The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

UI Interface/Mods Scaling Issue - Since Update

Cronikull
Cronikull
Since the big update a few weeks ago the game appearance has developed a personality without asking me.

All of the in-game UI Overlays and on-screen Mods have scaled up by about 75-100% and I can't change it. This issue only occurs in Gamepad mode and not in Keyboard mode. It's not a game breaker but is a bit annoying as it's stolen a considerable amount of screen real estate and I've had to move some things around to accommodate it.

None of my video settings have changed either by me or the update from what I can tell. My resolution remains at 3440x1440. The scaling option is switched off and I've never used it. I've experimented since the issue started with scaling which only seems to have an effect in keyboard mode. I've switched off all add-ons/mods from the Character screen with no effect.

I've been playing this game since October and often switch between gamepad and keyboard mode and my basic understanding of how settings work in that time is that they are in sync across the two modes. Am I right in that assumption or do the 2 modes keep separate settings?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Best Answers

• Cronikull
    Cronikull
    Thanks for the reply but why would they settle on a default size that is massive on my screen? Why can't they keep the default size somewhere in between the two? Their fix to a "myriad of issues" is to create another and spoil my enjoyment of the game ... thanks!

I'm almost speechless ... nothing about this change on the update news page ... nice.
    Answer ✓
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they've gone with the same fixed scale as console UI which is designed to be viewed from a couch a couple of meters away from your TV, not sitting at a desk where a monitor is much closer to you. The fact that you are playing in higher resolution exaggerates the issue even more.

There have been some mentions about ZOS seeing universally negative feedback to this change but I wouldn't keep my hopes up...

Information about this (and many other) change can be found in the patch notes. News page pretty much exists solely for some marketing articles.
    Answer ✓
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This change is intended. ZOS has disabled scaling for gamepad UI due to it causing "a myriad of issues".
  • Cronikull
    Cronikull
    @Royaji Thanks for the info, that seems to make a lot of sense and yes the resolution/aspect ratio I play with doesn't help. So, does this change even affect the add-ons/mods? Can they not be individually scaled if they're developed with that feature or has that ability been blocked to 3rd party modders also?

Do you have a link to the patch notes as I'm not sure where to find them.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, addons will still work, you can even fix some of the base UI issues with their help. I remember seeing a guide on how to setup mostly decent UI with addons some time ago but I can't find it right now. I believe Azurah was the main addon they've recommended. And there was something weird about having to setup addons in regular and gamepad mode separately to make it work.

You can find 5.3.4 patch notes here. Gamepad changes are on the very last page. An archive of all live patch notes can be found in Patch Notes & Hotfixes category.