The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Essentieal Housing Tools virus??

Thicclady
Thicclady
✭✭✭
I tried to install Essential Housing Tools Community Update exe file, and Kaspersky blocked it and actually restarted computer to delete it. Either it is virus or so bad programming that would not suggest anyone to use software like that on computer.

https://ibb.co/vmyLRCg
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It almost certainly isn't a virus, it'll just be your anti virus software not knowing the source of the application.
    The developer of the addon does work for ZOS as a user interface engineer, they aren't going to be trying to do anything malicious.
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • Thicclady
    Thicclady
    ✭✭✭
    CyberOnEso wrote: »
    just be your anti virus software not knowing the source of the application.

That is not the reason.

Kaspersky is one of the best antivirus software and you have to actually manage to do pretty bad coding to get it noticed as trojan even.
    Edited by Thicclady on May 2, 2020 12:08PM
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thicclady wrote: »

That is not the reason.

Kaspersky is one of the best antivirus software and you have to actually manage to do pretty bad coding to get it noticed as trojan even.

I had this issue and even sent a ticket to Kaspersky who said they had fixed it but it doesn't seem so, they had me send the files for analysis. I suggest contacting Kaspersky for your own peace of mind as you can't trust some random person on the internet and it might get them to fix it permanently.They did tell me it was safe though.
  • Thicclady
    Thicclady
    ✭✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »

That is not the reason.

I had this issue and even sent a ticket to Kaspersky who said they had fixed it but it doesn't seem so, they had me send the files for analysis. I suggest contacting Kaspersky for your own peace of mind as you can't trust some random person on the internet and it might get them to fix it permanently.They did tell me it was safe though.

Yes nice, I am kind of expecting to developer of addon to do something.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not the reason.

If that's what you expect, you should probably let the add-on author know. If you haven't done so, you should leave a comment on the download page or give feedback as instructed at the bottom of their ESO UI page: https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1959-EssentialHousingTools.html
  • Thicclady
    Thicclady
    ✭✭✭

That is not the reason.

If that's what you expect, you should probably let the add-on author know. If you haven't done so, you should leave a comment on the download page or give feedback as instructed at the bottom of their ESO UI page: https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1959-EssentialHousingTools.html

Yes I sent him private message before making this thread.
  • MilkJugg24
    MilkJugg24
    ✭✭
    Even the best anti-virus software applications end up with false-positives. When it comes to using 3rd-party software to enhance your experience, it is up to the end-user to choose whether or not you trust the developer of that software. I have been using add-ons and mods for games for countless games over the years, many of which triggered my anti-virus.

Even with my anti-virus going crazy over some of the files, I trusted the developers knowing the risk and added exceptions for them. I'm not making this decision for you. I am simply stating that just because a computer says something is bad, doesn't mean that the developer is out to get you. Given how ESO is a fairly mid-low population title, and home-building is a much less popular tool as opposed to something like Master Merchant, it might be a bit much to say that it is in fact malware.
    I play on PC NA! Currently looking for a casual dungeon and trial group/guild. If you want to talk, feel free to message me here or in-game to Pizza (Yes, I'm the original Pizza)
    Follow me on Twitter for video games and cats. I also casually stream on Twitch!
  • Thicclady
    Thicclady
    ✭✭✭
    [/quote]
    MilkJugg24 wrote: »
    Even the best anti-virus software applications end up with false-positives.
    Even with my anti-virus going crazy over some of the files, I trusted the developers knowing the risk and added exceptions for them. I'm not making this decision for you. I am simply stating that just because a computer says something is bad, doesn't mean that the developer is out to get you..

Just posted this to inform the developer, maybe it reaches him through here, because haven't answered through esoui.

Sure they have false positives, but this one references to autorun and most certainly don't want any crap running without my knowledge even it is with "good intentions".
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if i would be the developer of a free addon and someone would "expect" me to change something, i would ***** (self cencored for violating community rules).
    But i know him a bit, and unfortunately he is waaaaay too nice, always tried to answer and help even for the most stupid questions and requests.

I understand your point to not trust unknown software, really, but just because of the way you phrased it, the answer MUST be "[snip] off, take it or leave it"

[Minor edit for censor bypass]
    Edited by Psiion on May 14, 2020 10:36PM
  • Thicclady
    Thicclady
    ✭✭✭
    tim99 wrote: »
    if i would be the developer of a free addon and someone would "expect" me to change something, i would ***** (self cencored for violating community rules).
    But i know him a bit, and unfortunately he is waaaaay too nice, always tried to answer and help even for the most stupid questions and requests.

