for heavy attacks by actually boosting your damage instead of a support or something so it's at least be closer to their intentions and will benefit some players that they intend to in recent "combat pre pts" disaster.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

As it is Right now not so much since you Need to hit very high heavy attack Damage to get a high Duration and it doesnt Count the whole Lightning heavy afaik. You still get the base Duration but that isnt that high.

Interesting. If that's the case could someone try it out with the Undaunted Infiltrator set on a Pet Sorc using a dynamic rotation?

I would but I'm on console and cannot test things on the PTR.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on May 6, 2020 7:18PM
  • Calypso589
    Calypso589
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping this because Jeeeezzzussss ZoS needs to know this is what needs to happen to RO.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I saw a thread that explained we don’t really have support roles in this game and a few changes could really fix that. Tank is a role. Healer is a role. Damage Dealer is a role. Support could be a role. Long as people could get over being a buff bit**.

I hadn’t really thought of it this way before, but it makes sense kind of.

In this very thread is a great idea to fix alkosh by having it scale from weapon damage like the DK skill that makes take more flame damage. That would make it fairly worthless on a tank and a decent stamina dps/support set.

That would be a huge change to the game. Ever since release, set bonuses have always been based off gear level and gear quality, never stats. "Make this set act like a skill," is a not a trivial request when sets, by design, have never acted like skills.

I agree, a set bonus that scales with damage stats would be strange (I don’t like the current form of RO either). However, if the devs wanted Alkosh to be used in a DPS build it could be allowed to crit. This would make it more powerful on a DPS than a tank, and bring its proc up to about 60% of the damage of Relequen at max stacks (it’s currently about 35% of Rele).
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

Interesting. If that's the case could someone try it out with the Undaunted Infiltrator set on a Pet Sorc using a dynamic rotation?

I would but I'm on console and cannot test things on the PTR.

@spartaxoxo That doesn’t work very well, you’d be looking at the minimum uptime of 5s/22s. This is because the set only counts the final tick of a Lightning Heavy attack when calculating duration, so really only Inferno Staves are viable with it. Also, to hit the damage threshold to get more than 5s of Slayer requires holding the Heavy Attack until the enemy is off-balance, so any build that uses heavy attacks in a rotation will end up wasting procs outside this OB window. It’s really a very poorly designed set.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WrathOfInnos

Aw, okay. Well thanks for checking a
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I alone in thinking it's not such a bad thing for a 5-piece bonus to be best used by one and only one DPS? I would be happy to have access to a set that a) adds most of its value by supporting other players b) is not usable on support roles c) requires me to play differently from standard dps.

Let's say to trigger major slayer for your group, you need to deal X damage within Y seconds. The details here don't matter: the point is tanks and healers should not be able to use this set because it keys off damage.

Damage-dealers would need to sacrifice some overall DPS for burst and would be encouraged to do different things at different times (burst when a good opportunity for group damage arises, overall dps at others, maybe focus more on low-health threats).

• YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I alone in thinking it's not such a bad thing for a 5-piece bonus to be best used by one and only one DPS? I would be happy to have access to a set that a) adds most of its value by supporting other players b) is not usable on support roles c) requires me to play differently from standard dps.

Let's say to trigger major slayer for your group, you need to deal X damage within Y seconds. The details here don't matter: the point is tanks and healers should not be able to use this set because it keys off damage.

Damage-dealers would need to sacrifice some overall DPS for burst and would be encouraged to do different things at different times (burst when a good opportunity for group damage arises, overall dps at others, maybe focus more on low-health threats).

That still leaves the fundamental problem of having an entire trial yielding a set that can only be used by one magDPS and leaving every other magDPS stuck in the same, boring rut of MS + FG.

Trials only get released once per year and magDPS already has to split its sets with healers, so going that route would still prove to be profoundly dissatisfying. Of course, so, too, is the current broken design of this set.

As I am fond of saying, magDPS simply cannot have nice things, it seems.
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭

That still leaves the fundamental problem of having an entire trial yielding a set that can only be used by one magDPS and leaving every other magDPS stuck in the same, boring rut of MS + FG.

Trials only get released once per year and magDPS already has to split its sets with healers, so going that route would still prove to be profoundly dissatisfying. Of course, so, too, is the current broken design of this set.

As I am fond of saying, magDPS simply cannot have nice things, it seems.

Yeah so I think there are two separate problems here. If there's only going to be one new set, it's a bad idea for it to be usable by just one DPS. But there are several dps sets that nobody uses dropping in trials alone, some mentioned in OP. In the broader game there are many usable-at-best sets that could be converted to damage-driven group support.

IMO the rut is another issue. Wearing a new trial set that adds 2k to your dps relative to the previous meta will not make combat feel fresh. Major Expedition aside, FG doesn't feel different from what came before it. Right now, if you want to be reasonably effective you have to keep juggling your rotation, only reacting to what's happening around you through shields/heals, blocking, movement, target prioritization and mech interactions. The promise of a set like RO or Alkosh is that it encourages you to play differently, but the execution is all wrong.

One way to achieve that is to have several ways for damage-dealers to contribute to completing content and to allow them to switch between these roles with relative ease by equipping different sets and skills. That would mean a well-rounded DPS is someone who can execute a high DPS rotation in one trial, then change their gear, skills, and play pattern to fill a damage-driven support role in another group.

Making each set have diminishing returns (1-4 users optimal) would encourage group diversity, especially if some sets are designed to be best exploited with specific power fantasies and play patterns.
    Edited by Recapitated on May 17, 2020 6:04PM
  • Calypso589
    Calypso589
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping this one as well.

It needs to be hammered home that these sets are not good.

At all.