I understand your point to not trust unknown software, really, but just because of the way you phrased it, the answer MUST be "[snip] off, take it or leave it"

[Minor edit for censor bypass]

You are right. That is the attitude all over, that is why 99.9% of open source stuff is bad.

Edited by Psiion on May 14, 2020 10:37PM
  • HawkFest
    HawkFest
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't have any virus detection issue with this addon since I've installed it a month ago. However... After patch 29, two addon updates were installed via "minion". Yesterday, and then this morning. Yesterday's update didn't have the following problem which only appeared after this morning's update : now my anti-virus (Kaspersky) detects the optional tool, "essentialhousingcommunity.exe", as having PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic, and asks me to disinfect and restart or try to disinfect without a computer restart.

Some say generic stuff as a reason (what we'd wish for), like "false positive", or "hey he's a good person I know him since he's nice on the surface" etc. and whatnot... But: 1st I never judge a book by its "nice" cover; 2nd since my antivirus did not detect it as having some threat issue before the latest update (this morning's update), then I simply cannot trust this addon.

I've posted a message on ESOUI's addon feedback page, we'll see if the author will do something about this, or at least give an answer... In the mean time, I'd suggest to simply remove (let the antivirus do its repair job) the essentialhousingcommunity.exe tool.
  • HawkFest
    HawkFest
    ✭✭✭
    In reference to my previous post:
    rqqvdf6al8c4.png
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've met Kaspersky in person twice during business meetings.

I will never install anything on my computer that comes from a company that is associated with him.

That's all i'm going to say about the subject.
    dry.gif
  • HawkFest
    HawkFest
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    I've met Kaspersky in person twice during business meetings.

I will never install anything on my computer that comes from a company that is associated with him.

That's all i'm going to say about the subject.
    dry.gif

Well this is out of topic then... "Kaspersky Anti-virus" is a well-known and reputable anti-virus. Always among the tops on benchmarks. For me it's a piece of software, not a person, and it has protected my PC flawlessly since many years. Now if you have something to say about the person, say it: I don't know you personally either. Else it'd be mere slandering. There are people I like and that you like, as much as those that I like but you don't like and vice-versa: it's irrelevant.

If it is a false positive, then the Author should mention it. Or reverse to what made the previous update not to trigger the security flag in regards to a potential threat. It's not like if it'd be an utterly complicated endeavor... Security is a very serious issue and considered as such by most people (everybody as a matter of fact), way more than some internal bug.
  • HawkFest
    HawkFest
    ✭✭✭
    By the way... After visiting the feedback thread on ESOUI, I've noticed it's also been confirmed by others (an update suddenly triggering a security threat), and the Author doesn't answer to any question about it, which is quite odd.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HawkFest wrote: »
    By the way... After visiting the feedback thread on ESOUI, I've noticed it's also been confirmed by others (an update suddenly triggering a security threat), and the Author doesn't answer to any question about it, which is quite odd.

McAfee AntiVirus Plus says its ok

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus says its ok

Webroot says its ok

Norton AntiVirus Plus says its ok

all are a well-known and reputable anti-virus software

Always have more then 1 Anti Virus program for best results.

Here are posts of people having the same problem with Kaspersky, making false positives

"Kaspersky Anti-virus" says Microsoft Visual Studio is a security threat

"Kaspersky Anti-virus" says Office from Microsoft is a security threat

"Kaspersky Anti-virus" says Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm is a security threat

Please provide evidence of what exactly the "threat" is doing on your computer that makes is malicious.

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ignore
    Edited by TheImperfect on March 11, 2021 10:59PM
  • HawkFest
    HawkFest
    ✭✭✭
    I came back to mention that everything is ok now: the latest update doesn't trigger any potential threat notification. Thanks!
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cardinal is probably the nicest human on the planet. I trust his addon is virus free.
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Main PVE: Rynne, breton mag dk
    PVP: Levexa, EP nord mag dk
    Crafter: Sabaki Taiyo, khajiit templar
    RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't get essential housing to work at all for me. It keeps saying "install or enable and reloadui" and I have done that many times at this point.

Any suggestions, or known addons it doesn't play nicely with?
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis